Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets key, unlocks door* Brrr...come on inside, it's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 64 (722 views)
Shortcut
*gets key, unlocks door* Brrr...come on inside, it's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, all and sundry! Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, must attend to work deadlines today, so I shall be your server.

We just got over a nasty snow-and-ice-and-slush event here! Is your weather just as chilly - or would you in the southern hemisphere like us to try to send some of this your way? Angelic

I've got hot cider and cocoa and other warm drinks, but there's plenty of cool stuff, as well! And there's lots of nibble for today - tapas, and chips and veggies with dip. No chocolates, as I suspect you'll all be tired of chocolates by week's end! Laugh

So what are your plans for Valentine's Day? Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 9 2018, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 64 (635 views)
Shortcut
Koshu [In reply to] Can't Post

Soryu Reserve 2005 if you got it.

Still too dang cold to paint the railing for my front steps.

Having to deal with Medicare messing up my account.

Interesting comments from my beta readers. They say I make crucifixion fun. Of course just about the entire first chapter was the evil Baron and his minions “kicking dogs” so when some of his men get brutally executed and the beta readers laugh and cheer it shows all the puppy punting paid off. They keep asking if Baron Ashbrooke is going to have a deservedly agonizing death. Don’t tell them, but yes, *very* agonizing. Also they keep worrying I’m going to kill off Clover. Guess killing off Geneva in the second chapter is also paying dividends. I *am* toying with having Clover burned at the stake at the end ala Joan of Arc but it’s not set in stone. Maybe Rose will swing in like Douglas Fairbanks at the last minute and rescue her. Yeah, that’s good.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 9 2018, 5:12pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 5:22pm

Post #3 of 64 (625 views)
Shortcut
*gets tall glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

Very refined taste there, Darkstone!

Are you still getting below freezing temps at night? Any snow from these latest storms?

People tend to appreciate it when the baddies go out in a most deserving way. And a rescue from horrendous death works wonders with an adrenaline rush and surge of dopamine. (In short, the perfect happy ending.) How many beta readers are giving you input?

You'd think Medicare would have a special account set up for you by now. Best of wishes for getting it all cleared up and soon, too!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 9 2018, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 64 (633 views)
Shortcut
It's snowing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for grabbing the keys, dernwyn :D I saw on the weather that your neck of the woods is getting hit AGAIN!

We're supposed to get a few inches starting today through the weekend, but not as much as south of me (7 inches). I'm headed into the thick of it Saturday afternoon to join my siblings, cousins, and Aunt as we celebrate her 80th birthday at a homey little restaurant.

This has been an unusual winter with very llittle snow... though it's still early ;) I just hope it doesn't mean a dry summer for the farm fields surrounding me.

It'll be a quiet Valentine's Day for me, but I did send a BUNCH of goodies to my college g'kiddie in Iowa... including a stick of free range 100% chicken poop lip balm. *ponders* I don't think it's really poopy, though. ;)

I hope you have a great weekend, m'dear... and that goes for EVERYONE! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 9 2018, 5:32pm

Post #5 of 64 (626 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty ruff going! [In reply to] Can't Post

INTENSE, fersher ;) As long as you're having fun... that's all that counts! *snigger*

I hope you have a great weekend and have a chance to paint very, very soon *high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 5:41pm

Post #6 of 64 (622 views)
Shortcut
A stick of WHAT? [In reply to] Can't Post

"free range 100% chicken poop lip balm"? Oh, goodness, what I'd give to see her expression when she opens that! Laugh That's very nice of you to send her the treats, I remember my folks sending me all sorts of goodies like that in college, it brings a smile when one is under the pressure of studies.

This current storm is supposed to bring only rain my way. Ice is a real problem here! Do be careful out in that stuff tomorrow - it's always the other drivers I worry about keeping their cars under control. And I know you'll all have a fun celebration, *hugs* to your aunt!

*pours a mug of hot cocoa, adds mini-marshmallows* Have a good, safe weekend, gramma!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 9 2018, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 64 (628 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's going to be 70* here tomorrow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good thing, too, as The Little Goblin has a boy scout camp out. We're only going for the day, but gorgeous weather is always a plus. Then Sunday is going to be nasty again.

For Valentine's Day, I will be attending our troop's adult committee meeting and Mr. Eruvande will be working late. Keeping that honeymoon feeling going! TongueLaugh

We were supposed to go skiing in New Mexico next weekend, but since they have no snow, it looks like we'll cancel. Only 5 green runs are open, and you know they are going to be pure ice. Wah. Frown

And I never get tired of chocolate! *sets out huge cardboard heart full of the good stuff* LaughHeart

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 9 2018, 5:48pm

Post #8 of 64 (619 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

some soap I got the kids for stocking stuffers. One was called Naval Supremacy and smelled like ocean, and one was called Victory and smelled like fresh cut grass.
Then there's the candle that smells like dirt. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 64 (614 views)
Shortcut
Donations are always appreciated! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if they're chocolate - thank you! Laugh

Ah, yes, the romance of family life. I hope you can have some time for yourselves this weekend, in between everything going on! Glad the weather will be decent for the camp-out.

The hills are devoid of snow in New Mexico? I guess all the winter storms have been staying north of there - that's too bad! Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 9 2018, 6:10pm

Post #10 of 64 (614 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Very refined taste there, Darkstone!

Something I acquired during an all expense paid tour of Asia during the early 1970s.

In Reply To
Are you still getting below freezing temps at night? Any snow from these latest storms?

No snow yet this winter. Indeed no precipitation. Thing is, it’s been relatively warm this week, so I thought this weekend I could finish up, but it’s going to plunge into the lower 20s, high teens, and maybe finally snow this Sunday.

In Reply To
People tend to appreciate it when the baddies go out in a most deserving way.

And you just can’t say “He’s a bad guy”, you gotta show him doing bad things, i.e. “kicking the dog”, to get the reader invested. And boy, did the Baron kick the heck out of those dogs!

In Reply To
And a rescue from horrendous death works wonders with an adrenaline rush and surge of dopamine. (In short, the perfect happy ending.) How many beta readers are giving you input?

I got eight, including Wifey. Four guys, four gals. The ladies really seem to relate to Clover, which is quite pleasing since I'm a male presuming to write a female character. Similarly they seem to be increasingly sympathetic to Rose's redemption, which is gratifying in light of how much they disliked her initial spoiled brat persona in the beginning. One guy is really sharp, and picks up on most of my foreshadowing. Another guy really loves the poetry I try to include each chapter.

In Reply To
You'd think Medicare would have a special account set up for you by now. Best of wishes for getting it all cleared up and soon, too!

Thanks!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 64 (618 views)
Shortcut
What a day! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're getting buckets of snow, and I had a morning errand that had to be done. A friend from high school has moved to Florida and asked me to send him some paczki for Fat Tuesday. I had ordered them in advance for Friday morning pickup, so I can send them overnight to Florida.

So after clearing snow off my car (morning cardio!), I made it to the Polish bakery that is on the far west side of the city. Alas, they didn't fill my order, so the special flavors my friend wanted were not there. I did my best to choose different flavors, and started for home. Note that it's still snowing here, but because the temperature is close to freezing, the main streets weren't too bad. Side streets are not plowed yet.

Stopped at my neighborhood UPS store, and sent the box to Florida. Not sure if this will be successful, but a squashed paczki is still good Smile. But, to my dismay, I discovered one of my tires was flat Crazy. Thank goodness for AAA! They came, and we found a piece of metal the tire had picked up, so we were able to repair the tire right away. Of course, the street plows went through, so now my car is fairly well buried. The truck left, but I'm stuck in the unplowed side of the road. I carry a small shovel in the trunk, so I dug myself out, and went to find parking.

I normally park on the street, but the snow is still coming down, and is expected for most of the rest of the day, and tomorrow. Plus the side streets are still not plowed. I have to leave early in the morning to volunteer, so I just parked in the local parking deck. It's worth the money to be sure I can leave tomorrow, and I won't have to clean off the car again!

So now I'm wet, and cold, and it's still snowing.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 9 2018, 6:26pm

Post #12 of 64 (615 views)
Shortcut
Cool and cloudy here [In reply to] Can't Post

56 F now, getting up to 61. Alas, it's supposed to get colder this weekend :(

I'll have an Irish coffee to keep the chill out

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Nomad
Forum Admin

Feb 9 2018, 7:54pm

Post #13 of 64 (603 views)
Shortcut
Brrrr... too cold for a 1420 OR strawberry milk. [In reply to] Can't Post

The hot cider sounds like a winner!!

Not much new in my world, but I did just buy plane tickets for the Las Vegas Writer's conference this April (my daughter is going with me). Very psyched about that. The novel effort is still moving forward and I'll get to do some in-person book pitching to literary agents in Vegas.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 7:57pm

Post #14 of 64 (598 views)
Shortcut
I'd say you've earned some of those paczki yourself. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lot of effort to get a car going in a Chicago winter! Good luck with the drive tomorrow.

BTW, I hadn't heard of Fat Tuesday before. Now that I've Googled it, it make so much sense. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:02pm

Post #15 of 64 (597 views)
Shortcut
We have rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

And not all dumped in one go! *happy dance*

Unfortunately I think it's too late for my NZ yams, which have a withered look to them. This will be the second time in the last few years that I've lost a crop due to dry weather. And last year the garden was a bust because of mould from a too-damp summer. Sometimes, you just can't catch a break with the weather.

Tomorrow the clan is gathering for my uncle's 90th birthday. We're not sure if he'll be well enough to turn up but my cousin will do her best to get him there.

Stay warm, everyone up north! Meanwhile, I'll have an orange juice to get the day started. Smile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:04pm

Post #16 of 64 (595 views)
Shortcut
What a workout! [In reply to] Can't Post

And not one I'd recommend! You definitely did a couple of paczki's worth of work with all the shovelling out. Glad you were able to get a spot in the parking deck, wouldn't those go fast when it snows like this?

(And yes - AAA is the best, "don't leave home without it"!)

How much snow is expected? I remember what Lake Shore Dr. looked like, a couple of years ago!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:06pm

Post #17 of 64 (593 views)
Shortcut
One Irish Coffee, coming up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Send some of those temps northwards, would you? Yeah, it's a deep-freeze weekend coming up (again)! Stay warm!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:11pm

Post #18 of 64 (588 views)
Shortcut
One hot cider, with WD-40 on the side. [In reply to] Can't Post

The writers' conference sounds fantastic, what a way to rub shoulders with those in the literary world! Keep us updated on your plans for it!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:15pm

Post #19 of 64 (588 views)
Shortcut
*pours juice into wide glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've developed a habit of having tonic and orange juice at bedtime sometimes, instead of hot tea. OJ is good anytime, though!

That's too bad about the yams! Unsure When you do get a good crop, do they keep well over the winter?

Have fun at the birthday bash, and happy birthday to your uncle!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 8:57pm

Post #20 of 64 (581 views)
Shortcut
I never get enough to know. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When you do get a good crop, do they keep well over the winter?

They're a winter favourite so I go through them pretty quickly. Cool

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 9:35pm

Post #21 of 64 (581 views)
Shortcut
I think the official count so far is 9 inches/23cm [In reply to] Can't Post

Still snowing as of 3 pm, but I think it's scheduled to stop in a couple hours. Just snow, no wind, so not really a storm. I think the flat tire was the worst part, but AAA was amazing.

No Lake Shore Drive debacle, fortunately. That happened for a lot of reasons; partly because that storm hit around the evening rush hour, and the high winds and quickly-falling snow hit the lakeshore much harder than the rest of the city, and LSD runs right by the lake. People got stuck because they ran out of gas, and just abandoned their cars, and a couple buses jack-knifed and blocked several lanes.

Chicago should have closed the Drive earlier, and by the time they did, it was a parking lot. There were people in the nearby high-rises coming outside with soup and blankets for the people still in their cars.

I think the parking deck was available because school was canceled today, and being a Friday, many people worked from home and didn't drive into the city.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 9:39pm

Post #22 of 64 (578 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to your uncle! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad's oldest brother is 95, bless him.

Do you all get the leaves turning color in the fall? I love the late summer/early fall.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 10:14pm

Post #23 of 64 (576 views)
Shortcut
Re the leaves, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a mix as the native trees tend to be decidious but there are a lot of exotic trees around too. My street has cherry trees along it so the autumn colours and spring blossoms are lovely. :)

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2018, 10:26pm

Post #24 of 64 (572 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cherry blossoms against a blue sky are so pretty.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 9 2018, 10:45pm

Post #25 of 64 (573 views)
Shortcut
Woo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got back from a five mile walk. temp was 61F and the wind was hard out of the South. Glad I got it in as it is supposed to get colder tonight, curse it! Any of that tonic left?

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.