The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
East Wind, Rain?

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 8 2018, 8:29pm

Post #1 of 20 (3689 views)
Shortcut
East Wind, Rain? Can't Post

I have been reading from TFotR and note two references to the East Wind, both derogatory, one from Merry with agreement from Aragorn, and another from Gimli, and Aragorn says that in Gondor they endure the East Wind but do not sing of it. Is this some Britishism, or am I missing something? Here in Texas, the East Wind is welcomed as a sign of rain, but apparently in Middle-earth, it is cold. In the Bible, the east wind is the one which is mentioned most often and it is generally described as a very strong, hot and dry wind. https://rrkelkar.wordpress.com/...-winds-of-the-bible/

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

squire
Half-elven

Jan 8 2018, 9:08pm

Post #2 of 20 (3636 views)
Shortcut
Enduring the East Wind in England [In reply to] Can't Post

"Whew, it’s as cold as the North Pole. Which way is the wind blowing?”

And as he said that, Mr Banks popped his head out of the window and looked down the Lane to Admiral Boom’s house at the corner. ....

“Ha!” said Mr Banks, drawing in his head very quickly. “Admiral’s telescope says East Wind. I thought as much. There is frost in my bones. I shall wear two overcoats.” -
Travers, (1934). Mary Poppins, chapter 1.

I've never forgotten that bit in the book whereby the cold, harsh, violent East Wind brings the other-worldly Mary to the children. Well before I read The Lord of the Rings, I learned from P. L. Travers that the British find their East Wind cold and somewhat magical. And why not? It comes from Siberia - and it comes rarely, as the usual wind in Britain is from the West, carrying the warmth of the Gulf Stream into its northern latitude.

For Tolkien all that ties in perfectly with his proto-British mythical geography whereby the West points heavenward and the East points to the opposite, even though the northwest of Middle-earth actually would not have the same weather patterns as his native island.

Of course, in Texas, the Biblical lands, and Japan ('East Wind, Rain' was its coded war warning to its diplomats just before Pearl Harbor) there would be other associations. They are in different parts of the globe, with different arrangements of land and sea, warmth and cold, and prevailing winds.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 8 2018, 9:30pm

Post #3 of 20 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Don't Sing of the East Wind [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the illuminating quote. Heh, living in Texas, wearing two overcoats is simply unthinkable, though an ex-Swedish friend of mine was wearing two jackets when I saw her during out last freeze. She says that is one reason she left Sweden Smile

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9 2018, 6:08am

Post #4 of 20 (3576 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me of "His Last Vow" from the "Sherlock" TV series. // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9 2018, 12:26pm

Post #5 of 20 (3557 views)
Shortcut
My Grandfather, a Michigan farmer [In reply to] Can't Post

from the 1920s through the 1940s would observe that the East wind would bring weather that lasted 3 days and he'd farm accordingly... especially during planting/harvest seasons. It wasn't clear if this was a good omen or bad, but it was relevent enough to grab his attention every time.

I know this isn't really relating to the topic, but that's what the East winds mean in the old tales here :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 10 2018, 12:25am

Post #6 of 20 (3504 views)
Shortcut
The "East Wind" does literally blow, but [In reply to] Can't Post

was Tolkien being somewhat metaphorical: Could he be hinting of the peoples and danger that come from the East? It's an ill wind? /

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2018, 9:08am

Post #7 of 20 (3488 views)
Shortcut
"When the wind is in the east, 'tis neither good for man nor beast" [In reply to] Can't Post

(From a rhyme listed in the Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs)

I've always thought of their reluctance to speak (or sing) of the East Wind as being because that's the direction of Mordor, but it does have a history in British literature. My first thought was of Dickens' Bleak House, where Mr Jarndyce remarks that the wind is in the east (no matter its actual direction) whenever he's troubled by some foreboding:

"I'll take an oath it's either in the east, or going to be. I am always conscious of an uncomfortable sensation now and then when the wind is blowing in the east”.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 12 2018, 9:51am

Post #8 of 20 (3417 views)
Shortcut
I have a friend who lives [In reply to] Can't Post

in the Midlands of England not too far from where Tolkien grew up. According to them, there's no high ground (to temper the easterly wind) between them and the Ural Mountains! When an easterly wind blows it tends to be bitterly cold in winter and might bring snow - or is blastingly dry and, having passed over so much land, not as fresh. I am on the west coast and we tend to have more westerlies off the sea, lovely clean air, not as cold thanks to the Gulf Stream, but much wetter. British weather is a tricksssy beast!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 12 2018, 2:37pm

Post #9 of 20 (3411 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

"Stand with me here upon the terrace, for it may be the last quiet talk that we shall ever have."

The two friends chatted in intimate converse for a few minutes, recalling once again the days of the past, while their prisoner vainly wriggled to undo the bonds that held him. As they turned to the car Holmes pointed back to the moonlit sea and shook a thoughtful head.

"There's an east wind coming, Watson."

"I think not, Holmes. It is very warm."

"Good old Watson! You are the one fixed point in a changing age. There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared."

-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "His Last Bow"

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 12 2018, 10:24pm

Post #10 of 20 (3384 views)
Shortcut
Interesting quotes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all that replied. I feel I have a better understanding of the "East Wind" trope, now. Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 13 2018, 10:53am

Post #11 of 20 (3330 views)
Shortcut
As another Brit..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can cheerfully confirm everything the others have said. Smile For us the east wind is literally threatening. It's cold. Good weather never comes on an east wind. Gardeners are advised to plant anything tender with shelter from the east (and north).
And beyond that, metaphorically, mythologically, historically, things that threaten these islands - invasions, wars, or rumours of other people's wars that might become a threat - come from the east. North or south, sometimes, but never west. West of the British Isles was no threat, just open sea, with perhaps some fabled paradise beyond. In the 6th century St Brendan is said to have set out from Ireland, sailing 'into the West' across the Atlantic in search of the Island of the Blessed. The earliest written accounts of his voyage date from the 10th century.
That's what east and west mean to us in Britain. It's what underlies the geography of Middle-earth.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 13 2018, 5:00pm

Post #12 of 20 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but it matters where you are on the planet - [In reply to] Can't Post

In these parts, similar to your grandfather’s land, an east wind usually brings changeable weather, often rain.

But in the region where the Bible was written, as Attalus points out, east winds are hot and dry. That makes sense, for in that area, east winds would be coming off the vast deserts of Jordan and Syria.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 13 2018, 5:03pm)

CMackintosh
Rivendell

Jan 15 2018, 8:36am

Post #13 of 20 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and the Irony of Geography [In reply to] Can't Post

In New Zealand, it's the south wind that brings the winter chill to summertime. The east wind, like the west wind, comes across a vast stretch of ocean, and often brings rain with it. Wind from the north, north-west or north-east, tends to bring the highs, while the west-northwest wind on the East Coast of the South Island tends to bring hot dry weather - the North-Western Arch, as they term it in Christchurch.

Geography and irony go together in the making of the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit films.

Ent Wife
The Shire

Jan 15 2018, 7:44pm

Post #14 of 20 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Great reply! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Whew, it’s as cold as the North Pole. Which way is the wind blowing?”
And as he said that, Mr Banks popped his head out of the window and looked down the Lane to Admiral Boom’s house at the corner. ....
“Ha!” said Mr Banks, drawing in his head very quickly. “Admiral’s telescope says East Wind. I thought as much. There is frost in my bones. I shall wear two overcoats.” -
Travers, (1934). Mary Poppins, chapter 1.

I've never forgotten that bit in the book whereby the cold, harsh, violent East Wind brings the other-worldly Mary to the children. Well before I read The Lord of the Rings, I learned from P. L. Travers that the British find their East Wind cold and somewhat magical. And why not? It comes from Siberia - and it comes rarely, as the usual wind in Britain is from the West, carrying the warmth of the Gulf Stream into its northern latitude.
For Tolkien all that ties in perfectly with his proto-British mythical geography whereby the West points heavenward and the East points to the opposite, even though the northwest of Middle-earth actually would not have the same weather patterns as his native island.
Of course, in Texas, the Biblical lands, and Japan ('East Wind, Rain' was its coded war warning to its diplomats just before Pearl Harbor) there would be other associations. They are in different parts of the globe, with different arrangements of land and sea, warmth and cold, and prevailing winds.

As a British expat now living in the NW US, I concur. Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2018, 9:06pm

Post #15 of 20 (3148 views)
Shortcut
Although it depends on which side of the islands you're on. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The east wind, like the west wind, comes across a vast stretch of ocean, and often brings rain with it.

East wind = wet, cooler in the east and hot and dry in the west (except Auckland).

West wind = wet, cooler in the west and hot and dry in east (except Auckland).

Auckland = all possible weather in one day. Tongue

Of course, Christchurch's foehn wind is another beast altogether (which I realised only a few years ago wasn't a 'fern' wind, as I had thought). Blush

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 15 2018, 9:06pm

Post #16 of 20 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some really illuminating information here, folks! Thanks to all!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2018, 5:07am

Post #17 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut
Don't even get me started on that Nor'wester... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's Australia's fault anyway. Laugh

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 16 2018, 10:16pm

Post #18 of 20 (3060 views)
Shortcut
The Northeaster? [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME, wild North-easter!
Shame it is to see
Odes to every zephyr;
Ne’er a verse to thee.

Charles Kingley

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 23 2018, 7:53pm

Post #19 of 20 (2925 views)
Shortcut
Mary Poppins - Nazgul? [In reply to] Can't Post

And after supper Jane and Michael sat at the window watching for Mr. Banks to come home, and listening to the sound of the East Wind blowing through the naked branches of the cherry­-­trees in the Lane. The trees themselves, turning and bending in the half light, looked as though they had gone mad and were dancing their roots out of the ground.

“There he is!” said Michael, pointing suddenly to a shape that banged heavily against the gate. Jane peered through the gathering ­darkness.

“That’s not Daddy,” she said. “It’s somebody ­else.”

Then the shape, tossed and bent under the wind, lifted the latch of the gate, and they could see that it belonged to a woman, who was holding her hat on with one hand and carrying a bag in the other.

-"East Wind", Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 23 2018, 8:03pm

Post #20 of 20 (2923 views)
Shortcut
I never read that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though having heard the title before, I ought to have guessed that the TV producers took the "east wind" line from the story.

(As a child, I was given a Sherlock Holmes collection, but it only includes the first three series of stories plus three novels, and I've never read any of the others.)

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.