Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Woodland Realm and Lothlorien during the war of the elves and Sauron
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 6, 6:08pm

Post #26 of 38 (2796 views)
Shortcut
y oh y [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, as you alread know,...

Sorry about the missing y... to have included it would have made the post in question too long.

Like this one!

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 6, 6:15pm

Post #27 of 38 (2794 views)
Shortcut
All true [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admire CRT for assaulting a great pile of his father's written materials ( some of them going back to the Great War ) and coming up with a (somewhat) congruous narrative, even if he is accused in some quarters of making some things up between himself and his collaborator. I think that the only way to approach this mass of material, present there and in the HoME series, as fragments of legend, "the soup" of which JRRT writes so feelingly in "On Fairy-Stories." It is up to the reader, I guess, to arrange them in his or her own mind as to what is pleasing and seems true. Myself, I cling trustingly to the LotR as the gold standard and work my way back from the hints included there.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 6, 7:02pm

Post #28 of 38 (2788 views)
Shortcut
I do something like that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

... my canon is published-by-Tolkien... then... let's see Wink

Though I do put great weight on "late" (where it doesn't conflict with my 'canon'), and well, Tolkien helped with the P. Baynes map...

... so that too.

Agreement about canon is a rare enough unicorn, generall(y) speaking Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 7, 7:17pm

Post #29 of 38 (2717 views)
Shortcut
How about a series called - [In reply to] Can't Post

“Middle-earth Minutia: Collected rarities and rumenations regarding Middle-earth lore”?

Amazon script writers must be doing research on how best to flesh-out the series just now, so these questions are timely.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 7, 7:42pm

Post #30 of 38 (2709 views)
Shortcut
I just made some. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a third alternative to Lembas and Cram. Hard to make it turn out well, though, no matter how I adjust ingredients or baking time.
It either comes out Flat, or a little Thready.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 7, 7:58pm

Post #31 of 38 (2702 views)
Shortcut
Honey cakes? [In reply to] Can't Post

How about the "honey cakes of the Beornings?" I've always wanted to try those]Sly

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 7, 9:13pm

Post #32 of 38 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm. Yes. I'll try those next time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep 'em Flat, but maybe leave out the Threads . . .Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12, 10:05pm

Post #33 of 38 (2579 views)
Shortcut
When is the best time [In reply to] Can't Post

for one to eat the Tbread? Breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses....? And don't even get me started on time differences.
Could one make a batch of flat and a batch of thready? Then you could mix and match on a whim, depending on the quality of the conversation around the table.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 12, 10:13pm

Post #34 of 38 (2574 views)
Shortcut
Lessa could... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Keep 'em Flat, but maybe leave out the Threads . . .Angelic

You could send them to Pern, and Lessa could feed them to Ramoth... whoops, wrong Forum UnsureBlushCrazy

(This post was edited by Attalus on Jan 12, 10:13pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 13, 3:44am

Post #35 of 38 (2551 views)
Shortcut
I"ll make a batch with Quantum Flux Flour, so we can all munch away [In reply to] Can't Post

at the same time.

It's the yeast I can do.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 13, 5:06am

Post #36 of 38 (2539 views)
Shortcut
The world kneads this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18, 2:55am

Post #37 of 38 (2447 views)
Shortcut
And you've risen to the occasion. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

Jan 18, 3:09am

Post #38 of 38 (2446 views)
Shortcut
At yeast her pun made sense. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.