Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the post-Groundhog Day reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 6 2018, 4:34pm

Post #1 of 12 (729 views)
Shortcut
It's the post-Groundhog Day reading thread! Can't Post

I have to admit that here in Texas we pay very little attention to the predictions of a groundhog in Pennsylvania. We know we're in for six more weeks of winter, spring, winter, spring, maybe a few minutes of summer, then winter again.... Smile

The other question is why we Americans have devolved the old Celtic quarter day of Imbolc/old Catholic feast of St. Bridget and Candlemas, into a silly joke involving a rodent!

Ahem.

I'm almost finished listening to the audio book of The Wave, which has turned out to be much more about surfing than about science. But then, surfing is alien enough to me that I've enjoyed listening and learning---and yes, frequently dozing off.

Next up: The audio version of a Georgette Heyer book, but not, unfortunately, one of the ones read by Richard Armitage.

On paper I've just started The Kindness of Place: Twenty Years in West Cork, by Damien Enright. This promises to be a quiet, soothing book about the natural history of southwestern Ireland---as distinct from the gripping but gruesome political and social history of southwestern Ireland.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 6 2018, 5:45pm

Post #2 of 12 (685 views)
Shortcut
I've been rereading the Harry Potter series. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've almost finished The Prisoner of Azkaban. These books really are a joy to read from time to time. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Feb 6 2018, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 12 (677 views)
Shortcut
the Morgaine series by C J Cherryh [In reply to] Can't Post

I had all these books years ago, but at some point took them to the used book store. Yesterday I was killing time in a bookstore before choir & came across an omnibus edition of all four books for $10. Well, who could resist? And it's been a long time.

I like Cherryh very much except for one issue, which I notice with a few other writers as well (Patricia McKillip for example): I don't always understand what just happened. She's sometimes so oblique, she doesn't take me with her.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 7 2018, 3:27am

Post #4 of 12 (668 views)
Shortcut
A family member gave me Dan Brown's Origins to read [In reply to] Can't Post

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2018, 2:58pm

Post #5 of 12 (617 views)
Shortcut
Three stories by Rosemary Sutcliffe [In reply to] Can't Post

neatly packaged into one volume. They are: Warrior Scarlet; Mark of the Horse Lord; and Knight's Fee. I only knew her from Eagle of the Ninth and Sun Horse, Moon Horse. I absolutely love her writing, it is so lyrical and beautiful. These are meant to be YA, but the writing lifts them all much higher. I even teared up a couple of times. I would have loved to have known about her earlier in my life.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 7 2018, 7:37pm

Post #6 of 12 (589 views)
Shortcut
Kylara Vatta ftw [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I
I like Cherryh very much except for one issue, which I notice with a few other writers as well (Patricia McKillip for example): I don't always understand what just happened. She's sometimes so oblique, she doesn't take me with her.

I have found that in a few other authors (Elizabeth Moon, I'm talking about you as a fellow Texan, and quit putting anachronistic puns in). But I just finished her (Moon's) Marque and Reprisal and enjoyed it very much. On the whole. Engaging the Enemy is now on order, darn it. Pirate

Now rereading Lindsey Davis' The Accusers and enjoying it

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Feb 9 2018, 3:57pm

Post #7 of 12 (568 views)
Shortcut
Groundhogs and Candlemas ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are not as unconnected as they may appear! There's an old rhyme:
If Candlemas Day be fair and bright, Winter will have another flight;
If Candlemas Day be showers and rain, Winter is gone and will not come again.
So in one way or another there is a tradition of trying to predict the upcoming weather conditions on 2nd February.
At one time, too, it seems that in England Christmas greenery was taken down at Candlemas rather than on 6 Jan - there's a poem by Robert Herrick about it
https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/...osemary_and_bays.htm
so it was seen as a turning-point in more ways than one.

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 10 2018, 9:52pm

Post #8 of 12 (537 views)
Shortcut
Up Ship! [In reply to] Can't Post

by Charles Rosendahl, 1931. The author was probably the best-known American zeppelin flyer, the senior surviving officer of the wreck of the USS Shenandoah, CO of the USS Los Angeles, and invited as an observer aboard the Graf Zeppelin for Hugo Eckener's famous around-the-world flight. I thought it was a fascinating first-person perspective on the history of the airship, and the author's optimism is palpable. Knowing about the tragedies that followed this book's publication gives it a sad sense of an age of innocence lost.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 11 2018, 9:36pm

Post #9 of 12 (511 views)
Shortcut
Thank you---very interesting! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 11 2018, 9:52pm

Post #10 of 12 (521 views)
Shortcut
Taken like an old badger in a trap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that rhyme. We also touched on some (slight) Lord of the Rings connections to Groundhog Day and Candlemas last week in this Fiesta thread.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Feb 12 2018, 6:12pm

Post #11 of 12 (486 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I didn't know about the bear / badger's shadow tradition.

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 13 2018, 3:13pm

Post #12 of 12 (456 views)
Shortcut
With the Lightnings [In reply to] Can't Post

by David Drake. First in a series of SF space navy novels, the two main characters are obviously inspired by O'Brien's Aubrey & Maturin in Master & Commander. Drake has always done well with military perspectives, inspired by his time in Vietnam. I've always admired his world-building more than his characters and plots. Sometimes the flow of the writing is choppy, with expository paragraphs popping up in the middle of the action. This one got off to a slow start, but the rousing finale made up for it. I expect I'll read more of these, but probably not right away.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.