Synthesia, anyone?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2018, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 26 (1685 views)
Shortcut
Synthesia, anyone? Can't Post

The above, when one experiences a fusion of the senses, is apparently a documented condition or brain “disorder.” Many different kinds exist and one of the most common is Grahame-Color Synthesia or seeing letters and numbers in colors. I’ve experienced this for as long as I can remember and took it for granted. It’s supposedly more common in women — non-elves, too ;-) !

Does anyone else experience this? Or a different type of synthesia? What are your thoughts about it? And if you’re like me, in what color/s do you see the word synthesia? (See below for me.)

“S” is always a dominant letter to me and is nearly always red. “E” is dominant, too and is always black. So I see the word in red and black colors and a little blue.

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Jan 5 2018, 5:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2018, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 26 (1618 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to experience that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm familiar with it. There's a great junior-level novel about it, Wendy Mass' "A Mango-shaped Space".

I prefer to think of it as a brain "expansion" rather than "disorder".

I easily associate numbers with letters, for example 4 is R or A, but that's probably just from having tried to read stuff in 1337. Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2018, 6:15pm

Post #3 of 26 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yeah dernwyn, that’s why disorder is in quotes :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Not exactly a super-power, but synthesia is rather coolish, I think.

So you associate letters and numbers? That’s fascinating, especially since it seems the numbers don’t appear to correspond with alphabetical order. But can you explain 1337? I assume that’s a year, but ...?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2018, 6:23pm

Post #4 of 26 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Heh! That's "gamer" stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Called "Leet", from "elite", some sort of gamer jargon. 1=L, 3=e, and 7=t.

I use it to work out passwords; my favorite ones combine two Tolkien names/places/things, with Leet spelling. Easy for me to remember!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2018, 7:08pm

Post #5 of 26 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Oi, gamers! Not my lingo. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you’ve discovered a fun way to manage your passwords, tho, dernwyn. Wonder if Tolkien would be flattered? Cool

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Jan 5 2018, 7:09pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2018, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 26 (1597 views)
Shortcut
The singer Lorde has synaethesia. [In reply to] Can't Post

She sees music notes as colours, and it directs how she creates her songs. She's spoken about her experiences a couple of times:

https://www.teenvogue.com/...ynesthesia-hit-music

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=11854465

To me, that sounds like an extraordinary extra talent to draw upon, especially for a creative person. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 5 2018, 8:06pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2018, 7:56pm

Post #7 of 26 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Did not know that about Lorde but synthesia has been associated with creativity. [In reply to] Can't Post

That’s amazing she applies it to her music and it results in something others enjoy. I’m not sure that would always be the case, tho. Sort of like a language only you understand. Thanks for the links Ataahua!

(The language angle now makes me wonder about Tolkien. An intriguing thought! Goes off to investigate historical reports of the disorder ....)

Now it’s got me puzzling if there’s a way to use it in my writing. Or perhaps it does influence me and I’m just not aware. I’d say “fascinating” if it didn’t make me sound like I’m in the wrong fandom board Wink.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2018, 8:07pm

Post #8 of 26 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Make it so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2018, 9:04pm

Post #9 of 26 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Consider me engaged! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 6 2018, 2:37am

Post #10 of 26 (1559 views)
Shortcut
I have a bad feeling about this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 6 2018, 8:46am

Post #11 of 26 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not an elf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 6 2018, 9:21am

Post #12 of 26 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Set catapults to stun. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 7 2018, 5:05pm

Post #13 of 26 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Warpéd peopleses! / [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

imin
Valinor

Jan 7 2018, 7:10pm

Post #14 of 26 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Calendars [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the way i mentally 'see' the year as a calendar is form of synaesthesia. I thought it was completely normal until i was describing it to someone and they were looking at me like i was mad! I find it has no disadvantages but quite a few advantages as i am very good with dates and can mentally move around the months very easily as it feels like it is really around me. I guess being related to a calendar not letters i 'interact' with my synaesthesia less often than you might but nevertheless all forms of synaesthesia are fascinating.

Its hard to describe but i imagine it is hard to describe how it looks for a sound to have a certain colour.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 7 2018, 7:36pm

Post #15 of 26 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Win! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 7 2018, 8:07pm

Post #16 of 26 (1455 views)
Shortcut
That is way cool, imin [In reply to] Can't Post

So time broken into calendar-like blocks is something you experience as a physical space you can mentally move through? Just asking out of curiosity; I know it’s hard to articulate to others!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 7 2018, 8:39pm

Post #17 of 26 (1455 views)
Shortcut
I have a condition called synthesisersesia [In reply to] Can't Post

Still listening to far too much 80's music.Cool

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 8 2018, 2:25pm

Post #18 of 26 (1400 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

do you see the music in neon colors??
TongueCool

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2018, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 26 (1381 views)
Shortcut
That is cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you easily find the day of the week, if someone gives you a date? Have you tried to see how far "back" you can go?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2018, 4:45pm

Post #20 of 26 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Or tie-dye? // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2018, 9:21pm

Post #21 of 26 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Normally people think its really weird!

I see it as a kind of ellipse which is joined together but there are definitive blocks for each month. For me the year starts at the absolute bottom of the ellipse (and eventually gets right back there for NYE). The summer months are bigger though, they balloon out to give a bump in the ellipse. My theory on this is when i first started knowing about time on the scale of years i may have just started nursery/preschool type time so i had summer holidays and they seemed to go on forever so it has permanently stretched my perception of those months. I could be wrong and it could just be that way through chance but its as good as i can think of, lol.

I am always at the point on the ellipse that the date is, so currently when i think of the year i am at the base of the ellipse. Also the angle of it isn't flat in front of me, or vertical but at a slight angle, with the summer months just a bit lifted off the ground, as if Jan is on the floor and the summer months are raised on a chair seat. I know this sounds weird but thats the best way to describe it. I saw once online someone posted a picture of how they view it and it was very similar.

If i think about a month in a different way so specifically about that month not just the year in general, i sort of move around the ellipse and it enlarges so i can see a regular calendar pretty much.

I thought of an example today of how it helps in my day to day life. Im a dentist and get some people back for 6 month recall exams, a lot as me when that will be - for me 6 months is the other side of the ellipse so i just look across the ellipse and there it is so i can give the answer in an instant.

I would love to know what its like with different forms of synaesthesia!

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2018, 9:27pm

Post #22 of 26 (1357 views)
Shortcut
I have tried [In reply to] Can't Post

And you will probably be disappointed, lol.

I can only do this for the year i am in - i have tried before. The way i see it, there are the days of the week at the top of the numbers - like a regular calendar, so i can easily tell you what day today is when we will get to Nov for example. But for some reason without trying or wanting it to, the days of the week adjust for each year, but it means it essentially deletes what it was for the previous year - you can i guess work it out from the current one, but then im not really seeing it and putting in zero effort at that point but just figuring it out which i imagine goes against the point of synaesthesia.

So maybe not as cool as you hoped for sorry!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2018, 7:49pm

Post #23 of 26 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Had to laugh, imin [In reply to] Can't Post

with your description of the summer months bulging in comparison to the others. I don't have your gift for navigation, but when I picture the year in my head, the summer months are similarly enlarged. I guess when your young and incarcerated in school, it's easy to envision them as the most important time of the year. Smile

I think your type of synesthesia definitely has practical advantages. Lucky you!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2018, 2:44am

Post #24 of 26 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Automatic reset! [In reply to] Can't Post

No, that's fascinating, too, how your mind adjusts for each year!

I'm starting to wonder if there's a relation between your ellipse and why I get months mixed up. There are times when it's November or February, and for a moment I'll think it's the other month, those two months "feel" the same to me. I get a bit of that with April and September/October, momentarily thinking it's a different month. But those months aren't opposite one another on the "ellipse", are they. Maybe it's the amount of daylight that affects me.

imin
Valinor

Jan 11 2018, 10:03pm

Post #25 of 26 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah maybe that isn't my synaesthesia that is just what every child imagines from wishful thinking :P

I would love to know what words are like with different colours, to me that sounds super cool!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.