Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What happened to The Wind in the Willows??

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 16 2018, 3:21am

Post #1 of 11 (586 views)
Shortcut
What happened to The Wind in the Willows?? Can't Post

Back in 2010 Weta announced that they were working on The Wind in the Willows with Ray Griggs and that it would star Ricky Gervais. There was later news that the movie would be made using live-action blended with miniatures and animatronics.

After a long wait they eventually released a short announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xj5WJxC6d4

Since then there has been no news. Does anyone know if it was cancelled or postponed.. or in really, really long development? The director hasn't done anything since...

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2018, 8:24am

Post #2 of 11 (538 views)
Shortcut
They must have gotten interested in something else. Poop-poop!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 16 2018, 6:08pm

Post #3 of 11 (522 views)
Shortcut
"In development" [In reply to] Can't Post

The script supposedly is a mess, featuring a post-apocalyptic conflict between the mutated animals of the Willows and the remnants of mankind. (Described as "Mad Max: Furry Road" by some Hollywood insiders.) WETA apparently sold off all the production artwork. Griggs has gone on to create pitch packages for other projects, such as a film biography of Al Capone and a film adaptation of Tom Sim's 2008 novel Repo Elf (about elves who repossess toys from naughty kids who were only pretending to be nice), but otherwise no actual film-work.

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 16 2018, 6:11pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 16 2018, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 11 (503 views)
Shortcut
That sounds awful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dying in development is probably for the best.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2018, 8:50pm

Post #5 of 11 (487 views)
Shortcut
I can see that film being made. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
a film adaptation of Tom Sim's 2008 novel Repo Elf (about elves who repossess toys from naughty kids who were only pretending to be nice).

Unfortunately.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Belegdir
Lorien

Jan 19 2018, 4:40pm

Post #6 of 11 (430 views)
Shortcut
Dreadful [In reply to] Can't Post

I would avoid that if it ever happened. Glad it's dead.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 19 2018, 5:17pm

Post #7 of 11 (428 views)
Shortcut
bleagh [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose Gervais was being considered for Mr. Toad. I confess that for me the book lost most of its charm as soon as Mr. Toad came on the scene; I much preferred hanging with Rat, Mole, & Badger.

I did a fair amount of whitewater rafting & kayaking in my wild youth and EVERYONE who is into that sort of thing walks around saying "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 19 2018, 6:23pm

Post #8 of 11 (425 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Ironically, the most wonderful and beautiful chapter in the book, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", has nothing to do with Mr. Toad, and so is neglected in most adaptations:

Also ironically, the upcoming bio-pic of Kenneth Grahame is titled Banking on Mr. Toad:

http://variety.com/...-mr-toad-1202606417/

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 19 2018, 6:47pm

Post #9 of 11 (420 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Toad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suppose Gervais was being considered for Mr. Toad. I confess that for me the book lost most of its charm as soon as Mr. Toad came on the scene; I much preferred hanging with Rat, Mole, & Badger.

I did a fair amount of whitewater rafting & kayaking in my wild youth and EVERYONE who is into that sort of thing walks around saying "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

I agree. Mr. Toad is an excrescence. When I was reading the book to my boys, I left out the parts with him in it.

Oh, and I have seen tee shirts with that quote printed on them.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Belegdir
Lorien

Jan 19 2018, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 11 (411 views)
Shortcut
Not fond of the title [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll see it just because Brian Blessed will be in it.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 21 2018, 1:35pm

Post #11 of 11 (367 views)
Shortcut
Gervais was cast as Mole... [In reply to] Can't Post

Weta released bookends that show their character designs... https://www.wetanz.com/...s-bookends?ref=brand

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.