Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
In honor of the passing of long-time Reading Room regular drogo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Jan 27, 1:03pm

Post #26 of 45 (3255 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very, very good to see you here at this moment. Forgoing the mandatory hug, but reminiscing together, indeed.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 27, 1:06pm

Post #27 of 45 (3250 views)
Shortcut
I was shocked to hear this news [In reply to] Can't Post

Drogo was a gentle and kind soul. I'm glad I got an opportunity to connect with him. He will most definitely be missed.

Frown

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27, 2:47pm

Post #28 of 45 (3248 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply* Thank you so much for this [In reply to] Can't Post

You have given us (me) a warm, joyful, and lovely way to be with drogo that elevates what he brought to TORn. Such a strong part of what makes this place so incredible. Like Reverend, drogo's passing and knowing he's lost to us is such a shock and so hard to get my head around.

Long ago, I sent him copies of materials on Rackham and Hemingway the library where I worked had developed for the Historical Library's displays highlighting these authors. We joked about how Tolkien's works were catalogued and how I slipped extra notes and subjects into the bibliographic records in our collection.

I recently bought the Encyclopedia... such an incredible work! The depth and reverence of each chapter boggles my mind!

*warm hug* Thanks so much for giving us this gift. And thanks to N.E. Brigand for giving the Fiesta thread this link. Gentlemen of the highest quality.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 27, 6:10pm

Post #29 of 45 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Deconstruction. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the longest, most contentious, and totally unexpected threads in the old Reading Room arose at the passing of famed literary theorist Jacques Derrida in 2004. A few people here were strong advocates of that critic's work, a few others were firmly opposed, while for most of us on the forum, Derrida was at most a name, like news from Bree.

But drogo had met him! Derrida had taught a graduate seminar drogo had taken more than a decade earlier, and they had spent an hour or two over coffee discussing drogo's thesis. Just one more example of the unique perspective drogo brought to these conversations and to our lives.

(For some notes on drogo's contributions to the Mythpoeic Society, see this blog post by David Bratman.)

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 27, 8:05pm

Post #30 of 45 (3219 views)
Shortcut
Very sad to hear, and thank you for the note, Squire. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a sobering thought to consider that the years are flying fast and mortality begins to weigh heavily upon each of us. We are, unfortunately, not blessed with the longevity of the Eldar.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 27, 9:08pm

Post #31 of 45 (3209 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, LR [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my. Your words affected me to the core and now I have tears in my eyes - happy tears, and sad tears blending together. Happy tears reflect the connections so many of us have together whether near or far, old or new; and sad tears for those we have lost.

May the road in front of you shine bright always. Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 27, 9:21pm

Post #32 of 45 (3215 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, squire [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely post. You captured drogo/David to a 'T.' Although gone from TORn in 'real time' lately, his legacy here will live on. Thanks for reminding us of much of it!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28, 2:00am

Post #33 of 45 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always more to this place than any one of us can know. Thanks for a tribute to Drogo that enlarges my fondness for him, and for you, Lu.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28, 3:31am

Post #34 of 45 (3185 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for these, squire. [In reply to] Can't Post

So many "gems" that he left for us, glistening here and there on these Boards and elsewhere.

He has gone on - but he will never leave us.

(Did he really convince you to eat prairie oysters?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28, 3:56am

Post #35 of 45 (3157 views)
Shortcut
They tasted like chicken, I swear. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:

mawguy
The Shire

Jan 28, 4:39am

Post #36 of 45 (3170 views)
Shortcut
lovely tribute [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you, squire!

RIP drogo. it was a privilege to have met him in person. kind, funny, smart man.

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 28, 5:15am

Post #37 of 45 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Prairie Oysters? [In reply to] Can't Post

Barf!Unsure

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 28, 7:37am

Post #38 of 45 (3167 views)
Shortcut
So very, very glad to see you again, Curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

...even on this sad occasion. Hope you are well!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 28, 7:41am

Post #39 of 45 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Drogo actually gave me a copy of the Encyclopedia... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for Christmas some years ago. And I gave him a copy of some signed recent editions, most recently last Summer I got a copy of Beren & Luthien in London signed by Alan Lee and sent it to drogo.He has what is probably a priceless collection of books.

Curious
Half-elven

Jan 28, 4:18pm

Post #40 of 45 (3132 views)
Shortcut
I am well, thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have fond memories of the Reading Room. I learned so much, and met many wonderful people.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28, 6:08pm

Post #41 of 45 (3113 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

And no one would cherish that collection more... :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Felagund
Lorien

Jan 28, 7:00pm

Post #42 of 45 (3112 views)
Shortcut
sad news & namárië [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sad to hear this news. Thanks Squire for your "Namárië" dedication, and for reminding us what a Middle-earth treasure drogo was.

I look forward to reading/re-reading his work.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 28, 11:22pm

Post #43 of 45 (3097 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the memories [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, squire. That Book of the Month question was mine, I see now. David (drogo) was always the kindest person, maybe particularly so to rank amateurs who were just interested in stuff.

Heart

I found the few pics from Mythcon 2008 that were in my phone at the time. There are a couple of David and one or two other RR regulars (at the time, anyhow).

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=127152#127152

Any loss of a friend is hard, but I feel a passing away of things. I am glad you are still here, and all the folks who make and made the RR a haven.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

sador
Half-elven

Jan 30, 6:11am

Post #44 of 45 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for letting us know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've joined TORn when drogo was towards the end of his posting career here, so I didn't get to "know" him as well as some others; but I have fond memories of the posts I've read and the chapter discussions I've participated in (his Fog on the Barrow-downs was arguabaly the first I properly did).

Also thank you - or NEB or anybody else - for informing fellow old-timers, some of which have preceded my time here and others whom I;ve missed for so long.

It is a pity to meet again in such circumstances, but it is what makes us more than just some folk on the internet.

May drogo's memory be blessed, and may he find peace.

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 2, 7:52pm

Post #45 of 45 (2708 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I had no idea he passed and also that he had not posted in 6 years. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to associate his name with current and active posters....but then, 2012 is not that long ago in my mind.

This flu is very nasty taking young and old, otherwise healthy people rather than those who are already compromised, Scary.

RIP Drogo

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.