The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
EXCLUSIVE: Tickets for Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2018, 6:47pm

Post #1 of 11 (13374 views)
Shortcut
EXCLUSIVE: Tickets for Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth Can't Post

The Bodleian Library in Oxford has an exceptional exhibition coming up later this year, which fans will no doubt travel far and wide to see. Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth (June 1 – October 28) will display an extraordinary collection of illustrations, manuscripts, letters, personal belongings and more, giving a unique insight into J.R.R. Tolkien and his works. This ‘once in a lifetime’ exhibition is not to be missed – and thanks to our friends at the Bodleian, TheOneRing.net can reveal exclusively that tickets will be available from 2pm UK time tomorrow, Tuesday 13th February. Here’s what the Bodleian tell us:
The Bodleian Library is pleased to announce that free tickets for the upcoming, once in a lifetime exhibition, Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth, will be available for booking from 2pm UK time on Tuesday 13 February 2018. We know that some visitors will want to travel some distance to this exhibition and want to help them ensure their entry in advance. To book your tickets, visit the official Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth website at https://tolkien.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/about-the-exhibition where they will be available from 2pm on Tuesday 13 February 2018.

Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth explores Tolkien’s amazing legacy from his genius as an artist, poet, linguist, and author to his academic career and private life. The exhibition takes you on a journey through Tolkien’s famous works, The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, displaying an array of draft manuscripts, striking illustrations and maps drawn for his publications.
Visitors will discover Tolkien’s early abstract paintings from The Book of Ishness, the touching tales he wrote for his children, rare objects that belonged to Tolkien, exclusive fan mail, and private letters.

The exhibition runs 1 June to 28 October 2018 at the Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford.
If you’ve been thinking about making a pilgrimage to Oxford, this summer/autumn is the time to go; and be sure to grab those tickets tomorrow! Check out the exhibition website, here.
Thanks to the Bodleian Library for allowing us to make this announcement.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 12 2018, 6:50pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 12:06pm

Post #2 of 11 (13266 views)
Shortcut
Oh Geez! *kerplunk!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

geordie
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2018, 3:45pm

Post #3 of 11 (13254 views)
Shortcut
Very nice - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but hardly an exclusive. The Bod has been talking about this on facebook for some time now.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 26 2018, 8:39pm

Post #4 of 11 (12113 views)
Shortcut
And here I was thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

People have asserted (Carpenter does, I seem to recall) that Oxford is not proud of Tollers OR CSL. Is this no longer true? I, for one, would be happy to hear it.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2018, 9:08pm

Post #5 of 11 (12106 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember that - [In reply to] Can't Post

- where does Carpenter say this?

(This post was edited by geordie on Feb 26 2018, 9:10pm)

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 26 2018, 9:45pm

Post #6 of 11 (12101 views)
Shortcut
My mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- where does Carpenter say this?

Sorry, it was Shippey, not Carpenter. That's what I get for posting from where my books aren't. I think its in the Preface to JRR Tolkien, Author of the Century. mea culpa Shocked

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

(This post was edited by Attalus on Feb 26 2018, 9:45pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 27 2018, 10:20pm

Post #7 of 11 (12023 views)
Shortcut
The Bodleian Library is releasing a companion book [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been eyeing it, you can pre-order it, it will ship "when available".

I am not yet sure I'm ordering it, but if anyone is interested:

https://www.bodleianshop.co.uk/...of-middle-earth.html

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2018, 10:30pm

Post #8 of 11 (12016 views)
Shortcut
I've already orderd it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can resist nearly all of the LOTR/Hobbit figures, jewelry, posters and such, but I can NOT resist new books. Cool

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 27 2018, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 11 (12014 views)
Shortcut
it is tempting beyond belief, I will probably succumb!! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2018, 7:21am

Post #10 of 11 (11967 views)
Shortcut
*kerplunk* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wups! I just succumbed ;) It didn't hurt a bit! *kaff... limps away*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Asger
Rivendell

Jun 6 2018, 9:09pm

Post #11 of 11 (7070 views)
Shortcut
I just Got tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

...for my wife and me for tuesday june 19eth. We are visiting Southern England with Stonehenge as primary target but Will visit Oxford too.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.