The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2018, 1:55pm

Post #1 of 11 (2034 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here's part 1 of a 3-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he journeys through Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Tower of Cirith Ungol: The Return of the King

... "All was ominously quiet. The light was no more than that of dusk at a dark day's end...
... ...Sam looked up towards the orc-tower, and suddenly from its narrow windows lights stared out like small red eyes. He wondered if they were some signal. His fear of the orcs, forgotten for a while in his wrath and desperation, now returned. As far as he could see, there was only one possible course for him to take: he must go on and try to find the main entrance to the dreadful tower; but his knees felt weak, and he found that he was trembling... ...he forced his unwilling feet to obey him, and slowly, listening with all his ears... ...he retraced his steps, past the place where Frodo fell, and still the stench of Shelob lingered...
... ...he halted and sat down. For the moment he could drive himself no further.... ...Without any clear purpose he drew out the Ring and put it on again. Immediately he felt the great burden of its weight, and felt afresh, but now more strong and urgent than ever, the malice of the Eye of Mordor, searching....
... ...Sam found that his hearing was sharpened, but that to his sight the things of this world seemed thin and vague.... ...he heard cries and the clash of metal... ...his hearing had deceived him: the orc-cries came from the tower, whose topmost horn was now right above him, on the left hand of the cleft.
... Sam shuddered and tried to force himself to move. There was plainly some devilry going on. Perhaps in spite of all orders the cruelty of the orcs had mastered them, and they were tormenting Frodo, or even savagely hacking him to pieces. He listened; and as he did so a gleam of hope came to him. There could not be much doubt: there was fighting in the tower, the orcs must be at war among themselves, Shagrat and Gorbag had come to blows. Faint as was the hope that his guess brought him, it was enough to rouse him. There might be just a chance. His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud: 'I'm coming, Mr. Frodo.'
... He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor...."

[more tomorrow]

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2018, 3:40am

Post #2 of 11 (1991 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I said this would be a 3-part series of BS, but I've decided to expand it to 10... just because this is such a great Sam moment!

Here's part 2 of 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he journeys through Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "He took off the Ring, moved it may be by some deep premonition of danger, though to himself he thought only that he wished to see more clearly. 'Better have a look at the worst... ...No good blundering about in a fog!'
... Hard and cruel and bitter was the land that met his gaze... ...but almost straight ahead, across a wide lake of darkness dotted with tiny fires, there was a great burning glow... ...Sam was looking at Orodruin, the Mountain of Fire. Ever and anon the furnaces far below its ashen cone would grow hot and with a great surging and throbbing pour fourth rivers of molten rock from chasms in its sides. Some would flow blazing towards Barad-dûr down great channels; some would wind their way into the stone plain, until they cooled and lay like twisted dragon-shapes vomited from the tormented earth. In such an hour of labour Sam beheld Mount Doom, and the light of it... ...now glared against the stark rock faces, so that they seemed to be drenched with blood.
... In that dreadful light Sam stood aghast, for now, looking to his left, he could see the Tower of Cirith Ungol in all its strength...
... ...Only too clearly Sam saw how hopeless it would be for him to creep down under those many-eyed walls and pass the watchful gate... ...But desperate as that road might be, his task was now far worse: not to avoid the gate and escape, but to enter it, alone."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 5 2018, 3:42am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2018, 1:38pm

Post #3 of 11 (1965 views)
Shortcut
It's time for MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 3 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he journeys through Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..." [Sam's] thought turned to the Ring, but there was no comfort there, only dread and danger. No sooner had he come in sight of Mount Doom... ...than he was aware of a change in his burden. As it drew near the great furnaces where, in the deeps of time, it had been shaped and forged, the Ring's power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will. As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself...
......He felt that he had from now on only two choices; to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong... ...striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr... ...and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.
... In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden... ...The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due... ...his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
... 'And anyway all these notions are only a trick... ...He'd spot me and cow me, before I could so much as shout out. He'd spot me, pretty quick, if I put the ring on now, in Mordor. Well, all I can say is: things look as hopeless as a frost in spring. Just when being invisible would be really useful, I can't use the Ring! And if ever I get any further, it's going to be nothing but a drag and a burden every step. So what's to be done?'... He was not really in any doubt... ...With a shrug of his shoulders, as if to shake off the shadow and dismiss the phantoms, he began slowly to descend. With each step he seemed to diminish. He had not gone far before he had shrunk again to a very small and frightened hobbit."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2018, 11:11am

Post #4 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 4 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he journeys though Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "He was now passing under the very walls of the Tower, and the cries and sounds of fighting could be heard with his unaided ears. At the moment the noise seemed to be coming from the court behind the outer wall...
......He went on, hugging the wall on this left. One look upward had shown him that there was no hope of climbing it. The stone-work rose thirty feet, without a crack or ledge, to overhanging courses like inverted steps. The gate was the only way.
... He crept on; and as he went he wondered how many orcs lived in the Tower with Shagrat, and how many Gorbag had, and what they were quarrelling about, if that was what was happening... ...Almost certainly they were quarrelling about Frodo, and the spoil. For a second Sam halted, for suddenly things seemed clear to him, almost as if he had seen them with his eyes. The mithril coat! Of course, Frodo was wearing it, and they would find it... ...But the orders of the Dark Tower were at present Frodo's only protection, and if they were set aside, Frodo might be killed out of hand at any moment.... 'Come on, you miserable sluggard!' Sam cried to himself. 'Now for it!' He drew Sting and ran towards the open gate. But... ...under its great arch he felt a shock: as if he had run into some web like Shelob's, only invisible. He could see no obstacle, but something too strong for his will to overcome barred the way. He looked about, and then within the shadow of the gate he saw the Two Watchers."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 6 2018, 11:12am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 7 2018, 12:29pm

Post #5 of 11 (1913 views)
Shortcut
It's time for more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 5 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he journeys though Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "[The Two Watchers] were like great figures seated upon thrones... ...carved out of huge blocks of stone, immovable, and yet they were aware: some dreadful spirit of evil vigilance abode in them. They knew an enemy. Visible or invisible none could pass unheeded. They would forbid his entry, or his escape.
... Hardening his will Sam thrust forward once again and halted with a jerk, staggering as if from a blow upon his breast and head. Then greatly daring... ...answering a sudden thought that came to him, he drew slowly out the phial of Galadriel and held it up. Its white light quickened swiftly, and the shadows under the dark arch fled. The monstrous Watchers sat there cold and still, revealed in all their hideous shape... ...but slowly he felt their will waver and crumble into fear.
... He sprang past them; but even as he did so, thrusting the phial back into his bosom, he was aware, as plainly as if a bar of steel had snapped to behind him, that their vigilance was renewed. And from those evil heads there came a high shrill cry that echoed in the towering walls before him....
... '...That's done it!' said Sam. 'Now I've rung the front-door bell! Well, come on somebody!' he cried. 'Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called, with his elf-sword too!'"

Remember this in the Trollshaws after reciting the Troll poem?

From Flight to the Ford: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Where did you come by that, Sam?' asked Pippin. 'I've never heard those words before.'
... Sam muttered something inaudible. 'It's out of his own head, of course,' said Frodo. 'I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up becoming a wizard--or a warrior!'
... 'I hope not,' said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2018, 11:06am

Post #6 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Today in Middle-earth

Here's part 6 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he searches the Tower of Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."[After passing under the Two Watchers] Sam strode forward. Sting glittered blue in his hand. The courtyard lay in deep shadow... ...the pavement was strewn with bodies... ...dead in the very throes of stabbing, throttling, biting. The stones were slippery with dark blood...
... ...From what he had heard of the captains' talk Sam knew that, dead or alive, Frodo would most likely be found in a chamber high up in the turret far above; but he might search for a day before he found the way.
... 'It'll be near the back, I guess... ...The whole Tower climbs backwards-like....'
...He advanced down the passage, but slowly now... ...Terror was beginning to grip him again.... ...The dead bodies; the emptiness; the dank black walls that in the torchlight seemed to drip with blood; the fear of sudden death lurking in doorway or shadow; and behind all his mind the waiting watchful malice at the gate: it was almost more than he could screw himself to face... ...He forced himself to think of Frodo, lying bound or in pain or dead somewhere in this dreadful place. He went on...
... ...there came from high above a dreadful choking shriek. He stopped short... ...he heard feet coming. Someone was running in great haste down an echoing stairway overhead.
...His will was too weak and slow to restrain his hand. It dragged at the chain and clutched the Ring. But Sam did not put it on; for even as he clasped it to his breast, an orc came clattering down."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 9 2018, 12:42pm

Post #7 of 11 (1874 views)
Shortcut
It's time for yet more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 7of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he searches the Tower of Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."Leaping out of a dark opening at the right, [an orc] ran towards [Sam]... ...lifting its head, it saw him; and Sam could hear its gasping breath... ...see the glare in it bloodshot eyes. It stopped short aghast. For what it saw was not a small frightened hobbit trying to hold a steady sword: it was a great silent shape, cloaked in a grey shadow, looming against the wavering light behind; in one hand it held a sword, the very light of which was a bitter pain, the other was clutched at his breast, but held concealed some nameless menace of power and doom....
... ...the orc crouched, and then with a hideous yelp of fear it turned and fled back as it had come. Never was any dog more heartened when its enemy turned tail than Sam at this unexpected flight. With a shout he gave chase.
... 'Yes! The Elf-warrior is loose!'... ...'I'm coming. Just you show me the way up, or I'll skin you!'
... But the orc was in its own haunts, nimble and well-fed. Sam was a stranger, hungry and weary. The stairs were high and steep and winding. Sam's breath began to come in gasps. The orc ... ...passed out of sight, and now only faintly could be heard the slapping of its feet as it went on and up. Every now and again it gave a yell... ...But slowly all sound of it died away.
... Sam plodded on. He felt that he was on the right road... ...his spirits had risen a good deal. He thrust the Ring away and tightened his belt. 'Well, well!' he said. 'If only they all take such a dislike to me and my Sting, this may turn out better than I hoped... ...it looks as if Shagrat, Gorbag, and company have done nearly all my job for me. Except for that little frightened rat, I do believe there's nobody left alive in the place...!'... ...with that he stopped, brought up hard, as if he had hit his head against the stone wall. The full meaning of what he had said struck him like a blow. Nobody left alive! Whose had been that horrible dying shriek? 'Frodo, Frodo! Master!' he cried half sobbing. 'If they've killed you, what shall I do? Well, I'm coming at last, right to the top, to see what I must.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 9 2018, 12:43pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 10 2018, 12:11pm

Post #8 of 11 (1865 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 8 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he searches the Tower of Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."Up, up [Sam] went. It was dark save for an occasional torch flaring... ...or beside some opening that led into the higher levels of the Tower... ...He was moving quietly now; for he thought that he could hear the sound of voices talking... ...some way above. More than one rat remained alive it seemed...
... ...when he felt that he could pump out no more breath, nor force his knees to bend again, the stair ended. He stood still. The voices were now loud and near. Sam peered about. He had climbed right to the flat roof of the third and highest tier of the Tower: an open space, about twenty yards across, with a low parapet... ...the stair was covered by a small domed chamber in the midst of the roof, with low doors facing east and west. Eastward Sam could see the plain of Mordor vast and dark below, and the burning mountain far away... ...Light gleamed in a window-slit. Its door was not ten yards from where Sam stood. It was open but dark, and from just within its shadow the voices came.
... At first Sam did not listen; he took a pace out of the eastward door and looked about... ...An orc-voice rose in anger, and he knew it again at once, harsh, brutal, cold. It was Shagrat speaking, Captain of the Tower....
... 'You won't go again, you say? Curse you, Snaga, you little maggot! If you think I'm so damaged that it's safe to flout me, you're mistaken...'
... Snaga [answered] surlily. 'I've told you twice that Gorbag's swine got to the gate first, and none of ours got out... ...'I'm not going down those stairs again... ... a nice mess you two precious captains have made of things, fighting over the swag.'
... 'That's enough from you,' snarled Shagrat. 'I had my orders. It was Gorbag started it, trying to pinch that pretty shirt.'
... 'Well... ...he had more sense than you anyway. He told you more than once that the most dangerous of these spies was still loose, and you wouldn't listen... ...Gorbag was right, I tell you. There's a great fighter about, one of those bloody-handed Elves, or one of the filthy tarks. He's coming here, I tell you. You heard the bell. He's got past the Watchers, and that's tark's work. He's on the stairs...'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 10 2018, 12:11pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2018, 1:16pm

Post #9 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 9 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he searches the Tower of Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...Out of the turret-door the smaller orc came flying. Behind him came Shagrat, a large orc with long arms that... ...reached to the ground. But one arm hung limp and seemed to be bleeding; the other hugged a large black bundle. In the red glare Sam, cowering behind the stair-door, caught a glimpse of his evil face as it passed... ...Shagrat hunted Snaga round the roof, until ducking and eluding him the smaller orc with a yelp darted back into the turret and disappeared. Then Shagrat halted. Out of the eastward door Sam could see him now by the parapet, panting... ...He put the bundle on the floor...... ...Sam had no time to think... ...He did what was probably the best thing he could have done. He sprang out to meet Shagrat with a shout. He was no longer holding the ring, but it was there, a hidden power, a cowing menace to the slaves of Mordor; and in his hand was Sting, and its light smote the eyes of the orc like the glitter of cruel stars in the terrible elf-countries, the dream of which was a cold fear to all his kind... ...Shagrat could not both fight and keep hold of his treasure. He stooped, growling, baring his fags... ...he leapt aside, and as Sam sprang at him, using the heavy bundle as both shield and weapon, he thrust it hard into his enemy's face. Sam staggered... ...before he could recover, Shagrat darted past and down the stairs.
... Sam ran after him, cursing, but he did not go far... ...the thought of Frodo returned to him, and he remembered that the other orc had gone back into the turret. Here was another dreadful choice... ...he had no time to ponder it. If Shagrat got away, he would soon get help and come back. But if Sam pursued him, the other orc might do some horrible deed up there... ...Sam might miss Shagrat or be killed by him. He turned quickly and ran back up the stairs. 'Wrong again, I expect,' he sighed. 'But it's my job to go right up to the top first, whatever happens afterwards....'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12 2018, 12:00pm

Post #10 of 11 (1825 views)
Shortcut
It's time for one more BS of this set! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 10 of a 10-part Book Spoiler that walks with Sam as he searches the Tower of Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "[Sam's] mind was set on the last stage of his search. He came cautiously to the turret-door and stepped inside. It opened into darkness... ...soon his staring eyes were aware of a dim light at his right hand... ...from an opening that led to another stairway, dark and narrow: it appeared to go winding up the turret along the inside of its round outer wall. A torch was glimmering from somewhere up above.
... Softly Sam began to climb. He came to the guttering torch, fixed above a door... ...that faced a window-slit looking out westward: one of the red eyes that he and Frodo had seen from down below by the tunnel's mouth. Quickly Sam passed the door and hurried on to the second storey, dreading at any moment to be attacked... ...to feel throttling fingers seize his throat from behind. He came next to a window looking east and another torch above the door to a passage through the middle of the turret. The door was open, the passage dark save for the glimmer of the torch... ...But here the stair stopped and climbed no further. Sam crept into the passage. On either side there was a low door; both were closed and locked. There was no sound at all.
... 'A dead end,' muttered Sam; 'and after all my climb! This can't be the top of the tower. But what can I do now?'
... He ran back to the lower storey and tried the door. It would not move. He ran up again, and sweat began to trickle down his face. He felt that even minutes were precious... ...one by one they escaped; and he could do nothing. He cared no longer for Shagrat or Snaga or any other orc that was ever spawned. He longed only for his master, for one sight of his face or one touch of his hand.
... At last, weary and feeling finally defeated, he sat on a step below the level of the passage-floor and bowed his head into his hands."

This part of Sam's story continues in the March 14th post of TIME.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2018, 11:35am

Post #11 of 11 (1811 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler to get us back to what is going on with Frodo and Sam in Lothlorien... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From the Mirror of Galadriel: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."Sam climbed up on the foot of the pedestal and leaned over the basin. The water looked hard and dark. Stars were reflected in it.
...'There's only stars, as I thought.' ...Then he gave a low gasp, for the stars went out. As if a dark veil had been withdrawn, the Mirror grew grey, and then clear. There was sun shining, and the branches of trees were waving and tossing in the wind. But before Sam could make up his mind what it was that he saw, the light faded; and now he thought he saw Frodo with a pale face lying fast asleep under a great dark cliff. Then he seemed to see himself going along a dim passage, and climbing an endless winding stair... ...he was looking urgently for something, but what it was he did not know. Like a dream the vision shifted and went back, and he saw the trees again. But this time they were not so close, and he could see what was going on: they were not waving in the wind, they were falling, crashing to the ground.
...'Hi!' cried Sam in an outraged voice. 'There's that Ted Sandyman a-cutting down trees as he shouldn't. They didn't ought to be felled: it's that avenue beyond the Mill that shades the road to Bywater. I wish I could get at Ted, and I'd fell him!'
...But now Sam noticed that the Old Mill had vanished, and a large red-brick building was being put up where it had stood... ...There was a tall red chimney nearby. Black smoke seemed to cloud the surface of the Mirror.
...'There's some devilry at work in the Shire... ...Elrond knew what he was about when he wanted to send Mr. Merry back.' Then suddenly Sam gave a cry and sprang away. 'I can't stay here,' he said wildly. 'I must go home. They've dug up Bagshot Row, and there's the poor old gaffer going down the Hill with his bits of things on a barrow. I must go home!'
...'You cannot go home alone,' said the Lady. 'You did not wish to go home without your master before you looked in the Mirror, and yet you knew that evil things might well be happening in the Shire... ...the Mirror shows many things, and not all have yet come to pass. Some never come to be, unless those that behold the visions turn aside from their path to prevent them. The Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds.'
...Sam sat on the ground and put his head in his hands. 'I wish I had never come here, and I don't want to see no more magic,' he said and fell silent. After a moment he spoke again thickly, as if struggling with tears. 'No, I'll go home by the long road with Mr. Frodo, or not at all,' he said. 'But I hope I do get back some day. If what I've seen turns out true, somebody's going to catch it hot!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.