A bit morbid 'praps - but what's the best, Can't Post

or most moving, movie death scene. Pirate

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Feb 16 2018, 8:42pm

Post #2 of 34 (7641 views)
Shortcut
Darn :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

I put my vote in before I noticed the 'other' option. I should have chosen that, and then nominated James Caan in 'Brian's Song'. Man, I cried like a baby over that one. Unsure

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 16 2018, 11:01pm

Post #3 of 34 (7617 views)
Shortcut
#1 - Ruth in "Fried Green Tomatoes". [In reply to] Can't Post

Friendship, love, real life, gone quietly.
https://www.youtube.com/...ngLrgf2N8&t=107s

#2 - Roy in "Bladerunner". Tears in rain. Memories.

Thorin Oakenshield and his little friend were pretty darned good, too.

See, it's those last quiet moments I appreciate.

And now, BG, after all this sharing, I'm going back to my pot of tea, my re-re-read of "The Princess Bride" and then, I think, a quiet walk in the woods. (phew) But thanks for the reminder to remember. Evil

Salud!

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 17 2018, 3:16am

Post #4 of 34 (7594 views)
Shortcut
Lucy Burrows in "Broken Blossoms" (1919) [In reply to] Can't Post

Horrific. Heartbreaking.

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 17 2018, 4:27am

Post #5 of 34 (7587 views)
Shortcut
Renée Jeanne Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc [In reply to] Can't Post

Her eyes still haunt me.

Honorable mention: Emmanuelle Rive in Amour. Slow yet emotionally gutting.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 17 2018, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 34 (7546 views)
Shortcut
Looks like I’ve got company -- Who dat? [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve chosen “Lonesome Dove” too.

Here’s two hardened (and middle-aged) Texas Rangers: Robert Duval (Capt. McRae) & Tommy Lee Jones (Capt. Call). They are constantly carping and digging at one another. But we know they love each other (platonically), and each would quickly give his life for the other. When we truly read between the lines we understand their relationship, and Jones’ reaction, at the death of Duval in Miles City is heartbreaking, and … gets my vote.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 17 2018, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 34 (7539 views)
Shortcut
YES! Me too... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I put my vote in before I noticed the 'other' option. I should have chosen that, and then nominated James Caan in 'Brian's Song'. Man, I cried like a baby over that one. Unsure

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 18 2018, 1:25am

Post #8 of 34 (7484 views)
Shortcut
Psychologically speaking... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard it theorized, and have also heard that Larry McMurtry agrees with this analysis, is that Call, Gus, and Jake Spoon were all parts of a healthy psyche. Call, of course, is the Superego, trying to direct right actions no matter what the cost. His third-person internal monologue on early rising has been repeated by me, equally internally, many times. Gus is the Ego, seeking pleasure (i.e., tension reduction) and avoiding pain, but unlike the id, the ego is concerned with devising a realistic strategy to obtain pleasure. The ego has no concept of right or wrong; something is good simply if it achieves its end of satisfying without causing harm to itself.

Jake Spoon, of course, is the Id, the primitive and instinctive component of personality. It consists of all the inherited (i.e., biological) components of personality present at birth, including the sex (life) instinct – Eros (which contains the libido), and the aggressive (death) instinct - Thanatos.

When Jake, the Id, is executed by the boys, it disturbs their connection to basic instincts. Neither Gus nor Call is able to form a stable relationship, though both Lorie and Clara are available. When Gus dies, it leaves Call, the Superego, a confused and disoriented man. Thus the critics, or at least some of them. I actually agree with most of that. So, I guess, though I love Gus' character, and Robert Duvall does a superb job playing him in the mini-series, I really don't regard it as a tragedy like Boromir/Sean's death.My 2 cents, anyway.

Pirate

edit: spelling

(This post was edited by Attalus on Feb 18 2018, 1:28am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 18 2018, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 34 (7431 views)
Shortcut
The psych theory [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for this most interesting analysis. Yes it does make some philosophical sense. But up front I will stay with my choosing the moving death of Gus over the tragic death of Boromir, as we know Gus to a fair-thee-well upon his death, but Boromir is not nearly as developed a character. The actual shooting of the two scenes is so well done, yet as much as I love Tolkien the scene in Miles City never fails to bring a tear, as I see a much closer relationship between Call and Gus than perhaps the average person might detect, and Call’s reaction is so superb: “Aw, go ahead and die. What do I care.” And then the simple word “Augustus” with the hand softly on the forehead can’t fail to move.

But, I had never before thought of Call, McCrea, and Spoon as a trio. Spoon had been out doing his carousing for ten years when the show begins, whereas Gus & Call had never parted. Couldn’t we almost say that Deets might be the Id in your analysis, as he was a constant with the group? And it is quite clear that Call and Gus are and were of a higher status in the Rangers than Spoon. Spoon was a follower (the cause of his demise) whereas both Call and Gus were leaders.

As for the Superego and Ego I see these only loosely. Call spends his mornings bucking broncos or bossing the boys. Gus spends his mornings baking biscuits, reading the Bible, and then having a drink. Call spends his evenings sitting alone by the river cleaning his rifle. Gus spends his evenings drinking and telling tales to the boys. Who is really accomplishing anything of significance? But, yes, if we have to choose then Call is the Superego. But I contend that is so only because Gus allows it when it suits him: “You don’t boss me Woodrow. I’m the one man you don’t boss.” It’s quite clear that Gus (the ego) considers himself equal to Call (the superego) but is happy to play second fiddle quite often, as his ego is not wounded in doing so. A sign of self-assurance. This equality is shared by Call in many ways.

In defense of Call I don’t see him as a “confused and disoriented man” after the death of Gus. Quite the opposite. He is quite non-hesitant, has a promise to keep, a ranch to run, and goes about all these tasks with aforethought. Yes, a man of few words, but when he speaks you know it will happen: “I’ll be back in the spring.” Undertaker: “Yes, I believe you will.”
Cheers. My penny’s worth.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 18 2018, 6:46pm

Post #10 of 34 (7419 views)
Shortcut
Deets? Naw [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, Deets is closer to the superego if that analogy is continued (stretching it considerably) "No, sir, these pants gotta last.". As for Call at the end, he is returning to a ranch without hands (or stock) or much of a future. Going through the motions, as it were. You have to understand that I am going by the book, which I have read at least five times.

And I would have to say that I mourned for Deets a lot more than I did for Gus. "Damn, Woodrow, it's been a party." He's had his fun. Pirate

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 19 2018, 7:12pm

Post #11 of 34 (7326 views)
Shortcut
You’re probably right about Deets. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie is fresher in my mind than the book. I’ve read it 3-4 times, but it’s been a while. And we are, or the subject IS “movie deaths”. And I’ve been basing my comments on same.

Seldom does a movie from a book live up to expectations. LOTR, of course, comes to mind. I literally read the books dozens of times before the movies came out. Although very well done I could never really get into the movies (as most here on TORn) as the inaccuracies, additions, etc. were almost a sacrilege to me.
Not so with Lonesome Dove. The movies, to me, meet and nearly surpass the book. And rereading the passages we’re talking about I see a quite accurate movie portrayal. But the film (in this case) has a quality that (to me) surpasses the book in many ways, most especially the death of Gus.

I threw Deets in there (knowing it would draw a comment Wink). Yes, Deets’ death is very moving and unexpected: Call: “We should have shot that boy.” Gus: “I don’t wanna think of what we should have done for this good man.” [paraphrasing]. I could have/should have mentioned Pea Eye also. I think my point was just to bring up the fact that Deets was an ongoing part of the Hat Creek Cattle Co. Whereas Jake was not a member. (Attempting to disassociate him from your trio.)

As for Call returning to a ranch “without hands (or stock) or much of a future”, I’m not sure what you mean here. The herd and the boys haven’t gone anywhere. Yes, Call is morose as he has lost a trio of his closest: Gus, Deets, and Jake. But he has a future such as it is, running a ranch and keeping a promise.

Your interesting quote by Deets, “Damn, Woodrow, it’s been a party.” is nearly identical to Gus’ last words to Call in the movie and nearly his last words in the book…
Interesting discussion ….Smile

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 19 2018, 8:12pm

Post #12 of 34 (7317 views)
Shortcut
Well, the dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

...is mostly straight out of the book, and Larry McMurtry is an author with a gift for snappy dialogue. Wink I wish that PJ had been similarly reverent to JRRT. Brego the horse, indeed. Mad

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 19 2018, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 34 (7311 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the dialogue is masterful [In reply to] Can't Post

by a great wordsmith.

As an aside on how I found out about Lonesome Dove.
Years ago I was on an airplane (going somewhere?), and a fellow across the aisle from me had a book. He said he just couldn’t get into it and asked if I would like to give it a try. “Yes, of course.” It was Lonesome Dove and I was immediately hooked.

Different strokes for . . . Shocked

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 22 2018, 5:25pm

Post #14 of 34 (7110 views)
Shortcut
"Augustus." [In reply to] Can't Post

Gets me every time.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 22 2018, 10:52pm

Post #15 of 34 (7084 views)
Shortcut
I missed a very important one!!! Edward G. Robinson (Sol) in “Soylent Green”. [In reply to] Can't Post

His death is moving in several ways: This is Robinson’s last film. He dies (in real life soon after completing this film). He is near stone-deaf and his “vision” of the wonders of yesterday in the movie is added in later. Thus, as he lays comfortably on the gurney he hears nothing of “Morning” (I think) by Grieg and he sees none of the beautiful cineramic portrayals of Earth’s animals, countryside, flowers, skies, etc., yet his facial expressions of poignant wonder are classic Robinson acting.

Heston’s tears during this scene are real and not forced, knowing (somehow) that Robinson has not long to live (in real life AND in the film).

Sol: “I love you Thorn.” Thorn (Charlton Heston): “I love you too Sol.”

It's said that Robinson's wife would bring him lunch everyday during shooting, but that she could never hang around for this death scene. Just too hard for her. . .

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 23 2018, 8:48pm

Post #16 of 34 (7027 views)
Shortcut
Certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

...an improvement over his death scene in the original "Scarface": "Is this the end of Rico?"

OTOH, Jimmy Cagney's death scene is better in "The Roaring Twenties," Gladys George's epitaph for him is affecting: "He used to be somebody."

Some people prefer the ending of "White Heat." "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

Annael
Immortal

Feb 24 2018, 5:15am

Post #17 of 34 (6991 views)
Shortcut
Crais and Talyn in "Farscape" [In reply to] Can't Post

chills

Annael
Immortal

Feb 24 2018, 5:18am

Post #18 of 34 (6989 views)
Shortcut
second: Roy Batty in "Blade Runner" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 24 2018, 7:33pm

Post #19 of 34 (6943 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was strange how much sympathy one could all of a sudden develop for the villain of the piece. It's called the "Tears in Rain Speech" and has an article to itself on Wiki: Rutger Hauer himself adapted the script the night before.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 24 2018, 8:28pm

Post #20 of 34 (6937 views)
Shortcut
Just this week someone I've known a while but not not well said, "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion." [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised because he seemed much too young to roll that phrase out spontaneously, but he is a film buff, with the correct sensibilities. Smile Now we share another bond across generations.Evil

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2018, 12:42pm

Post #21 of 34 (6720 views)
Shortcut
Lefty on Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor, poor Lefty

Gotta love Paul Reubens! :D

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 28 2018, 12:44pm)

Attalus
Lorien

Mar 1 2018, 3:14am

Post #22 of 34 (6684 views)
Shortcut
How about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...John Wayne's death in "Sands of Iwo Jima?" I cried when I was a kid Unsure

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2018, 3:53am

Post #23 of 34 (6677 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... Not the Duke! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cried, too. I can't watch films where he dies. *sniffle*

*reaches for McClintock & Quiet Man*

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 1 2018, 10:55pm

Post #24 of 34 (6612 views)
Shortcut
NOOOoooo !! John Wayne LIVES ! It was just a movie... Wadn't it ?? / [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 2 2018, 1:19pm

Post #25 of 34 (6558 views)
Shortcut
*pats shoulder* Yes :D You're absolutely right! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.