Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Happy Tolkien Reading Day!!

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 25, 1:00pm

Post #1 of 19 (2207 views)
Shortcut
Happy Tolkien Reading Day!! Can't Post

As might be inferred (since it is definitely implied), I am currently submerged in the pages of Fellowship.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 27, 1:43pm)

Tolkien R.J.J
Bree

Mar 25, 5:12pm

Post #2 of 19 (2121 views)
Shortcut
Battles of Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice collection. Im about to start a new one to mine called the battles of Tolkien by David Day.

“I am a Christian, that fact can be deduced from my stories.”
-J.R.R Tolkien

“A free society isn't something nice if you can get it, it’s worth laboring, fighting and dying for. The reason free people of the west fight Mordor to preserve their freedom.”
J.R.R Tolkien

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Mar 25, 6:50pm

Post #3 of 19 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Let us know how it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Day has a rather dodgy reputation already among Tolkienists, and in looking at the Goodreads reviews for this one, which came out earlier this year, I see similar warning signs about his usual sloppy work behind a gorgeous facade. All seem to agree that the artwork is very attractive, though.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ginkgo Marie

Mar 25, 7:50pm

Post #4 of 19 (2091 views)
Shortcut
The ring is destroyed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gondorian New Year's Eve revelries resulted in a late start to this Tolkien Reading Day; now it shall be Hobbits all the way down (accompanied by coffee, treats and Alan Lee's incredible illustrations). It's as good a time as any to forge ahead and enter the next Age. Happiest of days to all!

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Mar 25, 10:07pm

Post #5 of 19 (2079 views)
Shortcut
What a beautiful shelf! [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, am reading FotR at the moment. Currently, I am sitting with Gandalf as he tries to decipher the password to the doors of Moria.

Happy Tolkien Reading Day!

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Tolkien R.J.J
Bree

Mar 25, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 19 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Day has a rather dodgy reputation already among Tolkienists, and in looking at the Goodreads reviews for this one, which came out earlier this year, I see similar warning signs about his usual sloppy work behind a gorgeous facade. All seem to agree that the artwork is very attractive, though.

Thanks for the warning. What should I watch for or what has he done in the past?

“I am a Christian, that fact can be deduced from my stories.”
-J.R.R Tolkien

“A free society isn't something nice if you can get it, it’s worth laboring, fighting and dying for. The reason free people of the west fight Mordor to preserve their freedom.”
J.R.R Tolkien

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Mar 26, 1:50am

Post #7 of 19 (2065 views)
Shortcut
He tends to embroider [In reply to] Can't Post

WIth Day, what's "Tolkien" is sometimes what he'd like it to be, rather than what the Prof actually wrote. But use your own judgment - I haven't read the Battles book, just a few user reviews. Let us know what you think.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 26, 12:47pm

Post #8 of 19 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my favorite bookcase!

You're a little further along than I am; I'm still in the Shire, just after Bilbo's party.
I'm kinda savoring every word (like coming home to a good friend), and the rainy day yesterday made it a very sleepy affair.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26, 1:54pm

Post #9 of 19 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Hey Wolfy - great to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just want to note that your picture is too large and exceeds our image guidelines. Just this once, for you, I re-sized it and replaced your picture.

I just started FOTR this weekend, but it's early days for me. I'm still in the Shire, and Gandalf is telling Frodo what he's learned about the Ring. The Shadow of the Past is one of my favorite chapters.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26, 1:59pm

Post #10 of 19 (1987 views)
Shortcut
Researching [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid my reading of Tolkien yesterday was limited to research on East Rhovanion and its environs. I'm still having trouble determining if the Noman-lands is just another name for the Brown Lands or if it is a separate area located between Dagorlad and Cirith Gorgor (the Haunted Pass). I think the latter might be a misconception introduced in Karen Wynn Foster's The Atlas of Middle-earth.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 26, 2:38pm

Post #11 of 19 (1983 views)
Shortcut
Hi entmaiden! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! You're ahead of me, then. I'm still at Bag End, just after Bilbo's party.
I got interrupted earlier in the day by my sister visiting, and then the rain lulled me to sleep.

Oh! Sorry about the pic!
Was it the file size? Because I specifically took a good bit of time to size it down so that it was under the 210,000 pixel limit.
However, having taken so much time to shrink it so that it could still be read, I just assumed the file size was OK after I did that (since it's just a static image), rather than actually check it.
Oops!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26, 5:44pm

Post #12 of 19 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Yes - file size [In reply to] Can't Post

We still limit the size to 50k and the original was about 250k.

I am enjoying this read-through so much. It's been a couple years, and I am going slowly, so you might get ahead of me soon.

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 26, 5:54pm

Post #13 of 19 (1973 views)
Shortcut
I'm going slow, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been awhile since I've read anything, actually, so, Middle-earth being one of my favorite places, literarily-speaking, I'm savoring every word.

I'll pay closer attention to file size going forward.

It's nice seeing you again, too! Glad to be back. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 12:35am

Post #14 of 19 (1860 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Wolfy!! :D *flying tackle hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! It's so great to see you!!! :D This is wonderful! I love your treasure shelf!

I'm well into The Fellowship of the Ring of my original , battered 1965 edition, though I'm moving along slower than usual. I've had quite a few distractions since I started my annual read; but I'll get there fersher!

I hope all is well with you and you're having many good times!

*huggles... still smiling*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 1:33am

Post #15 of 19 (1857 views)
Shortcut
gramma!!! :D *bear hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard you went on an adventure to New Zealand! I'm so happy to hear that. Sly I'd say that's QUITE a distraction!
I've been out of the loop for a while; had you been there before?

I'm doing ok(ish). My cats are keeping me sane. I'll need to edit a couple of pics so I can post them.

I'm taking my time with this read-through, as well. I'm only in Chapt. 2; Gandalf has just started telling Frodo what he has found out about the ring.

*'nother bear hug* I hope you have been well!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 11:08am

Post #16 of 19 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh... kitties :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few of my own, but one is the light of my life :) FELL BEAST, but she prefers to be called baby now ;) She hasn't let me out of her sight since I got home. She's either on my lap, draped over my shoulder or at my feet asking to be picked up in her sweet coaxing trills.

This was my second (and last) trip to NZ. I went for about a week in March 2010. I love that place!!!

Can't wait to see your kitty-pics :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 2:02pm

Post #17 of 19 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Whatta doll! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are my two, Bruno (orange) and Gracie (grey).

Snoozing after breakfast, about a week after we brought them home.

We adopted them from a cat shelter two weeks after we lost our ol' gal, Sheila (she was 19). I wasn't quite ready (I take the loss of my cats extremely hard), but I was out-voted.
My mother had seen Gracie on the local afternoon news, during a segment wherein this particular shelter showcases a ready-to-adopt pet every Friday, and we were at the shelter first thing Saturday morning.
Since I was over-ruled on getting another cat so soon, I insisted we get two. (Getting a headbutt from Bruno before I even had his cage door all the way open might have played into my decision a wee tiny bit. Plus, Sheila, who was technically my mother's cat, had been a little lonely since my cat Toffee passed a few years earlier, and I didn't want another cat to be without a playmate.)

I caught a little flack from my sister for naming Bruno (they had named him Snuggles at the shelter), but I could tell when I first took him into my arms, post-headbutt (he was 4 months old, and Gracie just over 2 months when we adopted them), that he was going to be a beast when he grew up; he was already quite muscular, and when he walks he reminds me of the cartoon bulldogs in the old WB and Tom & Jerry cartoons, the way he moves his front legs. His shoulders and front legs are bulky.
And he has grown into his name; he is a solid, frenetic, block of muscle and he is absolutely fearless.

However, Snuggles also definitely fits his personality.

Curled up inside the circle of my arms, reading with me at the kitchen table.
(and by that I simply mean that it's a table which happens to be located at one end of the kitchen; it's not a table for eating.
It's where I sit when I'm cooking dinner and waiting for the timer, etc.)

Gracie is a little (if only just slightly) more delicate. She was the runt of her litter (Bruno and she are not related), so she's a little on the small side.
Though, I think she's trying to change that, if her appetite is any indication. At eight months old, she has become a bit of a pudgemuffin; definitely has some hobbit in her personality.

Imploring me for a second breakfast

However, she can also be quite mad (insane) at times.
They spend a great deal of the day chasing each other from one end of the house to the other, and they can sometimes get a little rough. (Gracie gives just as good as she gets.)
Bruno will sometimes quite literally press his size and weight advantage over her, and Gracie rather firmly tells him when she's not happy about it.

So one day when the quiet was shattered by a series of horrendous vocalizations emanating from Gracie in another room, I thought Bruno was being too aggressive, so I ran to break it up.

I got to the room and peeked in... Bruno was not in the room.

Gracie was all alone, chasing her tail and pouncing back and forth and running in circles, yowling growling snarling and snorting, just as loud as she could be, and having a grand ol', utterly insane time playing all by herself.

Oof. Sorry for being so long-winded, off-topically speaking. I hope it will be allowed to stand.
I lost my dad somewhat suddenly to cancer [seven weeks of hell] at the end of 2016, and my mother's health (which is why I live with her) has been a bit precarious at times over the last year (she's ok at the moment), and that's on top of me being unemployed for an extended time.
(Jeez, it seems like I'm always something of a mess, dudnit?)

These two crazy loveballs have done so much to keep me on a [relatively] even-keel lately, and I tend to wax quite profoundly about them.

(This post was edited by Carcharoth on Mar 30, 2:09pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 10:48pm

Post #18 of 19 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Your story and your babies are just brilliant! :D *still chuckling*

You've lost so much... your Dad and beloved Sheila; and being there for your Mom is wonderful, but it all takes a toll.

Isn't it funny how fate just steps in and helps us in spite of ourselves!? I love your story of how Bruno and Gracie came into your hearts and lives... they sound PURRRFECT! So different but so compatible with each other and your Mom & you. I truly believe our pets help us so much and they always know they've been saved. There's something very special with those we save... and who ultimately save us :)

I LOVE THESE PICS! Oh man... they're awesome! Your table sounds like mine ;) DON'T TOUCH THE STUFF ON THE TABLE! There is an organization there. Anytime I move something, I never see it again!

You got me with Bruno's head butt. Baby does that ALL the time with me, and I love it.

My other indoor cat, Monkey, is a HUGE old mess of neuroses, but she's hilarious. About 32 pounds of a blend of Jaba the Hutt and Bozo the Clown. She's 13yo I found as a kitten.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 30, 11:51pm

Post #19 of 19 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Awww, Monkey... [In reply to] Can't Post

...looks like how I feel most days, these days. Blush
Whatta chubby cutie!

Thank you, gramma. You just brought tears to my eyes. *sniffle* Heart
I always seem to find my way back here when I need it.
Maybe I should stop wandering off, eh? Wink

I’m glad you made it back home to us safe and sound, gramma. *hug*
But I’m glad you got to go to NZ. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.