Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Anything You Can Imagine - Peter Jackson and the Making of Middle-earth Book

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 12 2018, 9:12am

Post #1 of 9 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Anything You Can Imagine - Peter Jackson and the Making of Middle-earth Book Can't Post

Anything You Can Imagine - Peter Jackson and the Making of Middle-earth Book
May 2018

The definitive history of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth saga, Anything You Can Imagine takes us on a cinematic journey across all six films, featuring brand-new interviews with Peter, his cast & crew. From the early days of daring to dream it could be done, through the highs and lows of making the films, to fan adoration and, finally, Oscar glory. LightsA nine-year-old boy in New Zealand's Pukerua Bay stays up late and is spellbound by a sixty-year-old vision of a giant ape on an island full of dinosaurs. This is true magic. And the boy knows that he wants to be a magician. CameraFast-forward twenty years and the boy has begun to cast a spell over the film-going audience, conjuring gore-splattered romps with bravura skill that will lead to Academy recognition with an Oscar nomination for Heavenly Creatures. The boy from Pukerua Bay with monsters reflected in his eyes has arrived, and Hollywood comes calling. What would he like to do next? `How about a fantasy film, something like The Lord of the Rings...?' ActionThe greatest work of fantasy in modern literature, and the biggest, with rights ownership so complex it will baffle a wizard. Vast. Complex. Unfilmable. One does not simply walk into Mordor - unless you are Peter Jackson. Anything You Can Imagine tells the full, dramatic story of how Jackson and his trusty fellowship of Kiwi filmmakers dared take on a quest every bit as daunting as Frodo's, and transformed JRR Tolkien's epic tale of adventure into cinematic magic, and then did it again with The Hobbit. Enriched with brand-new interviews with Jackson, his fellow filmmakers and many of the films' stars, Ian Nathan's mesmerising narrative whisks us to Middle-earth, to gaze over the shoulder of the director as he creates the impossible, the unforgettable, and proves that film-making really is `anything you can imagine'.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 12 2018, 4:07pm

Post #2 of 9 (2466 views)
Shortcut
I hope it covers the Guillermo del Toro period. [In reply to] Can't Post

My understanding is that Dan Falconer's Middle-Earth from Script to Screen pretty much skips over the period when del Toro was signed to direct the Hobbit films. I've always wanted to know more about that time, and Peter Jackson was still heavily involved both as a producer and screenwriter. I'm especially interested in a look at the development art under GtD including the large maquette of his version of Smaug that was said to have been made.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 13 2018, 8:06am

Post #3 of 9 (2438 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that there will be much about GDT in this book. [In reply to] Can't Post

But some time ago PJ said that he can imagine a book or DVD about GDT's designs. But I'm not sure if GDT wants that. He never talks about The Hobbit and never watched it as far as I know.

I watched an interview yesterday where PJ said some things about that period. He let GDT make his own vision and he only looked at his designs when he took over.

33:40min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssJ_ZEsDyo

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Feb 13 2018, 8:08am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 1:32pm

Post #4 of 9 (2420 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to read this one! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 3:01pm

Post #5 of 9 (2418 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo del Toro on record. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But some time ago PJ said that he can imagine a book or DVD about GDT's designs. But I'm not sure if GDT wants that. He never talks about The Hobbit and never watched it as far as I know.

I don't know about del Toro watching the Hobbit films, but he has gone on record about his time on the project. I've linked before to this 2011 article from The New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/.../07/show-the-monster.

I paused at what looked like an image of a double-bitted medieval hatchet. “That’s Smaug,” del Toro said. It was an overhead view: “See, he’s like a flying axe.” Del Toro thinks that monsters should appear transformed when viewed from a fresh angle, lest the audience lose a sense of awe. Defining silhouettes is the first step in good monster design, he said. “Then you start playing with movement. The next element of design is color. And then finally—finally—comes detail. A lot of people go the other way, and just pile up a lot of detail.”

I turned to a lateral image of the dragon. Smaug’s body, as del Toro had imagined it, was unusually long and thin. The bones of its wings were articulated on the dorsal side, giving the creature a slithery softness across its belly. “It’s a little bit more like a snake,” he said. I thought of his big Russian painting. Del Toro had written that the beast would alight “like a water bird.”

But I'm not sure how any potential reticence on GtD's part relates to covering that period in a book about the films. Surely there is already enough material extant to cover a chapter or two.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 13 2018, 3:07pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 13 2018, 3:50pm

Post #6 of 9 (2408 views)
Shortcut
GDT "I never saw them..." [In reply to] Can't Post

7:55min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5xLDsNcGI

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 4:28pm

Post #7 of 9 (2403 views)
Shortcut
Terrific. [In reply to] Can't Post

That still does not preclude a look at his involvement in the films. Angelic

And del Toro does state in the interview you link to that he hopes that the work that he and his team put into the development of the films comes to light.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 13 2018, 4:34pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 14 2018, 1:07pm

Post #8 of 9 (2329 views)
Shortcut
I found that video... [In reply to] Can't Post

after my post before...

I don't think that I would have liked GDTs version but it would be interesting to watch nonetheless.

Silmaril
Rohan

May 2 2018, 1:03pm

Post #9 of 9 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Mine is on the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to read all the interviews and stuff.
https://twitter.com/iannathan2?lang=de

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.