Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday? *check* Fiesta!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 51 (806 views)
Shortcut
Friday? *check* Fiesta!! Can't Post

Hello and welcome to Fiesta Friday!

How has the second week of the year been treating you? I spent last weekend and most of this week battling the horrendously-horrible-killer-death cold that's been going around this area. When B.G. ventured to the store to restock cold meds and orange juice he said the cold med aisle was packed with hacking, coughing sneezing people, and the OJ had been all but cleared out, lol. Laugh I'm starting to feel human now, but I gave it to him, so this weekend will be spent taking care of him and getting more rest.

How about your? Are you staying healthy? Surviving the cold/hot/rainy/dry weather in your area? Grab a nibble from the Fiesta buffet and order up your fav virtual drink, and let us know!

*puts quarters on the juke box* play us something cheerful!

Happy, healthy, fun weekend, everyone! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 51 (724 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez! I'm so glad you're feeling better! [In reply to] Can't Post

But woe is B.G. :( I don't think he caught it from you...let's say he caught it in the hack n' cough isle! :D I hope he feels better very soon!

I've been fortunate enough to miss out on all the cold and flu season stuff. I take Zicam whenever I'm amongst human beings and use lots of hand sanitizer. We'll see how well I fare after working one of those all-day tests tomorrow (Sat).

We broke out of the dangerous cold for about 4 days, but the temps will be back in the teens tomorrow (Sat.) We had 50 degrees out yesterday! I got a lot of outside stuff done, fersher!

I hope everyone stays well or recovers quickly! I'll just grab some hot chocolate and head back into the cold. My hobbity suv is getting worked on today, so I'm on foot wandering the streets until they're done. LOVE this public library!

Thanks Altaira! Cheers Everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 12, 5:19pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 51 (720 views)
Shortcut
Confusticate and bebother these colds! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're recovering well, Altaira, and do give B.G. our sympathies, this is a nasty bug! I concur with gramma, he got it from the coughing-and-sneezing aisle at the store.

Might I have a cup of tea, please? Earl Grey, if it's handy. I've got my two daughters, plus the boyfriend of one of them, here visiting for a week, so after-work hours have been busy with going places or just hanging around and chatting! The boyfriend asked me to show him how to make applesauce, he was delighted, and then he requested some recipes. He's a meat-cutter, and likes doing a bit of cooking.

Rain here, and the snow is melting, melting! Has yours stuck around?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:33pm

Post #4 of 51 (714 views)
Shortcut
Are you getting that snowstorm? [In reply to] Can't Post

We've got the 50's now, so it's rain here. This morning was foggy from the snow evaporating!

I wish my service station were closer to town, it would be nice to visit the little shops while waiting! Our library was once along the main street, but has moved to a newer complex, and the building it was in is now a children's museum (I took the kids there all the time when they were little).

Stay safe in the cold, gramma!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:34pm

Post #5 of 51 (714 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha! Thanks for the sympathy. I'm pretty sure I caught it at one of my clients who's office was a walking infirmary the last time I was there. Unsure

Oooh, so you're out adventuring today while the SUV is in the spa? There's not a people spa you could hang out at for a while? On second thought, never mind. Something tells me you're happier in a library or book store than a spa.

Enjoy the rest of your adventures, and the weekend! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 51 (712 views)
Shortcut
Family visits! [In reply to] Can't Post

How nice to have the girls there for the week, and that boyfriend sounds like a real gem. Our snow is gone, as it's been pretty warm here this week (40's into the 50's). All the better to slowly, piece-by-piece, drag in the outside Xmas ornaments during what I call 'lucid' moments, lol. Laugh

Enjoy the rest of your visit! Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jan 12, 5:46pm

Post #7 of 51 (720 views)
Shortcut
No nassty cold germs here [In reply to] Can't Post

despite having two grandsons who can usually be guaranteed to bring all manner of bugs home with them from school. All right so far! *crosses fingers* I am however going to have a weekend of searching... was just about to start machine quilting my latest project this morning when I realised I couldn't find the little cover that goes under the foot and enables me to do free motion quilting. Lossst! My machine is over 40 years old, so spares are unlikely to be available. I've checked the obvious places; next, anywhere else in the vicinity. Drinking lots of tea; snacking on cut-price post-Christmas fudge (chocolate with cherries) and listening to Ladysmith Black Mambazo with Paul Simon - the old ones are the best! Have a good weekend, folks. Cheers!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 51 (711 views)
Shortcut
Good luck, searching [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it's around there somewhere. Have you checked under your stash of cut-price holiday goodies? WinkLaugh I hope you find it soon and enjoy a full weekend of quilting and sweet treats to keep up your energy!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:02pm

Post #9 of 51 (708 views)
Shortcut
Thankfully, no [In reply to] Can't Post

The shop is about a mile from this small college town... lots of little shops. The edge of the storm is about 30 miles south of me. We got about 2 inches overnight and all the melted stuff froze (lots of school closings); but not as bad as I expected.

Enjoy the warm! A nice break... and tease ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:03pm

Post #10 of 51 (709 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

You know me too well :) Charge that client DOUBLE! Hazard Pay!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:06pm

Post #11 of 51 (706 views)
Shortcut
What a neat family :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And that boyfriend sounds like a winner! WOW! :D

Stay well and don't forget to get some down time for yourself. Rest will keep the cooties away! ;)

Have a wonderful time with your brood!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 51 (708 views)
Shortcut
Lost! Precious is lost! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez... that footer plate has GOT to be somewhere! Could it have fallen down in the machine by the bobbin stuff? I'm no seamstress (accent the STRESS), but my Mom was excellent at putting things together. Maybe you could find another of those just for parts? So frustrating when you finally get ready to work on something, and it gets waylaid!

I hope you find your footer-thingy and that you stay well :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 12, 7:43pm

Post #13 of 51 (706 views)
Shortcut
I'm radioactive! [In reply to] Can't Post

After years of dithering I finally made the decision to take radioactive iodine to de-hyperize my thyroid (I'm sure that's not a word, but it should be). So all this week I've had to avoid people (and my cats, one of whom meowed piteously at my door for an hour the first night), flush the toilet three times per use, etc. Now I'm fit for consumption again and washing everything I slept on or wore all week.

It will take months to see if this 1. fixes the problem (40% odds), 2. makes me hypothyroid (50% odds) or 3. doesn't quite do the job and I'll need another dose. But my nuclear med doctor (SWEETEST MAN IN THE WORLD! I adored him) thinks I should do well and maybe end up needing just a titch of thyroid hormone every day.

I have to carry a letter from him for the next couple of months because I could set off alarms at security checkpoints!

I'll take an Angel Mist please - we're in the raw cold of January. Had a huge snowstorm that dumped a foot or more in the mountains yesterday, but here it's just rain.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 7:55pm

Post #14 of 51 (700 views)
Shortcut
Nuclear doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

is a really cool job title. Cool

Good luck with the results of the medication! I'm amazed at what medicine can do for us these days - the dad of a friend had radiated ... something ... in his groin for treating prostate cancer and he had to stay away from his grandchildren for several months. He's doing great these days.

Radiation, judiciously applied, can do wonders. I hope it works out that way for you. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 8:11pm

Post #15 of 51 (700 views)
Shortcut
Ach, sorry to hear about the cold. [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds awful.

I managed to avoid any colds or flu this year for the first time since ... maybe always. I put it down to the flu jab and taking live bacteria for gut health (following a gastric illness) - something I'll be repeating this winter. The live bacteria, I mean, not the gastro. *touch wood*

It's been muggy as heck here, but at least we're not cold. Yesterday I took a drive down south to an 1860s battle site of the warrior Titokowaru, which he won against a colonial force through cunning and deception as much as by skill. Today it's a campground. The banality of history, eh?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12, 8:33pm

Post #16 of 51 (702 views)
Shortcut
I've been here for 10 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, not continuously (just in case anyone was wondering).
Where did the time go? Please can I have a hot chocolate and a few nice worms while I contemplate this...

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 12, 8:47pm

Post #17 of 51 (688 views)
Shortcut
Some pink catawba [In reply to] Can't Post

Stone Hill winery if you got it.

Got railing on the front steps finished, except need to paint over the welds when it gets warmer.

Got a bit feverish and wheezy from congestion last weekend, but it quickly passed. Right knee bad this morning, but I walked it off.

Beta readers found my latest chapter of “The Dancing Mage” hilarious, especially the salty language of the half-orc female Shilo and the grizzled priest Dars. (Modeled after a couple of people I know who could sear paint off a tank while never repeating themselves or using an F-bomb.) Not to mention spoiled little rich brat Rose’s first encounter with a communal slit trench latrine. Clover’s initial loathing is slowly developing into a sisterly empathy for the cruelly abandoned girl. (“The pity of Clover may rule the fate of many.”) The readers were especially intrigued by Clover’s dream at the end. (The raiders gave out a rich meal of cheese and spicy sausage just before their captives went to sleep so of course she had a very lucid dream!) I’m being very careful to keep anything mystically prophetic out of her dreams. Her dreams will merely give clues as to how she’s processing the day’s events and what might motivate her future actions. A resource I'm using is Diana Wynne Jones' The Tough Guide To Fantasyland (as recommended by TORnsibs flying fish and RosieLass) to keep myself aware of fantasy tropes so I can avoid, embrace, or subvert them.

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 8:58pm

Post #18 of 51 (681 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Chocolate and worms? Well, if you insist...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...A/s1600/100_4361.JPG

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 12, 9:08pm

Post #19 of 51 (682 views)
Shortcut
here you go [In reply to] Can't Post

Just happen to stop by and had these handy.

Actually, it's 3 degrees F. The only worms handy would be bait worms but since folks are sitting on the ice fishing even in below zero weather, I assume there are worms somewhere in Minnesota. I think leeches might be more popular though. *looks around for some handy leeches*

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12, 9:23pm

Post #20 of 51 (668 views)
Shortcut
Delicious! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12, 9:24pm

Post #21 of 51 (673 views)
Shortcut
Raw...and wriggling! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yummo, thanks Magpie.
Lovely to see you. Keep warm. Smile

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 13, 1:04am

Post #22 of 51 (637 views)
Shortcut
Friday Fiesta? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cold, clear, and windy, here. The North Wind can go away as soon as it suits him.

Okay, the gf is home, and is changing out of her scrubs so we will probably turn on the music and have a bottle or two of wine. When we run out of that, the Scotch is still handy. Everybody have a good weekend.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13, 4:48am

Post #23 of 51 (620 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where time goes. It's scary.

Storm clouds

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 13, 6:58am

Post #24 of 51 (618 views)
Shortcut
preparing for a Martin Luther King Jr lock-in [In reply to] Can't Post

with some high school students Sunday night before they join the city's parade Monday. San Antonio has one of the largest marches in the USA, though chilly weather and a doctor appt. will keep me from marching. The speeches will be broadcast.

Our Christmas tree is still up despite at least two attempts to scale it by one of our cats. As the tree is artificial, at this rate we may leave it up till Groundhog Day (Candlemas)!

Best wishes for continued or regained health to all TORnsibs.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 13, 9:56am

Post #25 of 51 (604 views)
Shortcut
Think of what you're saving on electricity! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

At least... that's what I told my daughter when she had that treatment ;) I really hope it works for you! She had her thyroid removed (cancer) when she was pregnant with her daughter (19 years ago). They did that iodine treatment after the baby was born. I had both kids for the time of her quaranteen... and it turned out great!

It helps if your doc is a sweetie! I"m glad you've decided to just do it and get 'er done. Now you can move on and check that off your list of things to do. Isn't it amazing to have this show you what kind of footprint you have during your day-to-day?

Cheers, m'dear!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.