Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "I'm having an old friend for dinner..."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 14, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 8 (451 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "I'm having an old friend for dinner..." Can't Post

Technically, I haven't watched it yet, but I picked up the gorgeous new Criterion Collection release of The Silence of the Lambs yesterday. I've been enjoying the abundance of special features, and am planning on viewing the film this evening. Based on my glimpses so far, the transfer looks absolutely stunning - the best the film's ever looked.

I also rewatched my Blade Runner 2049 Blu-ray a couple days ago, and continue to be utterly blown away by the film.

Following the unfortunate passing of actor John Mahoney, I started watching reruns of Fraiser earlier this week, and am currently working my way through the first season. He was so wonderful in the show, which remains one of my favorites. Heart

What have you been watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Feb 14, 10:58pm

Post #2 of 8 (404 views)
Shortcut
My husband playing Zelda [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, he's monopolizing the TV with "Breath of the Wild." Not that I mind so much, 'cause there's not much on TV right now, but hopefully he'll be done with it by the time "Preacher" starts back up.
I was hoping to see "Winchester" in the theaters, maybe I'll make it this weekend. Of course, "Black Panther" will be out, but I'll probably catch it next weekend, as I understand the crowds will be HUGE! My next Netflix movie will be "Marshall," about the Supreme Ct Justice as a young man, also played by Chadwick Boseman. Last weekend I did get Ron off the TV long enough to watch "Wind River," which is terribly disturbing, and yet very well done. That's the second movie I've seen Jeremy Renner in where I couldn't say it was a "good movie" because of the subject matter, the first being "Hurt Locker." Anyway, "Wind River" is a murder mystery set on an Indian Reservation in Wyoming, during the dead of winter. There was some graphic detail about how a person's lungs can freeze in that kind of weather, so it's definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Graham Greene is once again playing a Reservation police officer, but unlike "Longmire" he's a good guy in this one. I'll give you a report on "Winchester" if I manage to see it this weekend.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 14, 11:38pm

Post #3 of 8 (398 views)
Shortcut
Watching? [In reply to] Can't Post

My gf is coming over, so we will be watching "Angel" and"Buffy," as usual. Me, I don't watch TV and I don't see any movies I want to see in the near future. Not till "Dunkirk" is on DVD.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 15, 5:39pm

Post #4 of 8 (338 views)
Shortcut
"Duel" starring Dennis Weaver - Very complex plot though . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What have you been watching?

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 15, 11:50pm

Post #5 of 8 (312 views)
Shortcut
Love "Duel" [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think that was Stephen Spielberg's first movie. Close, anyway

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 16, 11:32am

Post #6 of 8 (275 views)
Shortcut
Love it, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right on it being Spielberg's first :D When I first saw it on tv as a youngster, I remember it terrifying me with suspense! That... and Hitchocks The Birds! *shiver* Speilberg said his movie Jaws is Duel in water ;)

Even now when I see a big ol' nasty 18-wheeler truck on the road, I get gone as soon as I can! :o

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 16, 5:51pm

Post #7 of 8 (255 views)
Shortcut
And a fine job he did [In reply to] Can't Post

Making something suspenseful out of practically no plot.

In Reply To
You're right on it being Spielberg's first :D [Duel] …
Speilberg said his movie Jaws is Duel in water ;)

Weaver was excellent as a somewhat cowardly man, and a terrible driver :.
Good comparison: Jaws IS Duel on steroids.

I’ve always enjoyed the work of Rod Taylor, and who couldn’t love Tippi Hedren Heart (but I’m a guy, don’t ya see).

Geez, how’d I miss Suzanne Pleshette’s death over on “Pollantir”?

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Feb 17, 1:46am

Post #8 of 8 (221 views)
Shortcut
Loved Duel// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.