LOTR - Unfilmed Scenes Casting?

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 22 2018, 6:58am

Post #1 of 6 (3744 views)
Shortcut
LOTR - Unfilmed Scenes Casting? Can't Post

Heya,

We were re-reading LOTR with my wife, and as I came to the chapter "In the House of Tom Bombadil", I suddenly had a funny thought.

One of the acclaimed achievments of the LOTR movies is the casting. As a matter of fact, when I first saw the trailer, my reaction was "Yes! This is it!". So I was wondering.

Let's just suppose the scenes from the book not present in the film (like the aforementioned Tom Bombadil) were actually filmed but just didn't make the cut. Whom would you cast as the characters in those scenes? Any deleted character - from Tom Bombadil and Goldberry up to Beregond, Ioreth and Prince Imrahil.

There are no limitation as for the time period or country for the actors (it'll make it more interesting). However, it should still fit with the existing cast.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jan 22 2018, 6:58am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22 2018, 8:16am

Post #2 of 6 (3725 views)
Shortcut
I think Emma Thompson would have a good go at Ioreth. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is she a magnificent actress but also she has a deft knack for crackpottery that's endearing rather than annoying. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 22 2018, 8:16am)

mcnpauls
The Shire

Jan 23 2018, 11:07am

Post #3 of 6 (3647 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil, Goldberry and Ioreth casting suggestions are in my other thread in this section of the forum [In reply to] Can't Post

We must be telepathically linked! I said in my "enhanced LOTR cast" thread that I'd love to see these three characters back in my "dream" versions of LOTR. My concept is to select the very best actor (in my opinion) who has played each character from all of the radio, TV, animated and film adaptations.

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry - Ian Hogg and Sorcha Cusack (from the BBC radio "Tales from the Perilous Realm" dramatisations.) Both superb actors.

Ioreth - the wonderful Prunella Scales played her in the 1955 BBC radio series.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 24 2018, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 6 (3615 views)
Shortcut
Bergil [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always thought young Daniel Radcliffe (as he was in the first HP movie) would have made a delightful Bergil.

I'm not much for picking actors most of the time, but I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

I've always thought Tom Bombadil would be really hard to cast, as he has to be able to combine a certain amount of craziness with a mysterious and wise depth. Some who have played The Doctor in the past might pull off the role, though I don't think any of them have quite the right look, I suppose make-up could fix that. Of course, I'd never have picked Seven to be Radagast, either.

Sadly most of those I think of (like Radcliffe) are no longer of the right age to play the roles I'd put them in.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 24 2018, 5:48pm

Post #5 of 6 (3616 views)
Shortcut
Ioreth [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh! That's a good pick, though I've always pictured Ioreth as portly, and Emma Thompson is rather slender. But personality can trump looks!

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 3 2018, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 6 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Kristofer Hivju as Tom Bombadil. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got the facial hair for it.

I always follow my job through.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.