Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Questions about the Host of Valinor in the War of Wrath.

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Jan 4, 2:19am

Post #1 of 4 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Questions about the Host of Valinor in the War of Wrath. Can't Post

It was stated in the books that Enw were the commander of the host against Morgoth. The foot soldiers were the Vanyar. My question is: Did other Maiar participate in the struggle? Ilmar, Uinen, Tilion, Oss or others? Did the Maia had lesser spritis that were foot soldiers?

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 6, 6:34pm

Post #2 of 4 (1568 views)
Shortcut
if I recall correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... (that's if) when Tolkien imagined that the Valar had had children, these (some?) Valarin spring-off/offspring fought in the Wrathy War...

... but JRRT later dropped that idea (Valar having children)...

... and then something something...

... again I can't recall exactly, going on memory, but I think some have wondered if the "host of the Valar" for example, necessarily includes the Valar themselves, while some say at least some of the Maiar, for instance, must have helped, considering the damage to Beleriand and so on.

Anyway, Tolkien made an (arguably) cursory correction to a late section of QS concerning the forces of the War of Wrath, altering...

"the sons of the Gods were young and fair and terrible"> "the host of the Gods were arrayed in forms of Valinor"

Whatever that means Smile

[constructed Silmarillion: "... for the host of the Valar were arrayed in forms young and fair and terrible, and the mountains rang beneath their feet."]

Eonwe seems to be present in Beleriand anyway, in my opinion.

Or if I misremembered (or forgot something important), never mind Smile

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jan 6, 6:48pm)

CMackintosh

Jan 11, 8:25am

Post #3 of 4 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Names not given [In reply to] Can't Post

Tilion and Arien were busy with their jobs, minding the light-givers. Osse would've been kept busy keeping the seas calm. Tolkien never mentioned any of the Maiar in Tulkas' company.

Eldorion
Gondor

Jan 24, 5:59am

Post #4 of 4 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Thorondor (maybe) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Thorondor definitely participated in the War of Wrath, but maybe he was a Maia. I think it's more likely than not.

In the 1977 Silmarillion the origin of the Ents and the Eagles is stated to be "the thought of Yavanna ... summon[ing] spirits from afar" to dwell within certain plants and animals. These sorts of vaguely defined spirits are some of the things that were generally subsumed into the class of Maiar when that was introduced in the 1950s (along with, as Elthir mentions, the Children of the Valar). When Tolkien was reworking the Annals of Valinor into the Annals of Aman during this time period, he left a marginal note stating that Manw sent "Maia spirits in Eagle form" to Middle-earth to watch over Morgoth (HoMe X, Annals of Aman, note appended to 169).

Tolkien later returned to the idea that the initial generation of Eagles were Maiar in Myths Transformed, Text VIII (also found in HoMe X), though he notes that later generations of the Eagles were probably Incarnates with far. Thorondor (called Sorontar in this text) was part of that initial generation, though, and is specifically mentioned as a potential Maia. While ideas found in Myths Transformed must be taken with a grain of salt since Tolkien played around with many different ideas in those essays, not all of which he adopted, I think that Thorondor being a Maia is the explanation that best fits the available evidence.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.