The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What's Left To Publish?

BOSW
Bree

Mar 17 2018, 3:39pm

Post #1 of 10 (4025 views)
Shortcut
What's Left To Publish? Can't Post

As far as I can tell the only original Tolkien text never published is King of the Green Dozen --

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_King_of_the_Green_Dozen

Is there anything else besides that? With the publication of Kullervo, Aoutrou & Itroun, Beowulf, Arthur and Sigurd the last of the "lost" manuscripts are now all available. Is there anything of substance (besides an expanded edition of his letters) left?

Na Vedui
Rohan

Mar 17 2018, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 10 (3934 views)
Shortcut
There's a list of unpublished Tolkien stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... here. http://tolkiengateway.net/...Unpublished_material
I don't know how complete it is.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 18 2018, 12:25am

Post #3 of 10 (3923 views)
Shortcut
A number of those have already been published, or are not worth publishing for a general audience. [In reply to] Can't Post

His scholarly notes, tucked among a lifetime's papers of an Oxford academic, are accessible to those who need to see them. They're cataloged and listed at the libraries that hold them.

As far as narratives go - the dramatic and colorful writings that his fans want to see, especially with regard to Middle-earth - it's much harder to say there's anything left, thanks to Christopher Tolkien's dedicated lifetime of work.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 18 2018, 6:24am

Post #4 of 10 (3899 views)
Shortcut
About half the linguistic papers are yet to come. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least, that's my sense based on a brief conversation a few years ago with one of the linguists working on that project.

"The Bovadium Fragments", from the list at NV's link, is supposed to be a complete story, I think.

Besides that, my sense from hearing from the first-rank Tolkien scholars who have made various proposals through the years is that there's enough quality material among the items described on that Tolkien Gateway page to fill a thick miscellany of poetry, letters, and essays.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2018, 2:01pm

Post #5 of 10 (3709 views)
Shortcut
"In Khazad-dûm did Durin a stately Dwarvish realm decree" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well there's:

The Mystery of Edwin Drûg
Muriel: or, The Wrongs of a She-Elf
The Captain Without Qualities
The Where of Herugrim
Bouvard et Findegil
The Original of Laurelin
The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Grishnákh
The Love of the Last Hoom Hoom Barum
The Life of a Great Sindar

Finally there’s “Khazad-dûm; or, A Vision in a Dream: A Fragment”, a poem that came to Tollers in a nicotine fevered dream. Unfortunately his writing was interrupted by “a person from Belfast” who had some questions about Christianity. By the time Tolkien had converted the atheistic Irishman the good professor had forgotten the rest of the lines.

"Now the Star-bellied Elves had bellies with stars. The Plain-bellied Dwarves had none upon thars."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 24 2018, 4:54am

Post #6 of 10 (3628 views)
Shortcut
"Bark on, Bark off", the forbidden love of Ents [In reply to] Can't Post

Nymphs, and How to Catch Them - T. Bombadil
The Glory of Taters - 500 Shire Recipes - S. Gamgee
The Care and Tending of Hobbit Feet - Dr. Proudfoot - DPM
Ores, Jewels and Tools - A Dwarf Mining Handbook - Bifur
Oliphant's! A wanderers guide to flora and fauna - Morinehtar and Rómestámo

BOSW
Bree

Mar 30 2018, 3:03am

Post #7 of 10 (3529 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great stuff! I guess there are a few Tolkien things left to look forward to in my lifetime :)

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 31 2018, 1:20pm

Post #8 of 10 (3308 views)
Shortcut
A stand alone Fall Of Gondolin book has just been announced: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.bookdepository.com/...1522487749619&sr=1-1

Whether this contains any newly published material, compiles different versions of the story with background essays and commentary, or acts as an expanded novelisation of the story remains to be seen...

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 1 2018, 1:55pm

Post #9 of 10 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I don't think it is true [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing listed at Harper Collins site. Until there is an official announcement from them and the Tolkien Estate I won't believe it is true.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 11 2018, 11:27pm

Post #10 of 10 (3100 views)
Shortcut
Believe, O ye of little faith! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I posted in another thread:

In Reply To

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.