Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a 'reading Tolkien' Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 26 (895 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to a 'reading Tolkien' Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone!

As probably 99.9% of you know, March 25 (the day of Sauron's fall in LOTR) was designated as Tolkien Reading Day by the Tolkien Society many years ago, and has become a world-wide tradition. So, in the spirit of Tolkien Reading Day, there are various Tolkien books, essays and poems scattered around the bar next to the comfy chairs - all for you to enjoy while ordering your favorite virtual libation and nibble from the buffet.

Not that anyone here has to have their arms twisted Wink, but were you planning on reading anything written by Tolkien this weekend? If you were, what would you pick up, open, and read? We meet monthly for dinner with some friends of ours (have been for years) to read Tolkien-y things, and right now we're working our way through J.R.R. Tokien, Artist and illustrator, by Wayne Hammond and Christian Scull. While not altogether about Tolkien's words, it offers amazing insights into his life, imagination, and artwork, and covers his entire life from when he was a child to well past writing and illustrating LOTR and The Hobbit. They really did their research, and I highly recommend buying it, and actually reading it (which I confess was all I did for many years of owning the book Blush).

If reading wasn't in your plans this weekend, let us know what is, and/or what occupied you this past week!

*puts quarters on juke box* - some nice reading music please!

Happy weekend everyone! LaughHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 26 (817 views)
Shortcut
Any Tolkien book by H&S is excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Artist and Illustrator" is a favorite of mine. Heart

With Palm Sunday on the same day, I'd forgotten the Reading Day was coming up (although gramma's TiME posts are bringing us closer and closer). I do have a couple of Tolkien-related books which I picked up but haven't read yet, one is about the Inklings, this would be a good reason to pull it out from behind Bilbo and Smaug* (who "guard" my shelves of Tolkien books, sitting next to each other with legs/foreclaws hanging over the edge).

Hot tea for me today, please, Altaira! It's still on the chilly side, but we managed to just skirt this last storm (only 2" here while south of us was getting quite dumped on). How's your spring planting coming along?

*puts quarters in juke box, "Here Comes the Sun" starts to play*

*He's actually a lovely dragon which my eldest picked up years ago when computer monitors were huge things, and who wouldn't want a great green dragon sitting on top, protecting their work? Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 26 (815 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about you this week and wondering if you were getting the brunt of the storm. Glad to hear you avoided the worst! I'll send some of our sun-shiny, 70 degree temps your way. Smile

Even though it's been warming up here, it's much too early to plant anything outside. We had a number of freezes and snowstorms in April last year, even into May! But, cleanup and weeding will definitely be on the to-do list.

Any chance we could get a picture of Bilbo and Smaug one of these days? They sound adorable!

Have a great weekend! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 26 (816 views)
Shortcut
Cleanup! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's on the list here - so much small stuff has come down, but I'm glad it hasn't been the large branches.

I'll see if I can get a pic of those two when I get back home. Have a pleasant weekend, and do send some of those temps this way! Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 26 (814 views)
Shortcut
'The Wisdomfold Path' by Kelly Sedinger [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently reading book two of a science fiction series, The Song of Forgotten Stars, written by one of my wife's co-workers. It is a star-spanning story of forgotten empires and lost worlds. The third volume has already been published.

I am likely to make some time this weekend to at least reference some Tolkien as I am also working on some home-brewed (unofficial) material for The One Ring Roleplaying Game on the lands and peoples of East Rhovanion and the Sea of Rhűn (though probably not the folk of Dorwinion--at least for the time being). I've got Rhűnic Dwarves in the hills and East-elves in the wood, as well as distant kinsmen of the Bardings, Woodmen and Rohirrim.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 23, 4:59pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 23, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 26 (814 views)
Shortcut
F for Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eight years ago, TORN celebrated Tolkien Reading Day with a variety of games and discussions, including a Reading Room thread in which TORNadoes offered some Tolkienian thoughts about each letter of the alphabet. It's poignant just to look back on the list of subjects and contributors:

A for Arkenstone [entmaiden]
B for Beowulf [SirDennisC]
C for Cerin Amroth [GAndyalf]
D for Denethor [Hamfast Gamgee]
E for Erendis [acheron] and Eärendil [Night Wolf]
F for Fëanor [Elizabeth]
G for Gandalf [Nerdanel]
H for Halfling [aranelthehobbit22]
I for Ioreth [dernwyn]
J for Josef Stalin [Pryderi]
K for Kirith Ungol [Modtheow]
L for Lothlórien [drogo] and Letters [Elwen]
M for Morwen [Saelind]
N for Niggle [Finding Frodo]
O for Olórë Mallë [Oiotári]
P for Peregrin Took [fairelvenlady]
Q for Quickbeam [batik]
R for Rosie [Rosie-with-the-ribbons]
S for Smith of Wootton Major [Evernight]
T for Tolkien [Magpie]
U for Uolë Kúvion [Dân o’Nandor-on-Anduin]
V for Voronwë [Voronwë the Faithful]
W for Woses [Tweezers of Thu]
X for X-Ray Vision [NottaSackville]
Y for Yggdrasil [N.E. Brigand]
Z for Zirakzigil [weaver]

J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator (1995) is indeed a wonderful book. (Did you get yours signed in 2004?) Hammond and Scull have followed up on it with The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (2011) and The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (2015). Here's what I wrote about the former in "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2011":

Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull’s The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (London: HarperCollins, 2011) publishes more than 100 illustrations that represent nearly all of Tolkien’s artwork associated with his first published fiction; of these, about 30 were previously unpublished. A chapter on The Hobbit was already the longest in J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, produced by Hammond and Scull in 1995. Since most of the newly-appearing material consists of rough sketches, it may seem that this is a work only for completists, but the illustrations are generally printed larger than in earlier works, and even those in black ink on white paper are published in superior color photographs. Hammond and Scull have taken advantage of technological improvements to make the colors truer to the original and also to identify details previously obscured. Sequences of drawings and paintings, like the eight versions of Hobbiton and the Hill, are published as expansive gatefolds. Near the end, all of Tolkien’s drawings of Bilbo, generally details from other pictures, are gathered for easy comparison. Paul Bignell’s news article, “Lost Hobbit Images Get First Showing” (Independent on Sunday, Oct. 23, 2011: 24), deserves mention only to clarify that the sensationalist title refers to the publication of The Art of The Hobbit (a title never mentioned in the article) and not some other “lost” images.

In a later paragraph, I noted that Hammond and Scull didn't include quite everything: in the one-volume edition of The History of The Hobbit, published that same year, John Rateliff includes two rough doodles of Gandalf's hat that were otherwise unpublished.

Have a great weekend, Altaira!

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 26 (800 views)
Shortcut
That all sounds very interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to look into that sci-fi series (as if I'll have a major span of available reading time anytime soon Frown). But it does sound interesting, as does your RPG research!

Enjoy!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 6:06pm

Post #8 of 26 (801 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a walk down memory lane looking at that list. I love Voronwe's suggestion for the letter 'V' Tongue.

I have two copies of Artist and illustrator: one I had signed at Marquette, and one I married into. Among many other things, marrying another Tolkien fan has it's advantages in that you both acquire books you didn't have, editions you didn't have (U.S. vs. British), and extra copies of things. Smile

You have a great weekend, too!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 26 (797 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first volume in Kelly Sedinger's series is titled Stardancer. I'll admit that I began it with some trepidation as it is self-published under his Forgotten Stars Books label, but it's holding up for me. It is available through Amazon.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 23, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 26 (798 views)
Shortcut
I've been feeling the pull, lately. [In reply to] Can't Post

The pull to read LotR again, and the pull in my back from cleaning up this bleeping spring snowfall! I saw that the Monroe County Sheriff's office put out a warrant for Punxsutawney Phil. Well, I've been offering to take him down for years, for free!

I'd like to look at my early blooming flowers again, but I don't feel like digging them out from under that thick white blanket. I can barely summon the energy to do more genealogy work online. A dark hot chocolate with a touch of raspberry might ease some of the misery, but the healing hands of the King would be a purrrific accompaniment right about now. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 23, 6:29pm

Post #11 of 26 (790 views)
Shortcut
Scull and Hammond once wrote about that very thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe they talked about it in an interview: merging collections upon marrying another Tolkien fan. And their collection is vast.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 23, 6:30pm

Post #12 of 26 (798 views)
Shortcut
"...there lie in my hoard many records that few now can read -- or would want to." [In reply to] Can't Post

By coincidence I am awash in reading about Tolkien this week and next. As N. E. Brigand used, I now contribute to 'The Year's Work in Tolkien' for the annual scholarly journal Tolkien Studies. Unlike in his day, the various categories of work are now distributed to several victivolunteers. For the year in question, 2015, I am reading and reviewing 15 articles and books on "Reception and Adaptation" of Tolkien's works, and 17 articles and books on "General Criticism (Other)". I am about half way through, and "Deadline's A-Comin', and She's Comin' On Strong" as my implacable editor reminds me.

Sounds like fun, you say? Well, at times, yes. But at far more times one nods regretfully that Brian Rosebury's famous condemnation of Tolkien's "indifferent secondary literature" remains as valid as ever. A lot of this stuff is fairly boring, or worse, fairly badly written. It's not a good afternoon of work on this project when the only joy I can look back on is coming up with a good line to conclude a review of a "self-centered and elegaic ramble": "The author is prone to flaws of grammar, rather shocking in a freshman composition instructor."

There are good pieces, to be sure, and I am really looking forward to reading in the next few days - maybe March 25, even - the two works actually by Tolkien: The Story of Kullervo and The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun (accompanied for some reason by a Serbian translation).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 6:36pm

Post #13 of 26 (790 views)
Shortcut
Poor back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Being the primary shoveller of snow in our household, I can relate! i actually enjoy shovelling snow 95% of the time. It's those really horrid mega-storms that get to you; the ones where you have to do one swatch multiple times, and lift heavy snow instead of light, fluffy stuff.

*pours large cup of dark hot chocolate with a bit of raspberry liquor to top it off*

It would be a perfect excuse to rest that back by doing some reading this weekend! Wink

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 26 (791 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I have good timing [In reply to] Can't Post

Just last night I started reading LOTR for the six millionth time (and counting!). I knew that March 25 was coming, which I think of as the day the Fourth Age started as well as the fall of Sauron, but I didn't make the connection that it is also Tolkien Reading Day.

I'm sticking with Raspberry Iced Tea today. Last night we had a Bingo Night at our neighborhood association, and much fun was had, along with too much wine for me. We all brought white elephant gifts for the winners, and we competed as hard as if we had "real" prizes ("No fighting over Bingo!" was our mantra). One of the neighbors was a six-year old little girl, Clare, who brought her visiting grandparents. It was Clare who wanted to come, and she went home with an Ariel doll - she was glowing she was so happy. I think I got the best prizes - a bottle of wine and a dark chocolate bar. Everyone ended up winning, and we hope to do it again.

I have been having a string of bad luck with my car tires. A couple months ago, one of the valve stems was damaged, so that was replaced. Then last month I got a flat while driving in a snowstorm (that was ugly - trying to change a flat in the middle of slush). Then another tire started to go flat. I finally went in and got new tires, and just last weekend one of them was almost flat! Another trip to the tire store, where they discovered that their mechanic had damaged one of the valve steps during installation. They fixed it no charge, so now I'm hoping I've seen the end of my tire troubles.

No big plans for me this weekend. I've been volunteering on Saturdays since January, preparing tax returns for low income families, so my weekends have been short. Next weekend we are off because our site (a community college) is closed for Spring Break. I'm really looking forward to a weekend off, and the end of tax season!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 26 (783 views)
Shortcut
A rainy weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's feeling quite autumnal today with steady rain and cooler temps. I've been following the day/night cricket test between England and NZ but, frustratingly, it's also being affected by rain. Fingers-crossed we get some play today.

I've got a family dinner tonight with three of my siblings and their SOs. We picked a restaurant next to a beach for the view but with this weather, it'll likely be dark by then! Ah well, can't nail everything. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 26 (777 views)
Shortcut
Rain here, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

My gardening plans will have to wait for a nicer day. It's just the day for catching up on my bookkeeping, though :)

Artist and Illustrator will be my choice for tomorrow, too. We also plan to make fish and chips (hopefully as good as Sam's) in honour of the day - which is also the day we celebrate the life of our Kimi-cat, who loved fish Very Much Indeed.

A run-around sort of week. We went to the Big City, where I had an optometrist's appointment and also had my hair trimmed. The city always leaves me exhausted, but it does make me appreciate living in the countryside even more!

I finally got around to writing up our Waihau Bay visit in this blog post.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 24, 4:37am

Post #17 of 26 (735 views)
Shortcut
Not Autumnal here, thank the Lord! [In reply to] Can't Post

South wind with warm temps

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 24, 4:39am

Post #18 of 26 (734 views)
Shortcut
You can have my share [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We also plan to make fish and chips (hopefully as good as Sam's)

I seem to be lacking whatever tastebud makes one like fish, no matter how prepared.Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 24, 3:44pm

Post #19 of 26 (700 views)
Shortcut
I've just recently... [In reply to] Can't Post

...acquired the final volume I needed for my History of Middle-earth collection (the Index; though I plan to order a hardcover copy as soon as I am able, since the rest of my HoMe volumes are HC), and I've embarked on a reading/study of my full Tolkien collection.
I just finished The Hobbit, so I will be in the midst of The Fellowship of the Ring when tomorrow (Sunday) rolls around.

Oh, ummm... Hullo. *waves*

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Mar 27, 6:50am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Mar 24, 5:42pm

Post #20 of 26 (645 views)
Shortcut
Spring is arriving, buds are swelling on the bare blackthorn twigs [In reply to] Can't Post

and spring flowers are bright despite some sneaky cold snaps here; I feel in the mood for revisiting Tree and Leaf, I think. A bit of old Clannad background music will go down nicely with that. My tipple will be tea - for the next 24hrs at least - as I've had a medical procedure this morning, so no driving or alcohol just yet. Tea and chocolate biscuits in front of the woodburner will hit the spot, though! Happy Reading day, folks - cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24, 8:47pm

Post #21 of 26 (626 views)
Shortcut
The guardians of my collection [In reply to] Can't Post

I "cleaned up" the shelves a little (I keep file folders of information here also). Here's Bilbo (with Sting and the Red Book) and Smaug guarding my Tolkien shelves:

(The paperbacks ended up below the frame.)

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 25, 5:01pm

Post #22 of 26 (529 views)
Shortcut
Boromir stands guard over mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually trimmed down; decided I didn't need the full HoME collection. Heresy, I know, but adding several hundred books to my shelves during grad school required some brutal decisions.

We had snow, sleet, hail, and sunshine this weekend. Someone on Facebook posted about how March feels like winter is arguing with spring and keeps storming out the door, only to turn around, come back in, and yell "and another thing!" before storming out again . . . and repeat.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25, 5:58pm

Post #23 of 26 (511 views)
Shortcut
That is an excellent description [In reply to] Can't Post

of this weather pattern! Tongue

Have they managed to locate and arrest Punxsutawney Phil yet? That rodent needs a stern talking-to.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Mar 25, 6:32pm

Post #24 of 26 (497 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Tolkien reading day - [In reply to] Can't Post

that bastion of BBC radio broadcasting, the long-running serial 'The Archers' has mentioned Tolkien today! One of the characters, Linda Snell, was attempting to get to grips with The Sil. Good to see that acknowledgement of the special day! Thank you, scriptwriters.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 26, 1:52am

Post #25 of 26 (461 views)
Shortcut
*faints* Hey there, Wolfy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my goodness but it's great to see you, dear sir! I hope life has been treating you well wherever you've been wandering. Please don't be as much of a stranger - you add so much to the place. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.