Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One more question about Hobbit, will it be the kiddy version of LOTR?

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 30 2008, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 21 (409 views)
Shortcut
One more question about Hobbit, will it be the kiddy version of LOTR? Can't Post

Is this going to be like Star Wars Episode 1 for LOTR fans? Where the end is better than the beginning? Or are our expectations going to be fulfilled? If it's done right, we should see an action-filled adventure movie with lots of fighting and stuff. I don't believe Del-Toro would dumb down Hobbit, but did anyone think George Lucas would make Episode 1 of Star Wars into a 12 and under movie?

Personally my expectations are that Del-Toro will build on my perceptions of Hobbit with breathtaking action and suspense, beautiful landscapes, awesome CG animations, etc. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOBBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waiting this long deserves a reward. Get it right, Del-Toro!!

Mmmmmm....somethin' smells good!!!!! Could it be cookies baked in a tree?

Keebler's Website

Those were good cookies.....TIME TO HUNT SOME ORC!!!!!!!!!

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 30 2008, 10:23pm

Post #2 of 21 (250 views)
Shortcut
NOPE!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

...While GdT is on the job, I certainly can't see any of that (kiddifying) happening. The Hobbit won't be a hacker\slasher, though, either. Hopefully it will just be The Hobbit ...plus maybe some bits & pieces from the Appendicies and Unfinished Tales. With PJ, Fran, Phillipa, and "Del-Toro" all collaborating, I think they'll get it right. :)

{OT: Wish I could comment on SW, but it's just too far off the point. -mwirkk}

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

squire
Valinor

May 1 2008, 1:05am

Post #3 of 21 (249 views)
Shortcut
"an action-filled adventure movie with lots of fighting and stuff" [In reply to] Can't Post

That would not be what I hope the movie will be. Because that doesn't begin to describe the book.

"breathtaking action and suspense, beautiful landscapes, awesome CG animations"

That sounds nice, but if the movie doesn't feature Bilbo Baggins ("The Hobbit" - get it?), and how he grew up to finally become a child again, all the directorial and special-effects techniques in the world won't save the film from utter obscurity in ten years, when filmmaking fashions have changed, as they always do.

Will it be just for kiddies? I doubt it. But if I can't take a nine-year-old to it with the expectation that he or she will enjoy it without being bored, confused, or terrified, I'm going to be pretty angry.

Because I will have just read that nine-year-old the book, he or she will have loved it, and then we will want to go to see the movie, together.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

May 1 2008, 3:18am

Post #4 of 21 (241 views)
Shortcut
Clarification.............. [In reply to] Can't Post

when I say action-filled adventure movie, I mean the parts where the spiders attack the dwarves and Bilbo, the trolls, the encounter with the cave-goblins, Smaug, and the battle of the 5 armies. Thats the action hack-n-slash part. The adventure part is the whole movie where the dwarves and Bilbo go on an ADVENTURE to regain the Lonely Mountain. If thats not an adventure, I dunno what one is. So it should be a combo of hack-n-slash, Shire, and adventure!!!!! It should be a great movie for both kids and adults!!!!!! PJ and GDT should do a great job.. I'm not worried, I was just looking at it from a certain view.

Keebler's Website

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 1 2008, 8:59am

Post #5 of 21 (229 views)
Shortcut
Oh God I hope not! [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Parker
The Shire

May 1 2008, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 21 (211 views)
Shortcut
It will be dark [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards - you have a great place here...

Here is an excerpt from a recent MTV interview on this topic -

http://www.mtv.com/.../1586421/story.jhtml

MTV: Do you view "The Hobbit" as a children's story?
Del Toro: I view it as such generally. It belongs on that shelf on the bookshelf. But what is quite touching and miraculous to me about it is that it also reflects the transition from innocence to the loss of innocence. It is a story about a beautifully carefree creature who learns about war and violence. The movie turns darker as it progresses. Don't expect me to do "The Neverending Story." I feel that my zone of comfort is perfectly met with this film — otherwise I wouldn't do it.

My opinion is that Del Toro will be making PG-13 films with some very dark moments . I think a good reference might be the third Harry Potter film (Azkhaban) by GDT's friend Cuaron.

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 1 2008, 10:18pm

Post #7 of 21 (176 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still hope that Tolkien meaning is left in there. Violence shouldn't be added just to add violence. There's much more than action in this book (friendship, loss, and finding yourself)!

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 1 2008, 10:19pm

Post #8 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
*gag* [In reply to] Can't Post

Please don't mention Harry Potter here please, it's my one haven away from him! Wink

Empedocles
Rivendell

May 1 2008, 11:04pm

Post #9 of 21 (180 views)
Shortcut
Request [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Please don't mention Harry Potter here please, it's my one haven away from him! Wink

As you requested, I won't mention his name, but like probably you've been doing all this time, I refused to read it for like seven years or something because I thought it was for kids, that Rowling had stolen a lot of things from Tolkien, etc., until a friend of mine basically forced me to read it. Once you're past the first two books, I swear to you there's no turning back, and I speak from experience. Wink

Guillermo!! Give us back Glorfindel!!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2008, 11:36pm

Post #10 of 21 (174 views)
Shortcut
Heck, [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hooked after the first par - and that was after resisting reading them for a few years.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 2 2008, 12:49am

Post #11 of 21 (172 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well maybe I will give them a try... It's just that a lot of people seem to bring up HP when I bring up LOTR and compare them... To me it's like comparing trash to treasure. Like one is epic and one is a momentary phenomenon. So I wonder if HP is really worth reading... Maybe I will try and start!

I saw some cartoon a ringer drew and put on this website once.... Frodo was sitting next to Harry... Frodo said "It's ok Harry, maybe one day you'll grow up to be Gandalf" and patted him on the shoulder. :]]

Parker
The Shire

May 2 2008, 2:26am

Post #12 of 21 (188 views)
Shortcut
The comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

...I was making was more about Cuaron's cinematic direction in the Azkhaban film. Thematically, it had a great balance of fantasy and wonder vs. darkness and fear. I wasn't attempting to make a direct comparison of Tolkien and Rowling. That's a whole other thread. Wink

However, I really enjoyed the HP books. Good stuff and a lot of fun.

Starling
Half-elven

May 2 2008, 8:21am

Post #13 of 21 (150 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the first one and was left with no desire to read another.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2008, 12:05pm

Post #14 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
I've read them several times [In reply to] Can't Post

and loved all of them. I plan to read the whole series again. But, like the recent discussion in Off Topic about Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, we welcome diverse opinions on TORN and we try to stay away from judgemental comments about opinions from other board members.

If you want to stay away from Harry Potter, TORN might not be the right place for that. There are many people here who like Harry Potter, and the books and the movies are occasionally part of the discussion. There are also people who don't like the Harry Potter series, and we've all found a way to co-exist peacefully.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

May 2 2008, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 21 (133 views)
Shortcut
I like a dark Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a darker Hobbit would be nice. Sure would be fun to watch.

Keebler's Website

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 2 2008, 8:51pm

Post #16 of 21 (121 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was joking, so don't take me seriouslySmile Sorry if I offended ya though!

I get lotsa jokes about my Tokien Craziness thrown at me and I laugh along and throw jokes back. A lot of my friends and family love Harry Potter and we joke around all the time about it, so really I meant no harm. Hey, gotta love HP fans! :]

(This post was edited by ringbearer9 on May 2 2008, 8:56pm)

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 2 2008, 9:08pm

Post #17 of 21 (109 views)
Shortcut
So.. [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry if I offended ya, that's just always how I've veiwed them, like Highschool musical, the youth love it and it's not as good as everyone says, you know? But I probably will try them and hey I'm not saying they are not good, I can't I haven't read them! Smile

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

May 2 2008, 9:34pm

Post #18 of 21 (105 views)
Shortcut
Both are Treasure to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Treasure for different reasons:

LotR (& all Tolkien works) feeds my soul & my mind

Harry Potter feeds my heart and fills me with wonder, awe and delight.

Harry grows up with each book, unlike traditional children's books. Along with Harry growing up, the author's writing grows up.... and the story grows up and deeper, far deeper and multi-layered. The first 2 books realy do read more like kids books compared to books 3–7, though at the time I first read them, I was mezmerized and it didn't feel that way.

After book 3, however, Harry's world grows far more serious and dangerous and much deeper. At this point, the reader begins to discover that all the books are one long narrative story spanning 7 years... one year per book. Harry gets tested in so many ways. Each book has it own story, but all are part of the greater story... just like life itself.

It is no small thing that millions of aults all around the world love Harry Potter. Many kids came to Harry through adults who discovered him first. I introduced my then 8-year-old granddaughter to HP in 2001.

My first read through, I minimized the books, compared to LotR, but I kept going back to revisit them, I couldn't stay away. As subsequent books came out (5, 6, 7), and I read them multiple times, I realized that there is much more to them then one sees at first. The 7th book cements that. I doubt that these books will ever fade away.

You really can't compare LotR to HP... apples and oranges... and no rip-off either. Both authors dipped from the same cauldron of myth but scooped out different things and put together a recipe completely unique... as different from each other as from other books. I don't really consider them 'children's' books.

I hope you do try them.

Harry Potter Search on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/...rry+Potter+&x=7&y=13

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2008, 9:50pm

Post #19 of 21 (105 views)
Shortcut
I love High School Musical too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's silly, but it's a good silly, and a very easy way to spend a couple hours. I'm not that fussed by labels, and I tend to enjoy things because I like them and not because they fit into a particular box or people different from me also like them.

So I'm not offended at all - rather I was trying to give you a heads-up that you might be disappointed if you think TORN is a HP-free haven.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 23 2008, 12:52am

Post #20 of 21 (108 views)
Shortcut
Great [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I think I will try them! :]

Away in Europe!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

May 23 2008, 6:07pm

Post #21 of 21 (89 views)
Shortcut
Great [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me know ho wyou react... Have a great holiday. Smile

DoN

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.