*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2018, 11:33pm

Post #26 of 40 (879 views)
Shortcut
Can the Amazon drones do intercontinental delivery? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the folks at McMurdo station could pack a few boxes of snow to fly over...? Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2018, 11:42pm

Post #27 of 40 (877 views)
Shortcut
Well, that certainly describes a Fell Beast... [In reply to] Can't Post

"...her bad breath scorched my eyebrows!" Poor FeBe. Cats do NOT like to travel to the vet, I'm glad you were able to finally get her there. She'll feel so much better, after the tooth cleaning.

I assume, she's not a mouser! Our doppleganger ("Midnight" she was called, by the folks at the rescue home) fortunately is, and nicely leaves the remains on the cellar floor. (But she can't get at the ones we hear scurrying in the walls!)

Oh yeah, possums do "freeze", I've seen them do that on fences and stepladders. LOL, he couldn't resist the aroma of food! That was a good, easy catch, and hopefully he'll have learned to stay away!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2018, 11:47pm

Post #28 of 40 (883 views)
Shortcut
Something sweet to try to combat the bugs? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a downer. I've been hearing more and more about multiple bugs hitting everyone - just as one is nearly gone, another takes its place.

Keep yourself warm and rested, and maybe that's why the chicken broth showed up...what was the book supposed to be? A cookbook?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2018, 11:48pm

Post #29 of 40 (879 views)
Shortcut
Dandelion fork? [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep the leaves once you've uprooted them, they make great salads!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2018, 11:59pm

Post #30 of 40 (878 views)
Shortcut
That's being thorough. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they show you the pics of the back of your eyes? I'm "pre-glaucomic" (hereditary) and used to the routine. But once you reach a certain age, they're on the lookout for any signs of it.

That's an awfully long time to wait for a muffler/tailpipe job, it's good that you didn't have to stay in the customer waiting room. Tongue

Found on Twitter: "Two actors in Black Panther are Martin Freeman who was Bilbo Baggins and Andy Serkis who was Gollum. They're the Tolkien white guys."

That's got to be the worst Tolkien "joke" ever.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 18 2018, 3:35am)

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 18 2018, 12:16am

Post #31 of 40 (875 views)
Shortcut
Okay.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll make that point to The Girl Who Is Going To Use It. Angelic She likes salads.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 18 2018, 6:00am

Post #32 of 40 (870 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night was horrid. Had to sleep upright in a chair to keep from drowning in my own phlegm. I breathe and my chest sounds like a wok frying frozen chicken.

Wifey's glad of the chicken broth mistake. She says the locals stores stopped carrying it and she was worried how to restock.

The book is an English translation of Norbert Ohler's Reisen im Mittelalter ("Traveling in the Middle Ages", aka "The Medieval Traveler".)

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2018, 12:45am

Post #33 of 40 (803 views)
Shortcut
Blegh. [In reply to] Can't Post

My utter sympathies, I've had nights like that...Tongue Hope it was the worst night, & gets better from here!

That's odd about the product switch. Did the email confirmation state the book, but the packing slip state the broth? Did you re-order the book (looked it up - looks very interesting!)?

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19 2018, 3:31am

Post #34 of 40 (796 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much better today, but still miserable.

The book came the day after the soup. So somehow I've ended up with both.

The book is really fascinating so far. The first half is general historical overviews of travel, the second half is examinations of several contemporary accounts. Wonderful!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2018, 6:05am

Post #35 of 40 (791 views)
Shortcut
Late to the party [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent the weekend at Katsucon, which is an anime convention in National Harbor, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC. I've been attending cons for about six years now but this was my first time at this one. It was a really fun time as cons always are for me even when there's bumps along the way. There was a good number of panels that I found interesting and I like getting to watch anime with other people in the screening rooms as a change of pace from watching by myself on my laptop. Unfortunately the event space isn't really being big enough to comfortably fit 20,000 attendees and the food situation was even worse than usual for convention centers, but those annoyances are already fading away while the pleasant memories stand out the more.

Actually, difficulty moving around in crowded walkways aside, my main reason for wanting to attend Katsucon (aside from the fact that it's the second-largest anime con in my area and I've wanted to attend more than one convention per year for a while now) was that the hotel its hosted in has always looked gorgeous in photos. Its most distinctive feature is the massive enclosed atrium; this is what it looks like from ground level. The block rate rooms overlooking it sold out about five minutes after online registration opened but I was able to get a nice one on the 12th floor; this was the view from my balcony. Its mostly empty because I took the picture on Thursday night, before the con officially began, but it was packed to the gills for most of the weekend.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 19 2018, 6:48pm

Post #36 of 40 (768 views)
Shortcut
Tyler Con [In reply to] Can't Post

We went to the East Texas Rose Comic Con this October. Fun, and not as crowded as the one you describe. Susie cosplayed (is that right?) as Hera Sendulla, but I just wore my old, tattered wizard robe and a skullcap. Funny thing, everybody was asking for pictures of her, but nobody wanted me in them Unsure

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2018, 10:51pm

Post #37 of 40 (746 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like so much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

My granddaughter is a huge anime fan and artist. The cosplay is always so incredible!

In the summer of 2015, she put together this costume for her favourite character at the time for the Otakon Convention in Baltimore. We worked on it for almost a year. Lots of requests for photos!

Attack of the Titans - Levi

Do you like to do cosplay? The crowds are definitely a challenge... especially if you're trying to get to a popular booth. LOVE the hotel! CONGRATS! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2018, 2:15am

Post #38 of 40 (733 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a fantastic cosplay! :D Otakon is actually my "home" convention, though it's a little further of a trip since they moved from Baltimore to DC last year (the larger space definitely helps, though). I've been going since 2012 and it's always a blast. My sister and I went in cosplay for the first two years and it was definitely a fun experience. I get really self-conscious a lot of the time but I was (relatively) more relaxed in costume than I thought I would be, lol.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2018, 12:51pm

Post #39 of 40 (687 views)
Shortcut
Hiding out in the open ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrities who love going to conventions will go in costume so they can enjoy without distractions.

COSTUMES ARE FREEDOM... and lots of fun :D *high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2018, 2:52pm

Post #40 of 40 (682 views)
Shortcut
I've stayed at that hotel several times [In reply to] Can't Post

for work conferences. It's beautiful, and the shopping/restaurant district around it is really nice. I usually have to spend my days in the convention center meeting rooms, so it's nice to get out and walk around in the evenings.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.