The Watching Thread: "Just say I'm old-fashioned. That should be enough."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2018, 8:43pm

Post #26 of 32 (533 views)
Shortcut
Ready Player One - 4/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

So much fun and such great visuals. I really enjoyed it.

It's got the outline of the book but the meaty stuff in between is different (the book references a lot of Spielberg stuff and Spielberg didn't want to do that in the movie) so be ready for that and just go along for the ride.

Now I'm going to re-read the book. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 1 2018, 8:44pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 2 2018, 7:00am

Post #27 of 32 (524 views)
Shortcut
Gondor in F.A. 120 had no mass communication. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Apr 2 2018, 7:03am)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 2 2018, 10:26am

Post #28 of 32 (514 views)
Shortcut
Heh. Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

First, the bad (in my opinion):

Pilate and Simon Zealotes didn't do much for me (to be fair, in Simon's case he may have been too active during the number to also sing well consistently - that's a trade-off decision probably made by the director rather than the actor). "Superstar" itself went the way too many versions of the Star-Spangled Banner go these days. Everyone wants to put a personal stamp on it to make it memorable without thinking through whether or not tweaking it is a good idea. Some sections didn't even recognizably sound like "Superstar" to me. Finally, the live audience was just too loud at points such as when the major characters each appeared or a number familiar to fans began.

The in-between:

Peter was neither bad nor memorable. When you cast Alice Cooper, it's to get Alice Cooper - make of that what you will regarding casting him as Herod.

The good:

Judas (except for the comment above), Mary Magdelene, Caiaphas, Annas and John Legend's Jesus were all quite good.

I also saw the premiere of "The Terror". Classy, great production values and fine cast.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 2 2018, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 32 (494 views)
Shortcut
Less can certainly be more [In reply to] Can't Post

Another Doctor Who I liked was "Blink," where those creepy angels were only after a few people and not out to destroy the world/universe. There's a lot to be said about keeping the sense of peril close and personal.

It just made me think of "Get Out," where the danger was focused on one person, even if there were larger issues at stake. It wasn't about the world hanging in the balance, and you can identify with one person's fear and isolation.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 11 2018, 9:12pm

Post #30 of 32 (455 views)
Shortcut
Last Jedi & Justice League [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I feel the exact opposite as you on "Last Jedi," in fact I wrote an essay defending it on my blog, which you can read here (if you want to): https://hobbitized.wordpress.com/...se-of-the-last-jedi/

I felt LJ opened the door for more adventures that weren't tied to the original cast, and as for Luke, I just don't get why people don't get him. He's not the young, idealistic guy from the first movie anymore, but then again who is? I know I'm not the same, and in some ways I'm more cynical and disillusioned than I used to be. But I guess I'm just the weird one that likes movies that everyone else doesn't, like "The Hobbit."Evil

As for "Justice League," well I really, really like Jason Momoa, but unfortunately it seems he can play one character only - the Badass Brawler. He plays it well, but still....Unimpressed Yeah Batman got bruised a lot, but there were hints in the movie that he might step back & let WW take over, which actually makes a lot of sense. Interesting that you would complain about the "save the world" meme. I just re-watched "Batman v. Superman," which kind of dealt with perceived threats as opposed to really saving the world, also rivalry and the kind of collateral damage that happens in these kind of slugfests. It didn't do as good of a job in that respect as "Captain America: Civil War," but it's an interesting concept nonetheless. I might point out that Flash appears to have a different motive, proving his father didn't kill his mother & all. Hopefully his stand-alone movie will spend some time on that.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 11 2018, 9:15pm

Post #31 of 32 (456 views)
Shortcut
Very interested in "The Terror" [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I don't get cable, so I'll have to wait awhile to see it.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2018, 3:10am

Post #32 of 32 (444 views)
Shortcut
Heroes and Bad Boys [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, in reverse order: I had no idea who Jason Momoa was when I saw the first season of Game of Thrones, and I really & truly wondered where they found that primitive guy to so convincingly play Khal Drogo. It was funny to find out who he was and then see him on Youtube clips appearing on "The Tonight Show" or whatever acting normal. But, that isn't to say he can play any role in Shakespeare, and I think he's really just cut out to be the bad boy who gets physical. (And always looks pretty. What happens if he shaves all that hair? Does he disappear?)

And thanks for the link to your blog entry. I don't follow the Star Wars franchise close enough to know all the details, but I thought the current trilogy was supposed to seal the deal for awhile, so my reaction was based on feeling like we are 2/3 through and don't have much to show for it, and there's only so much you can cram in the final 1/3. If, however, we're opening the gates for all sorts of other things to develop, I'm all for that.

I think I was disappointed in Luke for 2 reasons: 1) I found him boring, plain and simple, and 2) for all the reasons you cite in your blog, I think a part of me wanted him to be the blond kid hero full of enthusiasm and naivete again who saves the day. And you're right: he grew up, we all grew up, so he really shouldn't reprise that role. But another part of me wanted him to be Yoda-like, the grand old wise one, a role that I thought was hinted at in Return of the Jedi, particularly when he visited Jabba the Hut's camp to liberate Han and acted Obi-Wan-like. He's a lot older than that now in the SW-verse, and I was hoping for something more like the Yoda we saw in Empire Strikes Back: wisdom concealing great power, someone who will help the younger generation succeed where he failed. He was none of that. I think Leia played the Wise One this time much more than him, so kudos to her role.

Anyway, glad you liked it. I hope I like the 3rd installment.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.