Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to the first Fiesta of 2018!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 74 (386 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the first Fiesta of 2018! Can't Post

Happy New Year to all of you, and welcome to the first Fiesta of the new year! Special thanks to dernwyn Heart who took the bar last week when I was waylaid by an unplanned meeting at work.

What did you do to celebrate, and how are those new year resolutions going so far? Wink We spent a quiet evening together on the 31st putting finishing touches on our Christmas village and watching movies, then hosted our annual New Year's Day brunch for family where we rang in the new year a second time. A great time was had by all!

Do tell how your celebrations went and what plans you may have for the weekend.

*puts quarters on juke box* play us a favorite!

Happy, wonderful weekend, everyone! SmileHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 5:35pm

Post #2 of 74 (308 views)
Shortcut
We lucked out! Only 8 inches of snow here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings from the blizzard-whacked east coast, Altaira! The snow-depths ranged from 6 to 13 inches, according to my men-folk (who just got in from shovelling walkways and driveway). Lots of wind yesterday, but amazingly no power outage!

It was a pleasure to tend the bar last week, I figured you'd had some kind of "unexpected party". Laugh What movies did you watch on New Year's Eve?

Hubby and I spent that time planning a trip to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton for this summer. Even made B&B reservations onine, or sent inquiry emails. By Wednesday all reservations were set, except for the ferry home from NS (we'll be driving out through Maine and New Brunswick). Now I'll have to "indoctrinate" hubby with lots of Loreena McKennitt music! Angelic

*makes jukebox selection* How about some music for Springtime! Here's Loreena's Mummers' Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxTpvA-pUG0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 5, 5:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 5, 6:18pm

Post #3 of 74 (302 views)
Shortcut
Ironically, the East Coast weather is benefiting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

Around Buffalo, NY we are relatively snow-free at present, though the temperatures are quite cold with sub-zero wind chill.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 6:25pm

Post #4 of 74 (298 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot imagine Buffalo as being snow-free! Typically you're socked in with snow-depths measured in feet!

The sub-zero (F) temps, on the other hand, are gracing us all...Tongue

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 5, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 74 (297 views)
Shortcut
No mystery there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure Erie has been hoarding it! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 5, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 74 (289 views)
Shortcut
Relatively snow-free. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only talking about the past few days where lake-effect has been limited to the North Towns and South Towns. And the more northerly winds we are seeing right now have brought bad weather to Niagara and Orleans Counties (though we still get the cold!). And they are right next to Lake Ontario.

Metro Buffalo is in a pocket that often gets left alone by lake-effect snow. If/when the surface of Lake Erie freezes over, we will see the end of that for a while.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 5, 7:27pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 74 (286 views)
Shortcut
And when she's ready to blow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you often affected by the lake-effect snows?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 7:27pm

Post #8 of 74 (278 views)
Shortcut
I've seen incredible videos [In reply to] Can't Post

of contained storms rising up out of the lake and hitting land, as if someone were dumping a bucket over one area and leaving the adjoining area dry!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 5, 7:30pm

Post #9 of 74 (280 views)
Shortcut
We can get that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are you often affected by the lake-effect snows?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have to drive a bit south for work, so sometimes I'm driving into worse weather than we have at home. Snow bands can be tricky to predict. But a strong lake-effect snow will catch everything nearby east of Lake Erie.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 7:33pm

Post #10 of 74 (282 views)
Shortcut
We've been celebrating [In reply to] Can't Post

the recent rainfall that has eased the effects of drought. A storm has swept through the country with people in the north and east getting the brunt of it, but where I am has only been on the storm's fringes so we got decent rain but no flooding or high winds.

However, one of the places where the rain is heaviest today is where my niece is camping with several hundred rangers (!) in their early teens, so I doubt she's feeling very happy right now! Evil

It's sunny today so I'll be heading to the local park to watch a T20 cricket game. (It's not real cricket but I'll take what I can get.)

Monday is back to work. Unimpressed It's going to be a demanding couple of months and I'm not looking forward to it.

So perhaps a breakfast margarita for a wee pep-up, dear barkeeper?

Happy end of the week, everyone! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 7:35pm

Post #11 of 74 (277 views)
Shortcut
Can you describe what that lake-effect is? [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't heard the term before.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 5, 7:49pm

Post #12 of 74 (275 views)
Shortcut
Lake-effect precipitation (both rain and snow). [In reply to] Can't Post

Cold air passes over a warmer body of water (such as the Great Lakes) and absorbs moisture that gets dumped on nearby communities. Visualize winds from the east passing over the Sea of RhŻn, picking up moisture, and dumping it as rain on the woodland on the north-western shore.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 8:05pm

Post #13 of 74 (268 views)
Shortcut
Something similar has happened here [In reply to] Can't Post

with the storm we got in the last couple of days. La Nina has made the sea temps higher than usual between Australia and NZ, which gave more oomph to the low that passed overhead.

I don't think of lakes being warm but I guess that's relative when air is as cold as you've been experiencing lately!

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 8:14pm

Post #14 of 74 (261 views)
Shortcut
Let it snow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my gosh, that's right. I forgot about the blizzard and cold snap. Luckily, we're *just* to the west of line of cold weather and storms that's dividing the U.S. right down the middle.

I bet your trip is going to be amazing. Nice to have it almost all planned out. We watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. I'd say it was okay. It could have been much better if they'd cast a stronger lead actor, but it was fun to watch.

Stay warm and let those men-folk keep shoveling. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 8:25pm

Post #15 of 74 (258 views)
Shortcut
Let it rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not too much. Laugh

Brett feels the same about T20 cricket, but like you he tunes in anyway! He'll be watching the 50 over game between NZ and Pakistan in a few hours - over the internet, of course. I enjoy cricket quite a bit, but this year with the help of one of ESPN's sports channels I've become a pretty rabid rugby fan. I was more disappointed when the All Black's season ended than our local Denver Broncos U.S. football team (although the Broncos' season was pretty pathetic this year).

Enjoy the game and stay dry! SmileHeart

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 8:53pm

Post #16 of 74 (252 views)
Shortcut
Relatively warmer and full of water [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several snow belts at different spots around the Great Lakes. Buffalo NY is probably the best well-known because they get a LOT of snow. But over Christmas, Erie, Pennsylvania got over five feet (1.5 m) of snow in about 24 hours. Erie is about 95 miles/153km west of Buffalo, but also on the eastern half of Lake Erie.

Here in Chicago, we get on average 28 inches/.92m of snow each year. We're on the western edge of Lake Michigan. Across the lake in Benton Harbor, Michigan, a snowbelt, they get an average of 84 inches/215 cm each year. That difference is all lake effect.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 9:48pm

Post #17 of 74 (247 views)
Shortcut
Do you know [In reply to] Can't Post

how populated these areas were before European migration?

The original inhabitants must have been both tough and ingenious to survive such extreme weather.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 9:53pm

Post #18 of 74 (241 views)
Shortcut
He has good taste. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

In Reply To
Brett feels the same about T20 cricket, but like you he tunes in anyway! He'll be watching the 50 over game between NZ and Pakistan in a few hours

Thanks for the reminder! The first game of each series gets played on free TV so that's what I'll be doing for the next few hours! :)

In Reply To
I've become a pretty rabid rugby fan.

:D

The next world cup is in Japan next year and the US Eagles have already qualified. It'll be interesting to see how the team does without Clever in it.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 9:54pm

Post #19 of 74 (243 views)
Shortcut
Feeling grateful for electricity [In reply to] Can't Post

after losing it for most of yesterday, courtesy of the storm Ataahua mentioned. The little towns around us were hit by power cuts, too, so we couldn't even slip out to civilisation. Fortunately in the late afternoon one of the towns had power restored (ours didn't come back till late at night), so we scored an espresso and a charging-up of phones. Fingers crossed that it stays on today! And much sympathy for the hardworking power crews out in this weather.

The rain will be very good for the garden, though - things have been getting parched.

We had a quiet New Year's Eve, watching DVDs and feasting, and I'll confess I was asleep by midnight :).

I don't do resolutions as such, but I do have a few aspirations for this year. One is to finish the novel I'm currently working on, which is going quite well, am glad to say. Another is to study Te Reo Maori - I know some words and phrases, as most Kiwis do, but it feels like high time I applied myself to learning properly. So far so good! I've been working on it most days, thanks to a really good course, and am very much enjoying it.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 10:18pm

Post #20 of 74 (234 views)
Shortcut
Which te reo course are you using, Kimi? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5, 10:20pm

Post #21 of 74 (238 views)
Shortcut
No electricity = no good [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time the power goes out here (which, thankfully, isn't often), the subject always comes up of what exactly people *did* before electricity, and especially before the internet! Lol. Then, we either get some cleaning or gardening done, or break out a board game.

Glad to hear your book is coming along! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 5, 10:26pm

Post #22 of 74 (249 views)
Shortcut
Vanilla rum [In reply to] Can't Post

Cruzan if you have it.

The cold has been getting in my bones. When you get old your body starts reminding you ďHey, remember when you broke this bone way back when you was a kid?Ē Luckily itís supposed to be warmer this weekend so I can finish putting up the hand rails for the front porch steps.

My optometrist says a lot of the drusen (pimples) on my right retina have vanished over the past six-months, so my ďage-related macular degenerationĒ (AMD) seems to be in regression, which he says rarely happens. So my taking eye vitamins and wearing sunglasses apparently helped. (Also that I donít smoke. Anymore.) He says I only have to visit him yearly now.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.Ē

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 10:44pm

Post #23 of 74 (231 views)
Shortcut
Scotty Morrison's "Maori Made Easy". [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just 30 minutes a day, and has a website to accompany the book, which really helps with checking pronunciation.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5, 10:47pm

Post #24 of 74 (231 views)
Shortcut
In daylight it's not *too* bad [In reply to] Can't Post

as you suggest, we can always get some cleaning or gardening done - though for us there's the added complication that no electricity means no running water (really channeling my inner Victorian then).

We were certainly glad when the lights came back on last night!

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jan 5, 10:54pm

Post #25 of 74 (231 views)
Shortcut
No fierce weather here... [In reply to] Can't Post

phew! Some people are really going through it at the moment. I've been taking down the Christmas decorations this evening and packing away baubles etc. I have far too many baubles.. Tomorrow the outside lights will be taken down. It's sad to see the fairy lights go, as I love the colourful twinkle on the dark evenings, but if they were left up longer they'd lose their novelty. I do have a set of white lights on trellis that stay on for a few hours each evening and help to light the area round the back door, so they are useful as well as decorative. Casting my mind forward to summer, my juke box choice would be 'Pack up the Louie' by Caro Emerald - a frisky bit of fun! I already awarded myself a glass of pinot grigio and a packet of crisps for getting the baubles packed away. Cheers, folks!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.