I don't know
View Results (23 votes)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 14 2018, 12:57pm

Post #26 of 37 (5032 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is why I made the gracious assumption that his ungracious assumption that my response to him was malicious was the result of a misunderstanding.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 14 2018, 3:29pm

Post #27 of 37 (5025 views)
Shortcut
I'd just like to offer my experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I was one of the first women ever hired by the Forest Service to be a firefighter. I am neither large nor particularly strong, muscle-wise (I was 125 pounds at the time). But what they found was that while the men were stronger at lifting, all of us were capable of carrying a 40-pound hose or pump up a hill. We let the guys run the chain saws because, dunno why, guys just seem to like making noise!

But when we were on an actual fire, where we often worked 18-hour days and sometimes round the clock, another difference asserted itself. The guys wore out after 8 or 12 hours, while the women just kept going and going. Which makes sense when you think that women have to endure childbirth, which is rarely over quickly!

As for being confrontative, as noted, I'm hardwired that way, always have been. My protective instinct is pretty strong towards those who can't defend themselves: children, animals, people behind counters who take lots of abuse for things they are not responsible for . . .

So I read your words and go "nope, don't relate to that idea of who I'm supposed to be AT ALL."

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 14 2018, 4:36pm

Post #28 of 37 (5016 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

A man’s greater muscle mass can constrict blood flow and thus lessen muscle endurance.

Also after 8 or so hours of intense exercise a man’s testosterone levels tend to plummet, leading to fatigue. A woman does not have to worry about such fatigue because her testosterone levels tend to remain constant (or even increase) during exercise.

So science confirms your experience.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 14 2018, 5:19pm

Post #29 of 37 (5009 views)
Shortcut
but what about the noise thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. The revving cars, the subwoofers, the fireworks . . . what is up with that?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2018, 5:21pm

Post #30 of 37 (5007 views)
Shortcut
I think we can put an end to this sub-thread here. [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going down a rabbit-hole of assumptions and judgement. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, please do it on private messages.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 14 2018, 8:03pm

Post #31 of 37 (4997 views)
Shortcut
another anecdote [In reply to] Can't Post

In college, I woke up once to find a stranger trying to crawl on top of me.

I hit him so hard I knocked him to the floor. I then chased him out of the dormitory screaming like a banshee. If he had not outrun me I don't know what I might have done to him.

Yeah, that "fight" response pumps you up!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 14 2018, 8:40pm

Post #32 of 37 (4985 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think we can put an end to this sub-thread here. We're going down a rabbit-hole of assumptions and judgement.

And divisive misunderstanding.

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 16 2018, 4:54am

Post #33 of 37 (4819 views)
Shortcut
My answer is "other" [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on my instincts and past experiences, if I were in that room, I would be the one holding the door open so people could get in. I wouldn't close the door until the danger was so close that I was certain that not doing so could result in putting everyone who was already safe inside in mortal danger. After the door was closed, I would concentrate on listening to where the threat was. If gunfire was literally right outside, I probably wouldn't re-open the door as my first loyalty would be to protect the people that were already safe. If the gunfire, yelling, or whatever stopped, then suddenly someone begged to get in, I would also be hesitant in case it was the person that was the threat. I'd interrogate them, look to the others in the room as to whether they felt safe letting that person in, then open the door and hope for the best based on my and their instincts.

As for fight or flight, my instincts are governed by the need to protect. If I feel I can preempt confrontation or injury, I've been known to confront an aggressor. If someone has already been injured, my instinct is to protect them rather than go after an aggressor, even if it means they get away.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 5:50pm

Post #34 of 37 (4773 views)
Shortcut
And hungry coyotes [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.journalnow.com/...f3-b7134ae7f50b.html

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 20 2018, 5:16am

Post #35 of 37 (4468 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Once the door is closed, I would be blocking it and not letting anybody in till the police got there. No matter what noises came from the other side of the door.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 28 2018, 5:46pm

Post #36 of 37 (4112 views)
Shortcut
We were firmly told in training never to open the door [In reply to] Can't Post

because the pleading voice on the other side could be the shooter. I don't know what I'd do in real life. I hope to God I never have to find out.

Edit: if it were just me in the room it would be different than if I had a roomful of students to protect, I think. But of course I've never been tested. I do tend to follow the rules, so when the the school sheriffs tell me in training "this is what you must do" I tend to respect their expertise.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 28 2018, 5:50pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2018, 2:42pm

Post #37 of 37 (3794 views)
Shortcut
you said it [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.