Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "We shall fight on the beaches..."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 4, 11:18pm

Post #1 of 27 (1042 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "We shall fight on the beaches..." Can't Post

I had the pleasure this week of watching two films that complimented each other very well - Dunkirk (which I missed in theaters) and Darkest Hour.

I enjoyed both thoroughly, with an edge given to Dunkirk, which was simply thrilling to witness. What I loved about both films was the wealth of talent on display. While some of Dunkirk's main characters were unknown actors, they were superbly supported by some of the finest actors in cinema. Darkest Hour, as well, had a great array of magnificent, if often underrated, actors backing up Gary Oldman's powerhouse performance. I especially enjoyed seeing Stephen Dillane outside of Game of Thrones. I've long been a fan of his (I first noticed him in his stellar turn as Thomas Jefferson in HBO's John Adams).

I also went to see The Shape of Water for a second time today - this time with my Mom. She's not quite the Guillermo del Toro fan that I am, so I don't think she enjoyed quite as much as me Wink, but she seemed to like it well enough. I loved it even more, though, and I imagine it'll become a favorite in years to come.

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 5, 4:45am

Post #2 of 27 (910 views)
Shortcut
The Godhobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there is no such film, but this is my excuse to note the following correction printed today in Politico. No link, because we can't discuss the underlying subject matter here:

An earlier version of the story misidentified the fictional character name _____ uses to refer to _____ as Frodo, a Lord of the Rings reference, rather than Fredo, a reference to The Godfather.

One journalist whose work I admire has described this in a tweet as "possibly the best correction ever"--and in response someone referenced Bored of the Rings! I certainly encourage further mash-ups on this theme.

Has Charlie Ross considered a one-man Godfather trilogy show to go along with his Star Wars and LOTR performances?

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jan 5, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 27 (851 views)
Shortcut
I saw Darkest Hour as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes Dunkirk is a great tie in as well as visually stunning.

Another I saw a few months ago was Their Finest Hour (also just called Their Finest) -- About propaganda screenwriters telling the tale of two sisters piloting their boat to Dunkirk.. some good performances there though the ending was fairly obvious midway through.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 6, 5:32am

Post #4 of 27 (852 views)
Shortcut
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle [In reply to] Can't Post

We went to see the new Jumanji the other night and loved it. I wasn't sure I was going to, since they changed the board game to a video game, but that was actually brilliant. The avatar characters were hysterical, especially Jack Black and Dwayne Johnson, who must have had so much fun playing those characters.

So we got out the old VHS copy of Jumanji and watched it, and I realized why it had been over 20 years since I'd watched it. The old one is essentially a horror movie, and I don't like horror movies.

I loved the look of the board game in the old movie, which reminded me a bit of the classic Parcheesi that we used to play as a family when I was a kid, but that I was all I liked about it. In retrospect, it's sweet to see dear Robin Williams again, but not enough to make me like the old movie.

The new one is totally different. Very funny, especially the gender-bending and body-type-bending, and not nearly as dark, though it had some of the same themes. Maybe the fact that it mostly took place in the world of Jumanji and not in our world made it easier for me to take. Anyway, it was delightful, and I don't plan to wait 20 years to see it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 6, 4:23pm

Post #5 of 27 (809 views)
Shortcut
Saw this as well, loved it!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 6, 6:49pm

Post #6 of 27 (815 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes for different folks... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first film is a childhood favorite of mine, and I love it still. I actually received the recent Blu-ray remaster (the Best Buy Steelbook Exclusive, no less) for Christmas.

I thought I didn't like horror films, but if you consider Jumanji one, I guess you really don't like them. Wink I can't say I agree - I'd place it firmly in the Adventure category.

The new one, on the other hand, does not appeal to me in the slightest. It looks to be nothing more than a money grab to me. I don't care for the retooling of the original concept into a video game Unimpressed, and I really don't like The Rock. It's a great mystery to me what audiences find appealing about him, but to each their own I suppose.

But one bright spot I find in the remake is the aforementioned remaster of the original film. It's often the silver lining of these (IMO) pointless remakes/sequels that the studios revisit the original films on home video. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 6, 7:33pm

Post #7 of 27 (789 views)
Shortcut
"I can handle the Ring. I’m a smart hobbit and I want respect!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 6, 8:19pm

Post #8 of 27 (798 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about the original film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 5.6 out of 10 and Metacritic gives it a score of 39 out of 100, and that feels like the right range to me. I saw a lot of films in 1995, and felt then that that Jumanji was in the bottom half.

There are four lights.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 8, 6:39am

Post #9 of 27 (764 views)
Shortcut
Congratultions to Guillermo del Toro on winning a Golden Globe. [In reply to] Can't Post

As best director for The Shape of Water, although the best picture awards (for comedy/musical and drama, respectively) went to Lady Bird and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

There are four lights.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8, 12:12pm

Post #10 of 27 (744 views)
Shortcut
Hear, Hear! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I was SO happy for him :D I love how he jokingly refused to shorten his appreciation speech when the music started playing to signal his time was up. ;) How he said it took 25 years to get to this moment and to please let him finish. He was delightful! The film was well-awarded throughout the night.

Congratulations to our Official TORn-sib!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 8, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 27 (736 views)
Shortcut
the appeal of the Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

It started the time I saw him on "Ellen" where he answered every quip of hers with a zinger of his own; he's a smart cookie. Then he talked about how much he loves his daughters. Then he played guitar - quite well. All of these things made me laugh & smile. I also like how he's able to laugh at himself (something even more appealing in these days of big volatile egos dominating the news), to the point of dressing up in a pink tutu for one of his roles! Plus he does seem to like playing the big guy who gets a lesson in what really matters in life: being a good dad/mentor to the young'uns.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 8, 10:55pm

Post #12 of 27 (711 views)
Shortcut
How would you describe Karen Gillan's performance? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8, 11:42pm

Post #13 of 27 (713 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

I Heart him!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 9, 1:56am

Post #14 of 27 (694 views)
Shortcut
She didn't have much to do, to be fair. [In reply to] Can't Post

What she did, she did well enough.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 9, 3:24am

Post #15 of 27 (684 views)
Shortcut
It was sweet and funny too [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially the scene where she was trying a sexy walk after being coached by Jack Black and was awkward as heck.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 9, 3:31am

Post #16 of 27 (684 views)
Shortcut
Did you see it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or was the concept unappealing enough that it kept you away? Because that almost happened to me. I was very pleasantly surprised.

GNU Terry Pratchett

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jan 9, 4:03am

Post #17 of 27 (675 views)
Shortcut
A fun piece of fluff [In reply to] Can't Post

After they put the jaguar's eye back and wait before saying jumanji the little kids in the audience were saying it for them.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9, 7:02am

Post #18 of 27 (669 views)
Shortcut
Three Billboards [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could swear on here, in order to show my appreciation. What a great film.
Waiting for: Darkest Hour, Lady Bird, I, Tonya. (They haven't started here yet.)
I am also really looking forward to On Chesil Beach. I loved the book. Hope it is done justice.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 11, 6:52am

Post #19 of 27 (600 views)
Shortcut
Let's keep it going another week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't really been watching anything new over the past week, but I did start my Game of Thrones S7 rewatch. I love going back to each season after the Blu-ray has been released. It allows me to soak in the nuances and appreciate each episode much more (rather than just itching to get to the next one).

In other news, I saw that the BAFTA nominations came out the other day. Though I'm much less excited by the awards season than I used to be, I was thoroughly pleased to see that Denis Villenueve was nominated for Best Director for Blade Runner 2049. Smile The film doesn't seem to be in play for any of the big races in the various awards here in the states, so it was really nice to see it get some respect there. I can't wait for the film to come out on Blu-ray next week. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 11, 6:53am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11, 8:11am

Post #20 of 27 (591 views)
Shortcut
Starter For 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

A little gem set in England in the 1980s. I saw it in 2006 when it came out, and have finally managed to get a copy so I could watch it again.

I love the 80s soundtrack, and I enjoyed seeing lots of familiar actors (James McAvoy is a fave). I lived in England for two years during the 80s, and this film brings back lots of memories - including of watching "University Challenge" (the quiz show the film is centered around).

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 11, 9:23pm

Post #21 of 27 (569 views)
Shortcut
Black Mirror on Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

A colleague told me about this anthology, which I’d never heard of, so I’m giving it a try. Have seen only about 4 so far, and they vary widely in quality. Would give the best of them a 4 out of 5.

Tidbit: the Arkangel episode was directed by Jodie Foster, so it was a little interesting to see the “Silence of the Lambs” star directing for a little-known series. Not a breath-taking episode, but not bad either.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 12, 7:50pm

Post #22 of 27 (554 views)
Shortcut
Season 3 of the Magicians [In reply to] Can't Post

I so love this show. This episode had Bacchus in it, partying down, plus malevolent fairies a la Pratchett, and this phrase that made me hoot out loud: "get your questing b*tch face on" (as they all embark on the quest that's going to take up most of this season).

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 17, 4:09pm

Post #23 of 27 (486 views)
Shortcut
Merry and Sam: "Hey Pippin, climb in the boat, we are going fishing"..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or do you envision Sam as Fredo?

The Gandfather -

"Ok Frodo, I have taken care of the Sackville-Bagginses. But know,
someday Frodo, and thay day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me...."

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 17, 7:47pm

Post #24 of 27 (468 views)
Shortcut
Funny what a word string "mafia middle earth" search brings up - operation-middle-earth-mafia-arrests [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.irishtimes.com/...ia-arrests-1.2025536

"...in one wire tapped conversation released yesterday, Carminati tells his right hand man, Riccardo Bruggia:

“It is all about the Middle Earth theory, mate. You see, up above us are the living and below us are the dead and then there is us, in the middle...and that is a middle world where everybody and everything can meet...”

An image of Gandfather - https://www.thesun.co.uk/...cape-3-x-2.jpg?w=750

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 17, 9:47pm

Post #25 of 27 (458 views)
Shortcut
Godzilla; Planet of the Monsters anime movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the first part of the Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters anime trilogy that had its Netflix debut today. It is a much harder-edged take on Japan's King of the Monsters then there has ever been, borrowing from the long tradition of military science fiction going back at least to Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers. At the end of the twentieth century Humanity is forced to abandon Earth to the kaiju only to find its destination uninhabitable. The generation ship returns to the homeworld only to find that thousands of years have passed in real time and Godzilla is still alive.

I'm already looking forward to part two.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 17, 9:48pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.