Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Watching the appendices and I was wondering, who is Clive Reville?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 23 2018, 4:24am

Post #1 of 10 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Watching the appendices and I was wondering, who is Clive Reville? Can't Post

He voices Tolkien, and I liked his voice. Now, with his photos he looks somewhat familiar.....actually, rather like Kenneth Branaugh and Ewan McGregor
....https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...83cf1784c24a7532.jpg

https://image.tmdb.org/...8xtd1aWZClDdzZ3E.jpg

Plus Palpatine https://www.scifihistory.net/...live-revill_orig.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 23 2018, 4:26am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 23 2018, 4:59am

Post #2 of 10 (4035 views)
Shortcut
It is also interesting, as has been discussed before, [In reply to] Can't Post

how in the LOTR appendices, they stayed close to the books and there are scenes that were considered, like in Moria that could have been very wild.....aka Goblin Town....but it was pulled back.

Of course later, with The Hobbit, and the need to fill out the story, plus the lure of technology etc. PJ in many viewers minds went over the top too often.

He seems more grounded and immersed in the LOTR story.
Contrast the need in The Hobbit to both, stay faithful but add a lot. Where he stays pretty faithful, he succeeds. Some of the invented scenes are terrific...others well, enough has been said on that topic.

It is also fun to watch technology advance...the computers - cutting edge at the time....are now so outclassed.

Q - when was the last appendices Watch Through?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 23 2018, 4:59am

Post #3 of 10 (4030 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

To me he looks like David Warner (Time Bandits (1981)).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Revill

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2018, 8:43am

Post #4 of 10 (4013 views)
Shortcut
My parents had the recording [In reply to] Can't Post

of the first Broadway production of Oliver! on vinyl (when that was state-of-the-art and not retro), so he was my first (and still favorite) Fagin. I grew up listening to it and I liked to study the album notes while listening, so I feel like I've known his name forever. But I only occasionally encountered him in other roles over the years; in Star Wars, in a filmed stage version of The Mikado, and almost certainly in a few bit parts in TV shows where I didn't recognize him out of heavy makeup.

Looking at his IMDB page, he's obviously one of those who have had a long career on stage and screen without ever becoming really "known". A classic character actor, in other words.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

mcnpauls
The Shire

Jan 23 2018, 10:56am

Post #5 of 10 (4010 views)
Shortcut
He's a superb actor with real range, charisma and a great, versatile voice. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's still working, too - he appeared in a major Spanish movie last year playing a John Ford-like movie director. He also voiced Thorin in a videogame of the Hobbit.

Can do comedy, tragedy, good or evil and a whole range of accents.

What is the version of the appendices you have been watching?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 23 2018, 3:16pm

Post #6 of 10 (3997 views)
Shortcut
The Extended Edition version [In reply to] Can't Post

Legomir
Rivendell

Jan 23 2018, 6:51pm

Post #7 of 10 (3973 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen Clive Revill in much [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've heard his voice in a couple video games and cartoons, especially when I was younger. (There's a Marvel video game where he does a better Doctor Doom than any live action actor has so far.) Actually, to me, he WAS Thorin. I loved the way he voice him in The Hobbit video game from 2003, to the point that I was worried about whether or not I'd be impressed by Richard Armitage, just because I was so used to Revill. (That ended up not being a problem at all, because Armitage was amazing.)

He was also in The Legend of Hell House, a British horror film from the 70s. I really like it, even though I'm not sure why because it's incredibly cheesy.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2018, 1:57am

Post #8 of 10 (3941 views)
Shortcut
I know of him only as the voice of the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that is, the real The Empire Strikes Back, not the George "I just can't help myself" Lucas messed up version. Unimpressed

But I did recognize his name in the LotR appendices as the "voice" of Tolkien. I'm sorry to say I don't know of his other work, though perhaps I should rectify that. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 24 2018, 1:58am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 1 2018, 3:11am

Post #9 of 10 (3799 views)
Shortcut
The miniatures and bigatures are a favorite section....amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

The section on WETA Digital will of course reflect the technology of the time but the principles are the same. The Balrog science of flame is so complex.

One scene that I always notice as a "tell" is when the company starts to run across the bridge in Khazad Dum....Boromir shot from behind, sort of has an odd, stutter motion before getting to speed.

It is clear to me the PJ of LOTR was more restrained which I think many of us appreciated. Of course, he had a few moments of excess, but nothing like in The Hobbit films.

http://www.dearcastandcrew.com/...ll-william-cook.html Randall William Cook interview - I note he was not involved with Kong or The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 1 2018, 3:19am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 1 2018, 3:32am

Post #10 of 10 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Jamie Selkirk says they shot 5,000,000 feet of film and used 3.5M [In reply to] Can't Post

So theoretically, there is 1.5M feet of footage sitting in a can.

They said the first cut would be 4.5 hours long! Still want to see that or a Super Extended Edition. A lot of non-Frodo centric film was trimmed away. I still wish we had the "7 min" Prologue intended.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 1 2018, 3:37am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.