View Results (25 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 24 2018, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 14 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Favorite book by Ursula Le Guin? Can't Post

in honor . . .

If you like a specific book or essay from a series or her collections best, do tell us which one.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 25 2018, 1:05am

Post #2 of 14 (4826 views)
Shortcut
Left Hand of Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

Light is the left hand of darkness,
and darkness the right hand of light.
Two are one, life and death, lying
together like lovers in kemmer,
like hands joined together,
like the end and the way.

Just wow...

Really messed with this poor dumb country boy's sixteen year old mind, but I'm glad it did.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2018, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 14 (4804 views)
Shortcut
Catwings. [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil I've got a soft spot for that one...

Annael
Immortal

Jan 29 2018, 4:36pm

Post #4 of 14 (4761 views)
Shortcut
you who have not read her [In reply to] Can't Post

you have such a huge treat in store for you . . .

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 1 2018, 6:34am

Post #5 of 14 (4610 views)
Shortcut
From Elfland to Poughkeepsie [In reply to] Can't Post

It's her essay about the voice an author uses in writing fantasy. There's a lot about Tolkien in it (she approves) and some other authors she is less approving of. It's snarky and funny and true.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2018, 2:25pm

Post #6 of 14 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Embarrassed to admit I have not read her ... yet [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I’ve read of the many tributes she’s received, the more I’ve realized I’ve been missing out. Hoping the results of this poll give me some idea where I might start with her books.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 1 2018, 3:22pm

Post #7 of 14 (4587 views)
Shortcut
I've read that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a collection of essays on fantasy, Fantasists on Fantasy (1984; Avon Books), that includes that piece; it also includes two entries by Tolkien: "Fantasy" and "To W. H. Auden". Other contributors include: George MacDonald; G. K. Chesterton; H.P. Lovecraft; Sir Herbert Read; James Thurber; August Derleth; C. S. Lewis; Felix Marti-Ibanez; Peter S. Beagle; Lloyd Alexander; Andre Norton; Jane Langton; Mollie Hunter; Michael Moorcock; and, Susan Cooper.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 1 2018, 3:24pm)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2018, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 14 (4572 views)
Shortcut
starting out [In reply to] Can't Post

The Earthsea series is a great place to start: A Wizard of Earthsea is the first. She evolves in her thinking over the 30 or so years she took to write them all, however. The first three are young adult hero quest stories in which she makes certain statements about magic that seem sexist. She started to rethink these ideas in Tehanu, which is for adults, and refined her new thinking later in Tales from Earthsea and The Other Wind. Yet she makes it all hang together and work by very cleverly making the assumptions of her first books INTO the problem that everyone must come together and solve in the last one. And you still love all her protagonists. (There's no truly evil villains in her works.)

The Left Hand of Darkness is my favorite of her "Hainish" novels, her sci-fi works set in a future 'verse where it turns out Terrans as well as most other humanoid races on other planets were seeded millennia ago by the Hainish, a benevolent and curious race. In this particular novel, they seeded one planet with humanoids who are hermaphrodites--neuter most of the time, male or female during their fertile periods (and can go either way). Her sci-fi is true speculative fiction, where she asks "what if life were like this? How would human beings behave?" She wants to get at the essence of what it means to be a person.

And she does it all in the most beautiful prose.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2018, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 14 (4569 views)
Shortcut
You might like [In reply to] Can't Post

The Language of the Night. I do love her essays on writing. I was in a writing group once that worked through her book Steering the Craft and found it most useful.

Attalus
Lorien

Feb 1 2018, 11:03pm

Post #10 of 14 (4542 views)
Shortcut
The Tombs of Atuan... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is my very favorite. I also adore the short story "The Ones Who Walk away From Omelas". As I have previously stated, I do not find The Left Hand of Darkness my dipper of Oolong. Evil

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 2 2018, 1:19am

Post #11 of 14 (4527 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's the book I have. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a lot of good stuff in there. But I like LeGuin's essay the best.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 2 2018, 1:21am

Post #12 of 14 (4529 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I love her essays. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just recently (since her death) discovered that her website has links to several shorter ones that are available online. http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Index-Work.html

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 2 2018, 1:27am)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2018, 9:42pm

Post #13 of 14 (4461 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tips, Annael :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 8 2018, 11:41pm

Post #14 of 14 (4249 views)
Shortcut
Guy Gavriel Kay prefers "The Language of the Night". [In reply to] Can't Post

You can read why Christopher Tolkien's collaborator on The Silmarillion chose that book here, along with the choices of four other Canadian writers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.