Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movie villain's death did you most look forward to?

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Mar 11, 4:56pm

Post #1 of 21 (1244 views)
Shortcut
What movie villain's death did you most look forward to? Can't Post

This is related to a poll asking about memorable death scenes. I decided NOT to do a poll because there's just too many good ones to even think about listing them all!Evil Annanel suggested Bellatrix LeStrange, which I agree with, but of course Voldemort was another good one. However, the first one that popped into my head was Jim Vance in the "Hatfields & McCoys" miniseries that came out in 2012. Played by Tom Berenger, he did an outstanding job & definitely deserved that Emmy. I mentioned the 1990s (what year?) version of "Last of the Mohicans" in the memorable death poll, and definitely include Wes Studi's Magua in the villain death category. I also liked Gary Oldman's villain in "Air Force One," grabbing the last parachute only to have Harrison Ford wrap it around his neck & kill him with it - brilliant!

But I have to say that Black Jack Randall's final demise in "Outlander" is probably the most anticipated villain comeuppance I've watched in years. In fact I re-watched the episode last night, just to be sure that it actually happened, LOL! And of course there's Gollum, Sauron, Saruman & Smaug - I'd probably go with Smaug's, as it was so visually well-done. But there's probably hundreds of others, so come on! Let's talk about villain deaths - the ones that make you clap & say "Finally!"

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 11, 6:18pm

Post #2 of 21 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Gotta say... [In reply to] Can't Post

..Alexander Godunov as "Karl" in "Die Hard." He came back to life like, what? - five times?Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mmak. But we got him!

(This post was edited by Attalus on Mar 11, 6:19pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 11, 8:25pm

Post #3 of 21 (1160 views)
Shortcut
If I may offer up a TV villain instead... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the 1970s/80s version of Prisoner: Joan 'the Freak' Ferguson. An out-andout villainous, poisonous, terrible woman in a position of power as a guard in a woman's prison who delighted in her power games. I was *so happy* when her character finally got what was coming to her!

...and then I realised my folly when the show became tame after her exit. I don't think it lasted too many series after she left.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Mar 11, 8:27pm

Post #4 of 21 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Guess it's called "Die Hard" for a reason, haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I considered adding Alan Rickman to my list, specifically for Hans Gruber and/or the Sherrif of Nottingham in that Kevin Costner version of "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." But I think I liked the characters a little too much to actually look forward to their demise - Alan's performance is the main reason I like that "Prince of Thieves" movie so much!

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 11, 8:39pm

Post #5 of 21 (1153 views)
Shortcut
the late Alan Rickman [In reply to] Can't Post

This is worth a smile (or lagh out loud!)

I actually liked him better than Robin Kevin: RIP, Alan, pancreatic CA is an awful way to die. Frownhttps://youtu.be/6ZhCCu-2gbw

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mmak. But we got him!

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 12, 1:21pm

Post #6 of 21 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Henry Fonda [In reply to] Can't Post

As Frank in Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

"Oh, bother," said Pooh, as he sensed Vader's presence.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 12, 3:20pm

Post #7 of 21 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but he didn't play the [In reply to] Can't Post

harmonica as well as Harmonica.. :)

. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 12, 5:06pm

Post #8 of 21 (1106 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

as noted, Bellatrix. Not just because she was even crueler than her lord (and how often is that t he case? Goering and Goebbels were worse than Hitler . . .), but the way she died was so satisfying: at the hands of Molly Weasley. DO NOT mess with a mother!

Hmm, there's the idea for my next movie blog post . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 12, 6:32pm

Post #9 of 21 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Darth Vader, from 77 to 83 [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't wait to see Luke stick his lightsaber right through that horrible evil man.

And then when he finally died, I was so sad.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 12, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 21 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Did you see Wes Studi at the Oscars this year? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mentioned the 1990s (what year?) version of The Last of the Mohicans in the memorable death poll, and definitely include Wes Studi's Magua in the villain death category.

Michael Mann's film came out in the fall of 1992. As noted here, I rank it fourth of the 75 films I saw that year. Shamefully, I think it received only one Oscar nomination (a technical category, which it won); Studi definitely deserved more honors for his performance.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 12, 9:21pm

Post #11 of 21 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Voldemort :{ // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 12, 9:30pm

Post #12 of 21 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Heh, [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw any of the HP movies after Dumbledore got 86'ed because my younger boy, (the EX-Harry Potter fan) wouldn't go. Me, I'm a Never-Was-A-Harry-P.- Fan. Couldn't get fast the first chapter of #!, whatever its name was. But at least it was better than GRRT's stuff. Pirate

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 12, 10:47pm

Post #13 of 21 (1060 views)
Shortcut
I like the books on cd [In reply to] Can't Post

Read by Jim Dale. As with LotR, the books are a lot better, imho... though I am also a fan of the movies.

The funny thing about Potter, my 47yo daughter LOVES LOVES LOVES the Harry Potter movies but "doesn't like fantasy films" like Lotr and Hobbit ;) She's a documentary fan.

I think she must ba adopted.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 13, 3:38pm

Post #14 of 21 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Geekiness skips a generation in your family. Aren't the g'kiddies geeky? WinkLaugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Belegdir
Lorien

Mar 13, 8:07pm

Post #15 of 21 (983 views)
Shortcut
Obadiah Hakeswill. [In reply to] Can't Post

A vile and odious character if there ever was one. The late Pete Postlethwaite portrayed him perfectly.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13, 10:43pm

Post #16 of 21 (945 views)
Shortcut
So True! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's happened at many levels. Fascinating to watch how it all develops. My g'daughter and I have felt like twins for a long time :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 15, 5:31am

Post #17 of 21 (852 views)
Shortcut
I agree that Studi is a fine actor [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 15, 6:10am

Post #18 of 21 (852 views)
Shortcut
Was he better than Gene, Jack, Al, David, and Jaye in 1992? [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked up the Best Supporting Actor nominees from the Oscars for that year. Once upon a time I would have known these from memory--is is sadder that I did or that I no longer do? They were:

Gene Hackman in Unforgiven
Jaye Davidson in The Crying Game
Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men
Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross
David Paymer in Mr. Saturday Night

(Hackman won.)

Not sure who I'd swap out from that list.

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 15, 4:26pm

Post #19 of 21 (830 views)
Shortcut
"Unforgiven" most Memorable Line [In reply to] Can't Post

Eastwood: "I've always been real good at killin',. I've killed men, I've women and I've killed children. And now, Little Billy, I'm gonna kill you."

Sorry, Gene, I would have gone with Jack Nicholson. "You can't handle the truth!" A friend of mine remarked feelingly that he would have liked to see Jack Nicholson punch Tom Cruise in the nose. But, with him, that is a given. Pirate

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 15, 11:59pm

Post #20 of 21 (793 views)
Shortcut
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." [In reply to] Can't Post

As for Nicholson, I read some critics at the time who felt he was inferior to Stephen Lang, who had played Col. Jessup on Broadway.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 11:02am

Post #21 of 21 (667 views)
Shortcut
Pans Labyrinth [In reply to] Can't Post

When a particularly nasty person was killed, it was gratifying, and the more so when he started a short speech before death about how he wanted his newborn child to remember him as a great hero, and someone told him, He wont even know your name!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.