Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Can I just post a big HOORAY?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2, 3:41pm

Post #1 of 7 (307 views)
Shortcut
Can I just post a big HOORAY? Can't Post

My alma mater (University of Notre Dame) women's basketball team just won the national college championship. Our team was down to seven scholarship players after 4 of the stars sustained season-ending injuries.

Friday was the semi-finals, and for the first time ever, both games went in to overtime. Notre Dame defeated University of Connecticut in overtime with a basket with 1 second left. U Conn has been a juggernaut for several years, winning 111 games before they lost the semi-final last year, then reeling off another 36 straight games. We came back from 7 points down at half-time, then pushed the game to overtime, then we won!

Last night, Sunday, was the championship game and it was another epic battle against Mississippi State. Mississippi State has a player who is 6 feet, 7 inches, and she's amazing. This game, we trailed by 13 points at half-time after scoring only three points in the second quarter (another unfortunate record). We fell behind by 15 points in the third quarter, but went on a 16-1 tear to tie the score by the end of the third quarter. We were behind by 5 points with about one minute left, tied it up, then got a last second shot to win 61-58 with 0.1 second left!

Part of our fight song has the words "What though the odds be great or small, old Notre Dame will win overall". That could not be more true than this past year. Congratulations to the lady Irish - we are so proud of you!

Oh, and our fencing team won the national championship a couple weeks ago, and our men's hockey team is in the "Frozen Four" - the NCAA semi-finals. I'm a proud alum today!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 7 (263 views)
Shortcut
*Offers congratulatory handshake* [In reply to] Can't Post

Notre Dame bested my Huskies in an excellent match. We're stilled awed at those last-second three-pointers! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2, 4:24pm

Post #3 of 7 (261 views)
Shortcut
I love that rivalry [In reply to] Can't Post

Notre Dame doesn't win as often as I would like, but the ND-UConn games are always exciting.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Apr 2, 8:01pm

Post #4 of 7 (239 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on winning against huge odds [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a good analyze before the tournament that this was UConn's best team of recent years, which is really saying something!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Eldorion
Gondor

Apr 2, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 7 (231 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3, 1:21am

Post #6 of 7 (218 views)
Shortcut
I saw those amazing plays on tv! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Saturday AND Sunday had amazing last-second plays :D Nail-biters fersher!

CONGRATULATIONS to your alma mater and those very incredible players! And that goes for the fencing and men's hockey teams, too!

GO IRISH!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 3, 2:36am

Post #7 of 7 (217 views)
Shortcut
Who am I to say 'no'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Post away! Laugh

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.