The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Bright" on Netflix

priell3
Lorien

Jan 3 2018, 11:47pm

Post #1 of 9 (379 views)
Shortcut
"Bright" on Netflix Can't Post

Has anyone watched this? It is a movie with Orcs, Elves, Humans, magic wands (in place of rings) and a Dark Lord. I thought it was only fair. Too much use of the "F" word for one thing. Not suitable for children for sure.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80119234

MikeP

Belegdir
Lorien

Jan 4 2018, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 9 (344 views)
Shortcut
I watched it [In reply to] Can't Post

Only fair is a good assessment. It was a mish-mash of ideas that was heavily influenced by Alien Nation. It was a bad cop drama with fantasy trappings. It certainly doesn't warrant a sequel.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 4 2018, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 9 (332 views)
Shortcut
Yes, out of curiosity. Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

to be honest, when I first saw the "Orc" I also thought of "Alien Nation," but no, it's not that. I would guess it has more in common with "World of Warcraft" than Tolkien, but I've never played WoW so I don't know for sure. It's really about race relations, with the Orcs standing in for Blacks & Latinos in L.A. Will Smith is a cop assigned to work with the first Orc cop in the city's Diversity push; he's not crazy about the idea but he doesn't want to sabotage the Orc either. Funny enough, the Elves stand in for the one percenters, the Hollywood elite, etc., but there's an Elf running the FBI that seems to be interested in stopping the bad guys. There's also a Dark Lord and a prophecy about his return, and some Dark Elves that seem to want to bring this about. Yep, Elves are the bad guys this time. And there's a magic wand that is closer to the One Ring than anything in Harry Potter. Probably not the best movie I've ever seen, but I have seen worse. I'd give it a B- (which may be too generous). The biggest problem I had with the movie is Will Smith - he's still playing that same too cool for school dude, time to learn a new act! I liked him better in "I Am Legend" or "I Robot," but really you've seen it all before.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Belegdir
Lorien

Jan 4 2018, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 9 (319 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Will Smith was rubbish [In reply to] Can't Post

I kept hoping someone would kill him off, but the plot was so thin you knew how it was going to end.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4 2018, 5:01pm

Post #5 of 9 (317 views)
Shortcut
Will Smith can’t exactly do Shakespeare, can he? [In reply to] Can't Post

He’s lovable in some roles, such as in Men in Black, but he always plays the same character, and that’s the one thing keeping me from even trying to watch “Bright” for free.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jan 4 2018, 5:02pm)

Belegdir
Lorien

Jan 4 2018, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 9 (312 views)
Shortcut
Watchin Bright is not free [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll pay for it in time wasted and it's relentless tediousness.

MorgulBlade
The Shire

Jan 4 2018, 7:30pm

Post #7 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
Bright Sequel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Has anyone watched this? It is a movie with Orcs, Elves, Humans, magic wands (in place of rings) and a Dark Lord. I thought it was only fair. Too much use of the "F" word for one thing. Not suitable for children for sure.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80119234

I thought the movie had a lot of interesting ideas, Max Landis won't be on the sequel however...yeah its getting a sequel.

https://heroichollywood.com/netflix-bright-sequel-official/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4 2018, 7:58pm

Post #8 of 9 (286 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 4 2018, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 9 (281 views)
Shortcut
This isn't a full review... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bright could certainly have been much better, but it is not awful (imoho). Long-time role-playing gamers might think of it as a Shadowrun or D20 Modern: Urban Arcana movie; and that is actually a pretty good description. It isn't nearly as clever or as bright as it wants to be, but some should find it worth watching at least once.

Not recommended for anyone suffering from Will Smith overload.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.