Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets key, unlocks door* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 90 (656 views)
Shortcut
*gets key, unlocks door* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, all and sundry, to a Springtime Fiesta Friday! Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, is up to her armpits in her work with clients (yes, for those in the U.S. the dreaded April 15th is quickly approaching). So I shall host today.

It's a lovely rainy Spring day in the Northeast of the U.S.! What's it like where you live? Are you starting the gardens, or plucking the ripened veggies?

I've got chocolate eggs all around the Bar and its environs today - also marshmallow Peeps and jelly beans. Of course! Tell us about your week, and what you'll be up to this weekend. Good Friday wishes to those who celebrate this day, and a happy Easter, and Passover blessings!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 30, 4:13pm)

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 90 (504 views)
Shortcut
Greetings (and other various and sundry salutatory exclamations)!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya dernwyn!

It's a lovely rainy day in the Southeast U.S., as well, though it's supposed to subside soon (unfortunately -- rainy days are my favorite).

Not up to much. Meditating over some changes to my resumé that I need to make, along with some research into potential paths within the job market I'd be happy to traverse (and hoping that one of them matches up to available paid-for training).

Other than that, just looking to get some recreational reading done (Fellowship of the Ring), in between playing with the cats.
Bruno is currently making quite the racket playing with a wee tiny wiffle ball in the bathtub.

Weekend isn't very heavily scheduled at the moment. Some minor vehicle maintenance, perhaps, along with more reading, and laundry.

Hope y'all have a good one!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 90 (517 views)
Shortcut
*drops suitcase, staff, & hankie* Howdy! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi dernwyn and all :D I'm so happy to be home from my NZ trip, though I'm already missing that magical land. May I snag a chocolate milkshake, please?

You know I'm working on my notes and pics for one of my long-winded stories of my adventure. I took the advice of a very wise sibbie *cough...dernwyn....cough* and started working on it while still in Kiwi-land... so I feel a little more ahead of the game.

In brief, I was in Wellington for 7 days (Friday to Friday early am) during which I mini-mooted with Lissuin and Tehanu *waves fondly :D*;
Friday am took a 9+hour train ride nearly the length of the North Island from Wellington to Hamilton; then the bus to Matamata;
Saturday Hobbiton Tour!!! *twitch*
Sunday bus back to Hamilton
Monday flight to Wellington; flight to Auckland; 12.5 hr flight left for LA
Tuesday (NZ) Monday (US) flight lands in LA (8-hour layover); flight to Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
Tuesday (US) flight to Detroit, Michigan; 3-hr drive home

I was basically 32 hours of travel (bus/plane/airport) going to Wellington and 41 hours to get back home.

I've been sleeping A LOT!

Cheers to one and all... and Happy Good Friday & Easter!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 30, 4:49pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 4:44pm

Post #4 of 90 (505 views)
Shortcut
Hey Wolfy! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me buy you a drink!

This is SO GREAT! I was recently thinking of you and all of the gang from our California adventures. What great days we all had :D I'd say we were definitely an invasion wherever we showed up ;)

Wiffle ball in the tub? What a great idea! My kitties love to chase those, but they always end up under the furniture as the patient felines crouch down glaring at them... like they just know those wiffles will come out sooner or later. ;)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! *high five while sitill smiling*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 90 (507 views)
Shortcut
Wow. I should very much like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to go to New Zealand, some day.
Can't wait to hear about (and see) your stories. The "there and back again" legs of your trip sound exhausting all by themselves, though.

Hope you have a restful weekend, gramma!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 4:51pm

Post #6 of 90 (499 views)
Shortcut
*gets handful of kitty treats* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya, Wolfy! I wish you all the best with the job-hunting, regardless of what "they" say it's still a tough market out there.

Are the cats helping you with your reading, when they aren't making happy noises? (I miss my old grey tiger, who'd insist on cuddling in my arms while I was at the computer or reading.) Here's some treats for them, and virtual ear-scritchies!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 4:58pm

Post #7 of 90 (504 views)
Shortcut
*snif* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh...oh my...you're there, at Bag End, and it's all so blooming gorgeously...*can't help it, does happy geeky dance* Did you just pull a letter out of that mailbox, or are you putting one in for Bilbo and Frodo?

One milkshake made with "Death By Chocolate" ice cream, coming up! Please feel free to make your story as long-winded as you'd like, gramma, we all want to hear (and see) all about it! It takes a looong time to travel halfway around the Earth, but it's so worth it, and I'm glad you stayed for many days there.

A very happy Easter to you! Do you remeber Lord of the Peeps? http://www.lordofthepeeps.com/

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 30, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 90 (503 views)
Shortcut
thank you for opening the bar, dernwyn :) [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for opening the bar, dernwyn. :)

in here, i'm well capable to buy a round for everyone, so please everyone fantasize about the perfect refreshment, and i'll make it happen. :)

can't wait to hear more of the new zealand jaunt. wishing everyone well.

many cheers -- :)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 90 (495 views)
Shortcut
How generous of you, Maciliel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Drinks "on the house", everyone! Wink I'll actually just get myself a hot coffee with milk and a spoonful of cocoa mix. Thank you!

I'm so stoked, that first pic of gramma at Bag End has me "geeking out"!

I hope you have a relaxing weekend, and that life is treating you well these days!

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 90 (495 views)
Shortcut
Grand days! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the shake! I haven't had one of those in ages! *bear hug*
Allow me to get your second round. Smile

Every time I find my way back here, I am flooded with the memories of the two TORnMoots (San Diego and Atlanta) of which I was a part that year.
(2004?? I can't believe it has been 14 years, already! Gah!)
I had such a wonderful time with everybody. Heart

Ahhh, Bruno and his ball. He is absolutely crazy for that thing. Number One Toy, fershur.

It sits atop my Tolkien books in my bookcase at night.
But as soon as he decides he needs it, he jumps up on my desk, reaches into the bookcase and hooks a claw into one of the holes in the ball, transfers it to his mouth, jumps down, and runs straight into the bathtub with it.
Thankfully, MOST nights he leaves the ball in the bookcase, but there have been a couple of times I've been startled awake in the wee dark hours by the sound of a plastic ball pinging off the inside walls of the tub.
And then, invariably, he carries it out into the living room and promptly loses it under the couch.
I could market an exercise plan based solely on fishing a cat's toys out from under the furniture, with a fully fleshed-out set, rep, and rest scheme, complete with a couch deadlift variation for more ambitious, less-patient types. ¡Ay, caramba!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 5:37pm

Post #11 of 90 (491 views)
Shortcut
*puts out "Self-Serve" sign* I need to head out for a bit, but come on in, the bar's open! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 5:43pm

Post #12 of 90 (493 views)
Shortcut
Oh, they'll love you for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ear scritchies AND kitty treats... you have two new friends! Laugh

It doesn't matter where I am while reading, sitting at my desk or the table, or lying on my bed, Bruno is intimately involved (often enough, offering up his entire body to hold the book open for me. He's SO gracious!). I have a pic of him curled in my arms here.

Gracie chooses to plop down and snuggle beside me, as close as possible. She's not too interested in the book, unless there is a snack right next to it.

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 5:46pm

Post #13 of 90 (502 views)
Shortcut
What? I'm sure I have no idea what chocolate eggs you all are on about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...dernwyn must have taken them with her. *halo*

cats16
Valinor

Mar 30, 6:25pm

Post #14 of 90 (493 views)
Shortcut
Well, you're back! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks as amazing as ever in little 'ole Hobbiton! You fit in nicely. Tongue And you're giving me that persistent itch to go back. :) Can't wait to hear your long-winded story. But in the meantime, so glad to see you've made it home safe and sound! What a travel itinerary!

Enjoy a weekend of relaxation!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Mar 30, 6:40pm

Post #15 of 90 (490 views)
Shortcut
A lovely day [In reply to] Can't Post

The birds are singing beautifully and the sun is pouring in. We were set to have a half day at work, but found out yesterday afternoon that management decided to give us the entire day off instead. I'm a little grumbly as I could've planned a trip if they'd made that decision sooner, but I'll take it nevertheless! Some much needed R&R is in store.

Just found out a friend from Chicago is visiting for the weekend so we're grabbing dinner tonight (if someone's in LA, they *will* inevitably make a Snapchat/Instagram post with a pic and I'll track them down Angelic). Then hiking in the morning, where I hope to find that hidden cave we managed to find last year. Or maybe we'll pick a different trail, who knows.

Had to make an unexpected trip home last weekend due to an uncle's passing. And, of course, it snowed like mad for the 24 hours I was in town.

I'm at over 70 movies for the year so far. Will probably bump it up by a couple this weekend, but I need to do some catch up if 365 still has any chance.

Happy Easter/Passover to those who celebrate, and a wonderful weekend to all!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 30, 8:58pm

Post #16 of 90 (474 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bloody Mary, extra Tabasco, por favor. Beautiful day here, brreze out of the North, a few fluffy clouds and altogether a gorgeous day to celebrate Good Friday.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 9:08pm

Post #17 of 90 (476 views)
Shortcut
I've had a lovely day off [In reply to] Can't Post

My company has a holiday today, which is unusual in the US. Our European offices have Friday and Monday off.

I've had a great day. Slept in (about half an hour, but still), leisurely coffee, a couple errands, and a pedicure.

Last night, I went to a reception at the Standard Club in Chicago. It's a private club, but they opened up their main lounge for an event. In their lounge, they have three wonderful panels created by Edgar Miller, a Chicago artist. The panels, created in the mid-1950s, depict scenes from the Chicago Fire, which devastated the city in 1871.

There are three panels, and they are very large, approximately 8 feet high and 20 feet long. The first panel shows the neighborhood where the fire started, including the infamous Mrs O'Leary's cow who had been long held responsible for starting the fire. Later research showed that the cow was not responsible, but for years Mrs O'Leary had to live with neighbors and city residents blaming her for the destruction.

The second panel shows downtown Chicago near the river. The fire started south of the Chicago River, and everyone thought the river would stop the fire. The fire didn't pause and leaped over the water, and caused destruction all the way to what was then the city limits (around Fullerton Avenue).

The third panel shows the city right after the fire, and people starting to rebuild while the ashes were still hot. There's an image within of the Columbian Exposition in 1893, where Chicago hosted the World's Fair.

The panels were fascinating, but what was even more interesting is that they were cut on black linoleum with a small, hand-held razor. Miller never once cut entirely through the linoleum.

Here's a picture of one of the panels. It's part of the second panel, where the fire reaches the Chicago River. Edgar Miller lived up the street from me, and his house has been converted into a museum of his work. His house is fascinating even from the outside, but the art is beautiful.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I don't have much planned, but ready to start with a nice scotch, neat.

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 9:25pm

Post #18 of 90 (459 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful artwork [In reply to] Can't Post

I am absolutely floored by what some people can do, art-wise, with such simple tools.
A hand-held razor? That's just amazing. Shocked

Have a great weekend, entmaiden!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 30, 9:27pm

Post #19 of 90 (468 views)
Shortcut
*helps self to a proper 1420* [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother's away so I'm looking after his cat ... and his Sky TV. Cool I had a lovely afternoon yesterday watching the most of the first day of test cricket between NZ and England - it's been aaaaages since I've watched test cricket live. I was in bliss (especially when kitty decided to sleep on my lap for the first time). Evil

I'll be heading back there today for round two. Smile

Happy Easter, everyone! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 30, 9:29pm

Post #20 of 90 (464 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you're back home safely! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great photo of you, gramma. Smile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 30, 9:32pm

Post #21 of 90 (457 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's amazing detail. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Here's a picture of one of the panels. It's part of the second panel, where the fire reaches the Chicago River.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 10:03pm

Post #22 of 90 (446 views)
Shortcut
It was amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

One of those pieces that you always see something new every time.

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 30, 10:04pm

Post #23 of 90 (446 views)
Shortcut
That's some nice [In reply to] Can't Post

linoleum carving. Wink

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 10:05pm

Post #24 of 90 (443 views)
Shortcut
We had someone giving us a history [In reply to] Can't Post

and he pointed out how Miller used the razor blades sideways to show depth. I absolutely got the sense of depth. There are no known drawings or sketches of this work, so the speculation is that Miller did this freehand.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 10:07pm

Post #25 of 90 (446 views)
Shortcut
What is "test" cricket [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it different from regular cricket?

Have a lovely weekend, Ataahua!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.