Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR Lunar Readalong, week of 1419 Rethe 3: Book III Chapters 7 - 11, Book IV Chapters 2 - 7, Book V Chapters 1 - 3

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 25 2018, 6:39pm

Post #1 of 7 (2077 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong, week of 1419 Rethe 3: Book III Chapters 7 - 11, Book IV Chapters 2 - 7, Book V Chapters 1 - 3 Can't Post

This post is a continuation of last week's post. Usual Caveat: This is really not recommended for first-time readers, and as with most read-alongs, these posts will contain spoilers.

This week's Readalong post is a little later than usual, since I was up kind of late last night reading about Treebeard's "business... with rock and stone" Wink

This week's Readalong doesn't have quite as many descriptions of the moon as last week's Readalong, but there is still at least 1 description for each day this week.

This week's Readalong also includes the full moon of Rethe 8, which is not only described when Gandalf and Pippin see it rise on the way to Gondor (the evening of Rethe 7), and when Frodo and Faramir watch it set from the Window on the West (before dawn on Rethe 8), but it's also what Théoden uses as a timeline for the Muster of Rohan (on the 3rd day after the full moon).

This week also appears to cram almost half of Book III, from Chapter 8 to almost the end of Chapter 11, all into 1 day. I think that's going to be longest reading in 1 day so far, and probably the longest there will be; even more pages than the date for "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields" next week.

But before all that we start the week off with the Battle of the Hornburg!
This week covers the rest of Book III from "Helm's Deep" through "The Palantír", Book IV up to "Journey to the Cross-Roads", and we'll also start The Return of the King up to the beginning of "The Muster of Rohan" chapter.

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 26 2018, 11:32pm

Post #2 of 7 (2044 views)
Shortcut
The waxing gibbous moon setting over the Battle of Helm's Deep and the flooding Isengard [In reply to] Can't Post

If you wanted to see the waxing gibbous moon set last night, as it set over the Battle of Helm's Deep, and as Merry and Pippin saw it setting over the flooding Isengard, you had to stay up pretty late, since it set around 3 A.M.

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 28 2018, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 7 (1970 views)
Shortcut
On the Road to Isengard before dawn on Rethe 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

It must have been only a couple of hours before dawn on Rethe 5 when the Huorns passed Théoden's camp on the Road to Isengard in the night, since "the moon was gone" but "stars were shining above". Implying the moon had already set and wasn't just covered by clouds. So although the Riders didn't sleep the rest of the night after that, they didn't have to wait too long for the dawn at least Wink

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 28 2018, 9:38pm

Post #4 of 7 (1968 views)
Shortcut
The moon over Dol Baran [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before midnight on Rethe 5, the moon would have been just past its highest peak in the southern sky, making its way west, when Pippin looked into the palantír by Dol Baran, and then the Nazgûl flew across the moon on its way to Isengard.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 1 2018, 6:57am

Post #5 of 7 (1959 views)
Shortcut
A lot to read on Rethe 5... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This week also appears to cram almost half of Book III, from Chapter 8 to almost the end of Chapter 11, all into 1 day.

I forgot that these chapters were mainly dialog (and it's more like 1/4 of Book III), so it was less daunting that I was anticipating Wink

It was still quite the challenge for a slow reader like me... Laugh

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 4 2018, 6:36pm

Post #6 of 7 (1877 views)
Shortcut
The full moon of 1419 Rethe 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice seeing the full moon setting just before dawn, right before reading Frodo's scene in Henneth Annûn before dawn on Rethe 8.

Tolkien provides wonderful descriptions of the moon shining through the falls, but having the personal experience to immediately compare to the text really enhanced it for me.

Especially since, living in the city, I forget just how brilliant the full moon can be.

Murlo
Rivendell

Mar 4 2018, 6:42pm

Post #7 of 7 (1877 views)
Shortcut
The moon over the Hill of Erech, the night of 1419 Rethe 8/9? [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed there was no description of the moon over Aragon on the way to the Stone of Erech from the 'Paths of the Dead'.

Since it was only the next night after the full moon, it would have been round and bright, rising before the "King of the Dead" and his "Shadow Host" on the way to the Hill of Erech, but they reach it "in a darkness as black as the caverns in the mountains" just before midnight when the moon would have almost reached its peak in the southern sky. This was the night before the darkness started flowing out of Mordor, so I guess it was just overcast in that area :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.