Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Can hobbits swim? 'Mordor under the sea' found off Australia

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 22, 4:21pm

Post #1 of 8 (283 views)
Shortcut
Can hobbits swim? 'Mordor under the sea' found off Australia Can't Post

http://www.foxnews.com/...d-off-australia.html

Can hobbits swim? 'Mordor under the sea' found off Australia
By Brandon Specktor, Senior Writer | LiveScience

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 22, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 8 (262 views)
Shortcut
Like bricks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 22, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 8 (264 views)
Shortcut
Only the Brandybucks and Stoors..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 22, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 8 (242 views)
Shortcut
At least one Brandybuck couldn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Only the Brandybucks and Stoors.....

Well, Primula Brandybuck could not swim well enough to save her and her husband from being drownded! 'Course, some as say that she pushed him over the side of the boat an' he pulled 'er in after.

In any case, I have a hard time seeing Frodo seeking Mount Doom in a deep-sea diving suit.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

squire
Half-elven

Jan 22, 11:09pm

Post #5 of 8 (228 views)
Shortcut
Click bait infects even labs, now. [In reply to] Can't Post

The article is very unclear just what made one of the researchers think of Mordor when preparing the press release. Something about the 3-D imagery being reminiscent of "illustrations" of Mordor; something about jagged peaks, etc.

Needless to say, after that headline, there's absolutely no connection with Tolkien at all. The pictures don't even look like Mordor's distinctive "walled" geography to me, at least. Enjoy the abstract:

Submarine lava flows are the most common surficial igneous rock on the Earth. However, they are inherently more difficult to study than their subaerial counterparts due to their inaccessibility. In this study, we use newly acquired 3-D (three-dimensional) seismic reflection data to document the distribution and morphology of 26 ancient, buried lava flows within the middle Eocene-aged Bight Basin Igneous Complex, offshore southern Australia. Many of these lava flows are associated with volcanoes that vary from 60 to 625 m in height and 0.3 to 10 km in diameter. Well data and seismic-stratigraphic relationships suggest that the lava flows and volcanoes were emplaced offshore in water depths of <300 m. The lava flows range from 0.5 to 34 km in length and 1 to 15 km in width and are typified by tabular and dendritic forms. This morphological variation may result from differing lava effusion rates and/or the volumes of lava erupted. We demonstrate that: (1) the dendritic flows contain complex lava distribution systems and kipukas, features never-before observed from seismic data; and (2) the distribution and morphology of the lava flows was strongly controlled by the emplacement of magmatic intrusion-induced forced folds. This suggests that magmatic intrusions may play an important role in controlling the distribution of lava flows elsewhere. Our study highlights the usefulness of seismic data in studying the manifestation of submarine volcanism, and provides quantitative data on the extent and distribution of an ancient submarine volcanic province along the southern Australian margin.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 22, 11:25pm

Post #6 of 8 (221 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is just a way to grab attention and it worked. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 23, 12:27am

Post #7 of 8 (208 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

With those tootsies the annual Hobbiton/Bywater Bywater Pool Water Polo Tourney brought crowds from as far away as Bree-land.

. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 23, 1:20am

Post #8 of 8 (206 views)
Shortcut
Those feet are natural flippers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of Sam sinking like a stone though....too many pots and pans in his kit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.