Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets key, unlocks door* Brrr...come on inside, it's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 11, 6:11pm

Post #51 of 64 (481 views)
Shortcut
He lasted the full two hours and then some. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He was surprised to find out he was 90 as he thought he was 86. I had wondered if writing '90' on his birthday card would throw him but he handled it well (he has dementia), and he lit up while talking with his adult grandchildren. It was great to see. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Valinor

Feb 11, 8:07pm

Post #52 of 64 (469 views)
Shortcut
Academy Museum [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of their primary goals is to be the hub of Hollywood iconography (think Ruby Slippers, etc.) with as many costumes, props and set designs pieces as they can fit inside. They're also planning temporary exhibits (which they made us swear not to reveal), which I *can* say will champion a lot of treasured movies in really cool ways. So they'll be telling the history of film (primarily Hollywood) while also engaging with more contemporary work by partnering with studios/filmmakers to create other temporary exhibits. I know it's vague, but hopefully they'll make announcements soon! Supposed to open sometime next year.

Yup, a yummy vegan pizza it was! I almost went for their pizza of the month, which was called the Booberry Pizza: blueberries, carmelized onions, goat cheese & mozzarella (easily replaceable with vegan cheeses), thyme & basil. They're donating 1/4 of proceeds from that pizza to breast cancer research foundations (hence the title Wink). Grr, now I feel bad I *didn't* get that one--I need to go back soon!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Feb 11, 8:08pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 11, 10:58pm

Post #53 of 64 (460 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Thank you, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have ice here today, so this is really great! SmileSmileSmile

cats16
Valinor

Feb 12, 12:18am

Post #54 of 64 (456 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

Spontaneous pizza parties are the best.

Thanks, and call me if you need your driveway virtually snow shoveled! Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12, 2:32am

Post #55 of 64 (439 views)
Shortcut
Those maps are sooo helpful! [In reply to] Can't Post

This must be "tied in" to the one I check every morning for Connecticut. It's a 20-minute drive on mostly state roads to work, but boy is it good to know where the slowdowns are, or if there's been an accident, especially as Ethel said in this icy weather. Tongue

This must have been extremely helpful to you, you must have been able to avoid tie-ups many times in your long-distance travels!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 12, 3:45am

Post #56 of 64 (424 views)
Shortcut
Just a little [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, gramma!

I'm always a little nervous waiting for feedback and the inner critic looooves telling me the beta will hate the story and I'll have to scrap the whole thing and start over, but I think I'm getting better about shutting that little voice down the more experience I get. Mostly. :p At least in this case the event is so casual it's a little less nerve wracking than if I was getting feedback on a big story I'd been working on for months (or years! *cringe*).

Noel, Noel, Jesus is alive
Emanuel, hope is here tonight
So go, and tell, the world that death has died
'Cause Jesus is alive, yeah Jesus is alive
Sin you have no sting
Hell you have no power
Curse you are no more
This is your final hour
Because the son of God, has not left us alone
He'll live and die and rise again, and then he'll bring us home
The old will pass away
And we will become new
This baby boy is making all sad things untrue.
"Jesus is Alive" - Josh Wilson

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 12, 3:47am

Post #57 of 64 (423 views)
Shortcut
Yum yum! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe! I read my mom wjat you said about the dessert and she laughed.Laugh Very true! Keep it secret. Keep it safe.Wink

Noel, Noel, Jesus is alive
Emanuel, hope is here tonight
So go, and tell, the world that death has died
'Cause Jesus is alive, yeah Jesus is alive
Sin you have no sting
Hell you have no power
Curse you are no more
This is your final hour
Because the son of God, has not left us alone
He'll live and die and rise again, and then he'll bring us home
The old will pass away
And we will become new
This baby boy is making all sad things untrue.
"Jesus is Alive" - Josh Wilson

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12, 12:06pm

Post #58 of 64 (388 views)
Shortcut
He lit up :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's beautiful! I'm so happy he made it and that he enjoyed himself even while struggling with comprehending everything that was going on. That moment was well worth it!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12, 12:15pm

Post #59 of 64 (385 views)
Shortcut
Especially came in handy on Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter (on disability) here in town and her son (very close to getting driver's license) had gone down to the Detroit area (3 hrs southeast) on Saturday. She can't do the long drive, but it was his first real test on messy, scary freeways. They made it down okay, but coming back on Sunday (yesterday), there was another heavy snowstorm overnight (7+ inches) and into the morning when they were supposed to drive back. I was ready to go down and get them (w/hobbity's 4wheel drive), but g'son wanted to try the long drive back. So I was watching their road and giving them updates the whole way back. It did show red for accidents and gold popping up then returning to yellow. They knew what was coming and were ready to pull off if need be while I drove down to get them.

They made it home after 4 1/2 drive. G'son was so proud! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12, 12:16pm

Post #60 of 64 (385 views)
Shortcut
Cool :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Not good to have the ice, but seeing what to expect helps. Good :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 12, 5:12pm

Post #61 of 64 (381 views)
Shortcut
we're having our mid-February cold-and-clear stretch [In reply to] Can't Post

our weather has been so weird and unusual for the last decade that it's nice to see it revert to form even a little.

I'm late; I treated myself (well, my Dad did most of it) to a writing retreat at a gorgeous resort on the east slope of the Cascades. I must be a Sylvan Elf because my heart soars whenever I walk under Ponderosa pines. And I got a LOT of writing done!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ettelewen
Rohan

Feb 12, 10:05pm

Post #62 of 64 (370 views)
Shortcut
Cold and clear here too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never visited the Cascades but the photos I've seen are gorgeous. I do love the Ponderosas too, and love to hike in the Sierras. Very restful.

*Cheers!*

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 13, 4:06pm

Post #63 of 64 (321 views)
Shortcut
ever smell them in spring? [In reply to] Can't Post

The sap smells like caramel. Or butterscotch - we argue about this. Laugh

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 13, 4:07pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 14, 5:08am

Post #64 of 64 (266 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

CDOT has a similar site (cotrip.org) but it stops at the state borders. It has info about ice and snow, as well as road speeds and webcams. I often check it before setting out on my commute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.