Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets key, unlocks door, shakes off umbrella and steps inside* Welcome to a Windy Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 4 2018, 10:09am

Post #51 of 72 (579 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of fanfare for those who want it, but just as many people could care less (as with any event, I suppose). There are plenty of us in the industry who don't care yet pay attention, since these things do affect careers, for better or worse.

Better get that videotape converted to digital, just in case!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 4 2018, 10:14am

Post #52 of 72 (583 views)
Shortcut
Hey there :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, my 2am TORn login timed up well with yours!

And I agree...the group intended it to just be a bathroom pit stop, but one hour turned into two and...yeah, we've both been there. Angelic

Thank you! Hope everyone's well in your neck of the woods. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2018, 10:19am

Post #53 of 72 (578 views)
Shortcut
You just have to know the right people. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Turns out donkey riders are in short supply, since they must be...well, short. Our kids' godmother has dabbled in ponies over the years, and lately has gotten into donkeys...one thing leads to another, and now Elanor and Eldarion the Younger get occasional lessons on donkeys with a friend of their godmother who happens to show donkeys and teach riding lessons (usually on ponies/horses, though!), and between them they usually get to ride at shows either their godmother's donkeys or a really nice donkey owned by the friend. Pretty funny, actually...my idea of nice is a tall, solidly-built hunter type of horse -- I find donkeys rather bemusing!

LOVE that story about the jumping cow! Hilarious. I totally sympathize. I wanted a horse so much as a kid that it hurt. Closest I could get was, for a house we lived in about 18 months, sitting in the 2-stall barn with 50 chickens and *imagining* horses in the stalls, and also setting up a course of jumps and making my dog go over them.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2018, 10:27am

Post #54 of 72 (582 views)
Shortcut
You're supposed to be asleep! [In reply to] Can't Post

As should I, actually...need to stop the dog barking first. We just got a new washing machine Friday evening, which apparently is inhabited by evil spirits. For the life of us we can't balance it, at all, so every time it spins, it goes massively off balance KA-KLUNKITY-KLUNKING around the floor, and it's so awful it sets the dog off in a massive barking fit. I've never had a washing machine that made a dog bark. I've been gritting my teeth this weekend, while Mr. Ro goes dashing for every spin cycle to sit on the dratted thing, and looking forward to calling the service center first thing in the morning!

LOL at your group trying to use B & N just as a pit stop -- *that's* a mission destined to fail! :-)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2018, 10:33am

Post #55 of 72 (577 views)
Shortcut
We got rather the opposite... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nowhere near the wind I was expecting, but a wretchedly copious deluge! I was relieved not to get the wind...high winds mean evacuating chicken coops to safe shelter at the house; the higher the predicted winds, the more birds I evacuate. I've done up to about 45 birds, which is a lot of trips to and from the paddock!

I think it's great that you keep the blackberrying tradition going! Those connections with childhood memories are special. And neat that you get winter pies from them -- normally, at least. Any chance there might be different spots near you with berries that fared a bit better?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 4 2018, 10:53am

Post #56 of 72 (575 views)
Shortcut
I should have gone to bed hours ago myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I stayed up working on a write-up for Middle-earth roleplaying: a group of Dwarves from the East that settled in the hills adjacent to the Sea of Rhun following the end of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. They mine the hills (that I've named the Emyn Rhovanion) and trade with the folk of Dorwinion and the remaining Northmen of East Rhovanion. I looked up Slavic names to reflect the Dwarves' eastern origins; now I need to determine what unique trait(s) might set these Dwarves apart from their western kin.

At some point I might also try placing East-elves in the wood on the north-east shore of the Sea of Rhun.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 4 2018, 11:09am

Post #57 of 72 (570 views)
Shortcut
There is a ramp [In reply to] Can't Post

in their garden, usually used for bikes, but their Dad was towing them over it on the sledge at speed (it's a flat garden so they have to be creative!) and they were flying off in all directions laughing their heads off and being jumped on by the dog (border collie) who wanted very much to join in. Happy times!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2018, 1:15pm

Post #58 of 72 (568 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not just the moving of so many birds... you're doing it in high winds and bad weather! *bows deeply* Gives a whole new meaning to fowl weather!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2018, 1:20pm

Post #59 of 72 (568 views)
Shortcut
This time of the year is such a tease [In reply to] Can't Post

These end-of-season storms are so cruel knowing the good weather is almost here. BE CAREFUL! My Baltimore family had a huge tree fall next to their new house. There's massive damage there, too.

Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2018, 1:28pm

Post #60 of 72 (570 views)
Shortcut
Did you know you had weather-controlling powers? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sounds like a really good day :D And *looks both ways* I haven't read those, either... though the Eyre films are some of my favs ;)

Happy Writing tonight! A good choice to stay off the roads during the party-time ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 4 2018, 2:56pm

Post #61 of 72 (565 views)
Shortcut
Snow shovels at the ready! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully the temperature is slowly starting to improve, plus the Siberian bitterly cold wind that really caused the problem is calming down too. We’ve had more snow so far this winter than for the past 8 years, 2010 also had a March snowfall that was a bit worse than this. This winter however we’ve had more on-off snow from December through to now, schools have had about 6 or 7 snow days in that time which really is unprecedented for here. For a change it’s been the powdery dry snow too causing large drifts particularly once you get out of town, the poor farmers are keeping a close eye on the sheep as lambing season starts soon too. It’s played havoc on travelling around, forward planning is key. Fingers crossed that the snow decides to stay away for a bit now! There seems to have been awful weather all around, hope it improves for everyone soon!

(This post was edited by Ciars on Mar 4 2018, 3:00pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2018, 5:58pm

Post #62 of 72 (557 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there's any hope of that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any chance there might be different spots near you with berries that fared a bit better?

The area around NP is the least-dry in Taranaki - down the coast is pretty bad. One of the spots I pick at is on the lower foothills of the mountain and if anywhere got rain, it's around there, but those vines were as dry as bone.

Who knew that climate change, collapsing Antarctic ice shelfs and a warming Tasman would affect my blackberrying?? Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2018, 6:00pm

Post #63 of 72 (561 views)
Shortcut
Here's one for you, Ro [In reply to] Can't Post

(and for many others around here, I suspect). Evil

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 4 2018, 10:23pm

Post #64 of 72 (542 views)
Shortcut
Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't read the former. Got scared off the Brontes by reading Wuthering Heights during a spell in the ER that I proposed to eniven by reading a bunch of books I had not read before. Spent the whole book wanting to kick Heathcliffe. Since then, I have queried many "reading men" and have not found one that liked WH. Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

squire
Half-elven

Mar 4 2018, 11:12pm

Post #65 of 72 (543 views)
Shortcut
You might enjoy this send-up of 'Wuthering Heights' [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Frazier, a witty New Yorker contributor, put this out in 1992. I came across it in his collection of short pieces, 'Coyote vs. Acme" (1996).

Artfully, artfully carved...

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 4 2018, 11:39pm

Post #66 of 72 (534 views)
Shortcut
Artful, indeed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

David Niven, in his memoirs (either The Moon's Balloon or Bring On the Empty Horses. I'm afraid they rather run together in my mind) tells a tale of the filming of the 1939 version. Merle Oberon, playing Cathy, was acting the dying scene in the usual way, surrounded by lace and pillows, kept screwing up her lines, and dreadful bad ones they must have been. The way that the special effects department, such as it was, created tears was to drip a mixture of saline and glycerin into the eyes so that they could properly overflow on cue and drip slowly down the face (hence the glycerin). Well, they overlooked the tear ducts, which transport excess tears into the nasal cavity. As David N. bent over the prostrate Merle for the umteenth time, enough had collected to slide out of D.N.'s nose onto Merle;s face, creating considerable consternation, Hee hee. Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2018, 12:58am

Post #67 of 72 (532 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Cathy died, but not seriously." I found Wuthering Heights overblown and tedious. I much prefer Jane Eyre.

My favorite version of Wuthering Heights is this one:

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 5 2018, 1:43am

Post #68 of 72 (522 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I LOL'ed Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 5 2018, 8:10pm

Post #69 of 72 (512 views)
Shortcut
Are you at all musically inclined? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like this dude?

TongueCoolLaugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2018, 9:33pm

Post #70 of 72 (486 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaha!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear Eru, that gave me a much-needed morning laugh!!! Who knew that a washing machine could be the perfect accompaniment for AC/DC? That...is...hilarious.

So we got a new, new washing machine yesterday. Turns out the old new one may have been doing the klunkity-klunking because Mr Ro forgot to remove the strapping used for shipping from the underside when he set it up...oops.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2018, 9:36pm

Post #71 of 72 (484 views)
Shortcut
I'd fail. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! I love it.

I might point out that the book gene is clearly genetic, and I inherited it from both parents. My mom started a new job a couple of years ago, as the director of a small but vibrant library. In her case, it's like putting an alcoholic in charge of a liquor store.

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 11 2018, 7:59pm

Post #72 of 72 (435 views)
Shortcut
Very belated thanks :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.