TIME for the week

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:04pm

Post #1 of 24 (7366 views)
Shortcut
TIME for the week Can't Post

Greetings!

I'm going to be on the Road for the next several days, and I'm not sure how much I can depend on my internet access. SO, since this is quite a busy week in Middle-earth *kaff* I'm going to post the next 3 or 4 days of TIME.

Now DON'T PEEK until the day you're supposed to! ;)

Take care.

*grabs hankie, walking stick and apples*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:05pm

Post #2 of 24 (7335 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 14, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Thorin and Gandalf travel to Bree on separate journeys.
(not from the appendices-no text/text)
..."On a time Thorin, returning west from a journey..." decides to go to Bree for a night's stay at the Prancing Pony. At the same time, Gandalf approached Bree "on his way to the Shire, which he had not visited for some twenty years. He was weary, and thought to rest there for a while."

March 14, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Samwise finds Frodo in the Tower.
(from the appendices)
..."At last, weary and feeling finally defeated, he sat on a step below the level of the passage-floor and bowed his head into his hands. It was quiet, horribly quiet. The torch, that was already burning low when he arrived, sputtered and went out; and he felt the darkness cover him like a tide. And then softly... ...there at the vain end of his long journey and his grief, moved by what thought in his heart he could not tell, Sam began to sing.
...His voice sounded thin and quavering in the cold dark tower: the voice of a forlorn and weary hobbit... ...He murmured old childish tunes out of the Shire, and snatches of Mr. Bilbo's rhymes that came into his mind like fleeting glimpses of the country of his home. And suddenly new strength rose in him, and his voice rang out, while words of his own came unbidden to fit the simple tune.

'In western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.
Or there may be 'tis cloudless night
and swaying beeches bear
the Elven-stars like jewels white
amid their branching hair.

Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep
above all shadows rides the Sun
and stars forever dwell:
I will not say the day is done,
nor bid the stars farewell.'

[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 226-227 TT: Lord of the Rings]

...'Beyond all towers strong and high...' ...he stopped short. He thought that he had heard a faint voice answering him. But now he could hear nothing. Yes, he could hear something... ...Footsteps were approaching. Now a door was being opened quietly in the passage above... ...The door closed with a dull thud; and then a snarling orc-voice rang out.
...'Ho la! You up there, you dunghill rat! Stop your squeaking, or I'll come and deal with you. D'you hear?'
...There was no answer.
...'All right,' growled Snaga. 'But I'll come and have a look at you all the same....'
......The hinges creaked again, and Sam, now peering over the corner of the passage-threshold, saw a flicker of light in an open doorway, and the dim shape of an orc coming out. He seemed to be carrying a ladder. Suddenly the answer dawned on Sam: the topmost chamber was reached by a trap-door in the roof of the passage...

...'...You lie quiet, or you'll pay for it...! ...There's a reminder for you!' There was a sound like the crack of a whip.
...At that, rage blazed in Sam's heart to a sudden fury. He sprang up, ran, and went up the ladder like a cat. His head came out in the middle of the floor of a large round chamber. A red lamp hung from its roof; the westward window-slit was high and dark. Something was lying on the floor by the wall under the window, but over it a black orc-shape was straddled. It raised a whip a second time, but the blow never fell. With a cry Sam leapt across the floor, Sting in his hand. The orc wheeled round, but before it could make a move Sam slashed its whip-hand from its arm... ...The orc in its wild haste had tripped on the ladder-head and fallen through the open trap-door. Sam gave no more thought to it. He ran to the figure huddled on the floor. It was Frodo. He was naked, lying as if in a swoon on a heap of filthy rags: his arm was flung up, shielding his head, and across his side there ran an ugly whip-weal.
...'Frodo! Mr. Frodo, my dear!' cried Sam, tears almost blinding him. 'It's Sam, I've come!' He half lifted his master and hugged him to his breast. Frodo opened his eyes.
...'Am I still dreaming?' he muttered. 'But the other dreams were horrible.'
...'You're not dreaming at all, Master... ...It's real. It's me. I've come.'
...'I can hardly believe it,' said Frodo, clutching him. 'There was an orc with a whip, and then it turns into Sam! Then I wasn't dreaming after all when I heard that singing down below, and I tried to answer? Was it you?'
...'It was indeed, Mr. Frodo. I'd given up hope, almost. I couldn't find you.'
...'Well, you have now, Sam, dear Sam,' said Frodo, and he lay back in Sam's gentle arms, closing his eyes, like a child at rest when night-fears are driven away by some loved voice or hand. Sam felt that he could sit like that in endless happiness..."

2. Minas Tirith is besieged.
(from the appendices)
..."No hours so dark had Pippin known, not even in the clutches of the Uruk-hai. It was his duty to wait upon the Lord, and wait he did... ...mastering his own fears as best he could... '...Do not weep, lord,' he stammered. 'Perhaps Faramir will get well. Have you asked Gandalf?'
...'Comfort me not with wizards!' said Denethor. 'The fool's hope has failed...' ...Men came to the door crying for the Lord of the City. 'Nay, I will not come down,' he said. 'I must stay beside my son. He might still speak before the end. But that is near. Follow whom you will, even the Grey Fool, though his hope has failed. Here I stay.'
......So it was that Gandalf took command of the last defence of the City of Gondor. Wherever he came men's hearts would lift again, and the winged shadows pass from memory. Tirelessly he strode from Citadel to Gate, from north to south about the wall; and with him went the Prince of Dol Amroth in his shining mail... ...Fires now raged unchecked in the first circle of the City, and the garrison upon the outer wall was already in many places cut off from retreat. But the faithful who remained there at their posts were few; most had fled beyond the second gate."

3. The Rohirrim led by the Wild Men come to the Grey Wood.
(from the appendices)
..."Presently Ghân turned to the king. 'Wild Men say many things,' he said. 'First, be wary! Still many men in camp beyond Dîn, an hour's walk yonder,' he waved his arm west towards the black beacon. 'But none to see between here and the Stone-folk's new walls. Many busy there. Walls stand up no longer: gorgún knock them down with earth-thunder... ...They are unwary and do not look about them. They think their friends watch all roads!' At that old Ghân made a curious gurgling noise, and it seemed that he was laughing.
...'Good tidings!' cried Éomer. 'Even in this gloom hope gleams again. Our Enemy's devices oft serve us in his despite. The accursed darkness itself has been a cloak to us...'

......Ghân-buri-Ghân squatted down and touched the earth with his horny brow in token of farewell. Then he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air. A light came in his eyes. 'Wind is changing!' he cried, and with that, in a twinkling as it seemed, he and his fellows had vanished in the gloom, never to be seen by any Rider of Rohan again."

4. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli sail from Pelargir with the captured fleet.
(not from the appendices)
...[Gimli speaking to Merry & Pippin:] "'And that is near the end of our tale. For during that evening and night many ships were made ready and manned; and in the morning the fleet set forth.... ...But still Aragorn was driven by fear that time was too short. "It is forty leagues and two from Pelargir to the landings at the Harlond," he said. "Yet to the Harlond we must come tomorrow or fail utterly." The oars were now wielded by free men, and manfully they laboured; yet slowly we passed up the Great River, for we strove against its stream... ...Heavy would my heart have been, for all our victory at the havens, if Legolas had not laughed suddenly. "Up with your beard, Durin's son!" he said. "For thus is it spoken: Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn..." ...away in the north we saw a red glow under the cloud, and Aragorn said: "Minas Tirith is burning." But at midnight hope was indeed born anew. Seacrafty men of the Ethir gazing southward spoke of a change coming with a fresh wind from the Sea...'"

[league = 3 miles]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:07pm

Post #3 of 24 (7336 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 15, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Thorin and Gandalf's chance meeting at the Prancing Pony in Bree.
(from Appendix A, part III: Durin's Folk)
...[Gandalf] "was weary, and thought to rest there for a while.
...Among many cares he was troubled in mind by the perilous state of the North; because he knew then already that Sauron was plotting war, and intended... ...to attack Rivendell. But to resist any attempt from the East to regain the lands of Angmar and the northern passes in the mountains there were now only the Dwarves of the Iron hills. And beyond them lay the desolation of the Dragon. The Dragon Sauron might use with terrible effect. How then could the end of Smaug be achieved?
...It was even as Gandalf sat and pondered this that Thorin stood before him, and said: 'Master Gandalf, I know you only by sight, but now I should be glad to speak with you. For you have often come into my thoughts of late, as if I were bidden to seek you. Indeed I should have done so, if I had known where to find you.'
...Gandalf looked at him with wonder. 'That is strange, Thorin Oakenshield... ...For I have thought of you also; and though I am on my way to the Shire, it was in my mind that is the way also to your halls.
...'Call them so if you will,' said Thorin. 'They are only poor lodgings in exile. But you would be welcome there... ...For they say that you are wise and know more than any other of what goes on in the world; and I have much on my mind and would be glad of your counsel.'
...'I will come,' said Gandalf; 'for I guess that we share one trouble at least. The Dragon of Erebor is on my mind, and I do not think that he will be forgotten by the grandson of Thrór.'"

March 15, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. In the early hours the Witch-king breaks the Gates of the City.
(from the appendices)
..."The drums rolled and rattled. With a vast rush Grond was hurled forward by huge hands. It reached the Gate. It swung. A deep boom rumbled through the City like thunder running in the clouds. But the doors of iron and posts of steel withstood the stroke.
...Then the Black Captain rose in his stirrups and cried aloud in a dreadful voice, speaking in some forgotten tongue words of power and terror to rend both heart and stone...
......upon the last stroke the Gate of Gondor broke. As if stricken by some blasting spell it burst asunder: there was a flash of searing lightning, and the doors tumbled in riven fragments to the ground.
...In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair."

2. The horns of the Rohirrim are heard at cockcrow.
(from the appendices)
..."...In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
...All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror....
...'You cannot enter here,' said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. 'Go back to the abyss prepared for you... ...into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!'
...The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
...'Old fool!' he said to Gandalf. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade....
......And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
...And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns... ...Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

3. Denethor burns himself on a pyre.
(from the appendices)
..."...Pippin turned and fled in terror from the deathly house. 'Poor Faramir!' he thought. 'I must find Gandalf... ...Oh where can I find Gandalf? In the thick of things, I suppose; and he will have no time to spare for dying men or madness...'"

..."When the dark shadow at the Gate withdrew Gandalf still sat motionless. But Pippin rose to his feet, as if a great weight had been lifted from him; and he stood listening to the horns, and it seemed to him that they would break his heart with joy. And never in after years could he hear a horn blown in the distance without tears starting in his eyes... ...Gandalf stirred and spoke to Shadowfax, and was about to ride through the Gate.
...'Gandalf, Gandalf!' cried Pippin, and Shadowfax halted.
...'What are you doing here?' said Gandalf....
...'...I am frightened. Something terrible may happen up there. The Lord is out of his mind, I think. I am afraid he will kill himself, and kill Faramir too. Can't you do something?'
...Gandalf looked through the gaping Gate, and already on the fields he heard the gathering sound of battle. He clenched his hand. 'I must go,' he said. 'The Black Rider is abroad, and he will yet bring ruin on us. I have no time.'
...'But Faramir!' cried Pippin. 'He is not dead, and they will burn him alive, if someone does not stop them....'
...' ...So Pippin poured out the tale, reaching up and touching Gandalf's knee with trembling hands. 'Can't you save Faramir?'"

..."'...Stay! Stay!' cried Gandalf, springing forward to the stone stair before the door. 'Stay this madness!'
...For there were the servants of Denethor with swords and torches in their hands; but alone in the porch upon the topmost step stood Beregond, clad in the black and silver of the Guard; and he held the door against them...."

..."...Gandalf sprang up the steps, and the men fell back from him and covered their eyes; for his coming was like the incoming of a white light into a dark place, and he came with great anger. He lifted up his hand, and in the very stroke, the sword of Denethor flew up and left his grasp...
...'...where is your son, Faramir?'
...'He lies within,' said Denethor, 'burning, already burning. They have set a fire in his flesh. But soon all shall be burned. The West has failed. It shall all go up in a great fire, and all shall be ended. Ash! Ash and smoke blown away on the wind!'
...Then Gandalf seeing the madness that was on him feared that he had already done some evil deed, and he thrust forward, with Beregond and Pippin behind him, while Denethor gave back until he stood beside the table within. But there they found Faramir, still dreaming in his fever, lying upon the table...
......Then Gandalf revealed the strength that lay hid in him, even as the light of his power was hidden under his grey mantle. He leaped up on to the faggots, and raising the sick man lightly he sprang down again, and bore him towards the door..."

..."...[Denethor] snatched a torch from the hand of one and sprang back into the house. Before Gandalf could hinder him he thrust the brand amid the fuel, and at once it crackled and roared into flame..."

4. Battle of the Pelennor.
(from the appendices)
..."...Théoden seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

'Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!'

...Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them.... ...and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old... ...His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

..."Merry was riding behind Dernhelm, clutching with the left hand while with the other he tried to loosen his sword in its sheath. He felt now bitterly the truth of the old king's words: "in such a battle what would you do, Meriadoc?" 'Just this,' he thought: 'encumber a rider, and hope at best to stay in my seat and not be pounded to death by galloping hoofs!'"
..."...It was even as the day thus began to turn against Gondor and their hope wavered that a new cry went up in the City... ...watchmen on the walls saw afar a new sight of fear, and their last hope left them... ...they cried in dismay; for black against the glittering stream they beheld a fleet borne up on the wind..."
..."...Éomer was now scarcely a mile from the Harlond... ...Now he looked to the River, and hope died in his heart, and the wind that he had blessed he now called accursed. But the hosts of Mordor were enheartened, and filled with a new lust and fury they came yelling to the onset. Stern now was Éomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner... ...For once more the lust of battle was on him; and he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king..."

5. Aragorn raises the standard of Arwen.
(from the appendices)
..."...behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years... ...the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.
...Thus came Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elessar, Isildur's heir, out of the Paths of the Dead, borne upon a wind from the Sea to the kingdom of Gondor..."

6. Dernhelm faces the Lord of the Nazgûl.
..."...Snowmane wild with terror stood up on high, fighting with the air, and then with a great scream he crashed upon his side: a black dart had pierced him. The king fell beneath him. The great shadow descended like a falling cloud... ...Down, down it came, and then, folding it's fingered webs, it gave a croaking cry, and settled upon the body of Snowmane...
......Upon it sat a shape, black-mantled, huge and threatening. A crown of steel he bore, but between rim and robe naught was there to see, save only a deadly gleam of eyes: the Lord of the Nazgûl....

......But Théoden was not utterly forsaken... ...One stood there still: Dernhelm the young, faithful beyond fear; and he wept, for he had loved his lord as a father....
...'...Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace...!'
...'...Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.'
...A sword rang as it was drawn. 'Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.'
...'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'
......Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him...'

......Out of the wreck rose the Black Rider... ...he let fall his mace. Her shield was shivered in many pieces, and her arm was broken; she stumbled to her knees.....
......But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving into the ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk that pierced the sinew behind his mighty knee....
......Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her. The sword broke sparkling into many shards. The crown rolled away with a clang. Éowyn fell forward upon her fallen foe...."

7. Théoden is slain.
(from the appendices)
..."...And there stood Meriadoc the hobbit in the midst of the slain, blinking like an owl in the daylight, for tears blinded him; and through a mist he looked on Éowyn's fair head, as she lay and did not move; and he looked on the face of the king, fallen in the midst of his glory...
......Then Merry stooped and lifted his hand to kiss it, and lo! Théoden opened his eyes, and they were clear, and he spoke in a quiet voice though laboured.
...'Farewell, Master Holbytla!' he said. 'My body is broken. I go to my fathers. And even in their mighty company I shall not now be ashamed....'"

8. Frodo and Samwise escape and begin their journey north along the Morgai.
(from the appendices)
..."'This won't do, Sam,' said Frodo. 'If we were real orcs, we ought to be dashing back to the Tower, not running away. The first enemy we meet will know us. We must get off this road somehow.'
...'But we can't,' said Sam, 'not without wings.'
......With a desperate spurt Frodo and Sam dashed along the bridge... ...already they heard the tramp of iron-shod feet, and upon the road there rang the swift clatter of hoofs.
...'Quick, Sam! Over we go!' cried Frodo. They scrambled onto the low parapet of the bridge...
...'Well, here goes, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam. 'Good-bye!'
...He let go. Frodo followed. And even as they fell they heard the rush of horsemen sweeping over the bridge and the rattle of orc-feet running up behind... "

9. Battle under the trees in Mirkwood; Thranduil repels the forces of Dol Guldur.
(from Appendix B: The Tale Of Years: The Third Age: The Great Years)
..."In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory."

10. Second, assault on Lórien.
..."...Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back… "

11. The realm of King Brand of Dale is attacked.
..."At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the River Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale. There he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days."

12. Evening in the Morgai.
..."There they sat and made such a meal as they could. Keeping back the precious lembas for the evil days ahead, they ate the half of what remained in Sam's bag of Faramir's provision: some dried fruit, and a small slip of cured meat; and they sipped some water...

...'...Now you go to sleep first, Mr. Frodo,' he said. 'It's getting dark again. I reckon this day is nearly over.'
...Frodo sighed and was asleep almost before the words were spoken... ...Then at last, to keep himself awake, he crawled from the hiding-place and looked out... ...Far above the Ephel Dúath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach. His song in the tower had been defiance rather than hope; for then he was thinking of himself... ...for a moment, his own fate, and even his master's, ceased to trouble him. He crawled back into the brambles and laid himself by Frodo's side, and putting away all fear he cast himself into a deep untroubled sleep."

13. The wounded come to the Houses of Healing.
..."...Gandalf and Beregond taking up [Faramir's] bier bore it away towards the Houses of Healing... ...behind them walked Pippin with downcast head... ...they went their way towards the Houses of Healing... ...fair houses set apart for the care of those who were grievously sick, but now they were prepared for the tending of men hurt in battle or dying...
......men were labouring to clear a way through the jetsam of battle; and now out from the Gate came some bearing litters. Gently they laid Éowyn upon soft pillows... ...[King Théoden's] body they covered with a great cloth of gold... ...So Théoden and Éowyn came to the City of Gondor...

......there were many sick of a malady that would not be healed... ...they called it the Black Shadow, for it came from the Nazgûl.
...And those who were stricken with it fell slowly into an ever deeper dream, and then passed to silence and a deadly cold, and so died."

14. Gandalf hears the cry of the Lord of the Nazgûl.
..."...as Gandalf and his companions came carrying [Faramir's] bier to the main door of the Houses, they heard a great cry that went up from the field before the Gate and rising shrill and piercing into the sky passed, and died away on the wind. So terrible was the cry that for a moment all stood still... ...yet when it had passed, suddenly their hearts were lifted up in such a hope as they had not known since the darkness came out of the East... ...it seemed to them that the light grew clear and the sun broke through the clouds.
... But Gandalf's face was grave and sad... ...he went up onto the walls nearby; and there like a figure carven in white he stood in the new sun and looked out. And he beheld with the sight that was given to him all that had befallen... ...when Éomer rode out from the forefront of his battle and stood beside those who lay upon the field, he sighed, and he cast his cloak about him again, and went from the walls... ...Beregond and Pippin found him standing in thought before the door of the Houses when they came out.
...They looked at him, and for a while he was silent. At last he spoke. 'My friends... ...and all you people of this city and the Western lands! Things of great sorrow and renown have come to pass. Shall we weep or be glad? Beyond hope the Captain of our foes has been destroyed... ...you have heard the echo of his last despair. But he has not gone without woe and bitter loss... ...that I might have averted but for the madness of Denethor.'"

15. Wounded Merry comes Minas Tirith.
..."A mist was in Merry's eyes of tears and weariness when they drew near the ruined Gate of Minas Tirith. He gave little heed to the wreck and slaughter that lay about all... ...out from the Gate came some bearing litters. Gently they laid Éowyn upon soft pillows; but the king's body they covered with a great cloth of gold...

......Slowly the lights of the torches in front of him flickered and went out, and he was walking in a darkness... ...But suddenly into his dream there fell a living voice.
...'Well, Merry! Thank goodness I have found you!'
...He looked up and the mist before his eyes cleared a little. There was Pippin! They were face to face in a narrow lane, and but for themselves it was empty. He rubbed his eyes.
...'Where is the king!' he said. 'And Éowyn!' Then he stumbled and sat down on a doorstep and began to weep again.
...'They have gone up into the Citadel,' said Pippin. 'I think you must have fallen asleep on your feet and taken the wrong turning. When we found that you were not with them, Gandalf sent me to look for you. Poor old Merry! How glad I am to see you again...!'

...'...Lean on me, Merry lad!' said Pippin. 'Come now! Foot by foot. It's not far.'
...'Are you going to bury me?' said Merry.
...'No, indeed!' said Pippin, trying to sound cheerful, though his heart was wrung with fear and pity. 'No, we are going to the Houses of Healing....' ...Step by step they went, while Merry swayed and murmured as one in sleep.
...'I'll never get him there,' thought Pippin. 'Is there no one to help me! I can't leave him here.' Just then to his surprise a boy came running up behind, and as he passed he recognized Bergil, Beregond's son.
...'Hullo, Bergil!' he called. 'Where are you going? Glad to see you again, and still alive!'
...'I am running errands for the Healers... ...I cannot stay.'
...'Don't!' said Pippin. 'But tell them up there that I have a sick hobbit, a perian mind you, come from the battlefield. I don't think he can walk so far. If Mithrandir is there, he will be glad of the message.' Bergil ran on....
......It was not long before Gandalf himself came in search of them. He stooped over Merry and caressed his brow; then he lifted him carefully. 'He should have been borne in honour into this city,' he said. 'He has well repaid my trust; for if Elrond had not yielded to me, neither of you would have set out; and then far more grievous would the evils of this day have been.'
......So at last Faramir and Éowyn and Meriadoc were laid in the beds in the Houses of Healing..."

16. Aragorn comes to the City.
..."...there came Gandalf on foot and with him one cloaked in grey; and they met before the doors of the Houses of Healing...
......the cloaked man spoke... ...And they saw as he stepped into the light of the lantern by the door that it was Aragorn, wrapped in the grey cloak of Lórien above his mail, and bearing no other token than the green stone of Galadriel. 'I have come because Gandalf begs me to do so... ...for the present I am but the Captain of the Dúnedain of Arnor...'
......Then Gandalf said: 'Let us not stay at the door, for the time is urgent... ...For it is only in the coming of Aragorn that any hope remains for the sick that lie in the House. Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.'

..."...Aragorn went first to Faramir, and then to the Lady Éowyn, and last to Merry. When he had looked on the faces of the sick and seeing their hurts he sighed. 'Here I must put forth all such power and skill as is given to me...'

......Then he called to Ioreth and he said: 'You have store in this House of the herbs of healing?'
... 'Yes, lord,' she answered; 'but not enough, I reckon, for all that will need them....'
... [Aragorn asks]'...Have you athelas?'
... 'I do not know, I am sure, lord,' she answered, 'at least not by that name...'
... '...It is also called kingsfoil,' said Aragorn; 'and maybe you know it by that name, for so the country-folk call it in these latter days.'
... 'Oh that!' said Ioreth. 'Well, if your lordship had named it at first, I could have told you. No... ...I wonder why 'tis called so; fit if I were a king, I would have plants more bright in my garden. Still it smells sweet when bruised...'

... [Aragorn responded] '... now, dame, if you love the Lord Faramir, run as quick as your tongue and get me kingsfoil, if there is a leaf in the City...'

... ...at last Bergil came running in, and he bore six leaves in a cloth. 'It is kingsfoil, sir,' he said; 'but not fresh, I fear...'

... ...Then taking two leaves, [Aragorn] laid them on his hands and breathed on them, and then he crushed them, and straightway a living freshness filled the room, as if the air itself awoke and tingled, sparkling with joy... ...he cast the leaves into the bowls of steaming water that were brought to him, and at once all hearts were lightened... ...Aragorn stood up as one refreshed, and his eyes smiled as he held a bowl before Faramir's dreaming face...
... ...Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, and he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light of knowledge and love was kindled in his eyes... ...he spoke softly. 'My lord, you called me. I come. What does the king command?'
...'Walk no more in the shadows, but awake!' said Aragorn. 'You are weary. Rest a while, and take food, and be ready when I return.'
...'I will, lord,' said Faramir. 'For who would lie idle when the king has returned..?'
...'...Farewell then for a while!' said Aragorn. 'I must go to others who need me...' ...As he followed Gandalf and shut the door Pippin heard Ioreth exclaim: 'King! Did you hear that..?'
... ...the word had gone out from the House that the king was indeed come among them, and after war he brought healing; and the news ran through the City... ...And they named him Elfstone, because of the green stone that we wore, and so the name which it was foretold at his birth that he should bear was chosen for him by his own people."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:08pm

Post #4 of 24 (7331 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 16, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Debate of the commanders.
(from the appendices)
..."'My lords,' said Gandalf, 'listen to the words of the Steward of Gondor before he died: You may triumph on the fields of the Pelennor for a day, but against the Power that has now arisen there is no victory. I do not bid you despair, as he did, but to ponder the truth in these words.
...'Then you would have us retreat to Minas Tirith... ...and there sit like children on sand-castles when the tide is flowing?' said Imrahil.
...'That would be no new counsel,' said Gandalf. 'Have you not done this and little more in all the days of Denethor? But no! I said this would be prudent. I do not counsel prudence. I said victory could not be achieved by arms. I still hope for victory, but not by arms. For into the midst of all these policies comes the Ring of Power, the foundation of Barad-dûr, and the hope of Sauron.
...'Concerning this thing, my lords, you now all know enough for the understanding of our plight, and of Sauron's...'

...'...Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary. Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule...'

...'...Now Sauron...knows that this precious thing which he lost has been found again; but he does not yet know where it is... ...therefore he is now in great doubt. For if we have found this thing, there are some among us with strength enough to wield it. That too he knows. For do I not guess rightly, Aragorn, that you have shown yourself to him in the Stone of Orthanc?'
...'I did so ere I rode from the Hornburg,' answered Aragorn. 'I deemed that the time was ripe, and that the Stone had come to me for just such a purpose. It was then ten days since the Ring-bearer went east from Rauros, and the Eye of Sauron, I thought, should be drawn out from his own land. Too seldom has he been challenged since he returned to his Tower...'"
..."'Sauron's doubt will be growing, even as we speak here. His Eye is now straining towards us, blind almost to all else that is moving. So we must keep it. Therein lies all our hope... ...We have not the Ring. In wisdom or great folly it has been sent away to be destroyed lest it destroy us. Without it we cannot by force defeat his force. But we must at all costs keep his Eye from his true peril. We cannot achieve victory by arms, but by arms we can give the Ring-bearer his only chance, frail though it be.'
...'As Aragorn has begun, so we must go on... ...We must call out his hidden strength, so that he shall empty his land. We must march out to meet him at once. We must make ourselves the bait, though his jaws should close on us....'

...'...We must walk open-eyed into that trap, with courage, but small hope for ourselves. For, my lords, it may well prove that we ourselves shall perish utterly in a black battle far from the living lands; so that even if Barad-dûr be thrown down, we shall not live to see a new age. But this, I deem, is our duty...'"

..."'...As I have begun, so I will go on,' said Aragorn. 'We come now to the very brink, where hope and despair are akin. To waver is to fall. Let none now reject the counsels of Gandalf, whose long labours against Sauron come at last to their test. But for him all would long ago have been lost.'"

2. Frodo from the Morgai looks out over the camp to Mount Doom.
(from the appendices)
..."They woke together, hand in hand. Sam was almost fresh, ready for another day; but Frodo sighed. His sleep had been uneasy, full of dreams of fire, and waking brought him no comfort. Still his sleep had not been without all healing virtue: he was stronger, more able to bear his burden one stage further. They did not know the time, nor how long they had slept; but after a morsel of food and a sip of water they went on up the ravine... ...There the last living things gave up their struggle; the tops of the Morgai were grassless, bare, jagged, barren as a slate.
...After much wandering and search they found a way that they could climb, and with a last hundred feet of clawing scramble they were up...

......Still far away, forty miles at least, they saw Mount Doom, its feet founded in ashen ruin, its huge cone rising to a great height, where its reeking head was swathed in cloud... ...The Dark Power was deep in thought, and the Eye turned inward, pondering tidings of doubt and danger: a bright sword, and a stern and kingly face it saw, and for a while it gave little thought to other things; and all its great stronghold, gate on gate, and tower on tower, was wrapped in a brooding gloom.
...Frodo and Sam gazed out in mingled loathing and wonder on this hateful land.... ...As far as their eyes could reach, along the skirts of the Morgai and away southward, there were camps, some of tents, some ordered like small towns. One of the largest of these was right below them....

...'...I don't like the look of things at all,' said Sam. 'Pretty hopeless, I call it—saving that where there's such a lot of folk there must be wells or water, not to mention food. And these are Men not Orcs, or my eyes are all wrong.'
...'Well,' Sam went on. 'Whatever they have to eat and drink, we can't get it. There's no way down that I can see. And we couldn't cross all that open country crawling with enemies, even if we did get down.'
...'Still we shall have to try,' said Frodo. '... I never hoped to get across. I can't see any hope of it now. But I've still got to do the best I can. At present that is to avoid being captured as long as possible. So we must still go northwards, I think, and see what it is like where the open plain is narrower.'
...'I guess what it'll be like,' said Sam. 'Where it's narrower the Orcs and Men will just be packed closer. You'll see, Mr. Frodo.'
...'I dare say I shall, if we ever get so far,' said Frodo and turned away."

3. Many of the Fellowship are reunited in Minas Tirith.
..."Legolas and Gimli were early abroad, and they begged leave to go up into the city; for they were eager to see Merry and Pippin.
...'It is good to learn that they are still alive,' said Gimli; 'for they cost us great pains in our march over Rohan, and I would not have such pains all wasted.'
...Together the Elf and the Dwarf entered Minas Tirith, and folk that saw them pass marvelled to see such companions; for Legolas was fair of face beyond the measure of Men, and he sang an elven-song in a clear voice... ...Gimli stalked beside him, stroking his beard and staring about him.
...'There is some good stone-work here,' he said... ...'but also some that is less good, and the streets could be better contrived. When Aragorn comes into his own, I shall offer him the service of stonewrights of the Mountain, and we will make this a town to be proud of.'
...'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'"

[Legolas and Gimli came to the Houses of the Healing]"...and there they found their friends in the garden, and their meeting was a merry one. For a while they walked and talked, rejoicing for a brief space in peace and rest... ...when Merry became weary, they went and sat upon the wall with the greensward of the Houses of Healing behind them...."

..."...Legolas fell silent, while the others talked, and he looked out against the sun, and as he gazed he saw white sea-birds beating up the River.
...'Look!' he cried. 'Gulls! They are flying far inland. A wonder they are to me and a trouble to my heart. Never in all my life had I met them, until we came to Pelargir, and there I heard them crying in the air as we rode to the battle of the ships. Then I stood still, forgetting war in Middle-earth; for their wailing voices spoke to me of the Sea... ...deep in the hearts of all my kindred lies the sea-longing, which it is perilous to stir. Alas! for the gulls. No peace shall I have again under beech or under elm.'
...'Say not so!' said Gimli. 'There are countless things still to see in Middle-earth... ...if all the fair folk take to the Havens, it will be a duller world for those who are doomed to stay.'
...'Dull and dreary indeed!' said Merry. 'You must not go to the Havens, Legolas. There will always be some folk, big or little, and even a few wise dwarves like Gimli, who need you. At least I hope so...'
...'...Don't be so gloomy!' cried Pippin. 'The Sun is shining, and here we are together for a day or two at least.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 24 (7331 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 17, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot fall.
(from the appendices)
... "At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the River Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale. There he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain..."

... [Gandalf reflects after Pelennor]”'...Dáin has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did, standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell.'"

2. Many Dwarves and Men take refuge in Erebor and are besieged.
..."...the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate, and many, both Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
...When news came of the great victories in the South, then Sauron's northern army was filled with dismay; and the besieged came forth and routed them, and the remnant fled into the East and troubled Dale no more."

3. Shagrat brings Frodo's cloak, mail-shirt, and sword to Barad-dûr.
(from the appendices)
...[Telling how Shagrat got Frodo's belongings out] "[Sam] sprang out to meet Shagrat with a shout. He was no longer holding the Ring, but it was there, a hidden power, a cowing menace to the slaves of Mordor; and in his hand was Sting, and its light smote the eyes of the orc like the glitter of cruel stars in the terrible elf-countries... ...Shagrat could not both fight and keep hold of his treasure. He stooped, growling, baring his fangs. Then one more, orc-fashion, he leapt aside, and as Sam sprang at him, using the heavy bundle as both shield and weapon, he thrust it hard into his enemy's face. Sam staggered, and before he could recover, Shagrat darted past and down the stairs.

...Sam ran after him, cursing, but he did not go far... ...Away below Shagrat went leaping down the stairs and out over the court and through the gate. Bearing his precious burden."

4. Aragorn musters the armies while Gandalf, Pippin, Legolas, and Gimli prepare to depart for Mordor.
..."...at once swift riders were sent out to gather what news they could northwards; and eastwards, from Osgiliath and the road to Minas Morgul.
...And when they had reckoned up all their strength and taken thought for the journeys they should make and the roads they should choose, Imrahil suddenly laughed aloud.
...'Surely,' he cried, 'this is the greatest jest in all the history of Gondor: that we should ride with seven thousands... ...to assail the mountains and the impenetrable gate of the Black Land! So might a child threaten a mail-clad knight with a bow of string and green willow! If the Dark Lord knows so much as you say, Mithrandir, will he not rather smile than fear, and... ...crush us like a fly that tries to sting him?'
...'No, he will try to trap the fly and take the sting,' said Gandalf. 'And there are names among us that are worth more than a thousand mail-clad knights apiece. No, he will not smile.'
...'Neither shall we,' said Aragorn. 'If this be jest, then it is too bitter for laughter. Nay, it is the last move in a great jeopardy, and for one side or the other it will bring the end of the game.' Then he drew Andúril and held it up glittering in the sun. 'You shall not be sheathed again until the last battle is fought,' he said."

5. In the Houses of Healing, Faramir, Éowyn, and Merry recover from their wounds on the Pelennor field.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Éowyn still rested from her wounds, confined to her bed. Merry visits with Pippin, Legolas and Gimli before their departure the next day. Faramir rises, restless and heavy-hearted.

6. Frodo and Sam continue their scramble over the rocky terrain.
..."'Well, I suppose we must be going on again,' Frodo said. 'I wonder how long it will be before we really are caught and all the toiling and the slinking will be over, and in vain.' He stood up. 'It's dark, and we cannot use the Lady's glass. Keep it safe for me, Sam. I have nowhere to keep it now, except in my hand, and I shall need both hands in the blind night. But Sting I give to you. I have got an orc-blade, but I do not think it will be my part to strike any blow again....'"

... "'...Begging your pardon, Mr. Frodo,' he said, 'but have you any notion how far there is still to go?'
...'No, not any clear notion, Sam,' Frodo answered. 'In Rivendell before I set out I was shown a map of Mordor that was made before the Enemy came back here; but I only remember it vaguely... ...I guess that we have gone about twelve leagues north from the bridge now. Even if all goes well, I could hardly reach the Mountain in a week. I am afraid, Sam, that the burden will get very heavy, and I shall go still slower as we get nearer.'
...Sam sighed. 'That's just as I feared.' he said. 'Well, to say nothing of water, we've got to eat less, Mr. Frodo, or else move a bit quicker... ...One more bite and all the food's ended, save the Elves' waybread.'
...'I'll try and be a bit quicker, Sam,' said Frodo, drawing a deep breath. 'Come on then! Let's start another march!'"

[league = 3 miles]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2018, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 24 (7334 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 18, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host of the West marches from Minas Tirith.
(from the appendices)
..."Legolas and Gimli were to ride again together in the company of Aragorn and Gandalf, who went in the van with the Dúnedain and the sons of Elrond... ...In the same company Pippin was also to go, as a soldier of Gondor. Merry could see him not far off, a small but upright figure among the tall men of Minas Tirith. At last the trumpets rang and the army began to move. Troop by troop, and company by company, they wheeled and went off eastward.
..."Ere noon the army came to Osgiliath.... ...the vanguard passed on through the ruins of Old Gondor, and over the wide River... ...horsemen pressed on and ere evening they came to the Cross Roads and the great ring of trees, and all was silent. No sign of the enemy had they seen, no cry or call had been heard, no shaft had sped from rock or thicket by the way, yet ever as they went forward they felt the watchfulness of the land increase. Tree and stone, blade and leaf were listening..."

..."Aragorn set trumpeters at each of the four roads that ran into the ring of trees, and they blew a great fanfare, and the heralds cried aloud: "The Lords of Gondor have returned and all this land that is theirs they take back.'"

2. Merry, Faramir and Éowyn are still confined to the Houses of the Healing; but Merry rose up for the army's departure.
..."Merry to his shame was not to go with them. 'You are not fit for such a journey,' said Aragorn. 'But do not be ashamed. If you do no more in this war, you have already earned great honour. Peregrin shall go and represent the Shirefolk; and do not grudge him his chance of peril, for though he has done as well as his fortune allowed him, he has yet to match your deed."

..."...So despondently Merry now stood and watched the mustering of the army. Bergil was with him... ...(Merry) remained with bowed head and heavy heart, feeling friendless and alone. Everyone that he cared for had gone away into that gloom that hung over the distant eastern sky; and little hope at all was left in his heart that he would ever see any of them again. As if recalled by his mood of despair, the pain in his arm returned, and he felt weak and old, and the sunlight seemed thin. He was roused by the touch of Bergil's hand.
...'Come, Master Perian!' said the lad. 'You are still in pain... ...I will help you back to the Healers. But do not fear! They will come back. The Men of Minas Tirith will never be overcome. And now they have the Lord Elfstone, and Beregond of the Guard too.'"

3. Frodo comes in sight of the Isenmouthe; he is overtaken by Orcs on the road from Durthang to Udûn.
(from the appendices)
..."'We've come to a dead end, Sam,' said Frodo. 'If we go on, we shall only come up to that orc-tower, but the only road to take is that road that comes down from it—unless we go back....' '...Then we must take the road, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam. 'We must take it and chance our luck, if there is any luck in Mordor. We might as well give ourselves up as wander about any more, or try to go back. Our food won't last. We've got to make a dash for it!'
...'All right, Sam,' said Frodo. 'Lead me! As long as you've got any hope left. Mine is gone. But I can't dash, Sam. I'll just plod along after you...'"

..."...suddenly in the stillness of the night they heard the sound that all along they had secretly dreaded: the noise of marching feet. It was still some way behind them, but looking back they could see the twinkle of torches coming round the bend less than a mile away, and they were moving fast; too fast for Frodo to escape by flight along the road ahead...
...'I feared it, Sam,' said Frodo. 'We've trusted to luck, and it has failed us... ...We're trapped at last!' said Frodo. He sank to the ground beneath the wall of rock and bowed his head.
...'Seems so,' said Sam. 'Well, we can but wait and see.' And with that he sat down beside Frodo under the shadow of the cliff.... ...Now Sam too bowed his head, hoping that it would hide his face when the torches reached them; and he set their shields before their knees to hide their feet."

..."Then suddenly, one of the slave-drivers spied the two figures by the road-side.... 'Come on, you slugs!' he cried....
.....They struggled to their feet, and keeping bent, limping like footsore soldiers... ...the company started off again at a brisk trot.
...It was hard enough for poor Sam, tired as he was; but for Frodo it was a torment, and soon a nightmare."

..."...Frodo's strength began to give out and his will wavered. He lurched and stumbled. Desperately Sam tried to help him and hold him up, though he felt that he could himself hardly stay the pace much longer. At any moment now he knew that the end would come: his master would faint or fall, and all would be discovered, and their bitter efforts be in vain. 'I'll have that big slave-driving devil anyway...'
......Then just as Sam was putting his hand to the hilt of his sword, there came an unexpected relief... ...it chanced that several companies came together at the road... ...At once there was great jostling and cursing...
...Dazed as he was with pain and weariness, Sam woke up, grasped quickly at his chance, and threw himself to the ground, dragging Frodo down with him. Orcs fell over them, snarling and cursing. Slowly on hand and knee the hobbits crawled away out of the turmoil, until at last un-noticed they dropped over the further edge of the road....
......They lay still for a while. It was too dark to seek for cover, if indeed there was any to find; but Sam felt that they ought at least to get further away from the highways and out of the range of torchlight.
...'Come on, Mr. Frodo!' he whispered. 'One more crawl, and then you can lie still.'
...With a despairing effort Frodo raised himself on his hands, and struggled on for maybe twenty yards. Then he pitched into a shallow pit that opened unexpectedly before them, and there he lay like a dead thing."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

hanne
Lorien

Mar 14 2018, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 24 (7293 views)
Shortcut
turning points... [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy travels grammaboodawg!

March 14 is a day of turning points, isn't it.

Thorin and Gandalf are about to change the history of the North.

Sam and Frodo switch leadership roles.

The leadership of Minas Tirith passes from someone in despair (Denethor) to someone with hope (Gandalf).

The wind changes...this both signifies the Valar taking a hand, and physically makes it possible for help to arrive at Minas Tirith. Eomer bypasses the orc army undetected and Aragorn's fleet is blown quickly up the river.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 15 2018, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 24 (7083 views)
Shortcut
and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
March 15, 3019 (S.R. 1419)

4. Battle of the Pelennor.
(from the appendices)

"...and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old... ...His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

And then all the host of Rohan burst into song
and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 7:22pm

Post #9 of 24 (6982 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

They really have captured the power and emotion! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 16 2018, 7:27pm

Post #10 of 24 (6983 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

"The pieces are moving" comes to my mind. All the sacrifices, movement, hardships and trust come to this. Just incredible!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 17 2018, 4:59pm

Post #11 of 24 (6937 views)
Shortcut
Chance Thomas became one of my favorite composers because of his LOTRO music [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They really have captured the power and emotion! :D

I agree Smile

Also the composer, Chance Thomas, has written some words for each of these tracks in each YouTube video's description.

I also really like that he had the vocalists sing in Old English (the language Tolkien chose to represent the language of the Rohirrim).

From the first track I linked:

As a side note, this track contains one of my favorite verses from Two Towers: "Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?"

The Old English translation is: "Hwaer nú cwom hors ond hererinc? Hwaer cwom herehorn blawende?"

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 17 2018, 5:55pm

Post #12 of 24 (6929 views)
Shortcut
Such a dull, boring day in Middle-earth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:09pm

Post #13 of 24 (6922 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 19, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host comes to Morgul-vale.
(from the appendices)

..."...when the main host came up, they set a strong guard upon the Cross Roads to make some defence, if Mordor should send a force over the Morgul Pass, or should bring more men up from the South. For that guard they chose mostly archers who knew the ways of Ithilien and would lie hid in the woods and slopes... ...But Gandalf and Aragorn rode with the vanguard to the entrance of Morgul Vale and looked on the evil city. It was dark and lifeless; for the Orcs and lesser creatures of Mordor that had dwelt there had been destroyed in battle, and the Nazgûl were abroad. Yet the air of the valley was heavy with fear and enmity..."

2. Frodo and Samwise escape and begin their journey along the road to the Barad-dûr.
(from the appendices)

..."Sam tried to guess the distances and to decide what way they ought to take. 'It looks every step of fifty miles,' he muttered gloomily... ...and that'll take a week, if it takes a day, with Mr. Frodo as he is.' He shook his head, and as he worked things out, slowly a new dark thought grew in his mind. Never for long had hope died in his staunch heart, and always... ...he had taken some thought for their return. But the bitter truth came home to him at last: at best their provision would take them to their goal; and when the task was done, there they would come to an end, alone, houseless, foodless in the midst of a terrible desert. There could be no return.
...'So that was the job I felt I had to do when I started,' thought Sam: 'To help Mr. Frodo to the last step and then die with him? Well, if that is the job then I must do it. But I would dearly like to see Bywater again, and Rosie Cotton and her brothers, and the Gaffer... ...and all. I can't think somehow that Gandalf would have sent Mr. Frodo on this errand, if there hadn't a' been any hope of his ever coming back at all. Things all went wrong when he went down in Moria. I wish he hadn't. He would have done something.'
...But even if hope died in Sam, or seemed to die, it was turned to a new strength. Sam's plain hobbit-face grew stern... ...as the will hardened in him, and he felt through all his limbs a thrill, as if he was turning into some creature of stone and steel that neither despair nor weariness nor endless barren miles could subdue...
......Sam went back to his master. He had no need to rouse him. Frodo was lying on his back with eyes open, staring at the cloudy sky. 'Well, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam, 'I've been having a look around and thinking a bit. There's nothing on the roads, and we'd best be getting away while there's a chance. Can you manage it?'
...'I can manage it,' said Frodo. 'I must.'"

3. In the Houses of Healing.

...Éowyn remained confined to her bed by the Warden of the Houses of Healing, but Faramir and Merry would rise for short measures of time as they slowly recovered.
...As her strength returned, Merry would sit with Éowyn and they would speak lightly of what they could see of the White City from their windows, yet they never spoke of the great ride of the Rohirrim nor the battle that followed. They would often find themselves quietly sitting. No words need be said. He could sense the shadow that enshrouded the fair Lady of Rohan and the sadness in her eyes broke his heart.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 17 2018, 8:15pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:10pm

Post #14 of 24 (6923 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host continued their defiant march to Mordor.

..."All the land now brooded as at the coming of a great storm: for the Captains of the West had passed the Cross Roads and set flames in the deadly fields of Imlad Morgul.

......It was some hundred miles by that way from the Cross Roads to the Morannon, and what might befall them before they came so far none knew.... "

2. As Minas Tirith was busily repairing and fortifying the White City for the next onslaught, the White Lady of Rohan rises from her sickbed.

..."Éowyn bade the women who tended her to bring her raiment, and she would not be gainsaid, but rose; and when they had clothed her and set her arm in a sling of linen, she went to the Warden of the Houses of Healing.
...Sir,' she said, 'I am in great unrest, and I cannot lie longer in sloth.'
...'Lady,' he answered, 'you are not yet healed, and I was commanded to tend you with especial care. You should not have risen from your bed for seven days yet... ...I beg you to go back.'
...'I am healed,' she said, 'healed at least in body, save my left arm only, and that is at ease. But I shall sicken anew, if there is naught that I can do....'

...'...There is a marshal over the Riders of Rohan;' [said the Warden] 'and the Lord Húrin, I am told, commands the men of Gondor. But the Lord Faramir is by right the Steward of the City.'
...'Where can I find him?'
...'In this house, Lady. He was sorely hurt, but is now set again on the way to health. But I do not know----'
...'Will you not bring me to him? Then you will know.'

...The Lord Faramir was walking alone in the garden of the Houses of Healing, and the sunlight warmed him, and he felt life run anew in his veins; but his heart was heavy, and he looked out over the wall eastward. ...the Warden spoke his name, and he turned and saw the Lady Éowyn of Rohan; and he was moved with pity, for he saw that she was hurt, and his clear sight perceived her sorrow and unrest.
...'My lord,' said the Warden, 'here is the Lady Éowyn of Rohan. She rode with the king and was sorely hurt... ... But she is not content, and she wishes to speak to the Steward of the City.'
...'Do not misunderstand him, lord,' said Éowyn. 'It is not lack of care that grieves me. No houses could be fairer, for those who desire to be healed. But I cannot lie in sloth, idle, caged. I looked for death in battle. But I have not died and the battle still goes on.'
...At a sign from Faramir, the Warden bowed and departed. 'What would you have me do, lady?' said Faramir. 'I also am a prisoner of the healers.' He looked at her, and being a man whom pity deeply stirred, it seemed to him that her loveliness amid her grief would pierce his heart. And she looked at him and saw the grave tenderness in his eyes, and yet knew... ... that here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle.
...'What do you wish?' he said again. 'If I lies in my power, I will do it.'
...'I would have you command this Warden, and bid him let me go,' she said; but though her words were still proud, her heart faltered, and for the first time she doubted herself. She guessed that this tall man, both stern and gentle, might think her... ...like a child that has not the firmness of mind to go on with a dull task to the end.
...'I myself am in the Warden's keeping,' answered Faramir. 'Nor have I yet taken up my authority in the City. But had I done so, I should still listen to his counsel, and should not cross his will in matters of his craft, unless in some great need.'
...'But I do not desire healing,' she said. 'I wish to ride to war like my brother Éomer, or better like Théoden the king, for he died and has both honour and peace.'
...'It is too late, lady, to follow the Captains, even if you had the strength,' said Faramir. 'But death in battle may come to us all yet... ...You will be better prepared to face it in your own manner, if while there is still time you do as the Healer commanded. You and I, we must endure with patience the hours of waiting.'
...She did not answer, but as he looked at her it seemed to him that something in her softened, as though a bitter frost were yielding at the first faint presage of Spring. A tear sprang in her eye and fell down her cheek... ...Her proud head drooped a little. Then quietly, more as if speaking to herself than to him: 'But the healers would have me lie abed seven days yet,' she said. 'And my window does not look eastward.' Her voice was now that of a maiden young and sad.
...Faramir smiled, though his heart was filled with pity. 'Your window does not look eastward?' he said. 'That can be amended... ...If you will stay in this house in our care, lady, and take your rest, then you shall walk in this garden in the sun, as you will; and you shall look east, whither all our hopes have gone. And here you will find me, walking and waiting, and looking east. It would ease my care, if you would speak to me, or walk at whiles with me.
...Then she raised her head and looked him in the eyes again; and a colour came in her pale face. 'How should I ease your care, my lord?' she said. 'And I do not desire the speech of living men.'
...'Would you have my plain answer?' he said.
...'I would.'
...'Then, Éowyn of Rohan, I say to you that you are beautiful. In the valleys of our hills there are flowers fair and bright, and maidens fairer still; but neither flower nor lady have I seen till now in Gondor so lovely, and so sorrowful. It may be that only a few days are left ere darkness falls upon our world, and when it comes I hope to face it steadily; but it would ease my heart... ... if I could see you still. For you and I have both passed under the wings of the Shadow, and the same hand drew us back.'
...'Alas, not me, lord!' she said. 'Shadow lies on me still. Look not to me for healing! I am a shieldmaiden and my hand is ungentle. But I thank you for this at least, that I need not keep to my chamber. I will walk abroad by the grace of the Steward of the City.' And she did him a courtesy and walked back to the house. But Faramir for a long while walked alone in the garden, and his glance now strayed rather to the house than to the eastward walls.
...When he returned to his chamber he called for the Warden, and heard all that he could tell of the Lady of Rohan.
...'But I doubt not, lord... ...that you would learn more from the Halfling that is with us; for he was in the riding of the king, and with the Lady at the end, they say.'
...And so Merry was sent to Faramir, and while that day lasted they talked long together, and Faramir learned much, more even than Merry put into words; and he thought that he understood now something of the grief and unrest of Éowyn of Rohan. And in the fair evening, Faramir and Merry walked in the garden, but she did not come."

3. Frodo and Sam

..."So the desperate journey went on, as the Ring went south and the banners of the kings rode north. For the hobbits each day, each mile, was more bitter than the one before, as their strength lessened and the land became more evil. They met no enemies by day. At times by night, as they cowered or drowsed uneasily in some hiding beside the road, they heard cries and the noise of many feet or the swift passing of some cruelly ridden steed."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 17 2018, 8:12pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:11pm

Post #15 of 24 (6921 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host continues their march to Mordor.

..."...the army began its northward march along the road. It was some hundred miles by that way from the Cross Roads to the Morannon, and what might befall them before they came so far none knew. They went openly but heedfully, with mounted scouts before them on the road, and others on foot upon either side..."

..."...Ever and anon Gandalf let blow the trumpets, and the heralds would cry: 'The Lords of Gondor are come! Let all leave this land or yield them up!' But Imrahil said: 'Say not the Lords of Gondor. Say The King Elessar. For that is true, even though he has not yet sat upon the throne; and it will give the Enemy more thought, if the heralds use that name.' And thereafter thrice a day the heralds proclaimed the coming of the King Elessar. But none answered the challenge.
...Nonetheless, though they marched in seeming peace, the hearts of all the company, from the highest to the lowest, were downcast, and with every mile that they went north foreboding of evil grew heavier on them..."

2. Minas Tirith waits.

..."...as Faramir came from the Houses, he saw her, as she stood upon the walls; and she was clad all in white, and gleamed in the sun. And he called to her, and she came down, and they walked on the grass or sat under a green tree together, now in silence, now in speech. And each day after they did likewise."

3. Frodo and Sam's strength is giving out.

..."... far worse than all such perils was the ever-approaching threat that beat upon them as they went: the dreadful menace of the Power that waited, brooding in deep thought and sleepless malice behind the dark veil about its Throne. Nearer and nearer it drew, looming blacker, like the on-coming of a wall of night at the last end of the world."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:14pm

Post #16 of 24 (6920 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The dreadful nightfall.
(from the appendices)

..."...And from that evening onward the Nazgûl came and followed every move of the army. They still flew high and out of sight of all save Legolas, and yet their presence could be felt, as a deepening of shadow and a dimming of the sun; and though the Ringwraiths did not yet stoop low upon their foes and were silent, uttering no cry, the dread of them could not be shaken off."

2. Frodo and Samwise leave the road and turn south to Mount Doom.
(from the appendices)

..."There came at last a dreadful nightfall; and even as the Captains of the West drew near to the end of the living lands, the two wanderers came to an hour of blank despair. Four days had passed since they had escaped from the orcs, but the time lay behind them like an ever-darkening dream. All this last day Frodo had not spoken, but had walked half-bowed, often stumbling, as if his eyes no longer saw the way before his feet. Sam guessed that among all their pains he bore the worst, the growing weight of the Ring a burden on the body and a torment to his mind. Anxiously Sam had noted how his master's left hand would often be raised as if to ward off a blow, or to screen his shrinking eyes from a dreadful Eye that sought to look in them… …his right hand would creep to his breast, clutching, and then slowly, as the will recovered mastery, it would be withdrawn.
...Now as the blackness of night returned Frodo sat, his head between his knees, his arms hanging wearily to the ground where his hands lay feebly twitching. Sam watched him, till night covered them both and hid them from one another. He could no longer find any words to say; and he turned to his own dark thoughts… …though weary and under a shadow of fear, he still had some strength left. The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. It did not satisfy desire, and at times Sam's mind was filled with the memories of food, the longing for simple bread and meats. And yet this waybread of the elves had a potency that increased as travellers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind...'"

..."'…Water, water!' muttered Sam. He had stinted himself, and in his parched mouth his tongue seemed thick and swollen; but for all his care they now had very little left, perhaps half his bottle, and maybe there were still days to go..."

..."…At last wearied with his cares Sam drowsed, leaving the morrow till it came; he could do no more. Dream and waking mingled uneasily. He saw lights like gloating eyes, and dark creeping shapes, and he heard noises as of wild beasts or the dreadful cries of tortured things; and he would start up to find the world all dark and only empty blackness all about him. Once only, as he stood and stared wildly round, did it seem that, though now awake, he could still see pale lights like eyes; but soon they flickered and vanished."

3. Third assault on Lórien.

..."Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back… "

4. In Minas Tirith, Éowyn and Faramir met daily in the gardens facing east.

..."...the Warden [of the Houses of Healing] looking from his window was glad in heart, for he was a healer, and his care was lightened; and certain it was that, heavy as was the dread and foreboding of those days upon the hearts of men, still these two of his charges prospered and grew daily in strength."

March 22, 2006
1. In memorium.

The passing of our dear friend, Greg. Balin bows.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:18pm

Post #17 of 24 (6921 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Map to the Black Gate from The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad

March 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host passes out of Ithilien.
(from the appendices)

..."So time and the hopeless journey wore away. Upon the fourth day from the Cross Roads and the sixth from Minas Tirith they came at last to the end of the living lands, and began to pass into the desolation that lay before the gates of the Pass of Cirith Gorgor..."

2. Aragorn dismisses the faint-hearted.
(from the appendices)

..."...and they could descry the marshes and the desert that stretched north and west to the Emyn Muil. So desolate were those places and so deep the horror that lay on them that some of the host were unmanned, and they could neither walk nor ride further north.
...Aragorn looked at them, and there was pity in his eyes rather than wrath; for these were young men from Rohan... ...and to them Mordor had been from childhood a name of evil, and yet unreal, a legend that had no part in their simple life; and now they walked like men in a hideous dream made true, and they understood not this war nor why fate should lead them to such a pass.
...'Go!' said Aragorn. 'But keep what honour you may, and do not run! And there is a task which you may attempt and so be not wholly shamed. Take your way south-west till you come to Cair Andros, and if that is still held by enemies... ...then re-take it, if you can; and hold it to the last in defence of Gondor and Rohan!'
...Then some being shamed by his mercy overcame their fear and went on, and the others took new hope, hearing of a manful deed within their measure that they could turn to, and they departed. And so, since many men had already been left at the Cross Roads, it was with less than six thousands that the Captains of the West came at last to challenge the Black Gate and the might of Mordor."

Gorgoroth

3. Frodo and Samwise cast away their arms and gear.
(from the appendices)

..."...Sam took out all the things in his pack. Somehow each of them had become dear to him, if only because he had borne them so far with so much toil. Hardest of all it was to part with his cooking-gear. Tears welled in his eyes at the thought of casting it away.
...'Do you remember that bit of rabbit, Mr. Frodo? And our place under the warm bank in Captain Faramir's country, the day I saw an oliphaunt?'
...'No, I am afraid not, Sam. At least I know that such things happened, but I cannot see them. No taste of food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or flower, no image of moon or star are left to me. I am naked in the dark, Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades.'
...Sam went to him and kissed his hand. 'Then the sooner we're rid of it, the sooner to rest,' he said haltingly... ...'Talking won't mend nothing,' he muttered to himself, as he gathered up all the things that they had chosen to cast away.... '...Stinker picked up that orc-shirt, seemingly, and he isn't going to add a sword to it. His hands are bad enough when empty. And he isn't going to mess with my pans!' With that he carried all the gear away to one of the many gaping fissures that scored the land and threw them in. The clatter of his precious pans as they fell down into the dark was like a death-knell to his heart.
...He came back to Frodo, and then of his elven-rope he cut a short piece to serve his master as a girdle and bind the grey cloak close about his waist. The rest he carefully coiled and put back in his pack... ...he kept only the remnants of their waybread and the water-bottle, and Sting still hanging by his belt; and hidden away in a pocket of his tunic next to his breast the phial of Galadriel and the little box that she gave him for his own."

..."That day it seemed to Sam that his master had found some new strength, more than could be explained by the small lightening of the load that he had to carry... ...But as the day wore on and all too soon the dim light began to fail, Frodo stooped again, and began to stagger, as if the renewed effort had squandered his remaining strength.
...At their last halt he sank down and said: 'I'm thirsty, Sam,' and did not speak again. Sam gave him a mouthful of water; only one more mouthful remained. He went without himself....'"

..."...He could not sleep and he held a debate with himself. 'Well, come now, we've done better than you hoped,' he said sturdily. 'Began well anyway. I reckon we crossed half the distance before we stopped. One more day will do it.' And then he paused.
...'Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice. 'He won't go another day like that, if he moves at all. And you can't go on much longer giving him all the water and most of the food...'

...'...There you are!' came the answer. 'It's all quite useless. He said so himself. You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling. You could have lain down and gone to sleep together days ago, if you hadn't been so dogged. But you'll die just the same, or worse. You might just as well lie down and give it up. You'll never get to the top anyway.'
...'I'll get there, if I leave everything but my bones behind,' said Sam. 'And I'll carry Mr. Frodo up myself, if it breaks my back and heart. So stop arguing!'"

4. In Minas Tirith waits.

...Éowyn and Faramir continue to recover from their wounds and would walk daily in the gardens of the Houses of the Healers which face east. Bergil and Merry spent long hours sharing stories to keep their minds from what they fear the Riders are facing. They've also developed a gift of discretion and were careful to avoid the gardens when Faramir and Éowyn were deep in conversation.

5. Pippin remains with the grim Men of the West.
(not from the appendices—no text)

...As the army moved through the desolate lands of Mordor, Pippin's heavy heart wept as he looked around at the ruination and he thought of Sam and Frodo alone, walking mile after dangerous mile unprotected. As he experienced the oppressive evil that lay on the land, he wondered how they could endure the horror. He feared that they could be lost, captured or perhaps may be dead. His thoughts turned to Merry in the cold White City now far away and wondered what would happen to him if their quest failed. Surrounded by fearsome riders and great leaders of the West, Pippin felt very small, very alone, and longed for the days in the Shire when they were all safe and had no knowledge that such evil and despair existed.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:20pm

Post #18 of 24 (6919 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Mt. Doom (March 24), The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad.

Map of the Captains of the West and Frodo & Sam's journeys (as derived from Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey.

March 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Minas Tirith

..."Over the city of Gondor doubt and great dread had hung. Fair weather and clear sun had seemed but a mockery to men whose days held little hope, and who looked each morning for news of doom. Their lord was dead and burned, dead lay the King of Rohan in their citadel, and the new king that had come to them in the night was gone again to a war... ...And no news came. After the host left Morgul Vale and took the northward road beneath the shadow of the mountains no messenger had returned nor any rumour of what was passing in the brooding East."

2. The Host camps in the Desolation of the Morannon.
(from the appendices)

..."They advanced now slowly, expecting at every hour some answer to their challenge, and they drew together, since it was but waste of men to send out scouts or small parties from the main host. At nightfall... ...they made their last camp, and set fires about it of such dead wood and heath as they could find. They passed the hours of night in wakefulness and they were aware of many things half-seen that walked and prowled all about them, and they heard the howling of wolves....
......It grew cold. As morning came the wind began to stir again, but now it came from the North, and soon it freshened to a rising breeze. All the night-walkers were gone, and the land seemed empty. North amid their noisome pits lay the first of the great heaps and hills of slag and broken rock and blasted earth, the vomit of the maggot-folk of Mordor; but south and now near loom the great rampart of Cirith Gorgor, and the Black Gate amid-most, and the two Towers of the Teeth tall and dark upon either side.... ...the Captains had turned away from the old road as it bent east, and avoided the peril of the lurking hills, and so now they were approaching the Morannon from the north-west, even as Frodo had done."

3. Frodo and Samwise make their last journey to the feet of Mount Doom.
(from the appendices)

..."The last stage of the journey to Orodruin came, and it was a torment greater than Sam had ever thought that he could bear. He was in pain, and so parched that he would no longer swallow even a mouthful of food. It remained dark, not only because of the smokes of the Mountain: there seemed to be a storm coming up... ...Worst of all, the air was full of fumes; breathing was painful and difficult, and a dizziness came on them, so that they staggered and often fell. And yet their wills did not yield, and they struggled on.
...The Mountain crept up ever nearer, until... ...it filled all their sight, looming vast before them: a huge mass of ash and slag and burned stone, out of which a sheer-sided cone was raised into the clouds. Before the daylong dusk ended and true night came again they had crawled and stumbled to its very feet.
...With a gasp Frodo cast himself on the ground. Sam sat by him. To his surprise he felt tired but lighter, and his head seemed clear again. No more debates disturbed his mind. He knew all the arguments of despair and would not listen to them. His will was set, and only death would break it.... ...He knew that all the hazards and perils were now drawing together to a point: the next day would be a day of doom, the day of final effort of disaster, the last gasp.
...But when would it come? ...Sam began to wonder if a second darkness had begun and no day would ever reappear. At last he groped for Frodo's hand. It was cold and trembling. His master was shivering. 'I didn't ought to have left my blanket behind,' muttered Sam; and lying down he tried to comfort Frodo with his arms and body. Then sleep took him, and the dim light of the last day of their quest found them side by side."

4. King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot fall in Dale.

..."At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the River Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale... ...he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate... ...Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:24pm

Post #19 of 24 (6923 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all of these links work. I'm on a bad internet and cannot test the links. Thanks for hanging in there :)
Today in Middle-earth

Map of the Battle of the Black Gates from Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey.

March 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Captains of the West come to the Black Gate.

..."No choice was left them but to play their part to its end. Therefore Aragorn now set the host in such array as could best be contrived; and they were drawn up on two great hills of blasted stone and earth that orcs had piled in years of labour... ....When all was ordered, the Captains rode forth towards the Black Gate... ...Gandalf as chief herald, and Aragorn with the sons of Elrond, and Éomer of Rohan, and Imrahil; and Legolas and Gimli and Peregrin were bidden to go also. So that all the enemies of Mordor should have a witness...
...'...Come forth! they cried. 'Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth...'

...There came a long rolling of great drums like thunder in the mountains, and then a braying of horns that shook the very stones and stunned men's ears. And thereupon the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it there came an embassy from the Dark Tower... ...The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it, and he said; 'I am the Mouth of Sauron... ...Is there any one in this rout with authority to treat with me?' he asked. 'Or indeed with wit to understand me? Not thou at least!' he mocked, turning to Aragorn with scorn. 'It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this....'
......Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other's eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow...

...'...You have naught to fear from us, until your errand is done. But unless your master has come to new wisdom, then with all his servants you will be in great peril,' said Gandalf.
...'So!' said the Messenger. 'Then thou art the spokesman, old greybeard... ...I have tokens that I was bidden to show to thee—to thee in especial, if thou shouldst dare to come.' He signed to one of his guards, and he came forward bearing a bundle swathed in black cloths.
...The Messenger put these aside, and there to the wonder and dismay of all the Captains he held up first a short sword such as Sam had carried, and next a grey cloak with an elven-brooch, and last the coat of mithril-mail that Frodo had worn wrapped in his tattered garments. A blackness came before their eyes... ...their hearts were dead and their last hope gone. Pippin who stood behind Prince Imrahil sprang forward with a cry of grief.

...'Silence!' said Gandalf sternly, thrusting him back; but the Messenger laughed aloud.
...'So you have yet another of these imps with you!' he cried. 'What use you find in them I cannot guess... ...it is plain that this brat at least has seen these tokens before, and it would be vain for you to deny them now.'
...'I do not wish to deny them... ...But why do you bring them here?'
...'Dwarf-coat, elf-cloak, blade of the downfallen West, and spy from the little rat-land of the Shire... ...here are the marks of a conspiracy. Now, maybe he that bore these things was a creature that you would not grieve to lose, and maybe otherwise; one dear to you, perhaps? If so, take swift counsel... ...what his fate shall be depends now on your choice.'
...No one answered him; but he saw their faces grey with fear and the horror in their eyes, and he laughed again, for it seemed to him that his sport went well. 'Good, good... ...He was dear to you, I see. Or else his errand was one that you did not wish to fail? It has. And now he shall endure the slow torment of years... ...This shall surely be--unless you accept my Lord's terms...'

......Gandalf said, 'This is much to demand for the delivery of one servant... ...what surety have we that Sauron the Base Master of Treachery will keep his part...'
...'...Surety you crave! Sauron gives none... ...These are his terms. Take them or leave them!'
...'These we will take!' said Gandalf suddenly. He cast aside his cloak and a white light shone forth like a sword in that black place... ...Gandalf coming seized and took from him the tokens: coat, cloak, and sword. 'These we will take in memory of our friend,' he cried. 'But as for your terms, we reject them utterly. Get you gone, for your embassy is over and death is near to you. We did not come here to waste words in treating with Sauron, faithless and accursed; still less with one of his slaves. Begone...!'

2. The Host is surrounded on the Slag Hills.
(from the appendices)

..."...Down from the hills on either side of the Morannon poured Orcs innumerable. The men of the West were trapped, and soon, all about the grey mounds where they stood, forces ten times and more than ten times their match would ring them in a sea of enemies... ...Upon the one hill Aragorn stood with Gandalf, and there fair and desperate was raised the banner of the Tree and Stars. Upon the other hill hard by stood the banners of Rohan and Dol Amroth, White Horse and Silver Swan... ...But in the front towards Mordor where the first bitter assault would come there stood the sons of Elrond on the left with Dúnedain about them, and on the right the Prince Imrahil with the men of Dol Amroth tall and fair, and picked men of the Tower...

......Pippin had bowed crushed with horror when he heard Gandalf reject the terms and doom Frodo to the torment of the Tower; but he had mastered himself, and now he stood beside Beregond in the front rank of Gondor with Imrahil's men... '...I wish Merry was here...'
......the first assault crashed into them... ...a great company of hill-trolls... ...Like a storm they broke upon the line of the men of Gondor... ...At Pippin's side Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell: and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.
...Then Pippin stabbed upwards, and the written blade of Westernesse pierce through the hide and went deep into the vitals of the troll, and his black blood came gushing out. He toppled forward and came crashing down... ...burying those beneath him. Blackness and stench and crushing pain came upon Pippin, and his mind fell away into a great darkness....'"

3. Downfall of Barad-dûr and the passing of Sauron.
(from the appendices)

..."...under the wings of the Nazgûl the shadows of death fell dark upon the earth. Aragorn stood beneath his banner, silent and stern... ...Upon the hill-top stood Gandalf, and he was white and cold and no shadow fell upon him....
......As if to his eyes some sudden vision had been given, Gandalf stirred; and he turned, looking back north where the skies were pale and clear. Then he lifted up his hands and cried in a loud voice ringing above the din: 'The Eagles are coming!'
...There came Gwaihir the Windlord, and Landroval his brother, greatest of all the Eagles of the North... ...behind them in long swift lines came all their vassals from the northern mountains, speeding on a gathering wind. Straight down upon the Nazgûl they bore, stooping suddenly out of the high airs, and the rush of their wide wings as they passed over was like a gale.
...But the Nazgûl turned and fled, and vanished into Mordor's shadows, hearing a sudden terrible call out of the Dark Tower; and even at that moment all the hosts of Mordor trembled... ...The Power that drove them on and filled them with hate and fury was wavering, its will was removed from them; and now looking in the eyes of their enemies they saw a deadly light and were afraid....

......Gandalf lifted up his arms and called once more in a clear voice. 'Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom.'
...And even as he spoke the earth rocked beneath their feet. Then rising swiftly up, far above the Towers of the Black Gate, high above the mountains, a vast soaring darkness sprang into the sky, flickering with fire. The earth groaned and quaked. The Towers of the Teeth swayed... ...the Black Gate was hurled in ruin...
...'...The realm of Sauron is ended!' said Gandalf. 'The Ring-bearer has fulfilled his Quest.' And as the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them... ...there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell....

......Then Gandalf, leaving all such matters of battle and command to Aragorn and the other lords, stood upon the hill-top and called; and down to him came the great eagle, Gwaihir the Windlord, and stood before him.
...'Twice you have borne me, Gwaihir my friend... ...Thrice shall pay for all, if you are willing. You will not find me a burden much greater than when you bore me from Zirak-zigil, where my old life burned away.'
...'I would bear you,' answered Gwaihir, 'whither you will, even were you made of stone.'
...'Then come, and let your brother go with us, and some other of your folk who is most swift! For we have need of speed greater than any wind, outmatching the wings of the Nazgûl.'
...'The North Wind blows, but we shall outfly it,' said Gwaihir. And he lifted up Gandalf and sped away south and with him went Landroval, and Meneldor... ...And they passed over Udûn and Gorgoroth and saw all the land in ruin and tumult beneath them, and before them Mount Doom blazing, pouring out its fire."

4. Frodo and Samwise reach the Sammath Naur.
(from the appendices)

..."The path climbed on... ...and came to the dark door in the Mountain's side, the door of the Sammath Naur... ...all Mordor lay about the Mountain like a dead land, silent, shadow-folded, waiting for some dreadful stroke.
...Sam came to the gaping mouth and peered in. It was dark and hot, and a deep rumbling shook the air. 'Frodo! Master!' he called. There was no answer. For a moment he stood, his heart beating with wild fears, and then he plunged in. A shadow followed him.
...At first he could see nothing. In his great need he drew out once more the phial of Galadriel, but it was pale and cold in his trembling hand and threw no light into that stifling dark. He was come to the heart of the realm of Sauron and the forges of his ancient might, greatest in Middle-earth; all other powers were here subdued... ...all at once there came a flash of red that leaped upward, and smote the high black roof. Then Sam saw that he was in a long cave or tunnel that bored into the Mountain's smoking cone....
......The light sprang up again, and there on the brink of the chasm, at the very Crack of Doom, stood Frodo, black against the glare, tense, erect, but still as if he had been turned to stone.
...'Master!' cried Sam.
...Then Frodo stirred and spoke with a clear voice... ...clearer and more powerful than Sam had ever heard him use, and it rose above the throb and turmoil of Mount Doom, ringing in the roof and walls.
...'I have come... ...But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!' And suddenly, as he set it on his finger, he vanished from Sam's sight. Sam gasped, but he had no chance to cry out... ...Something struck Sam violently in the back, his legs were knocked from under him and he was flung aside, striking his head against the stony floor, as a dark shape sprang over him. He lay still and for a moment all went black."

5. Gollum seizes the Ring and falls into the Cracks of Doom.
(from the appendices)

..."Sam got up... ...dazed, and blood from his head dripped in his eyes. He groped forward, and then he saw a strange and terrible thing. Gollum on the edge of the abyss was fighting like a mad thing with an unseen foe...
......The fires below awoke in anger, the red light blazed... ...Suddenly Sam saw Gollum's long hands draw upwards to his mouth; his white fangs gleamed, and then snapped as they bit. Frodo gave a cry, and there he was, fallen upon his knees at the chasm's edge. But Gollum, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the ring with Frodo's finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire.
...'Precious, precious, precious!' Gollum cried... ...he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail PRECIOUS, and he was gone.

......Sam ran to Frodo and picked him up and carried him out to the door. And there above the plains of Mordor, such wonder and terror came on him that he stood still forgetting all else, and gazed as one turned to stone... ...there came a rumble, rising to a deafening crash and roar; and the earth shook, the plain heaved and cracked, and Orodruin reeled. Fire belched from its riven summit. The skies burst into thunder seared with lightening. Down like lashing ships fell a torrent of black rain. And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds... ...the Nazgûl came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out.

...'Well, this is the end, Sam Gamgee,' said a voice by his side. And there was Frodo, pale and worn, and yet himself again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away. There was the dear master of the sweet days in the Shire.
...'Master!' cried Sam, and fell upon his knees. In all that ruin of the world for the moment he felt only joy... ...The burden was gone. His master had been saved; he was himself again, he was free. And then he caught sight of the maimed and bleeding hand.
...'Your poor hand!' he said. 'And I have nothing to bind it with, or comfort it. I would have spared him a whole hand of mine rather. But he's gone now beyond recall, gone forever.'
...'Yes... ...But do you remember Gandalf's words: "Even Gollum may have something yet to do?" But for him, Sam, I could not have destroyed the Ring. The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him! For the Quest is achieved and now all is over. I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam....'

...'...Yes, I am with you, Master,' said Sam, laying Frodo's wounded hand gently to his breast. 'And you're with me. And the journey's finished. But after coming all that way I don't want to give up yet. It's not like me, somehow, if you understand.' ...'Maybe not, Sam... ...but it's like things are in the world. Hopes fail. An end comes. We have only a little time to wait now. We are lost in ruin and downfall, and there is no escape.'
...'Well, Master, we could at least go further from this dangerous place here, from this Crack of Doom, if that's its name...'
...'...Very well, Sam. If you wish to go, I'll come,' said Frodo; and they rose and went slowly down... ...towards the Mountain's quaking feet, a great smoke and steam belched from the Sammath Naur, and the side of the cone was riven open, and a huge fiery vomit rolled in slow thunderous cascade down the eastern mountain-side.

...Frodo and Sam could go no further. Their last strength of mind and body was swiftly ebbing. They had reached a low ashen hill piled at the Mountain's foot; but from it there was no more escape....

......And so it was that Gwaihir saw them with his keen far-seeing eyes, as down the wild wind he came... ...two small dark figures, forlorn, hand in hand upon a little hill, while the world shook under them... ...And even as he espied them and came swooping down, he saw them fall, worn out, or choked with fumes and heat, or stricken down by despair at last, hiding their eyes from death.
...Side by side they lay; and down swept Gwaihir, and down came Landroval and Meneldor the swift; and in a dream, not knowing what fate had befallen them, the wanderers were lifted up and borne far away..."

6. Minas Tirith
(from the appendices)

..."And so the fifth day came since the Lady Éowyn went first to Faramir; and they stood now together once more upon the wall of the City and looked out. No tidings had yet come, and all hearts were darkened...

...'...What do you look for, Éowyn?' said Faramir.
...'Does not the Black Gate lie yonder?' said she. 'And must he not now be come thither? It is seven days since he rode away.'
...'Seven day,' said Faramir. 'But think not ill of me, if I say to you: they have brought me both a joy and a pain that I never thought to know. Joy to see you; but pain, because now the fear and doubt of this evil time are grown dark indeed. Éowyn, I would not have this world end now, or lose so soon what I have found.'
...'Lose what you have found, lord?' she answered... '...I know not what in these days you have found that you could lose. But come, my friend, let us not speak of it! Let us not speak at all! I stand upon some dreadful brink, and it is utterly dark in the abyss before my feet... ...I wait for some stroke of doom.'
...'Yes, we wait for the stroke of doom,' said Faramir. And they said no more... ...And as they stood so, their hands met and clasped, though they did not know it. And still they waited for they knew not what. Then... ...above the ridges of the distant mountains another vast mountain of darkness rose, towering up like a wave that should engulf the world, and about it lightnings flickered; and then a tremor ran through the earth, and they felt the walls of the City quiver. A sound like a sigh went up from all the lands about them; and their hearts beat suddenly again.
...'It reminds me of Númenor,' said Faramir, and wondered to hear himself speak.
...'Of Númenor?'
...'Yes,' said Faramir, 'of the land of Westernesse that foundered, and of the great dark wave climbing over the green lands and above the hills, and coming on, darkness inescapable. I often dream of it.'
...'Then you think that the Darkness is coming... ...Darkness Unescapable?' And suddenly she drew close to him.
...'No,' said Faramir, looking into her face. 'It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Éowyn, Éowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow...

.....And before the Sun had fallen far from the noon out of the East there came a great Eagle flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope from the Lords of the West, crying: 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor, for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever, and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'"

7. Gondor proclaims their New Year on this date.

[Gandalf speaking to Sam after he wakes in The Field of Cormallen]
... '...in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King.'"

March 25, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo comes home.

..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End; but he was often away in the Shire on his forestry work... ...meanwhile Bag End had been set in order and Merry and Pippin came over from Crickhollow bringing back all the old furniture and gear, so that the old hole soon looked very much as it always had done."

March 25, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Birth of Elanor the Fair, daughter of Samwise.
(from the appendices)

..."Frodo was ill again in March, but with a great effort he concealed it... ...Sam had other things to think about. The first of Sam and Rosie's children was born on the twenty-fifth of March, a date that Sam noted.
...'Well, Mr. Frodo,' he said. 'I'm in a bit of a fix. Rose and me had settled to call him Frodo... ...but it's not him, it's her. Though as pretty a maidchild as any one could hope for... ...So we don't know what to do.'
...'Well, Sam,' said Frodo, 'what's wrong with the old customs? Choose a flower name like Rose. Half the maidchildren in the Shire are called by such names, and what could be better?'
...'I suppose you're right, Mr. Frodo... ...I've heard some beautiful names on my travels, but I suppose they're a bit too grand for daily wear and tear... ...The Gaffer, he says: "Make it short, and then you won't have to cut it short before you can use it." But if it's to be a flower-name, then I don't trouble about the length: it must be a beautiful flower, because, you see, I think she is very beautiful, and is going to be beautifuller still.'
...Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlórien?'
...'You're right again, Mr. Frodo!' said Sam delighted. 'That's what I wanted.'"

March 25, 2003
Tolkien Reading Day

...Launched in 2003 by the Tolkien Society, this annual event is a celebration of J.R.R. Tolkien's works. It encourages individuals, library groups, and education to engage in the study, discussion, and just plain enjoyment of life in Middle-earth... and beyond. The date of March 25 was chosen in honour of the fall of Sauron and the destruction of the One Ring.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:25pm

Post #20 of 24 (6920 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shadow is lifted.

..."After the fall of the Dark Tower and the passing of Sauron the Shadow was lifted from the hearts of all who opposed him, but fear and despair fell upon his servants and allies."

2. In Minas Tirith

..."The days that followed were golden, and Spring and Summer joined and made revel together in the fields of Gondor."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:26pm

Post #21 of 24 (6919 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Bard II and Thorin III Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
(from the appendices - Appendix B: The Tale Of Years: The Third Age: The Great Years)

..."... a host of the allies of Sauron... ...crossed the River Carnen... ...to Dale. There... ...was a great battle at the Mountain's feet.... ...both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate... ...Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
...When news came of the great victories in the South, then Sauron's northern army was filled with dismay; and the besieged came forth and routed them, and the remnant fled into the East and troubled Dale no more. Then Bard II, Brand's son, became King in Dale, and Thorin III Stonehelm, Dáin's son, became King under the Mountain...."

..."...Sauron might have done great evil in the North, if King Dáin and King Brand had not stood in his path. Even as Gandalf said afterwards to Frodo and Gimli, when they dwelt together for a time in Minas Tirith....
...'...I grieved at the fall of Thorin,' said Gandalf; 'and now we hear that Dáin has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did, standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor...
...'...Yet things might have gone far otherwise and far worse. When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin's Folk... ...of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell. There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now hope to return from the victory here only to ruin and ash. But... ...averted - because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring in Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth....'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2018, 8:28pm

Post #22 of 24 (6920 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Celeborn crosses Anduin; destruction of Dol Guldur begun.
(from the appendices)

..."Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed."

2. Free from the land of the Shadow.
(not from the appendices—no text)

...Under the care of the King's healing hand, Frodo and Samwise rest in fair Ithilien in a deep, merciful sleep while a cloaked, bent figure sits quietly by, smoking and watching.

March 28, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Lady's gift and the Gardener's labours grace the Shire.

..."Spring surpassed his wildest hopes. His trees began to sprout and grow, as if time was in a hurry and wished to make one year do for twenty."

2. Lobelia Sackville-Baggins passes in the Spring.

[This first part isn't what happened today... it's just a buildup for Lobelia's post in the second part]
[November 4, 3019]
..."...she looked very old and thin when they rescued her from a dark and narrow cell. She insisted on hobbling out on her own feet; and she had... ...such clapping and cheering when she appeared, leaning on Frodo's arm but still clutching her umbrella, that she was quite touched and drove away in tears. She had never in her life been popular before. But she was crushed by the news of Lotho's murder, and she would not return to Bag End. She gave it back to Frodo, and went to her own people, the Bracegirdles of Hardbottle..."

[March 28, 3020]

..."When the poor creature died next Spring—she was after all more than a hundred years old—Frodo was surprised and much moved: she had left all that remained of her money and of Lotho's for him to use in helping hobbits made homeless by the troubles. So that feud was ended."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29 2018, 12:36pm

Post #23 of 24 (6387 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 29, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Minas Tirith prepares.
..."...tidings now came by swift riders from Cair Andros of all that was done, and the City made ready for the coming of the King. Merry was summoned and rode away with the wains that took store of goods to Osgiliath... ...by ship to Cair Andros; but Faramir did not go, for now being healed he took upon him his authority and the stewardship, although it was only for a little while, and his duty was to prepare for one who should replace him.
...And Éowyn did not go, though her brother sent word begging her to come to the field of Cormallen. And Faramir wondered at this, but he saw her seldom... ...and she dwelt still in the Houses of Healing and walked alone in the garden, and her face grew pale again and it seemed that in all the City she only was ailing and sorrowful."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2018, 11:09am

Post #24 of 24 (6327 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 30, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf rest at Beorn's home.
(determined from text-no text)
... There was no shortage of wonderful food, warm evenings in front of the huge fire in the hall, and a chance for three great story-tellers to share their tales. But Bilbo's longing for his own chair and fire at Bag End grew. He would spend long hours in the quiet room given to him by Beorn. This is where he began his first journal and he would write page upon page of his adventures since he left the Mountain, as well as many reflective moments of the Shire.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.