Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Wings! I don't have wings!" "Of course not, you're a boy."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 11, 6:06am

Post #1 of 29 (1168 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "Wings! I don't have wings!" "Of course not, you're a boy." Can't Post

I had the immense pleasure of going to the theater last weekend to see the new restoration of The Dark Crystal. I hadn't seen it since I was little, and barely remembered it. While the film admittedly has a very simple story, I don't think that's necessarily to its detriment. The artistry on display is simply mindblowing, especially in today's world of CGI. Getting to see this in a theater really transported me to another time - a film like this simply could not (or would not) be made in today's cinema.

I also watched the series finale of Star Wars Rebels, which was bittersweet. I'll dearly miss this iteration of Star Wars, but I'm glad that Dave Filoni got to end it properly (and it was a wonderful ending). It's such a shame he never got to craft his ending of Clone Wars (I'm still hoping in vain that Disney allows him to do a TV movie of The Siege of Mandalore - or that there's at least a really good novel made out of it).

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 11, 11:37am

Post #2 of 29 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Watched the "Rebels" finale too. (Some Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked that they brought back pretty much all of the recurring characters for a big send-off, with everyone getting their little moment, and I thought the way everything went down was pretty exciting. I had been wondering how it would end in a way that did not change the cannon of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke being the last Jedi around by the time Luke began training.

I did read a teaser that there might be a follow-up series following Sabine and Ashoka's search for Ezra. We'll see what happens.

I was a huge Dark Crystal fan as one of those growing up during it's initial theatre run. I dressed as Kira my last trick-or-treating for Halloween, and had to patiently explain to the adults that no, I wasn't an elf, I was a Gelfling :-).

It was very, very dark at parts though, and I think some people didn't know what to make of that. I remember reading that Jim Henson was heartbroken that it wasn't more embraced and didn't understand why, because it was a real passion project for him.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Mar 11, 4:44pm

Post #3 of 29 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Took the grandkids to "A Wrinkle in Time" [In reply to] Can't Post

I am POSITIVE I read this in grade school some 40-something years ago(???), but the only thing I could remember was that some food tasted like sand to the little brother. I know some of the reviews are less than favorable, and maybe this was just a really hard book to adapt, but I did enjoy it and so did the grandkids. At one point when Meg was being bullied, my 10-yr-old grandaughter said, "I feel like that every day." My grandson liked it too, even though it was more female-oriented. I definitely liked the message, and I bought the book to reread before I give it to the grandkids.

I missed "The Dark Crystal," but I wonder if my daughters saw it? That could explain their fondness of "Zelda," which they sure DIDN'T get from my repeated watching of LoTR, LOL! I shall have to look for that one. I am looking forward to the Blu-Ray release of "The Last Jedi," I know some people REALLY took issue with Luke's portrayal, but I think it's possibly the best SW movie ever made! The Blu-Ray comes out a week after my 58th birthday, and I told my daughters that was what I wanted, but we could certainly watch the streaming version on my B-Day. That's the plan - well, that and dinner at Olive Garden, hehe!

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Mar 14, 2:51am

Post #4 of 29 (983 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Crystal was excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

but I preferred Labyrinth. I don't know why, I just like it better. I think maybe the lack of emotions in the Gelfling puppets turned me off a little, and I've always had a soft spot for goblins (not Orcs, though).

I missed the season finale of Rebels, so I'll have to wait for the DVD. I am currently watching my way through classic Doctor Who, which is part fun, and part tedious.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 14, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 29 (962 views)
Shortcut
NCIS [In reply to] Can't Post

possibly the best episode I've ever seen was on last night.

In the throes of Concert Time so have been out rehearsing a lot instead of parked in front of the tube at night. My kitty is most upset as that's our cuddle time; last night he waylaid me on my way to bed and insisted that I sit down & MAKE A LAP NOW. Purred so hard he sounded like he was snoring.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 14, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 29 (945 views)
Shortcut
Awwww. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 15, 5:37am

Post #7 of 29 (929 views)
Shortcut
Not films, but I also recommend L'Engle's sequels [In reply to] Can't Post

A Wind in the Door
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
Many Waters
An Acceptable Time

She also has a group of books based on a fictional family in NYC, starting with Meet the Austins

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Mar 16, 11:04am

Post #8 of 29 (905 views)
Shortcut
Henson and Oz pushed the envelope.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ATE, good pt. about today's cgi which all looks similar and there are only so many ways to blow up NY, LA, London without getting repetitive. Dark Crystal and Labyrinth came out back to back and the visuals, effects were as creative as anything going. Really good transformation of creatures, rocks, walls unfolding and becoming animated. Also lots of eerie beauty as heroes go into different realms, dimensions. very suspenseful. Henson died tragically young, Oz keeps the torch alive and is still very active. Would say Henson-Oz helped grow up the whole sci fi,fantasy cinema genre. Looks and ideas imitated many times.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
From the scroll rooms of Gondor with a PS, besides the loss of Henson, we also lost David Bowie way before his time should have come. He is missed as well.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16, 12:05pm

Post #9 of 29 (902 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Frank Oz [In reply to] Can't Post

Comics and television writer Mark Evanier embedded a clip from a CBC interview with Frank Oz at his blog.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 16, 12:06pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 17, 12:55am

Post #10 of 29 (872 views)
Shortcut
A Wrinkle in Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoyable; evocative of the book (although I thought they portrayed IT too literally; the IT you cannot see in the book is scarier!). I did not find it too preachy or PC, as some have.

There was a large birthday party of 10- or 11-year-old girls in attendance at my showing; most of them seemed totally rapt.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Mar 17, 7:48pm

Post #11 of 29 (848 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Netflix is doing a Dark Crystal prequel series this year? I'm not sure how that will work, since it's a foregone conclusion that all of the main characters (who will be Gelflings) are going to die. May be a wee bit depressing, hmm?

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 18, 12:17pm

Post #12 of 29 (823 views)
Shortcut
The movie [In reply to] Can't Post

was pretty pitch black (one of the reasons why it wasn't universally embraced upon initial release, although it's likely part of why it has since become a cult classic), so I think everyone who saw it would know what they're getting in a prequel light of that we know the Gelflings experienced a holocaust. Unfortunately, I don't get Netflix so it's a moot issue for me.

The Star Wars franchise did the same thing with Rogue One. We all knew beforehand that things did not end well for the team which retrieved the Death Star plans.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 19, 1:36am

Post #13 of 29 (801 views)
Shortcut
Game Night and Moonlight [In reply to] Can't Post

Game Night was funny and fun to watch. Moonlight was so moving, and so well made. I didn't know what to expect, but wanted to see it since it won the Oscar last year. It definitely deserved it.

I saw A Wrinkle in Time last weekend and was somewhat disappointed. There were some beautiful bits, but it was uneven. I have never seen The Dark Crystal, but will look for a chance to watch it.

Where's Frodo?

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Mar 19, 6:19am

Post #14 of 29 (787 views)
Shortcut
I hear a little Yoda emerging from Oz...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello O-S, thanks for the clip. Seems to me I heard some Yoda inflections and intonations from Frank Oz in that interview, prior to Star Wars, I believe. Cookie Monster and Grover may have helped develop Yoda and his vocal qualities?? Boggles the mind. Imagine Cookie Monster: "Not afraid are you? Youuuu wiillllll beeeee......"

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
<From the scroll rooms of Gondor, I feel a disturbance in the Force.....>

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 19, 7:37am

Post #15 of 29 (783 views)
Shortcut
I have never been able to take Yoda seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

because every time he opens his little green mouth I just get Grover. Laugh

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 11:10am

Post #16 of 29 (770 views)
Shortcut
Thor: Ragnarok [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed it, including the humor, but mostly for the great fight scenes.

I’m re-watching “Babylon 5,” but only seasons 3 & 4, which I thought were the best and had the most action. That was 1990s cgi, and they did their best with what they had. I wonder what we’ll say about 2018 cgi in 2038.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 19, 4:27pm

Post #17 of 29 (749 views)
Shortcut
Babylon 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that 3 & 4 were the best. It just got better and better through to the end of 4. Season 5 was a disappointment.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 19, 5:50pm

Post #18 of 29 (749 views)
Shortcut
Noooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not listening! Not listening! *sticks fingers in ears*

Don't you dare ruin Yoda for me, Starling!

Tongue

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 8:05pm

Post #19 of 29 (717 views)
Shortcut
Season 5 wasn’t much [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, the network wouldn’t commit to the show’s 5-season arc, so a lot got pushed into Season 4 when JMS thought that would be the final one, and he considered Babylon 5 his magnum opus (and compared it to LOTR, which it certainly borrowed from nakedly at time). Then it *did* get picked up for S5, and he didn’t have much left to say, just some loose ends to tie up.

And it really hurt having Claudia Christian leave the show, but that was her decision (or so it seems).

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 8:08pm

Post #20 of 29 (718 views)
Shortcut
Mean to say, do you not? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yoda not ruin for me, Starling, not dare you. *ears in sticks fingers*

(Not that I ever could master Yoda-speak.)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 19, 8:45pm

Post #21 of 29 (712 views)
Shortcut
"Ruin Yoda for me, you will not; hmmmm?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 19, 8:59pm

Post #22 of 29 (713 views)
Shortcut
This should do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E

"Now the Star-bellied Elves had bellies with stars. The Plain-bellied Dwarves had none upon thars."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 19, 10:24pm

Post #23 of 29 (699 views)
Shortcut
"That log had a child." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19, 10:59pm

Post #24 of 29 (701 views)
Shortcut
Best line. [In reply to] Can't Post

And even though thanks to this I don't need to open the link to know what it is, I will now have that song as an earworm for the rest of the day. Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 12:31am

Post #25 of 29 (692 views)
Shortcut
You're too kind. [In reply to] Can't Post

This rates fairly high on the Ezpeleta Scale of Nooooooo!!!

Wink

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.