The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 12 2018, 7:51pm

Post #1 of 13 (2492 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories Can't Post

What is the *real* reason Tolkien invented his own languages?

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 12 2018, 7:55pm

Post #2 of 13 (2426 views)
Shortcut
So he could teach it to his friends and pass secret notes in class. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 12 2018, 7:56pm

Post #3 of 13 (2426 views)
Shortcut
To have an excuse for mis-reading Edith's grocery list.// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 12 2018, 8:25pm

Post #4 of 13 (2417 views)
Shortcut
He was 99% insane, but talking to oneself in a unknown language makes you sound like a physicist, so it was good cover.// [In reply to] Can't Post

hanne
Lorien

Feb 12 2018, 8:30pm

Post #5 of 13 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Compliance with the 1917 Gnomish Statue of Secrecy / [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 12 2018, 10:55pm

Post #6 of 13 (2401 views)
Shortcut
Edith got so angry when he swore in English when bumping his head // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 13 2018, 4:17am

Post #7 of 13 (2402 views)
Shortcut
Umm, he did not invent any of those languages, actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was S. Morgenstern.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 13 2018, 5:59am

Post #8 of 13 (2374 views)
Shortcut
What do you mean, “languages”? I have a Babelfish in my ear, and everything he wrote looks like English.// [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 11:53am

Post #9 of 13 (2361 views)
Shortcut
To give David Salo something to do // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 13 2018, 3:17pm

Post #10 of 13 (2366 views)
Shortcut
Inconceivable!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was S. Morgenstern.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 13 2018, 7:48pm

Post #11 of 13 (2340 views)
Shortcut
You can only say dwimmerlaik and dotard so many times before you're aching for something new // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2018, 4:40pm

Post #12 of 13 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Wanted to pass off his annoying doodling during faculty meetings as note-taking./ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 15 2018, 5:06pm

Post #13 of 13 (2218 views)
Shortcut
The forward looking professor knew what joy future generations would have carping at one another as to why he invented his own languages. / [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.