Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A TORn board member has just won a couple Academy Awards

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 5:33am

Post #1 of 19 (907 views)
Shortcut
A TORn board member has just won a couple Academy Awards Can't Post

Congratulations to Guillermo del Toro on his Best Director and Best Picture wins.

How cool is this!?? Cool

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 5, 5:51am

Post #2 of 19 (821 views)
Shortcut
Very cool indeed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 5, 6:17am

Post #3 of 19 (836 views)
Shortcut
As much as I... [In reply to] Can't Post

...want to be stoic and insist that I don't care about the Oscars (and I don't! Tongue), this made me really happy. And it's really gratifying to see Guillermo's victory complete with The Shape of Water winning Best Picture as well. I didn't think it would go all the way. The Academy has been perfectly willing in the past (especially recently) to split Picture and Director and go with a more Academy-friendly choice for BP. I'm glad to see that wasn't the case here.

Two fantasy films have now won Best Picture. One directed by Peter Jackson, and one by Guillermo del Toro. That's absolutely splendid. Cool

P.S. My stoicism is also upended by Blade Runner 2049's two Oscar wins - for Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects! I can't lie, I'm super psyched about that! Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 5, 6:34am

Post #4 of 19 (828 views)
Shortcut
Would you like my autograph? [In reply to] Can't Post

My cousin worked on visual effects for Blade Runner. Cool

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 5, 6:36am

Post #5 of 19 (829 views)
Shortcut
Who wouldn't?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget your connection to BR, your autograph is major get regardless!

Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

squire
Half-elven

Mar 5, 6:46am

Post #6 of 19 (839 views)
Shortcut
Well, sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked 'The Shape of Water' very much, and am glad to see Del Toro win the top awards for it. I remember well his involvement with 'The Hobbit' project back when it was two films, mysteriously expanded from the assumed one film.
But GDT has not been a "board member" on TORn since about 2010 - eight years ago. He joined this group, I think, out of an honest but savvy sense of interest in 'The Hobbit's' fan base, knowing how TORn had influenced the development of Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. When he left 'The Hobbit', he left TORn. For all of his amenable personality and genuine geekiness, he was a "board member" primarily out of professional interest in a specific project of his. It seems dishonest to me for us to claim the director of 'The Shape of Water' as a "TORn board member".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 5, 6:46am

Post #7 of 19 (820 views)
Shortcut
Lol! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 9:03am

Post #8 of 19 (819 views)
Shortcut
Once a TORNado, always a TORNado ... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's still registered, you know! Cool Even though he hasn't posted since 2011.

Storm clouds

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5, 12:32pm

Post #9 of 19 (806 views)
Shortcut
So exciting! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for him and for everyone who contributed to this success :D To have another fantasy film get this award is awesome!

I also love it that a film Doug Jones (Hocus Pocus/Billy; Silver Surfer; Hellboy) was a major player in is also a part of this success. Like Andy Serkis' Gollum/Smeagol, these performances don't always get the acknowledgement they deserve.

*applauds GdT's Wins!*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 12:37pm

Post #10 of 19 (811 views)
Shortcut
And even though he hasn't posted... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's been reading the boards at times. Some of us have caught him in the "Who's Online" list. Smile

(Congrats, GDT!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 5, 2:21pm

Post #11 of 19 (787 views)
Shortcut
So happy for him!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many congratulations! I am so glad his particular artistry, his unique vision and talent found the perfect vehicle in this story. What a wonderful accomplishment!

Congratulations, GDT!!

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 5, 3:03pm

Post #12 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut
I always think . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

of anyone associated with the Tolkien family, the films, or TORn as "ours." As in Our Royd, Our Elijah, Our Guillermo . . .

I was on the board of a choir for six years. I'm not, now, but they are still "mine" and I am still "theirs."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 5, 3:06pm

Post #13 of 19 (779 views)
Shortcut
He is wonderful in "Star Trek: Discovery" [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite character on the show. Acting through another mask and doing so beautifully.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 5, 6:46pm

Post #14 of 19 (753 views)
Shortcut
GDT, whether or not you ever read this, [In reply to] Can't Post

heartfelt congrats!! And thank you, too, for pushing the door open a little wider for genre films being treated by the Academy as legitimate cinematic art. The best of fantasy is more than escapism. As you noted in your speech and as The Shape of Water beautifully illustrates, it is a parable on the human condition.

P.S. And with Coco’s wins, a special night for Mexico!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 5, 6:47pm

Post #15 of 19 (743 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Annabel // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5, 10:15pm

Post #16 of 19 (721 views)
Shortcut
*tig, tog* ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 6, 4:32am

Post #17 of 19 (682 views)
Shortcut
A brose by any other name? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7, 10:48am

Post #18 of 19 (571 views)
Shortcut
Your points are valid, but I wouldn’t use the word “dishonest” [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit I was being a bit sensational thanks to my being ecstatic when the movie won. But honestly, I just felt it cool that someone who used to post on these boards won an Oscar. And although he probably won’t, there’s nothing preventing him from stopping by to say “Hi” if he so desires. He still remains a member Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 10, 7:00pm

Post #19 of 19 (439 views)
Shortcut
I miss seeing him around the place, and [In reply to] Can't Post

around Toronto.

Congratulations GDT.

* waves hi to Earl * Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.