Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR Lunar Readalong, 1419 Rethe 10 ~ Astron 9 (and beyond?), including the destruction of the One Ring on Rethe 25!

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 4, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 18 (4590 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong, 1419 Rethe 10 ~ Astron 9 (and beyond?), including the destruction of the One Ring on Rethe 25! Can't Post

This post is a continuation of last week's post.

Usual Caveat: This is really not recommended for first-time readers, and as with most read-alongs, these posts will contain spoilers.

I'll be consolidating the links to my weekly Lunar Readalong posts here for a while, since I have a lot of posts on Page 1 of this forum now, but also since there will only be a few more descriptions of the moon in the story from now on.

This week's Readalong starts with "The Dawnless Day" (though I hope that's not really the case where you live Wink), Book VI starts later in the week, and it ends with "The Last Debate": the day after "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"!

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 4, 7:38pm

Post #2 of 18 (4571 views)
Shortcut
The moon before the Dawnless Day of 1419 Rethe 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo sees the moon escaping the creeping gloom of Mordor just before dawn on Rethe 10, and since it was 2 nights past full, then about an hour before dawn it would have been just past 1/2 way between its southern peak in the sky and setting in the west. I think this is the last description of the moon for the next 2 weeks, until the eve of the destruction of the One Ring.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 9, 3:55am

Post #3 of 18 (4187 views)
Shortcut
The moon over the Pelennor on 1419 Rethe 14/15 [In reply to] Can't Post

The moon's 3rd quarter was at 11 P.M. on Rethe 14, according to the 1942 moon phases. So it would have just started to rise when "the assault was loosed" on Minas Tirith around midnight.

Of course it wouldn't have been visible anyway, since the gloom of Mordor was still blocking it from view.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 10, 9:58pm

Post #4 of 18 (3981 views)
Shortcut
The moon over the Battle of the Pelennor Fields on 1419 Rethe 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3rd quarter moon would have set around noon on Rethe 15, which I think was already after Aragorn's fleet arrived at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Since the south-west wind started clearing away the gloom of Mordor that morning, then if anyone happened to look up above Minas Tirith between the time the rain cleared away and noon, they may have caught a glimpse of the 1/2 moon westering beyond Mindolluin.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 11, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut
This reading order is entertaining to me, but still not for first-time readers [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien gives a summary of events happening in the west at the start of Book VI, when Sam wakes outside Cirith Ungol after Frodo was captured, and it was highly entertaining to me to have just read those sections of the previous chapters when I read that overview :D

There are a few more places where Tolkien synchronizes events to previous chapters, such as Pippin seeing the same full moon as Frodo from Henneth Annun, and also Frodo seeing the sunset at the Cross-roads as Pippin sees the Prince of Dol Amroth ride into Minas Tirith. Also very entertaining to me to have just read those sections for myself on those days!

This also re-emphasizes the notion that this reading order is not for first-time readers, since Tolkien already helps you know when key events are happening at the same time.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 11, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 18 (3937 views)
Shortcut
The reading for the day of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields [In reply to] Can't Post

For anyone who hasn't done this reading order but is curious, the amount to read on the day of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields was second only to last week's reading on Rethe 5: the day of the parley with Saruman in Orthanc and when Pippin looks into palantír. Using the 1965 edition as reference, it was about 50 vs. 60 pages (or more if you read past the midnight cutoffs until the story gets to morning, as I've tended to do).

Since it was mostly action and dialog, it was still a pretty quick read, even for a slow reader like me ;)

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 11, 4:43pm

Post #7 of 18 (3935 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong, week of 1419 Rethe 17: The Black Gate Opens, The Land of Shadow, Mount Doom, The Steward and the King [In reply to] Can't Post

This week's Readalong post covers the "desperate journey" of Frodo and Sam from the Morgai to Mt. Doom at the same time as the The Host of the West marches from Minas Tirith to the Black Gate. And by the middle of the week we also catch up with Éowyn and Faramir recovering back in the City.

There are no descriptions of the moon this week, although the new moon is marked for Rethe 21 in Tolkien's chart according to the Reader's Companion (but just after midnight on the 22nd according to the 1942 moon phases, although the site I'm using might be reporting the time according to DST whereas Tolkien's almanac did not).

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 11, 4:50pm

Post #8 of 18 (3933 views)
Shortcut
1419 Rethe 17: The Battle of Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Appendix B lists "The Battle of Dale" on Rethe 17, so we may want to read the brief description of that battle in Appendix B today as well.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 13, 8:38pm

Post #9 of 18 (3883 views)
Shortcut
1419 Rethe 19: The moon over Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

When Sam was surveying the lay of the land around dawn on Rethe 19, after their near escape south of the Isenmouthe, he could have spotted a crescent moon in the south-east just above Mt. Doom, but it was surely obscured by the smoke still billowing out of the Mountain.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 17, 5:04pm

Post #10 of 18 (3602 views)
Shortcut
1419 Rethe 23: Frodo and Samwise cast away their arms and gear. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I know that such things happened, but I cannot see them. No taste of food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or flower, no image of moon or star are left to me.

Poor Frodo.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 18, 4:36pm

Post #11 of 18 (3559 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong, week of 1419 Rethe 24: the conclusion of 'The Black Gate Opens' and 'Mount Doom', plus 'The Field of Cormallen' and 'The Steward and the King' [In reply to] Can't Post

This week's Readalong has been posted!

Tomorrow we finally read about the destruction of the One Ring!
Followed by days that "were golden, and Spring and Summer joined and made revel together in the fields of Gondor."

Tonight, as "the Host camps in the Desolation of the Morannon", Tolkien describes a moon that is "four nights old" in the cloudless sky, but "there were smokes and fumes that rose out of the earth and the white crescent was shrouded in the mists of Mordor."

The new moon came more than a day later this year relative to the 1942 reckoning, so tonight's moon will be even younger and thinner. According to Stellarium, those in North America should be able to see a moon that is almost the same age and shape tomorrow night as the "four nights old" moon of 1942 Europe. Those in Europe will see a moon that is still slightly younger and smaller tomorrow night, and slightly older and larger the night of March 20th this year.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 19, 3:12pm

Post #12 of 18 (3467 views)
Shortcut
The waxing crescent moon of 1419 Rethe 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night, just after sunset, I got an awesome view of the waxing crescent moon next to Venus, and I hope I get another great view of the Moon again tonight :)

I think since Venus was probably near its peak orbit (i.e. its greatest eastern elongation) around the time of the Mirror of Galadriel scene, then it probably had moved to the other side of the Sun by the day of the destruction of the One Ring (Rethe 25). In other words, I'm guessing it went from being the Evening Star to being the Morning Star in that time span. So I got a view of the waxing crescent moon next to Venus that Middle-earth probably would have got earlier in the year of T.A. 3019 :)

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 20, 8:41pm

Post #13 of 18 (3340 views)
Shortcut
Shire 'March' 25 and the vernal equinox in our time [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if this has been pointed out before elsewhere, but if you reckon the Shire Calendar's New Year's Day from December 25th in a non-leap-year (as Tolkien did when aligning the moon phases of 1941-42 to the story), then Shire 'March' (Rethe) 25, the date of the destruction of the One Ring, would fall on March 20th in our calendar.

March 20th in our calendar is also the usual date of the vernal equinox in our time.

Murlo
Rivendell

Apr 1, 8:49pm

Post #14 of 18 (3105 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings Lunar Readalong: Grand Scheme [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not an April Fool's prank, though I wonder if this was a fool's errand:

Today I have published The Lord of the Rings Lunar Readalong: Grand Scheme to my Shire Reckoning project.

After today's reading (see below), there are no more specific mentions of the moon in the story for this year's Readalong. All that's left is a general mention of the moon near the very end of the story (more than 2 years from now by this year's schedule) on the way to the Grey Havens. Also, the story goes back to a linear, chronological order after Book VI Chapter 4, so I've consolidated all my work so far, plus figured out the "Lunar Readalong" schedule for the rest of the story, and published the results at the link above.

If anyone is following the Readalong this year, then today (1 day after the full moon), would be the date that "the Ring-bearers are honoured on the Field of Cormallen".

Although it works out that this event on S.R. 1419 Astron 8 falls on Easter in this year's schedule, it wouldn't have in Tolkien's original 1942 alignment, where Astron 8 fell on 1942 April 2 (which was a Thursday), and Easter in 1942 was on April 5. Also, for the 2021 alignment (which fits the moon phases, the solar year, and the weekdays better than this year's), this event will fall on Monday March 29 and Easter will be on April 4.

I'll probably continue making "Lunar Readalong" posts throughout this year, though I will probably stop including the page numbers and "Read until" passage snippets in my Reddit posts, since those are already published at the link above. So look for my next post around April 20th!

P.S. Bear with me as I figure out how to format the "Grand Scheme" table better with my site's styles.

Murlo
Rivendell

Apr 7, 9:50pm

Post #15 of 18 (3009 views)
Shortcut
"Grand Scheme" formatting fixed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
P.S. Bear with me as I figure out how to format the "Grand Scheme" table better with my site's styles.

Fixed now. Or I hope at least improved Sly

Murlo
Rivendell

Apr 20, 5:34pm

Post #16 of 18 (2729 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong for 1419 Astron 27-30: The Captains of the West depart the Field of Cormallen [In reply to] Can't Post

The Readalong for the next few days has been posted!

Now that I've posted the complete Lunar Readalong scheme, I'll be changing the format of these posts from now on. I won't bother posting page numbers, "Read until" snippets, or 2021 dates anymore, since those are already included in the grand scheme. Starting with this post, I'll only include the Shire date, the corresponding 2018 date, the Book and Chapter, and the event summary for those dates.

Today Frodo and the Captains of the West depart the Field of Cormallen. As mentioned in the last post, the moon is no longer described in the story (until the end of the Third Age), but the 1st quarter moon was on Astron 29 in S.R. 1419 / T.A. 3019 (and will also be in this year's schedule).

This is also the last of the "interlaced" readings, and the story goes back to a linear progression with the crowning of King Elessar.

Murlo
Rivendell

Apr 24, 4:38pm

Post #17 of 18 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Lunar Readalong for 1419 Thrimidge 1: The Crowning of King Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

The Readalong for Crowning of King Elessar has been posted!

2 days after the 1st quarter moon of "April" (i.e. Astron by Shire Reckoning), the Crowning of King Elessar occurred on "May 1" (i.e. Thrimidge 1 by Shire Reckoning), T.A. 3019 / S.R. 1419.

There was no moon in the sky for the Crowning, since it seems most of these events occurred in the morning, but the waxing gibbous moon wouldn't have risen until mid-afternoon.

I'll wait for the full moon for the reading about how "the glad days passed" and Faramir became Prince of Ithilien.

Once again I'll point out that the story goes back to a linear progression from here on (with the minor exception of the description of the flowering of the mallorn in the Party Field on Astron 6 next year coming before some dialog between Sam and Frodo in Rethe).

Murlo
Rivendell

Apr 29, 4:13pm

Post #18 of 18 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Lunar Readalong for the week of 1419 Thrimidge 6: Faramir becomes Prince of Ithilien, and "the glad days" of 'May' after the Crowning of King Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

This week we read about how Faramir became Prince of Ithilien, and how "the glad days passed" until Aragorn finds the sapling of the White Tree.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.