Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Gollum's escape from Moria?

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Apr 1, 5:22pm

Post #1 of 9 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Gollum's escape from Moria? Can't Post

I'm probably missing something obvious, but how did Gollum get out of Moria? He was following the Company, but then Gandalf destroyed the Bridge of Khazad-dum, which seems to have been the only way the the western gate. Any ideas?

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1, 5:45pm

Post #2 of 9 (1796 views)
Shortcut
He took the long way around. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were probably other ways across (or around) the chasm, though they might represented a long detour. Gollum was a very good climber and might have even found some crack leading to the surface that few aside from himself would have been able to squeeze through. There might have even been ventilation shafts.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 1, 6:18pm

Post #3 of 9 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Bat. [In reply to] Can't Post

A camp of the Great Bats of Morgoth was established in Moria during the time of the orcs. They had a knack for appearing when the need was great.

InTheChair
Lorien

Apr 1, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Through the door. [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides Gollum, a fair number of Orcs also managed to get out. Enough of them to both cause the Lothlorien wardens to gather at the borders, and also to later join up with Ugluk in Rohan.

So really i couldn't have been that difficult.

If you are asking specifically how did they cross the chasm of Khazad-Dm, I don't know. One would guess that they hastily constructed a new rope bridge or something of the kind.

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Apr 1, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 9 (1775 views)
Shortcut
I suppose you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think about the orcs, but they must have figured some way out.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Apr 21, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 9 (1582 views)
Shortcut
If you think about it, Gollum really got around.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings PD, saw this thread and looked at maps and Gollum must get some Middle Earth power walking gold medal for his treks. It seems Gollums murders Deagol by the Gladden Fields then goes into the Misty Mts nearby to the west. and years and years later he encounters Bilbo far to the north. Thorin and Co entered the mt section between Rivendell and the Old Forest Rd entrance on the other side. Escaping from wargs and goblins on the eagle express, they then went north to the carrock and beorn.

so over the years after the murder and entering the mts, gollum must have migrated north. he roamed underground in the dark, evading orcs and perhaps other creatures--as Gandalf pointed out there are darker fouler things living deep under the mts. losing the ring, he leaves mts, treks all the way to mordor, captured, tortured, released by dark lord, is captured by gandalf,aragorn, turned over to wood elves, then the sauron engineered escape and his wandering into moria to encounter the fellowship and begin tracking them. finally he hooks up with frodo and sam for the long journey back to mordor. for "a wretched gangrel creature" Gollum really got around. no wonder he was so learn.

and he had time to meet shelob and terrorize the woodmen of mirkwood as the ghost who tried to kill children in their cradles. gollum was truly a dark little force unto himself with the long life and hunger, inner fire the ring gave him. does this jibe with your mapping of gollum's travels??? feel free to dive in with your interpretations. those would seem to be the basics of his journey and eventual demise in mt. doom.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
*From the scroll rooms of Gondor, wondering about calluses on Gollum's feet.*

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Apr 21, 2:39pm)

newrow
The Shire

May 29, 9:10pm

Post #7 of 9 (959 views)
Shortcut
Gollum and Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

Good. I am not the only reader to guess the exit. But I want to know is why Gollum went into Moria in the first place? Did he sense the Ring of Power? I think may be, but I feel that he was a genius regarding the best approach to find his Precious. Did he meet some of Saruman's half-orcs and learned of the guard on the Gap of Rohan? Did he learn that Sauron sent dark rangers north of Lorien to waylay the Fellowship?

Why then did he befriend Shelob? Yes, yes. Gollum feared the Ringbearer would attempt to get the One Ring back to Sauron directly, so he had the wits to befriend Shelob with tastier meats by lying to Rangers of Ithilien and maybe too an elf passing by that a friend of his was caught by orcs and needing rescue.

I see five methods to exit Moria after the duel of the bridge:
1) on the make-shift bridge over the chasm made by orcs
[I think that was unlikely, but a troll could toss an orc holding a rope to start the temporary bridge construction]
2) Gollum exited before the duel. Remember that their was a chasm between the bridge and the hall's west portal. Gollum must of known that. Did he travel up the same stairs as the Fellowship since Gollum would avoid obvious paths of travel? "Look here. Quiet and seemingly unused. I will go this way since any luck to find the Ringbeaer would be where the Ringbearer wishes to avoid notice too."
3) Gollum exited through a dwarf-made shaft as spoken in the Upper Halls by Gandalf.
[I like this approach and how the orcs escaped Moria too with a broken bridge]
4) Gollum exited through an orc-made door similar to the method Bilbo escaped and this explains how the orcs soon followed the Fellowship. They had a 1000 years to made such a portal.
5) He was the on-duty tour guide of Moria and led the balrog and Gandalf the Grey to the uppermost tower Afterwards, he took the tram down to the Dwimmormere.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 31, 10:47pm

Post #8 of 9 (939 views)
Shortcut
Careful, you may be developing Gollum's mini series.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Newrow, liked your deepdive into gollum's nature and questions you raise. not sure i ever pondered that kind of stuff. just sort of took gollum as he is, though tolkien certainly gave him some humanity and softer moments in book hobbit and lotr. it is interesting to ponder and would have been a fabulous book or movie moment if gollum actually talked to an orc in some sort of conspiracy to find hobbit and ring. sauron letting him loose was a shrewd move, gollum would be a ring gps finder since he was drawn to it so much.

and what he would say to shelob and how she would respond (hissing spider common tongue??) would be hair raising to see or read in detail. yes, how gollum interacted with these middle earth denizens is fascinating. and what of being captured, tortured then turned loose from mordor - did he actually see and get mentally/physically blasted by sauron himself or the witchking for having the ring that was the dark lord's?? this has the makings of gollum: ringfinder, 8-10 pt miniseries. good stuff to ponder.

re: gollum leaving moria. he is mostly a coward and the fellowship, balrog, trolls, orcs in battle would have been too much for him. maybe he fled over the bridge to safety before the fellowship did, hid somewhere near exit or outside, to start shadowing them again. also he knew aragorn and gandalf from being captured and held by them before. so he'd be doubly wary, keep his distance.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field CaliphateFrom the scroll rooms of Gondor, mapping gollum's path, lots of ink and parchment needed.

newrow
The Shire

Jun 7, 5:47pm

Post #9 of 9 (835 views)
Shortcut
A deserving thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel, like you, that much needs to be considered to honor the book if deep thought is taken. Gollum's exit is one such example of the unexplained.I thinking now that Gollum did see to exit soon so to wait avoiding any roaming Orc patrol if any,and as you said previous captors. There were those orc guardsat the East-gate. Aragorn II slew their captain, so did Gollum fear more orcs deeper inside.

Also remember that Gollum knew the "secret" way through the Dead Marshes. Did he spend months in there for the sole purpose of knowingsuch a passage in this goal of finding the One Ring?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.