Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Two Seasons of Amazon's Lord of the Rings Show Could Cost $500 Million

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 3:10pm

Post #1 of 4 (4471 views)
Shortcut
Two Seasons of Amazon's Lord of the Rings Show Could Cost $500 Million Can't Post

CBR.com reports on an internal study by Reuters:

...the Lord of the Rings TV series could end up costing the electronic commerce behemoth in the neighborhood of $500 million -- or more -- for the first two seasons alone. While the projection appears to be quite staggering, half of the total, $250 million, was spent on acquiring the rights to make the series in the first place, with the remainder of the projection being attributed to marketing and production costs.

The end of the article notes that there is still not much known about the series:

The prequel series remains in the very early stages of its development with no casting information or production details known, though there is reportedly potential for spinoff shows. Additional details will be released as the series enters production.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 16 2018, 3:12pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 16 2018, 6:12pm

Post #2 of 4 (4428 views)
Shortcut
This scary headline should be a lot clearer [In reply to] Can't Post

This scary headline should be a lot clearer that the production itself is possibly $250M for 2 seasons, i.e., $125 million per season or $12.5 million per episode for a standard 10-episode season. That is, apparently, slightly higher than the ever-rising price of producing Game of Thrones episodes, although factors like permanent set construction and initial costuming etc, which carry through a series, means the budgeting is never as simple as just X per episode. The other $250M for the LotR series is the rights cost already paid in the big news of a few months ago. It's money out of pocket for Amazon, no doubt, but for a completely different aspect of what finally shows up on screen.

So the headline as written is fairly deceptive. It implies that the production costs alone will be half a billion: "Two seasons .... could cost ..." would not be taken by any casual reader as including rights costs; rather the comparative math comes up with $25 million per episode, which is of course quite scary and quite wrong.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 7:06pm

Post #3 of 4 (4408 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I only copied the headline; I didn't make it up myself. Click-bait story headlines are pretty common at comics sites (and AOL.com for that matter).

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 16 2018, 7:08pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 16 2018, 9:01pm

Post #4 of 4 (4386 views)
Shortcut
No, no [In reply to] Can't Post

I got that you copied the headline, and that the headline is clickbait. I would argue for a self-enforced policy of not copying clickbait to this board, whenever it is possible to write an equally engaging but far more accurate subject lead.

In any case, if I was being too severe on that one, I apologize. I very much appreciate your bringing the article itself to our attention! It's not much but it confirms that yes, the project is slowly moving forward.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.