Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Question - do you find that many of your Kindle or other electronic books never get read?

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 5, 11:08pm

Post #1 of 18 (493 views)
Shortcut
Question - do you find that many of your Kindle or other electronic books never get read? Can't Post

I have downloaded some inexpensive books to Kindle because they were either free or I was not sure if I wanted to buy a physical book. BUT, since I prefer physical books, I just don't get around as often to the ebooks. I have several started...but not yet finished.

Thoughts?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 6, 12:01am

Post #2 of 18 (453 views)
Shortcut
I read them almost as soon as I download them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was on the anti-Kindle bandwagon until I actually got a Kindle. I love having my entire library at my fingertips and being able to take it with me. I am constantly reading as a result. It's the best thing that ever happened to waiting rooms! Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 6, 12:30am

Post #3 of 18 (444 views)
Shortcut
That is true, I pop open my phone Kindle app and read in those waiting room situations [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.theguardian.com/...s-look-clunky-unhip-

How eBooks lost their shine: 'Kindles now look clunky and unhip'

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 6, 12:32am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 6, 12:46am

Post #4 of 18 (443 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

Iíd say my ebooks are rather on par with my physical books, in that regard. Iíve always bought more books than I actually read, lol.

But the amount of reading I do has certainly picked up in the years since I started buying ebooks, due to the convenience of carrying it around wherever I go.

Also, I must say itís a lifesaver in terms of space. I simply donít have room on my shelves anymore for anything other than a select number of titles (the next Song of Ice and Fire novel - whenever it arrives - will be one of them).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 6, 12:48am)

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 6, 12:54am

Post #5 of 18 (438 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the shelf problem is a constant one [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep getting told by my wife I will have to get rid of some....and yes, there are some that I have no problem letting go, others, especially hardbacks I tend to keep. I doubt that I will re-read many of them though. We have a "Half Price Books" store that you can trade them to.

So yes, having ebooks in the cloud does solve that issue.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 6, 1:17am

Post #6 of 18 (436 views)
Shortcut
Yep, Iíve some hardcover books that arenít going anywhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

Among them are my beautiful editions of Tolkienís works, the Harry Potter series, the Song of Ice and Fire books, The Killer Angels, Pride & Prejudice and a number of film making of/art books. Most of the rest of the space is taken up by numerous paperback editions of books that I either might not ever revisit or never touched in the first place. Which is not to say the ones I did pick up werenít great reads, but today theyíd be easy Kindle purchases.

Iíve grown fond in the last couple years of reading the new Star Wars novels, but Iíd never be able to consider it without a Kindle. Fun reads, but I couldnít possibly commit my shelf space to so many installments.

Iím already cursing myself for buying the Collectorís Editions of Diana Gabaldonís first two Outlander novels recently, given that thereís 6+ more in the series. But theyíre so gorgeous. Iím definitely going to have to get rid of some lesser titles in the near future.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 6, 1:19am)

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 6, 11:38am

Post #7 of 18 (391 views)
Shortcut
I spent a lot of time [In reply to] Can't Post

in airports adn on planes last year - kindle is wonderful for travelling when you can get through books as quickly as I can!

" Grant me a good sword - but no use for it "

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 6, 1:44pm

Post #8 of 18 (379 views)
Shortcut
*waves* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 6, 1:46pm

Post #9 of 18 (387 views)
Shortcut
Yes - but its not really a Kindle *problem* [In reply to] Can't Post

I read almost exclusively on my Kindle these days. The fact that there are books I purchased that I don't read is more of a function of how easy it is to pick up free/basically free books than a function of not wanting to use the Kindle. i.e. it's a *feature*.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 6, 2:20pm

Post #10 of 18 (386 views)
Shortcut
It's a lifestyle choice. :-p [In reply to] Can't Post

My Kindle is definitely clunky, because I had to get the children's version of the case. The grown up version looked to be made of cardboard and didn't look like it would protect the Kindle very well.

But we all have to make these kinds of lifestyle choices. Tongue
As a mom of two kids approaching a "certain age", I can live with "unhips". Laugh

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 6, 2:20pm

Post #11 of 18 (378 views)
Shortcut
Bro! // [In reply to] Can't Post

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 6, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 18 (387 views)
Shortcut
I subscribe to several services [In reply to] Can't Post

that send me daily emails for free or 99 cent books. You can choose the categories of books you want to receive offers for, so you don't get books you aren't interested in. Plus, I subscribe to several authors' newsletters for the same reasons. I don't always get the books offered, but I do get a lot of them.

I used to get a magazine on the Kindle, but I have found that I prefer the actual paper version to the e version. For one thing, it's hard to adjust the size of the font of a magazine on the Kindle. Even with reading glasses, I have a hard time seeing it.

Belegdir
Lorien

Feb 6, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 18 (367 views)
Shortcut
I have this same problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of the kindle and have several books, both free and purchased, but I don't enjoy reading the device as much as a physical book. I know it's just a mindset, but it's one I have trouble getting over. I will admit that the kindle is perfect when on holiday, but I still go for books for day to day reading.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 6, 7:03pm

Post #14 of 18 (354 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a lot of books on my Kindle that I started and never got through. Plus things I ought to read but haven't. Since they were free, I don't feel the obligation to get them out and start.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 6, 9:03pm

Post #15 of 18 (338 views)
Shortcut
a couple [In reply to] Can't Post

but mostly I read them right away.

I'm not a huge consumer of e-books; I still love physical books best.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 14, 5:10am

Post #16 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
Mine has text-to-speech [In reply to] Can't Post

I listen almost more than I read, when I go to bed, and when I commute, and do housework, etc. It turns chore time into reading time, which I love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 14, 1:31pm

Post #17 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
So what else is new? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a whole closet full of paperbacks and hardbacks I'm intending to read sometime. (Some were bought half a century ago!) My Kindle is slowly accumulating unread books as well.

I can't wait for the next exciting advance in reading technology so I can have even *more* different formats for books I'll never read!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 14, 3:06pm

Post #18 of 18 (258 views)
Shortcut
As you get older you realize you will never read a lot of the books [In reply to] Can't Post

you either own or would like to read. Time is fleeting and depending on your book consumption output per year it rather limits your lifetime goals. Yes, there are physical books staring at me that I have never cracked open. For, I just tend to have them at hand more readily than ebooks.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.