Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets key, unlocks door* It's time for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 82 (785 views)
Shortcut
*gets key, unlocks door* It's time for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, all and sundry! Our barmistress, Altaira, is waylaid by work today, so I shall be your hostess.

Winter is in a deep freeze in my area, so I've mixed up a kettle of hot cocoa, with mini-marshmallows to float. There's cookies fresh out of the oven, chocolate chip, and oatmeal, and snickerdoodles - and a warm apple-cake!

So come on in, warm up by the fireside, and tell us what's been happening, and what your weekend plans are!

*puts quarters by jukebox*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 6:30pm

Post #2 of 82 (629 views)
Shortcut
Some port [In reply to] Can't Post

Ramos Pinto 20 Tawny if you got it.

Home sick. Sore throat, crud. congestion, chills, dizzy. Been fighting it all week, but crashed and burned this morning, Still, got my annual report all finished yesterday. Yay! Got all weekend to get better.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 6:46pm

Post #3 of 82 (725 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I have some bad news [In reply to] Can't Post

one member of our beloved TORN family has passed away. First known as drogo_drogo, then drogo on these new boards, has recently passed away from complications from the flu.

I first met drogo here on the message boards, primarily in the Reading Room, then in real life at the Marquette conference and the second Toronto Moot. I was fortunate to stay in touch with him over the years through Facebook. I'm very sad to lose my friend and I'll be keeping his friends and family in my prayers.

Farewell, drogo, and hope to see you again beyond the circles of this world.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 6:48pm

Post #4 of 82 (619 views)
Shortcut
I feel like having a hard apple cider, if you please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe it or not, I've been trying to work out some of the details of Lossoth culture (for gaming purposes, natch!). Knowing from the legendarium that they used sleds, I've been trying to determine if those sleds were wholly man-powered or also pulled by dogs or reindeer. I'm leaning towards the idea of the Snowmen keeping small herds of reindeer that could be used to pull sleds or sleighs, with dogs being kept only for hunting and guarding the herds, settlements and camps. Now I need to establish that the Lossoth could have used skis. Tolkien already wrote that they used ice skates; snow shoes also seem perfectly reasonable, but skis? Thoughts?

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 26 2018, 6:58pm)

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 26 2018, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 82 (631 views)
Shortcut
Absent friends [In reply to] Can't Post

I know how you feel, we lost Sister Golden Hair over at Entmoot, and I have had an empty place in my soul ever since. RIP Drogo and SGHFrown

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 82 (625 views)
Shortcut
That is sad news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Condolences for the loss of your friend and our TORNsib drogo. I didn't realize that it has been over six years since his last post. My thoughts and good wishes go out to drogo's family and friends.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 7:02pm

Post #7 of 82 (617 views)
Shortcut
Good news and bad news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting the report done means you can concentrate on taking care of yourself...but sorry to hear that the horrid bug that's going around has caught you!

*pours 24-oz. glass* Here you go, sip it slowly, and hope you can get some sleep!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 7:16pm

Post #8 of 82 (609 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have fond remembrance of meeting him when several of us went to Mythcon 39 in 2008 in Connecticut.

It's too soon to lose him. I grieve for his family and friends.

May it be, that he has found himself walking into a strangely familiar Inn, and found some old friends have already ordered a pint for him...

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Jan 26 2018, 7:18pm

Post #9 of 82 (631 views)
Shortcut
What do we say now? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here from afar, just to say that a lot of us who aren't here much anymore have stayed friends with drogo for all these years and we know and are shocked. Raising a glass today to one of the best men I've ever met. Trying to get my head around that we won't meet again on these shores.

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 7:21pm

Post #10 of 82 (613 views)
Shortcut
Agree, L_R [In reply to] Can't Post

my heart is broken. Drogo was one of the best.

ScoutB

Jan 26 2018, 7:30pm

Post #11 of 82 (621 views)
Shortcut
Our beloved friend drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

The news today has been shocking. Like others, I have been long absent here but met a fabulous group of people on TORn starting in 2002 and have been friends with them since: drogo was one of those people. He was kind and clever and funny and good.

Reera has offered to take his cats, which also reminds me what a great person she is.

Hello to friends of old. I raise a glass to David today. Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 7:34pm

Post #12 of 82 (583 views)
Shortcut
The Icemen Cometh [In reply to] Can't Post

Lossoth on skis: that makes logical sense, especially since they have sleds, which are basically skis with flats or boxes on top!

WhiteAslan
The Shire

Jan 26 2018, 7:35pm

Post #13 of 82 (609 views)
Shortcut
I'm at a loss. [In reply to] Can't Post

My heart breaks.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 7:42pm

Post #14 of 82 (581 views)
Shortcut
Forochel Ski Team [In reply to] Can't Post

Skis have been in use for thousands of years, so there is certainly some precedence. And as noted, the Lossoth were said to use skates and sleds. Strapping runners to one's feet doesn't seem any stranger than doing the same with bone skates. I'll do it!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 8:36pm

Post #15 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
So glad to hear about the cats [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that drogo's family is devastated, especially his father, and glad to know that his cats will find a good home with Reera.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 8:47pm

Post #16 of 82 (573 views)
Shortcut
Stinking hot here [In reply to] Can't Post

with humidity thrown into the mix. We're meant to go over 40 degrees in some places next week which, for NZ, is remarkable. I've been swimming in the sea a few times and the water is warmer than usual - really enjoying that. :)

Something cold to start the day, please barkeep!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 8:48pm

Post #17 of 82 (598 views)
Shortcut
I'm reminded [In reply to] Can't Post

of what a strong community this is, with true friendships that go beyond the discussion boards.

RIP drogo.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 9:27pm

Post #18 of 82 (558 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have the energy to say much else.

Too hot. That's all.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 26 2018, 9:28pm

Post #19 of 82 (575 views)
Shortcut
Marching orders. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought we were going to have a nice, relaxing weekend, but I just got off the phone with the gf, and we will be going to the dinner out and movies tonight. Drat. " Maze Runner." I would have rather gone to see "12 Strong," myself. Unsure

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 9:30pm

Post #20 of 82 (571 views)
Shortcut
Oh, such very sad news. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Drogo from the Reading Room - his was a name always worth watching out for.

May he rest in peace. His loved ones will be in my prayers.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 9:41pm

Post #21 of 82 (574 views)
Shortcut
Terrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll be missed.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 10:01pm

Post #22 of 82 (569 views)
Shortcut
sad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

we tend to think of the flu as no big deal . . . but it is. Take care everyone! WASH YOUR HANDS . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jan 26 2018, 10:06pm

Post #23 of 82 (552 views)
Shortcut
cold here - relatively [In reply to] Can't Post

tons of snow in the mountains, always good for next year's fire season.

I'm dealing with dental issues which means I'm living on soup and smoothies for the next week or so. Upside is I've had some good weigh-ins at Weight Watchers!

Yesterday I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "my face looks weird." Then realized it was the weight loss making my face thinner. Haven't seen that face in quite a while.

We were talking in the meeting about how several of us stopped having knee pain after losing even just a few pounds, and one woman said that her doctor told her that one pound of actual weight translates to several pounds of pressure on the knees (various people chimed in here saying they'd heard to same thing, from 3 to 7 pounds of knee-pressure per pound of weight). So 5 pounds of weight lost could equal anywhere from 15 to 35 pounds less pressure on the knees!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 10:20pm

Post #24 of 82 (547 views)
Shortcut
*makes 2 mimosas, pulls out 2 air conditioners* [In reply to] Can't Post

Portable battery-run air conditioners, hope these can keep you folks cool! Any rain in sight?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2018, 10:23pm

Post #25 of 82 (549 views)
Shortcut
Fortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

the drinks and goodies here have no calories. Good work with the weight loss! Do you have a goal?

I looked back at last week's Fiesta and read about that tooth, good grief, I have never heard of one shattering like that! When will the actual crown be ready?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.