The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Beorn vs Balrog

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Mar 23 2018, 6:07pm

Post #1 of 5 (27690 views)
Shortcut
Beorn vs Balrog Can't Post

I think there is a consensus that only spiritual power can permanently defeat a Maia. However their physcal form can be defeated even if it is temporary.

Beorn is the closest thing to an analog for Beowulf from our realworld mythology. Beowulf was superhuman with the strength of thirty men and defeated Grendel and the Dragon with courage, ferocity, and brute strength.

Beorn is a gigantic man with superhman strength who can transform into a gigantic bear of immense proportion and destructive capability. He was the Deus Ex Machina force that turned the tide at the Battle of Five Armies. The description of his wrath at the BoFA is staggering and almost biblical.

I think he could physically dmage the Balrog enough for a temporary victory.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 24 2018, 5:05am

Post #2 of 5 (27668 views)
Shortcut
Afraid Balrog is just toooo much - not even sure Beorn in Bear form could even [In reply to] Can't Post

injure the Balrog.....burn his mouth and claws doing so.

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Mar 25 2018, 2:30am

Post #3 of 5 (27651 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel and Ecthelion were able to melee with Balrogs and destroy them though they died in the process. Elves aren't resistent to fire like Dwarves are. I'm not sure Gandalf's human for had any great resistance to fire. All perished in defeating the Balrogs but it was their spiritual power that actually destroyed the spirt inhabiting the Balrog. Beorn wouldn't be able to do that but he would definitely have the strength to crush or affect their physical form.

He was unassailable at the BoFA and seemed to do more mass damge than any other being in the Hobbit or LotR save Smaug, even more than the any singular Ent. Given that he was an army wrecker puts him a class of very few creatures in the Tolkien Legendarium.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2018, 5:54am

Post #4 of 5 (27641 views)
Shortcut
Ok, so I read that as "Alfrid Balrog" [In reply to] Can't Post

and flashed to two distinct mental interpretations at the same time. 1. Alfrid vs. the Balrog "Yeaaah, burn him to a crisp!" and 2. Alfrid AS the Balrog (as in, a Balrog with Alfrid's face) "NOOOOOOOOOO! Where's the brain bleach?!?!?"

As I am still recovering from #2, I have no opinions on the original question. Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2019, 11:35pm

Post #5 of 5 (4502 views)
Shortcut
Balrog. No contest// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.