Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18, 12:27pm

Post #1 of 25 (2812 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that looks at the description of Crickhollow... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Three Is Company: The Fellowship of the Ring
..."...a little house at Crickhollow in the country beyond Bucklebury... ...on the eastern borders of the Shire...

From A Conspiracy Unmasked: The Fellowship of the Ring

... ...It was some distance from the Brandywine to Frodo's new house at Crickhollow. They passed Buck Hill and Brandy Hall on their left, and on the outskirts of Bucklebury struck the main road of Buckland that ran south from the Bridge. Half a mile northward... ...to a lane opening on their right. This they followed for a couple of miles as it climbed up and down into the country.
... At last they came to a narrow gate in a thick hedge. Nothing could be seen of the house in the dark: it stood back from the lane in the middle of a wide circle of lawn surrounded by a belt of low trees inside the outer hedge. Frodo had chosen it, because it stood in an out-of-the-way corner of the country, and there were no other dwellings close by. You could get in and out without being noticed. It had been built a long while before by the Brandybucks... ...It was an old-fashioned countrified house, as much like a hobbit-hole as possible: it was long and low, with no upper storey; and it had a roof of turf, round windows, and a large round door...
... ...they walked up the green path from the gate... ...They slipped in quickly... ...They were in a wide hall with doors on either side; in front of them a passage ran back down the middle of the house...
... ...Many of [Frodo's] own favourite things--or Bilbo's things... ...were arranged as nearly as possible as they had been at Bag End. It was a pleasant, comfortable, welcoming place...

... ...The travellers hung up their cloaks, and piled their packs on the floor. Merry led them down the passage and threw open a door at the far end. Firelight came out, and a puff of steam.
... 'A bath!' cried Pippin...
... ...Merry and Fatty went into the kitchen on the other side of the passage..."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 18, 12:30pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19, 11:23am

Post #2 of 25 (2748 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the next few days, let's look at some Book Spoilers of how Sauron regained his power… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From OF THE RINGS OF POWER AND THE THIRD AGE: The Silmarillion

..."Thus the Exiles of Númenor established their realms in Arnor and in Gondor; but ere many years had passed it became manifest that their enemy, Sauron, had also returned. He came in secret… …to his ancient kingdom of Mordor beyond the Ephel Dúath, the Mountains of Shadow, and that country marched with Gondor upon the east. There above the valley of Gorgoroth was built his fortress vast and strong, Barad-dûr, the Dark Tower; and there was a fiery mountain in that land that the Elves named Orodruin. Indeed for that reason Sauron had set there his dwelling long before, for he used the fire that welled there from the heart of the earth in his sorceries and in his forging; and in the midst of the Land of Mordor he had fashioned the Ruling Ring. There… …he brooded in the dark, until he had wrought for himself a new shape; and it was terrible… …his fair semblance had departed for ever when he was cast into the abyss at the drowning of Númenor. He took up again the great Ring and clothed himself in power; and the malice of the Eye of Sauron few even of the great among Elves and Men could endure.
...…Sauron prepared war against the Eldar and the Men of Westernesse, and the fires of the Mountain were wakened again. Wherefore seeing the smoke of Orodruin from afar, and perceiving that Sauron had returned, the Númenóreans named that mountain anew Amon Amarth, which is Mount Doom."

January 19, 2001
1. The Fellowship of the Ring peeks over the hedge.... The first FotR trailer is officially released on the internet.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20, 12:32pm

Post #3 of 25 (2715 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the 2nd Book Spoiler of this set of 3 that tells of a great alliance... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."And Sauron gathered to him great strength of his servants out of the east and the south; and among them were not a few of the high race of Númenor. For in the days of the sojourn of Sauron... ...the hearts of well nigh all its people had been turned towards darkness. Therefore many of those who sailed east in that time and made fortresses and dwellings upon the coasts were already bent to his will, and they served him still gladly in Middle-earth. But because of the power of Gil-galad these renegades, lords both mighty and evil... ...took up their abodes in the southlands far away; yet two there were, Herumor and Fuinur, who rose to power among the Haradrim, a great and cruel people that dwelt in the wide lands south of Mordor beyond the mouths of Anduin.
...When therefore Sauron saw his time he came with great force against the new realm of Gondor, and he took Minas Ithil, and he destroyed the White Tree of Isildur that grew there. But Isildur escaped, and taking with him a seedling of the Tree he went with his wife and his sons by ship down the River, and they sailed from the mouths of Anduin seeking Elendil. Meanwhile Anárion held Osgiliath against the Enemy, and... ...drove him back to the mountains; but Sauron gathered his strength again, and Anárion knew that unless help should come his kingdom would not long stand."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 20, 12:32pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21, 1:56pm

Post #4 of 25 (2672 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the last Book Spoiler of this set that tells of the alliance of the wise and the fall of the mighty... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."Elendil and Gil-galad took counsel together, for they perceived that Sauron would grow too strong and would overcome all his enemies one by one, if they did not unite against him. Therefore they made that League which is called the Last Alliance... ...they marched east into Middle-earth gathering a great host of Elves and Men; and they halted for a while at Imladris. It is said that the host that was there assembled was fairer and more splendid in arms than any that has since been seen in Middle-earth, and none greater has been mustered since the host of the Valar went against Thangorodrim.
...From Imladris they crossed the Misty Mountains by many passes and marched down the River Anduin, and... ...came at last upon the host of Sauron on Dagorlad, the Battle Plain, which lies before the gate of the Black Land. All living things were divided in that day, and some of every kind, even of beasts and birds, were found in either host, save the Elves only. They alone were undivided and followed Gil-galad. Of the Dwarves few fought upon either side; but the kindred of Durin of Moria fought against Sauron.
...The host of Gil-galad and Elendil had the victory... ...the might of the Elves was still great in those days, and the Númenóreans were strong and tall, and terrible in their wrath. Against Aeglos the spear of Gil-galad none could stand; and the sword of Elendil filled Orcs and Men with fear... ...it shone with the light of the sun and of the moon, and it was named Narsil.
...Then Gil-galad and Elendil passed into Mordor and encompassed the stronghold of Sauron; and they laid siege to it for seven years, and suffered grievous loss by fire... ...darts and bolts of the Enemy, and Sauron sent many sorties against them. There in the valley of Gorgoroth Anárion son of Elendil was slain... ...But at the last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own... ...Sauron was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22, 11:54am

Post #5 of 25 (2655 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [While Gandalf deals with the Balrog in the mountain.]
(not from the appendices)
..."They remained some days in Lothlórien, so far as they could tell or remember.... ...The air was cool and soft, as if it were early spring, yet they felt about them the deep and thoughtful quiet of winter. It seemed to them that they did little but eat and drink and rest, and walk among the trees; and it was enough.
...They had not seen the Lord and Lady again, and they had little speech with any of the Elven-folk; for few of these spoke any but their own silvan tongue. Haldir had... ...gone back again to the fences of the North, where great watch was now kept since the tidings of Moria that the Company had brought. Legolas was away much among the Galadrim, and after the first night he did not sleep with the other companions, though he returned to eat and talk with them. Often he took Gimli with him when he went abroad in the land, and the others wondered at this change."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23, 11:41am

Post #6 of 25 (2629 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. [As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
(from the appendices)
..."''Long time I fell... ...Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart... ...it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
...'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk... ...Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel....""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24, 11:27am

Post #7 of 25 (2588 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
[As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf continues to pursue the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
..."'Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair... ...it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.""

January 24, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Hobbiton is busy healing the hurts of Saruman.
..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 11:12am

Post #8 of 25 (2561 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf casts the Balrog from the mountain, but passes away afterwards. His body lies on the peak.
(from the appendices)
..."'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world... ...Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightening... ...smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire.... ...A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell...'"

[Gandalf does not return to "life" for 20 days. This part of the story continues on February 14.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Murlo
Rivendell

Jan 25, 3:12pm

Post #9 of 25 (2561 views)
Shortcut
A 3-day Battle of the Peak? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
January 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
[As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf continues to pursue the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.

The Tale of Years (Appendix B) lists this entry for 'January 23':

Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirakzigil

I read this to mean that Gandalf pursued the Balrog since 'January 15', until finally on 'January 23' they emerge at the peak of Zirakzigil.

So if I'm interpreting this entry correctly, that would make this "Battle of the Peak" a 3-day battle ending on 'January 25'!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26, 5:30am

Post #10 of 25 (2548 views)
Shortcut
You're right! This need work and input! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I initially did this (in 2003), I had thought of them coming up to the stairs and coming through to their Battle on the 25th. You brought up a really good point (THANK YOU!!!)... so I did some looking around.

Tolkien Gateway has them fighting atop the peak for 2 days and 2 nights before Gandalf defeated the Balrog and passed away himself.
The Encyclopedia of Arda has them fighting for 2 days.
One Wiki to Rule Them All has a 3-day battle (which makes more sense for 23-25 (3 days))

Now, how to get 2 days (and 2 nights) out of 3 calendar days might happen if they break through late in the evening of the 23rd, fight all day on 24 & 25 giving us the 2nd night of fighting on the 24th. However, in the text I get the impression they break through in the daytime:

'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world. The sun shone fiercely there, but all below was wrapped in cloud. Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. [pg 134-135 TT]

Which means day fight on the 23rd and evening, day of 24th and evening ending the battle in the middle of the night.

I also know that if one site says somethings and it shows up in other places, they're just resourcing each other... as I'm kinda doing, too ;) Although, Encyclopedia of Arda and Tolkien Gateway tend to be really good sources. BUT, imho, I think the Battle lasted 3 days.

IDEAS ANYONE?

I plan to move around the information I have in my January 23rd post and move the text from the 24th into that spot. I'm going to do some more figuring on this, but I'm very-much open to input or info about this 10-day period as Gandalf and the Balrog battled.

I've also found text in Tolkien Gateway that Gandalf's body lay on the mountain top for 19 days... then another 3 days until Gwaihir picked him up. I'm going to check on that, too. So input on that is also welcome :)

Thanks so much, Murlo! Good Catch! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 26, 5:31am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26, 6:49am

Post #11 of 25 (2531 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of the Peak [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi gramma. Let's start with the quote you cited from The Two Towers:

'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world. The sun shone fiercely there, but all below was wrapped in cloud. Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame.'

Now, let's look at the timeline in Appendix B, as it applies here:

January 23: "Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil."
January 25: "He casts down the Balrog, and passes away. His body lies on the peak."

When Gandalf and the Balrog emerge from the mountain, the sun is high in the sky. Let's say for the sake of argument that it is around midday or early afternoon on January 23. They fight through the remainder of that day, all through the next, and Gandalf puts down his foe on January 25. That gives us a battle that lasts approximately two days or so.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 26, 6:50am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26, 11:22am

Post #12 of 25 (2516 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]
..."Now as the companions sat or walked together they spoke of Gandalf, and all that each had known and seen of him came clear before their minds. As they were healed of hurt and weariness of body the grief of the loss grew more keen. Often they heard nearby Elvish voices singing, and knew that they were making songs of lamentation... ...for they caught his name among the sweet sad words that they could not understand.
...Mithrandir, Mithrandir sang the Elves, O Pilgrim Grey! For so they loved to call him. But if Legolas was with the Company, he would not interpret the songs for them, saying that he had not the skill, and that for him the grief was still too near, a matter for tears and not yet for song."

Lament for Gandalf
(featured in Lothlórien)
(Solo by Elizabeth Fraser)

(Sindarin)

In gwidh ristennin
i fae narc hannen
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwannen

Mithrandir, Mithrandir! A Randir Vithren!
U-reniathach i amar galen
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen

(Chorus in Quenya)

Ilfirin nairelma nauva i nauva
Ilfirin nairelma ar ullume nucuvalme
Nauva i nauva melme nóren sina naire lma

(Sindarin text)

'The bonds cut,
the spirit broken
The Flame of Anor has left this World'

Mithrandir, Mithrandir, O Pilgrim Grey!
No more will you wander the world green.
Your journey in darkness stopped.'

(Quenya text)

'Undying [is] our regret, [it] will be what will be [or 'What should be shall be']
Undying [is] our regret and yet we will cast all away,
[It] will be what will be, love for this land [is] our regret.'

Lothlórien
(performed by Elizabeth Frazer)

A Olórin i yaresse… (Olórin who once was…)
Mentaner i Numeherui (Sent by the Lords of the West)
Tírien i Rómenóri… (To guard the Lands of the East…)
Maiaron i Oiosaila, (Wisest of all Maiar,)
Manan elye etevanne (What drove you to leave)
Nórie i malanelye? (That which you loved?)
Ú-reniathach (No more will you wander)
I amar galen (The green fields of this earth)
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen (Your journey has ended in darkness.)
In gwidh ristennin, (the bonds are sundered,)
i fae narchannen (the spirit is broken)
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwennen. (The flame of Anor has left this world.)
Calad veleg, ethuiannen. (A great light, has gone out.)

(Choir text)

Melme nóren sina (Our love for this land)
núra ala (Is deeper that the deeps)
Eäro. (of the sea)
Ilfirin nairelma (Our regret is undying)
ullume nucuvalme. (Yet we will cast all away, rather than submit)
Nauva i nauva... (What should be shall be.)

[From Magpie's Nest: Credit for these lyrics and notes goes to TheOneRing.net; Language in The Lord of the Rings Movie by Galadhorn – elvish.org which is linked through TheOneRing.net; an article in Music from the Movies, number 42; Warner Brothers sheet music; Lord of the Rings Soundtrack inserts]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 26, 11:24am)

Murlo
Rivendell

Jan 26, 3:41pm

Post #13 of 25 (2500 views)
Shortcut
3 calendar days vs. 48 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem, grammaboodawg!

I agree that they came out onto the peak during the day on the 23rd. I think the story makes it clear it was daytime (on the 23rd according to Appendix B); but Gandalf doesn't make it clear what time of day the battle ended, so I'm just assuming it was sometime during the day (on the 25th according to Appendix B).

I'm calling it a "3-day battle" because, as you pointed out, it occupies 3 calendar days: 23, 24, and 25.

So while the duration of the battle could be approximately 48 hours in length (~noon on the 23rd to ~noon on the 25th: which is probably why Tolkien Gateway and The Encyclopedia of Arda are only giving "2 days"), you can still say the battle occurred over 3 days and 2 nights (like how a hotel would charge for a stay).

Or to phrase it similar to Legolas' phrasing in the chapter The Last Debate: they battled for two "days and nights, and into a" third.

As far as how long his body stayed on the mountain before he returned to it: I think it depends if you accept the date of his return as 'February 14' as originally given in Appendix B. So that's a duration of 19 days (or 20 calendar days and 19 nights, if you prefer). I think editions after 2004 (I don't own one yet) have amended that entry in Appendix B to 'February 15', because as Hammond and Scull's Reader's Companion points out, the story makes it clear that the "Mirror of Galadriel" scene takes place the night before the Fellowship leaves Lothlorien, and the following dates depend on their departure on the 16th. So I guess they amended both the "Mirror of Galadriel" and Gandalf's return to 'February 15' in Appendix B of the latest editions. In that case, his body lays on the mountain for a duration of 20 days before he returns (or 21 calendar days and 20 nights).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27, 7:36pm

Post #14 of 25 (2479 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a special QUICKBEAM BIRTHDAY BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Birthday, Quickbeam! May you forever find reason to be hasty. :D

Here's a Book Spoiler for our very own Quickbeam... Happy Birthday, Oh Hasty One... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Two Towers

..."'Hm, hoom, here I am again,' said Treebeard. 'Are you getting weary, or feeling impatient, hmm, eh? Well, I am afraid that you must not get impatient yet. We have finished the first stage now… ...I have brought you a companion. He has an ent-house nearby. Bregalad is his Elvish name. He says he has already made up his mind and does not need to remain at the Moot. Hm, hm, he is the nearest thing among us to a hasty Ent. You ought to get on together...' ...Treebeard turned and left them.
...Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and legs; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. He could bend and sway like a slender tree in the wind. At last he spoke, and his voice though resonant was higher and clearer than Treebeard's.
...'Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!' he said. 'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname... ...They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!'
...He reached down two shapely arms and gave a long-fingered hand to each of the hobbits. All that day they walked about in the woods with him, singing, and laughing; for Quickbeam often laughed. He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring... ...he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 27, 7:48pm

Post #15 of 25 (2471 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, Quickbeam! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many happy returns Smile

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28, 3:36am

Post #16 of 25 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of the day, Quickbeam! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28, 2:07pm

Post #17 of 25 (2411 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien.
..."It was Frodo who first put something of his sorrow into halting words. He was seldom moved to make song or rhyme; even in Rivendell he had listened and had not sung himself... ...But now as he sat beside the fountain in Lórien and heard about him the voices of the Elves, his thought took shape in a song that seemed fair to him; yet when he tried to repeat it to Sam only snatches remained, faded as a handful of withered leaves.

When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to Western shore,
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
and Fire and Shadow both defied;
is staff was broken on the stone,
in Khazad-dûm his wisdom died.

...'Why, you'll be beating Mr. Bilbo next!' said Sam.
...'No, I am afraid not,' said Frodo. 'But that is the best I can do yet.'
...'Well, Mr. Frodo, if you do have another go, I hope you'll say a word about his fireworks... ...Something like this:

The finest rockets ever seen:
they burst in stars of blue and green,
or after thunder golden showers
came falling like a rain of flowers.

Though that doesn't do them justice by a long road.'
...'No, I'll leave that to you, Sam. Or perhaps to Bilbo. But—well, I can't talk of it any more. I can't bear to think of bringing the news to him.'"

[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 465-465 FotR: Lord of the Rings]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28, 2:31pm

Post #18 of 25 (2406 views)
Shortcut
There's a wonderful post by Kethry [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a great conversation on this topic from the Reading Room by Kethry: Battle of the Peak

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29, 11:17am

Post #19 of 25 (2373 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

This is part-1 of a 2-part Book Spoiler that looks at the Rangers of Ithilien... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit: The Two Towers

... [Speaking to Faramir] "'Farewell!' said Frodo, bowing low. 'Think what you will, I am a friend of all enemies of the One Enemy. We would go with you, if we halfling folk could hope to serve you, such doughty men and strong as you seem, and if my errand permitted it. May the light shine on your swords!'
... 'The Halflings are courteous folk, whatever else they be,' said Faramir. 'Farewell!'
... The hobbits sat down again... ...Close by, just under the dappling shadow of the dark bay-trees, two men remained on guard. They took off their masks now and again to cool them, as the day-heat grew, and Frodo saw that they were goodly men, pale-skinned, dark of hair, with grey eyes and faces sad and proud. They spoke together in soft voices, at first using the Common Speech, but after the manner of older days, and then changing to another language of their own. To his amazement, as he listened Frodo became aware that it was the Elven-tongue that they spoke, or one but little different; and he looked at them with wonder, for he knew then that they must be Dúnedain of the South, men of the line of the Lords of Westernesse.
... After a while he spoke to them; but they were slow and cautious in answering. They named themselves Mablung and Damrod, soldiers of Gondor, and they were Rangers of Ithilien; for they were descended from folk who lived in Ithilien at one time, before it was overrun... ...such men the Lord Denethor chose his forayers, who crossed the Anduin secretly... ...to harry the Orcs and other enemies that roamed between the Ephel Dúath and the River.
... 'It is close on ten leagues hence to the east-shore of Anduin,' said Mablung, 'and we seldom come so far afield. But we have a new errand on this journey: we come to ambush the Men of Harad. Curse them!'"

[continues tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30, 12:04pm

Post #20 of 25 (2291 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part-2 of a 2-part Book Spoiler that looks at the Rangers of Ithilien as they speak with Sam and Frodo about the Men of Harad... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit: The Two Towers

... "'...curse the Southrons!' said Damrod. ''Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship.... ...'Tis many lives of Men since any passed to or from between us. Now of late we have learned that the Enemy has been among them, and they are gone over to Him, or back to Him—they were ever ready to His will—as have so many also in the East. I doubt not that the days of Gondor are numbered, and the walls of Minas Tirith are doomed, so great is His strength and malice.'
... 'But still we will not sit idle and let Him do all as He would,' said Mablung. 'These cursed Southrons come now marching up the ancient roads to swell the hosts of the Dark Tower. Yea, up the very roads that craft of Gondor made. And they go ever more heedlessly... ...thinking that the power of their new master is great enough, so that the mere shadow of His hills will protect them. We come to teach them another lesson. Great strength of them was reported to us some days ago, marching north. One of their regiments is due... ...to pass by, some time ere noon—up on the road above, where it passes through the cloven way. The road may pass, but they shall not! Not while Faramir is Captain. He leads now in all perilous ventures. But his life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end.'
... Their talk died down into a listening silence. All seemed still and watchful. Sam, crouched by the edge of the fern-brake, peered out With his keen hobbit-eyes he saw that many more Men were about. He could see them stealing up the slopes, singly or in long files, keeping always to the shade of grove or thicket, or crawling, hardly visible in their brown and green raiment, through grass and brake. All were hooded and masked, and had gauntlets on their hands, and were armed like Faramir and his companions. Before long they had all passed and vanished."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31, 11:21am

Post #21 of 25 (2252 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 1 of a 3-part Book Spoiler as we look at one of Appendix B's Tales from the Third Age… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

APPENDIX B: THE TALE OF YEARS

(CHRONOLOGY OF THE WESTLANDS)

The Third Age

..."These were the fading years of the Eldar… …long they were at peace, wielding the Three Rings while Sauron slept and the One Ring was lost; but they attempted nothing new, living in memory of the past. The Dwarves hid… …in deep places, guarding their hoards… …when evil began to stir again and dragons reappeared, one by one their ancient treasures were plundered, and they became a wandering people. Moria… …long remained secure, but its numbers dwindled until many of its vast mansions became dark and empty. The wisdom and the life-span of the Númenoreans also waned as they became mingled with lesser Men."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1, 12:14pm

Post #22 of 25 (2225 views)
Shortcut
It's time for yet more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 2 of a 3-part Book Spoiler as we continue to look at one of Appendix B's Tales from the Third Age… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Third Age

... "When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth. It was afterwards said that they came out of the Far West… …messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or… …to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear.
... They came therefore in the shape of Men, though they were never young and aged only slowly… …they had many powers of mind and hand. They revealed their true names to few, but used such names as were given to them. The two highest of this order (… it is said there were five) were called by the Eldar Curnír, 'the Man of Skill', and Mithrandir, 'the Grey Pilgrim'… …Men in the North Saruman and Gandalf. Curinír journeyed often into the East, but dwelt at last in Isengard. Mithrandir was closest in friendship with the Eldar, and wandered mostly in the West, and never made for himself any lasting abode."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 1, 12:15pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2, 1:31pm

Post #23 of 25 (2202 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 3 of a 3-part Book Spoiler as we finish looking at one of Appendix B's Tales from the Third Age… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Third Age

... "Throughout the Third Age the guardianship of the Three Rings was known only to those who possessed them… …at the end it became known that they had been held at first by the three greatest of the Eldar: Gil-galad, Galadriel and Círdan. The ring of Gil-galad was given by him to Elrond; but Círdan surrendered his to Mithrandir… …Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.... 'Take this ring, Master… …for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill… …as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores until the last ship sails. I will await you.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2, 2:26pm

Post #24 of 25 (2202 views)
Shortcut
What a comfortable home [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, to just put on the kettle, cook a bit of dinner, and sit by the fire, snug and warm, shutting out the wide world around...

Sometimes I think this must have been even harder to leave, than Bag End! Especially when you know that not very far away, there is Darkness, and if you leave, you must deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11, 2:02pm

Post #25 of 25 (2035 views)
Shortcut
Sweet, simple comfort. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're so right! Especially after they had a taste of some of the danger with their encounter with the Black Rider, and living hard (or so they thought).

You know how wonderful a warm bath is after a long, cold challenge... then food and a warm fire in a safe home. *sigh* You're so right!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.