Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday? *check* Fiesta!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jan 13, 1:01pm

Post #26 of 51 (532 views)
Shortcut
Found it! PHEW. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lying in bed racking my brains, trying to conjure up mental images of where it might be, and a particular little tin popped into my mind. I finally unearthed it at 1.30am in a box full of bits from a half-finished fabric Christmas decoration-making project from a year ago! That's how long it is since I did any quilting. What a relief!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 13, 3:52pm

Post #27 of 51 (527 views)
Shortcut
Eruvandi's first TORn post of the year! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant for this to happen last week, but had a total brain fart and forgot, whoops!

Sorry you and B.G. have had colds, Altaira! I'm glad you're feeling better and hope B.G. gets better fast! I've managed to only get a couple very mild, transient stomach bugs so far this winter. With all the flu stuff going around I've been outright paranoid about hand sanitizer, hand washing, not touching my face, wiping off grocery carts, and eating ALL the vitamin C foods, and it seems to be working so far. :)

The first two weeks of the year have been good. My parents and I ended up watching (and enjoying!) the old BBC comedy "Good Neighbors" to kill the time until Midnight on New Years Eve and then watched the ball drop on TV.

We also went to see The Last Jedi on the 2nd like we'd planned, and we really, Really, REALLY liked it! It was just a really deep, thoughtful movie, but also managed to stay fun, and just...YUS! We liked it so much we'd see it in theaters a second time if tickets weren't so expensive, but since they are, we'll just snatch up the DVD when it comes out.

This week has been a bit quieter, but it's been so stinking cold we haven't wanted to go out a lot, plus we had snow on the ground from about Wednesday last week to Tuesday this week. Last Sunday was said to be the coldest day of the year and it was -10F that morning. Then, on Tuesday through Friday we got that warm up and the highest temperature we got at our house was 65, which was SO NICE!!! But now the cold has come back and it dropped to 30 overnight. *le sigh* Such is the nature of...nature, I guess. :p

On the craft front, I've made a pair of earrings and I'm about to finish a super long crochet scarf. On the writing front, I've been working on a short story. There's a fun annual event on a writing forum I frequent where people who want to participate sign up and post a prompt for a story they would like to read. The event organizer then matches participants to prompts and on Christmas day you get your assigned prompt in your inbox. The twist is, you can't tell whose prompt you got because there's a guessing game at the end of the event where people get to guess who wrote what. It's all a total secret and you go and write a story based on the prompt you got, and near the end of February (assuming no one needed an extension on the loose deadline) everyone sends their stories to the event organizer and he e-mails your story to the person whose prompt you were assigned, and YOU get a story based on the prompt you gave, and you get to find out who wrote your story and there's much squeeing and happiness and thanking people and getting thanked and it's just a really fun time of stretching your skills and bonding with your fellow writers. Smile

I'm doing pretty well on my story and am hoping to have it done by Monday, or if not then, then within this next week. Shouldn't be much more than 4,000 words long as I have actually managed to keep it short. (There's no limit on word count. You could write a thousand word flash fiction, or some of the faster people have even churned out novella-length works. It's all acceptable and your giftee just appreciates that you put forth the effort at all.) Once that's done and I've edited it and sent it in, I'll get back to my original fantasy novel, and I'm also thinking of trying to tackle my Sleeping Beauty retelling idea this year. Maybe I'll alternate working on one story one month and the other story the next month so I don't have to drop one to work on the other.

Well, I hope everyone is having a good year so far, and that those who are healthy stay healthy, and those who aren't get better soon! Have a good weekend!

Noel, Noel, Jesus is alive
Emanuel, hope is here tonight
So go, and tell, the world that death has died
'Cause Jesus is alive, yeah Jesus is alive
Sin you have no sting
Hell you have no power
Curse you are no more
This is your final hour
Because the son of God, has not left us alone
He'll live and die and rise again, and then he'll bring us home
The old will pass away
And we will become new
This baby boy is making all sad things untrue.
"Jesus is Alive" - Josh Wilson

cats16
Valinor

Jan 13, 6:48pm

Post #28 of 51 (515 views)
Shortcut
You don't look a day over 5! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sending you virtual worms, knowing that your country's lovely customs agents would not appreciate a wormy surprise via FedEx.

Happy TORNiversary!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jan 13, 6:58pm

Post #29 of 51 (512 views)
Shortcut
Holiday weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear you're feeling human again! I went through a whole box of Emergen-C when I was home for the holidays, just to avoid picking up anything.

Blergh, I'm already ready for another winter break. Work's got me exhausted. Very thankful to have Monday off.

Planning to visit the LA Art Show this weekend. It's a huge event that showcases several hundred galleries' artists all in one convention center hall. Talking with the artists is fun, and the people-watching is first-rate!

Probably will check out the last couple of awards-y movies I haven't seen yet. Has anyone else gotten Movie Pass? Mine's in the mail.

Okay, time for some toast followed by a quick late-morning nap. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 14, 12:43am

Post #30 of 51 (507 views)
Shortcut
Tempus fugit. Where? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know where time goes. It's scary.

The Cave of Kai, if you believe Lord Dunsany... Unsurehttp://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/tago/tago09.htm

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:01am

Post #31 of 51 (495 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeet!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when that happens! I've done it enough times to know it's often fruitful :D

That is so cool. BANG! There it is in your mind and in an innocent little tin.... CONGRATS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:23am

Post #32 of 51 (492 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

TEN YEARS! :D Congratulations! Hasn't this been the funnest places EVER!?!

Here's to 10 + 10 + 10 more years!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:26am

Post #33 of 51 (495 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

HOWDY- HI! :D Now THAT is a bird of incredible talent! It's SO great to see you :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:30am

Post #34 of 51 (491 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You have been at it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The railing, the avoidance of injury and phlegm, and great strides in your story! I'm impressed :D

I hope you have a safe, well, action-packed weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:37am

Post #35 of 51 (493 views)
Shortcut
So glad you missed the mess! [In reply to] Can't Post

That really does make sense that the bacteria would work on several levels. A fascinating process!

It's strange how visiting the site of historic battles or drama become more real when you actually put yourself in that place. I went with my 9th grade class to visit Gettysburg where I first really began to understand what it all meant. Then I went again with my daughter and g'kiddies when they were about the same age.... and the impact of being there with them and having more reverence for what happened there still sets me back. Very powerful.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 3:44am

Post #36 of 51 (489 views)
Shortcut
Let the tree stand! [In reply to] Can't Post

Give them kitties an adventure! That's so funny :D Suddenly, the tree starts shaking and pitching!

That so cool how many kids are involved in the MLK parade. A lock-in for the night before is a great way to build on the celebration :D

Have a wonderful time... and best of luck on the appointment ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 4:05am

Post #37 of 51 (489 views)
Shortcut
A new twist to Secret Santa :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great idea!

YOU LIKE STAR WARS!!!! I'm so glad! It's definitely one of those films that MUST been seen on the BIG screen. And I'll never be able to repress a *snigger* when I hear of someone being on hold again ;) Some very interesting twists to several relationships, too. I went back for a second viewing, and I'm so glad I did. Got a lot more out of it and appreciated many nuances.

The last time I tried knitting something was also a long scarf... Dr Who's ;) I'm so impressed that you can juggle so many stories at the same time... like one inspires the other. Good luck on your progress!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 14, 4:08am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14, 4:13am

Post #38 of 51 (486 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy your last couple of days of quiet :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I take Zicam the way you take Emergen-C. It really does work!

You can get lost for hours in an Art Show like that! What a great way to get inspired and spend some quality time :D I hope you have a wonderful time! Hand in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14, 6:06am

Post #39 of 51 (464 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma XXX // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14, 6:08am

Post #40 of 51 (470 views)
Shortcut
Very scary [In reply to] Can't Post

Wherever the time goes, give it back to us, precious!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14, 6:20am

Post #41 of 51 (468 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of wormsees,...

cats16
Valinor

Jan 14, 5:35pm

Post #42 of 51 (424 views)
Shortcut
There goes my appetite for the day! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14, 6:07pm

Post #43 of 51 (424 views)
Shortcut
We used to be very poor about teaching NZ history. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what it's like in our schools today but the first time I was taught NZ history was in my last year of high school (aged 17/18), when few students took history. I was stunned the first time I was taken to battle sites, having been unaware that such things had happened within a 10-minute drive of where I live.

It's no wonder we have such divisive arguments over the Treaty of Waitangi and the rights of Maori when knowledge of our past is a little thin among many older Kiwis.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 14, 8:51pm

Post #44 of 51 (413 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes: [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to take Texas History in the seventh grade. And it lasts two semesters. Don't recall getting bored except toward the end, when you had to learn the current governor, and our state Senators and Representatives, and various governmental agencies. Surprisingly, the Railroad Commission handles gas and oil allotments. Who knew?
Well, twelve year old me learned and has never forgotten..

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14, 9:09pm

Post #45 of 51 (411 views)
Shortcut
There's an occasional discussion here [In reply to] Can't Post

about having civics included in the school curriculum as a way of increasing vote participation. I remember when I was trying to get into journalism I thought that writing about local government would be boring, as I had no idea how it touched every aspect of our daily lives. Crazy

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 14, 9:28pm

Post #46 of 51 (405 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was up to me, you would have to pass a US History and Civics course to register to vote. 67 percent of US college students can't name all three branches of the US government.Mad

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15, 2:17am

Post #47 of 51 (385 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's really amazing that so little is taught; but I'm finding my g'kiddies weren't taught what I was. Student assistants working in the university library where I worked didn't know about Pearl Harbor. *staggers* Who knows why educators choose what to share. It's all so important and defines who we are.... hence, as you said... arguments about treaties and such.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 15, 4:17am

Post #48 of 51 (374 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about high schools, [In reply to] Can't Post

but this year our cluster spent a whole term on a 'Change-makers' unit, which was based around learning about how the people at Parihaka were change makers.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16, 12:20am

Post #49 of 51 (347 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of your TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

A decade, already? Half a score, a tenth of a century?

And we're so glad you've been here, through the good and the sad! *hugs*

Now, where's that "dirt pie", I should stick some "sour gummi worms" in it...Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16, 4:47am

Post #50 of 51 (341 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! And here's a pretty thing (a late mathom of sorts): [In reply to] Can't Post

10 years of earthquakes in 20 seconds. All 20,000 of them...Crazy

It's pretty interesting, though - you can really see where those plate boundaries are.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.