Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A question for our Kiwi crowd

squire
Half-elven

Feb 19, 1:45am

Post #1 of 4 (361 views)
Shortcut
A question for our Kiwi crowd Can't Post

I was reading a fan article by a Midlands English woman who relocated to Australia and then New Zealand, and I noticed she constantly omitted the comma after the province of NZ where the Jackson films were shot: she always wrote about "Aotearoa New Zealand", instead of "Aotearoa, New Zealand".

But then I began to suspect it was me, not her (don't laugh, please), and looked it up. I found that the first word is the Maori (or a Maori) term for the North Island, now often enough used for the whole country - by some.

This is the first time I've encountered this, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new thing. My question is: How common is this usage? Is NZ going to change its official name in this manner?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 19, 3:00am

Post #2 of 4 (345 views)
Shortcut
Kind of. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But then I began to suspect it was me, not her (don't laugh, please), and looked it up. I found that the first word is the Maori (or a Maori) term for the North Island, now often enough used for the whole country - by some. ?

While Aotearoa (Land of the Long White Cloud) is an alternative name for the North Island it was never widely used in that way. In practice, it's the Maori name for all of NZ. Kupe, the first Polynesian explorer to find these islands, is occasionally attributed with coining the name: it's said that he saw a long line of cloud in the distance and thought there must be land beneath it.

After consulting with tribes back in 2013, Land Information New Zealand confirmed the following official Maori names for the North and South islands:
* Te Ika a Maui (the fish of Maui) for the North Island.
* Te Wai Pounamu (the waters of greenstone) for the South Island.

Note that people can use either name, Maori or English. Same goes for Aotearoa or New Zealand.

Alternative names also considered by LINZ and the tribes are near the bottom of this webpage:
https://www.linz.govt.nz/...and-and-south-island

You'll see that one of the possible names for the South Island is Te Waka-a-Maui (the canoe of Maui), referencing the tale of how Maui fished up the North Island from his canoe:
http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/...i-and-the-giant-fish

As for calling it 'Aotearoa New Zealand' (no comma), that's a frequent style for using both Maori and Engish names for public places, e.g. Rotokare Barrett's Domain, Aoraki Mount Cook. That format isn't regularly used for the country's name but I do see it occasionally. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 19, 3:03am)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 19, 7:01am

Post #3 of 4 (332 views)
Shortcut
I use [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ / Aotearoa pretty interchangeably, as do a lot of people I know.
The use of Aotearoa (meaning NZ) has been around for ages, but it is much more mainstream in the Pakeha world now, not just among Maori. But how often it is used would depend on the circles you move in.
But there are still plenty of stick in the mud people around who don't seem able to cope. A facebook page I am on which is for people to post and reminisce about their school days had a member threaten to leave because the page was called 'Aotearoa Old Friends'. One or two agreed with him, and the rest of us said 'Don't let the door hit you on the way out...'

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 19, 8:34am

Post #4 of 4 (324 views)
Shortcut
The best way to handle It, in my opinion. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... the rest of us said 'Don't let the door hit you on the way out...'

One local councillor recently objected to the Maori name appearing first in dual-language titles. Such small-mindedness is par for the course from him, unfortunately.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.