Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
War in the North Videogame- Art or Entertainment?

Wainrider
Rivendell

Mar 18 2018, 2:43am

Post #1 of 3 (2157 views)
Shortcut
War in the North Videogame- Art or Entertainment? Can't Post

It may be a stretch calling a video game art, but I just finished playing the game again and I really love it. It may not be 100% true to the spirit of Tolkien's writing (more gory than the books), but overall I think they did an amazing job and really tried to be faithful to middle earth. It is wonderful to see locations that aren't shown in the movies, like Carn Dum, and to fight in middle earth.They even include middle earth sayings in the dialog. Anyone else have an opinion on this game?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 18 2018, 12:51pm

Post #2 of 3 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Can't it be both? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't speak for War in the North being especially deserving of being called Art (never having played it), but if other media (films, novels, comics, etc.) can bridge the gap between entertainment and art then certainly video games can as well.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 2 2018, 11:55pm

Post #3 of 3 (2019 views)
Shortcut
The little that I remember of the game is pretty positive... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've played every official video game (yes, all of them) and I remember being surprised by War in the North, having low expectations and expecting it to be like The Third Age - which was pretty boring.

I seem to remember Rivendell the most. Speaking to the eagles was really cool and collecting material for Arwen to create Aragorn's banner - the developers did their homework for sure. Not very memorable apparently, though. I suppose the characters were a little bland?

As for the entertainment/art argument. It's frankly absurd to say that video games are not art. If movies like The Room are art, then The Last of Us most certainly is. To argue what "is" and "is not" art is to miss the point. Anything can be art, but that doesn't determine the quality or value of the thing. There exists good and bad art, and if a video-game is exceptionally good then that doesn't make it more like art.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 3 2018, 12:02am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.