Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR Lunar Readalong for the week of 1419 Solmath 15: The Mirror of Galadriel, Farewell to Lórien, The Great River

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 6, 6:56am

Post #1 of 4 (1519 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Lunar Readalong for the week of 1419 Solmath 15: The Mirror of Galadriel, Farewell to Lórien, The Great River Can't Post

This post is a continuation of my original LOTR Lunar Readalong post.

This week's Readalong covers the remainder of "The Mirror of Galadriel", all of "Farewell to Lórien", and the start of "The Great River".

This year you may be able to catch a glimpse of Venus just after sunset (as long as there are no tall trees or buildings in the way) on the day of "The Mirror of Galadriel" scene (on the 7th this year), but (if I'm using Stellarium correctly) it looks like you'll only have about 15 ~ 30 minutes to catch it before it follows the Sun beyond the western horizon. The Moon is not mentioned in the story for this reading, but this event happens to fall on the day of the Moon's 3rd quarter, which means it will set around noon and not rise again until around midnight. So there would have been no moonlight to interfere with the light of Eärendil (the Evening Star) in the early evening.

Then after the "The Mirror of Galadriel" reading, there will be a reading practically everyday for the next 40 days until the destruction of the One Ring!

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 10, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 4 (1457 views)
Shortcut
No Venus for me during the Mirror of Galadriel scene this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I couldn't catch a glimpse of Venus in my area, even from the top of one of the parking garages at my University. I guess it had already dipped behind the low mountains to the west of me before it was bright enough to be seen by the naked eye.

Based on my amateur observations and my use of the Stellarium app, Venus probably won't be a bright evening star until March or maybe April this year. Then it seems it will be even brighter by September; although I don't know if it will be bright enough to cast a shadow on a moonless night Sly

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 10, 5:32pm

Post #3 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Venus can cast a shadow [In reply to] Can't Post

FYI: It is possible for Venus to be bright enough to cast a shadow.

In fact, it was bright enough to cast a shadow in February last year!

But I still don't know if it will be bright enough anytime this year (but maybe again in 2020?).

Murlo
Rivendell

Feb 18, 2:26am

Post #4 of 4 (1333 views)
Shortcut
"Farewell to Lórien" approximately on a cross-quarter day [In reply to] Can't Post

I just noticed last week that if Mid-year's Day is approximately on the summer solstice, and Shire New Year's Day is approximately on the winter solstice, then the date the Fellowship departs Lórien (Solmath 16) would be approximately on the "cross-quarter day" between the winter solstice and spring equinox.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.