The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 3:33pm

Post #1 of 25 (3396 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories Can't Post

They say it is the first step that costs the effort. I do not find it so. I am sure I could write unlimited 'first chapters'. I have indeed written many.
-Letter #23

So what Middle-earth stories did Tolkien begin that he later thought better of?

"Now the Star-bellied Elves had bellies with stars. The Plain-bellied Dwarves had none upon thars."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 4:01pm

Post #2 of 25 (3298 views)
Shortcut
"The Maiming of Master Trotter" // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 16 2018, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 25 (3294 views)
Shortcut
*snort* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 16 2018, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 25 (3293 views)
Shortcut
Alatar and Pollando Go to a White Fortress // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 16 2018, 6:54pm

Post #5 of 25 (3288 views)
Shortcut
The New Shadow [In reply to] Can't Post

I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing.
—J.R.R. Tolkien

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

(This post was edited by Attalus on Mar 16 2018, 6:55pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 16 2018, 7:11pm

Post #6 of 25 (3272 views)
Shortcut
Khamûl does the Springle-ring. / [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

squire
Half-elven

Mar 16 2018, 9:04pm

Post #7 of 25 (3263 views)
Shortcut
My Struggle: The Real Story Of The One Ring, As Told By Smeagol. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2018, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 25 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Fell Beasts and Where to Find Them./ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 17 2018, 12:49pm

Post #9 of 25 (3220 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship: Infinity War [In reply to] Can't Post

Book 1 of the Lord of the Stones

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 17 2018, 10:16pm

Post #10 of 25 (3142 views)
Shortcut
The Rider of Rohan? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Éowyn or did she not sneak into Aragorn's tent before he entered the Paths of the Dead? A tell-all saga by a bard of Rohan.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

sador
Half-elven

Mar 18 2018, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 25 (3101 views)
Shortcut
"The queer ways of badgers" [In reply to] Can't Post

But it was too absurd. And he just couldn't write ridiculous enough poetry.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2018, 9:04pm

Post #12 of 25 (3101 views)
Shortcut
"A Tale of Two Towers". [In reply to] Can't Post

Attempted 10 times, as he tried to craft a story about the events between two of the five populated places to the east of the Misty Mountains (Dol Guldur, Minas Tirith, Minas Anor, Orthanc, Barad-dur).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2018, 9:10pm

Post #13 of 25 (3100 views)
Shortcut
"Aragorn's Travels". [In reply to] Can't Post

Which would have described his time among the Lilliputians Little People.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 19 2018, 12:44am

Post #14 of 25 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Gentle Ben: The True Story of the Beornings // [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Mar 19 2018, 3:26am

Post #15 of 25 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Of Smaug the Golden and Tilda of Dale. [In reply to] Can't Post

The true and tragic story of Bard's maiden great-great-aunt.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19 2018, 10:53am

Post #16 of 25 (3020 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Lumbering Wood [In reply to] Can't Post

“In a hole in some wood lived a termite...”

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 19 2018, 10:59am

Post #17 of 25 (3025 views)
Shortcut
Chapter One: The Great Expectations of Miss Lobelia Bracegirdle of Hardbottle [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien intended to write of the many disappointments, trials and tribulations of her middle years, but also of acts of heroism and of the esteem and affection with which she was held by all of Hobbitdom at the end of her long life.

What hints were there from her childhood that the stage was being set for her remarkable place in history? The author began by recounting her many youthful escapades and then how this ambitious, fiery girl from Hardbottle married into the prominent Sackville-Baggins clan, bringing her into the swirl of events which concluded the Third Age.

In our own Age, this irrepressible Miss would no doubt have a Multi-Book-Series dedicated to her exploits followed by, at the very least, a trilogy of action films. At the time, the author considered his feisty creation worthy of, at the very least, her own novel, but his publishers read the first chapter and declared her "much much too unladylike for our readers" and refused to advance him a penny on it. Times being what they were, he focused on her husband's unprepossessing cousins Bilbo and Frodo and did manage to make something of them in the end. Tolkien retained a soft spot for his heroine, however, finding a place for her in the Shire but having to bear the indignities to her reputation after the editors had their way with her.

Sad but too true. Evil

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19 2018, 11:35am

Post #18 of 25 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Yes, such a shame, isn't it! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thus he never was able to expand on "Little Hobbit Women", his story of the three Remarkable Daughters of the Old Took, and its sequel, "Belladonna's Adventures in Elven-lands".

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 19 2018, 6:07pm

Post #19 of 25 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention [In reply to] Can't Post

How Lobelia Got Her Groove Back. I'd read that, wouldn't you?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19 2018, 8:55pm

Post #20 of 25 (2960 views)
Shortcut
A very uplifting story! [In reply to] Can't Post

It pairs nicely with The Prime of Miss Rose Cotton.

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 20 2018, 1:07am

Post #21 of 25 (2942 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

Little House in the Old Forest?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 20 2018, 12:49pm

Post #22 of 25 (2873 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Little House in the Old Forest?

Little House in the Lone-lands.

Tolkien never got around to telling the story of the adventure of Sam's daughter: Elanor in Wilderland.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29 2018, 12:57pm

Post #23 of 25 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Saruman: The Colourful White Wizard // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 29 2018, 1:03pm

Post #24 of 25 (2653 views)
Shortcut
Are we not using *snert* anymore? :) [no text] [In reply to] Can't Post

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Mar 29 2018, 2:11pm

Post #25 of 25 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Home To Hobbiton (series*). [In reply to] Can't Post

First book titled: The Hobbiton Hero Returns

"Rosie Cotton thought she'd found the man of her dreams in Samwise Gamgee, the quintessential boy-next-door. Before that perfect romance could blossom, however, everything flew to pieces when an unspeakable tragedy tore them apart. Yet when Sam reappeared in her life, the sparks that flew were as explosive as the day they first met."

*Parody of (link to goodreads.com) Home to Harbor Town

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.